• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
It happens to the best of us. You'll bounce back for sure. Just keep continuing the program! :)

This got me thinking, maybe part of the problem was I don't actually have a program anymore. This was the first run after finishing my c25k. I should look up some training things I think? What's a good kind of routine to have now? I'm walking into this blind again, blah.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Just did Week 9 day 1 of Zen Labs 10k app. Didn't realize I lost a lot of my conditioning. I was able to run 4.5 miles in 40 min so it was not too bad for my first week back.

max_505

This got me thinking, maybe part of the problem was I don't actually have a program anymore. This was the first run after finishing my c25k. I should look up some training things I think? What's a good kind of routine to have now? I'm walking into this blind again, blah.

If you want to increase your mileage but still want to be in a program like C25K, there are a couple of programs like that, but this time it trains you for 10K.

Bridge-to-10K

That app's not free, though. But there are some free apps like this one that are bare bones compared to the others - it's just a timer and audio cues like run, walk, cooldown, stop.

bjaelke

I use mine on a regular basis, no complaints other than it's hard to keep it from getting scratched since it's a 'lifestyle device.'

Yeah I suppose that's to be expected.

Ended up getting one yesterday. Just waiting around for the weather to dry up so I can take it for a run.

Fistwell

What are your objectives? Once you know what you want to achieve and by when, it becomes easier to think up a training plan.

Fistwell

What do you guys think about barefoot running?
I like being able to feel the ground below my feet and I'm a lot more comfortable hitting the ground with my forefoot rather than the heel. There's no place around here for me to literaly run barefoot though, but I do prefer simpler, more flexible shoes over thicker shoes with cushier soles.

so tonight I went for a run after work. I generally run in the mornings during the weekdays (6am ish) and then around 10am on Satdy.

Today I started my run around 6pm.

It was torture!

Is there an explanation as to running at a different time of the day affecting your run?

My legs were really sore the whole run, like I never properly warmed up after the first 10mins or so, when I am really feeling good during the morning runs.

Fistwell

so tonight I went for a run after work. I generally run in the mornings during the weekdays (6am ish) and then around 10am on Satdy.

It was torture!

Is there an explanation as to running at a different time of the day affecting your run?

My legs were really sore the whole run, like I never properly warmed up after the first 10mins or so, when I am really feeling good during the morning runs.
Could be any sort of thing, maybe tired from your day, maybe not recuperated from yesterday's effort. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Aikidoka

What do you guys think about barefoot running?

I'm assuming you are using that term interchangeably with "minimalist" and "zero-drop". Everything I've read agrees that going towards a minimalist shoe is something most every runner needs to do. Heel-striking and having a high heel shoe results in increased pressure and torque on your legs (and slows down your stride).

However, many caution that the transition towards a minimalist shoe should be gradual as your body may not be adapted to the lack of cushioning.

If you really mean "running with no shoes", I used to go barefoot just about everywhere I was allowed. It's pretty stupid and wouldn't recommend it.

It was torture!

Well, how hot was it? Or, perhaps more importantly, what was the Dew Point? A high Dew Point can make running a real slag.

Zoe

When I heard barefoot running now, I think of this:

2E8sDxs.jpg

Somebody in my running group runs with something like that. Though he will sometimes go completely barefoot on the track.

I don't know if it was because the weather was cloudy, colder than most days this month or the new shoes but it was a good day: managed 11.8km@4:11 pace. Arm/shoulder still hurt while running but if the next few days are like today seems like a bargain to me.

Speaking of shoes, thanks Festwill for the write-up a few pages back. It's always interesting to read about people's transitions into a different kind of shoe.

Fistwell

Speaking of shoes, thanks Festwill for the write-up a few pages back. It's always interesting to read about people's transitions into a different kind of shoe.
Cheers.

I don't know if it was because the weather was cloudy, colder than most days this month or the new shoes but it was a good day: managed 11.8km@4:11 pace. Arm/shoulder still hurt while running but if the next few days are like today seems like a bargain to me.
Pretty great pace for 10+K. Was that a 10K PR?

yogloo

I'm assuming you are using that term interchangeably with "minimalist" and "zero-drop". Everything I've read agrees that going towards a minimalist shoe is something most every runner needs to do. Heel-striking and having a high heel shoe results in increased pressure and torque on your legs (and slows down your stride).

