• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

ruxtpin

Banned
Speaking of heat, humidity and the sun - everyone make sure you got your sunscreen on. I think I'm paying for my years of running without a shirt on, by having some slightly aggressive spots on my skin needing to be removed.

Gibbo

btw, anyone has any tips in preventing abrasions in the lower half while running? I've got a seton(from a fistula op last year) deep in my butt area, which causes abrasions when I run- to a point where I usually bleed after my usual 5km runs.

I usually powder the shit out of the area before running- but that doesn't seem to do much

ruxtpin

Banned
Might try some body glide. I think that's the name of the product, sorta like a stick of deodorant. I use that for my longer runs. Should be able to find some at a specialty running store or Amazon.

Zoe

Anybody have trouble showering after a run because of getting lightheaded?

Feel so nasty right now >_<

SomethingClever

Neo Member
had a great time at Brooklyn Half yesterday. ran 1:29:44 which is nearly 8 min PR. one of the pacers from Niketown was pacing the 1:30 group so had a familiar face to comfort me when i wanted to quit like 5 times lol. with that broke all my goals for the year. sub 20 5k(19:40), sub 42 10k(41:14), and sub 1:30 half. hopefully it translates when i attempt nyc marathon later this year. will have to cut 45 minutes off my marathon to BQ.

Damn, nice! Your PRs are pretty close to mine, and I'm also hoping for a BQ at some point.

I'm currently sitting at 19:15 for 5k, 40:45 for 10k and 1:33 for the half. I'm signed up for an October marathon, but I don't actually think I'll target a BQ time, because I haven't been able to really put in enough miles in this training cycle to avoid blowing up. The 1:33 was pretty recent, and a bit disappointing. But, to be fair, I was slightly injured in that race and only going 90-95%.

lush

Just transitioned to trail running and it's been kicking my ass, live in a hilly/mountainous area. Much more satisfying as a whole. Do i need to invest in a different pair of sneakers or anything? Also, any tips for not constantly eating spiderwebs and those stupid flying bugs that dedicate their time to flying right in front of your face?

Running on Brooks Ghost 6s at this point.

Just transitioned to trail running and it's been kicking my ass, live in a hilly/mountainous area. Much more satisfying as a whole. Do i need to invest in a different pair of sneakers or anything? Also, any tips for not constantly eating spiderwebs and those stupid flying bugs that dedicate their time to flying right in front of your face?

Running on Brooks Ghost 6s at this point.

Honestly for me I tried more trail running shoes and I found most of them too heavy to really enjoy long term. I stick with just normal running shoes, though I do go for some that have more of a one piece, solid bottom so that rocks don't get crammed into the treads and so that pieces of the sole don't get ripped off.

lush

Honestly for me I tried more trail running shoes and I found most of them too heavy to really enjoy long term. I stick with just normal running shoes, though I do go for some that have more of a one piece, solid bottom so that rocks don't get crammed into the treads and so that pieces of the sole don't get ripped off.
Okay, good, didn't know if they were really necessary or not. Not had any issues with the soles on this model before, my 3rd pair. Not too many small rocks to worry about to this point, I've been keeping an eye on it though when I'm done each time.

kottila

Okay, good, didn't know if they were really necessary or not. Not had any issues with the soles on this model before, my 3rd pair. Not too many small rocks to worry about to this point, I've been keeping an eye on it though when I'm done each time.

I live in a very mountainous area and most people use either inov8 (i have the 212, or a similar salomon/la sportiva shoe. Light, soft rubber for grip, and gives you great contact with the trail/mountain

Zoe

Did my first 7+ mile run this morning at a store event. So slow, missed the raffle ;_;

Got an 8k next week which I'm not worried about, but then there's a 10 mile at the end of October...

Linius

Did the Ajax Foundation Run in Amsterdam today, the 10km. It's a year and a couple of days now since I did my first ever run so it's nice to see the progression I've made. Beat my personal best on the 10km today by running 47:54, which I'm quite content with.

This will probably be my last event of the year, so I collected four medals this year. Planning on running a lot more next year and also participating in events more. I've been really slacking a lot of the time. Especially during the summer I hardly did a thing. But I know if I take this more serious and train on a more regular basis I should be able to get faster and runner longer distances. This year the longest event I did was a ten English mile one, next year I hope to do at least one 1/2 marathon.

Servbot24

Banned
Couple days ago I ran 12 miles which was a new record! Average pace 10min/mi. Training for a marathon in February.

Just 3 months ago I maxed out at 3 miles.

Linius

I like rain, just not too much. But some rain ain't that bad, keeps me fresh. Just as I prefer cold weather for running.

Did the Ajax Foundation Run in Amsterdam today, the 10km. It's a year and a couple of days now since I did my first ever run so it's nice to see the progression I've made. Beat my personal best on the 10km today by running 47:54, which I'm quite content with.