However, many caution that the transition towards a minimalist shoe should be gradual as your body may not be adapted to the lack of cushioning.

If you really mean "running with no shoes", I used to go barefoot just about everywhere I was allowed. It's pretty stupid and wouldn't recommend it.

I was actually thinking about going literally barefoot. But only at certain places, maybe the running track that I frequent. Bad idea I guess?

Fistwell

I was actually thinking about going literally barefoot. But only at certain places, maybe the running track that I frequent. Bad idea I guess?
Won't kill you to give it a shot, but I'd think tartan would grate on your feet a bit. Grass would probably be more comfortable.

Here's a bit about the topic, it's old and doesn't have any particularly transcendent insights, but he mentions the abrasion from tartan.

Could be any sort of thing, maybe tired from your day, maybe not recuperated from yesterday's effort. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Well, how hot was it? Or, perhaps more importantly, what was the Dew Point? A high Dew Point can make running a real slag.

I am in Australia and it is winter here at the moment.

I ran on Monday and Tuesday morning at 610am. It was between 0 and 3 degC (32-37degF) dew point temperature the last three days at 6am (I cant get info on Monday or Tuesday but its been similar to that).

The dew point on Thursday at 6pm when I ran was 11degC (52degF).

So I suppose that is a big increase in dew point than normal, however, its not like it is "hot" at 11degC.

Cheers.

Pretty great pace for 10+K. Was that a 10K PR?

I wouldn't call it a 10K PR since I had to cross some traffic lights and stopping always gives you time to rest, but it's the fastest average pace so far. Still, it gives me hope that by the next 10K I'll be able to hit at least 4:20min/km.

Aikidoka

The reason I wouldn't recommend it is because of how much pain you have to go through. Crossing searing hot asphalt or pebbled walkways suck, then you have just small rocks on every pathway. I also cut my foot on glass once, which is when I started wearing shoes again (did it for a few months).

But if you are just running on a track, may not be so bad. To me it's just too inconvenient for no proven gains over simply wearing a minimalist shoe, but if it's on your mind to do it, you might as well go for it and see if you enjoy it.

I'd definitely recommend making the transition to barefoot running very carefully.

Minimalism is great and rewarding under the right circumstances but you have to progress very gradually if you're used to running in normal shoes and want to keep yourself from getting injured. It's usually best to start with barefoot strides in soft grass (100m works well) and build from there.

I know some guys who are pretty adamant on running barefoot during normal runs on streets, downtown, whatever and their feet have adapted pretty well (huge callouses haha). Then again these guys run sub-15 5ks and barefoot running is just another challenge for them to take on.

yogloo

Won't kill you to give it a shot, but I'd think tartan would grate on your feet a bit. Grass would probably be more comfortable.

Here's a bit about the topic, it's old and doesn't have any particularly transcendent insights, but he mentions the abrasion from tartan.

The reason I wouldn't recommend it is because of how much pain you have to go through. Crossing searing hot asphalt or pebbled walkways suck, then you have just small rocks on every pathway. I also cut my foot on glass once, which is when I started wearing shoes again (did it for a few months).

But if you are just running on a track, may not be so bad. To me it's just too inconvenient for no proven gains over simply wearing a minimalist shoe, but if it's on your mind to do it, you might as well go for it and see if you enjoy it.

I'd definitely recommend making the transition to barefoot running very carefully.

Minimalism is great and rewarding under the right circumstances but you have to progress very gradually if you're used to running in normal shoes and want to keep yourself from getting injured. It's usually best to start with barefoot strides in soft grass (100m works well) and build from there.

I know some guys who are pretty adamant on running barefoot during normal runs on streets, downtown, whatever and their feet have adapted pretty well (huge callouses haha). Then again these guys run sub-15 5ks and barefoot running is just another challenge for them to take on.

Thanks for the inputs!!