This will probably be my last event of the year, so I collected four medals this year. Planning on running a lot more next year and also participating in events more. I've been really slacking a lot of the time. Especially during the summer I hardly did a thing. But I know if I take this more serious and train on a more regular basis I should be able to get faster and runner longer distances. This year the longest event I did was a ten English mile one, next year I hope to do at least one 1/2 marathon.
Your post inspired me to get off my ass. I skipped the last two days. Temperatures. Make all the difference. It is about 65 here in Austin right now. If it was not for some stomach issues I would have kept running..
Distance: 8 miles
Time: 1h3min
Need new shoes though.

Zoe

65 what? Fahrenheit? If so, that's 18 degrees Celsius. That doesn't sound so bad for Austin right?
It's actually quite good. We were in the 90's just a couple of days ago though.

I'm still leary of running in thunderstorms however which is why we haven't gone out this weekend. Maybe this afternoon...

Linius

Oh yeah, a thunderstorm is not a good idea. The chances of getting struck by lightning are very small but it's too big of a risk. Not worth it.

I guess in The Netherlands I'm kind of lucky with the climate as far as running goes. We usually don't have insane summers. And when it does get warm it will cool down in the evening, or I go out early morning. And as long as it doesn't get too icey the winters are great for running as well. Texas summers are killing I imagine.

studyguy

Used to run cross country during high school and college competitively. Ended up falling out of the groove a couple years back. Apps that make a game of running sort of helped me get back into it. Forget what it was called, I used one that used GPS to make it seem like you were in a zombie apocalypse. Based your runs off of how many zombies were in the area, short sprints after long bits of regular jogs.

Also podcasts and audiobooks. I've listened to chapters of audiobooks and simply gotten lost in the run listening.
Gonna check out some of these podcasts, been getting lazy this year.

Linius

Running events are really my biggest motivator. They're just so much fun to do. And those are the moments I want to get a good time and in order to do that I'll just have to train. Also been experimenting with longer distances at home and exploring new routes around town so I don't get bored and see the same park every damn time.

Servbot24

Banned
It's actually quite good. We were in the 90's just a couple of days ago though.

I'm still leary of running in thunderstorms however which is why we haven't gone out this weekend. Maybe this afternoon...

Did a 10 mile run here in Austin, was quite nice. Very slight rain helped keep things refreshing.

Zoe

Did a 10 mile run here in Austin, was quite nice. Very slight rain helped keep things refreshing.
That's how the 8k felt last month. Unfortunately I'm slow, and long runs take up our whole morning, so the storms got in our way (don't know if yesterday's made it past far northwest Austin).

Really need to work on my time management.

I've ran 3-4 days a week for 8 years or so. I never progressed past regular 5-6 km runs. It's the most comfortable distance by far. Even now I like to run 3 km (at 13 minutes) for a quick run.

I can't comprehend through my experiences how you could get enjoyment out of a regular 10-15km. I did sydney city2surf (Hilly, 14km), have a 12 km coming up, they are tests but man screw doing that all the time.

Respect to the long distance runners. Better man than I am

crispyben

Funny to see this thread pop up, I ran my first 20K in Paris yesterday. It was my first stop on the way to my first marathon, also in Paris next April, and overall I'm pretty pleased at how it went. I did 1h41'29" (actual distance: 20.25K), which is a teeny tiny bit slower than the 12km/h I was aiming for, but I really underestimated the time and energy wasted by having to weave through the crowds, not to mention being blocked in the narrower passages... Still, I was exhausted by the end, but I think I'll be fine for the marathon if I keep training, though I will be aiming to finish first and foremost, and no slower than 4 hours if possible :)

Gibbo

Have got the standard chartered marathon on Dec 7, and the most that ive run (in a single session ) in the last 2 months is 7 km. I signed up for the half marathon. Welp. Doesnt help that i had plantar faciitis in the early part of the year, and a persistent back pain until 3 weeks ago.

Do you guys think making up the remaining 14km in a span of under 2 months is a realistic target?

crispyben

Have got the standard chartered marathon on Dec 7, and the most that ive run (in a single session ) in the last 2 months is 7 km. I signed up for the half marathon. Welp. Doesnt help that i had plantar faciitis in the early part of the year, and a persistent back pain until 3 weeks ago.

Do you guys think making up the remaining 14km in a span of under 2 months is a realistic target?
It really depends on the speed you want to run the semi! Two months is enough to build up your endurance and velocity if you train seriously 2/3 times a week, but you could always focus on endurance and aim for a 2h finish...

Linius

And of course your previous experience with running. If you've done this a while now it takes a lot less time to get back in there. The most important thing to remember is to listen to your body I guess. You can make things worse if you go over the edge and get injured.

I also think you'll notice how it goes soon enough during your training. You should get comfortable with running longer distances quickly again.

Subscribed. Didn't even know there was a running thread!

Ran my first ever half marathon last September at just under 2 hours, which isn't bad considering I couldn;t even run past a mile in the January. Hardly ran this year due to different goals, but I plan on running 2 next year, one in June and another in October. And then taking part in Tough Mudder somewhere between.

I'll start training again in January. Not looking forward to those first few months!

Gibbo

It really depends on the speed you want to run the semi! Two months is enough to build up your endurance and velocity if you train seriously 2/3 times a week, but you could always focus on endurance and aim for a 2h finish...

Not too concerned about speed tbh. I just want to finish the race without passing out and with minimal walking time.

2 hours is considered really good for me tbh. I finished the 1/2 2 years back at 2 hours 15 min. And that was with 4 months of training!!

Im currently running 4 km 5 days a week. Planning on switching that to 2 days 5 km, 1 day 10km

ran my second marathon in Chicago this past Sunday. had about a 35 minute PR. I was pretty ecstatic since my goal was 3:15. i'm planning to run 3:10 in nyc marathon in a couple weeks if my body recovers properly.

1cJvXBJ.png

NCnjoHF.jpg

Maybe some one here can help me here, every time I run more than 5 or so minutes I get a pain in my right hip that prevents me from running any further. Anyone have any tips to prevent this?

Linius

Maybe some one here can help me here, every time I run more than 5 or so minutes I get a pain in my right hip that prevents me from running any further. Anyone have any tips to prevent this?

Sounds like the kind of problem you need to see a doctor or physio for. It's certainly no good if you get heavy pains preventing you from running. But without knowing or seeing you even someone with medical expertise can't help you from behind a computer I'm afraid.

I am excited to be doing my second Nike Seoul race tomorrow. I had been training for a PB in the 21k, but a Sciatica problem caused me to miss a couple weeks of training and now have to do the 10k. I still could have got round a 21k course, but thought it would be best to just give my all for the 10k and focus on a 21k event in December. As long as I get round in under 50 tomorrow I will be happy, but am still almost a minute per KM slower than what I am capable of. Curse the darn Sciatica flair up. Hopefully the training for the 21k in December will get me back down to around 4 minutes per KM

I fucking need to run more. It is hard. Work has been heavy and I can't just throw my daughter in the running stroller any more. And at this point, when she rides the bike and I run, she completely kicks my ass.

Linius

I am excited to be doing my second Nike Seoul race tomorrow. I had been training for a PB in the 21k, but a Sciatica problem caused me to miss a couple weeks of training and now have to do the 10k. I still could have got round a 21k course, but thought it would be best to just give my all for the 10k and focus on a 21k event in December. As long as I get round in under 50 tomorrow I will be happy, but am still almost a minute per KM slower than what I am capable of. Curse the darn Sciatica flair up. Hopefully the training for the 21k in December will get me back down to around 4 minutes per KM

Four minutes is pretty fast. You run better than Arsenal play football!

I fucking need to run more. It is hard. Work has been heavy and I can't just throw my daughter in the running stroller any more. And at this point, when she rides the bike and I run, she completely kicks my ass.

I see a lot of people running with kids on their bikes with them in this neighbourhood. Great parenting :D

Four minutes is pretty fast. You run better than Arsenal play football!

haha, should make clear the 4 minutes is for 10k. My best for 21k is around 5 minutes per KM. Which I was hoping to go under If I did the 21 KM tomorrow. Hopefully, I will can get to that back to pace for December, and down to 4 minutes for the 10Km in some of my training runs.

Linius

fRMbCPx.png

Starting a schedule to improve my 10km to a time under 45 minutes. This is also marks the start of heart rate training for me. In order to follow the schedule I'll have to run certain distances in a said heart rate range provided by that website. In order to calculate my five heart rate segments I had to find out my lowest heart rate at peace and my highest heart rate during running. To find find out my highest I had to do the above run, 15 minutes slow start, 15 minutes of maxing out and 15 minutes of calming things down. Too bad Runtastic fucked up the first km, but other than that it's accurate. My range is between 51 and 184 apparently.

If I manage to follow the schedule to the date I should be done by week 52/week 1 -isch.

Argh, My time in the Nike 10K was pretty poor, but still put me in the top 5%. It was 52 minutes in the end, but I just couldn't build up a good pace. My group was the last to start and I had 30,000 in front of me and I don't think half of them knew what they were doing. There were 21kers who were walking after 1km!!!!!!!. There were also people with pushchairs and people who had brought there under 10s to run!!!! The course was very narrow and I spent most of my time shuffling from side to side to get through. Last year I was in the first group to start and was able to run a much faster time on an open road.

I also saw that had I run my PB it would have put me in the top 10. This sciatica problem really did fuck me over and I am nowhere near where I should be. I am gonna start a new Nike 21K program today for the a race on 14th December. I feel like if I ran a 21K now I would be around the 2 hour 10 mark or something. Hopefully, with 7 weeks till the race I can get down to my PB of 1h44, but that was just a run round my town which included a massive hill. So I hope that I can get under 1h40 following a proper training program.

That race will then give me exactly 3 months till the Seoul Marathon, which is my big aim for 2015.

AxeMan

I'm thinking of getting a new running watch. I've currently got a Nike +
nike_plus_sportwatch_gps_0.ashx

but would like something better. I've been doing some research but there are way too many options.
Anyone have any recommendations or ones to stay away from?

Top Bottom