MikeDip

Today was a good run but my gps seemed to cut out 1.62km in. I kept seeing my pace go higher and higher and was very confused. I finally realized something was wrong when pace went above 10km/h even after I sped up.

Fistwell

Today was a good run but my gps seemed to cut out 1.62km in. I kept seeing my pace go higher and higher and was very confused. I finally realized something was wrong when pace went above 10km/h even after I sped up.
Happens now and then. Lost GPS signal on one of my very first long-ish run. Was disappointed to not see my pace and where on the map I had run through. But hey, there's always next time.

Edit: Gawd, after a strong weekend a week prior (4:00 pace on 7.5K, 1h35 semi), this weekend all went to shit. Had an old friend coming over, stayed up late drinking. Woke up late and hungover. Hot humind weather outside (30C, which is a lot for here and for me). Squeezed in a 7.5K instead of the usual sunday long run, shit pace too. But hey, at least I sweated out some of this alcohol (and tacos... and chocolate mousse... and icecream.... and...).

MikeDip

Happens now and then. Lost GPS signal on one of my very first long-ish run. Was disappointed to not see my pace and where on the map I had run through. But hey, there's always next time.

Edit: Gawd, after a strong weekend a week prior (4:00 pace on 7.5K, 1h35 semi), this weekend all went to shit. Had an old friend coming over, stayed up late drinking. Woke up late and hungover. Hot humind weather outside (30C, which is a lot for here and for me). Squeezed in a 7.5K instead of the usual sunday long run, shit pace too. But hey, at least I sweated out some of this alcohol (and tacos... and chocolate mousse... and icecream.... and...).

30C! Jesus, that is way too hot for me to even go outside, much less run.

EDIT: HAHAHA amazing gps nonsense today too. It kept skipping around so fast the voice thing counting out each km couldn't keep up at times. "Ran 1km in 6 mi- ran 2km in - ran- r- ran-" after 30 minutes it said I ran 214 km. My gps is so fucked, I need to fix this or something. I think it kept bouncing my location to nearby cell towers.

30C! Jesus, that is way too hot for me to even go outside, much less run.

I have set up a small and simple weather station in the shade outside my window and I'm getting a temperature of 29ºC and relative humidity of 40%. It's been like this since the start of July; autumn can't come soon enough.

EDIT: HAHAHA amazing gps nonsense today too. It kept skipping around so fast the voice thing counting out each km couldn't keep up at times. "Ran 1km in 6 mi- ran 2km in - ran- r- ran-" after 30 minutes it said I ran 214 km. My gps is so fucked, I need to fix this or something. I think it kept bouncing my location to nearby cell towers.

Do you use your phone? Have you tried turning wifi and bluetooth on to see if it helps?

A slow day is better than a still one!

Ploppee

Hey RunGAF!

So I have been running a fair amount recently after some encouragement from colleagues.

It's been 2 months and I can regularly run around the 2 mile mark in 20 mins or so. My fastest mile is 8:42 and longest run is 2.5 miles. I just feel like I should be improving a lot more than I am.

I have proper running shoes for my gait (Nike Lunarglide 6's) and I don't have a poor diet, I used to have a bit of excess weight but nothing major and in the last 2 months it's mostly shifted.

I use the Nike+ app which gives me a good bit of encouragement but i'm worried about my ambition failing on me at this rate.

Does anyone have any tips that could improve my endurance or distance? I run every other day if not every 3 days.

Thanks pals.

Zoe

So just how different are Hokas from normal shoes?

Tonight's workout will have demo shoes available, but we're also doing one mile trials and I wouldn't want to mess up my pace...

Edit: Ended up using the Hoka anyway. Felt really weird and my feet were on fire after one mile. Don't know if that was the shoes' fault though or the 100+ degree temps.

Kwixotik

So I was doing well for a few weeks, increasing my 1.5 mile run time to 12:40 min from 15 min, and then running up til 20 minutes when I used to stop at 15. According to a physical therapy chart I was looking at, my cardiovascular health went from very bad to fair in just a few weeks.

Then I don't know what happened. I took like 4 days off running and when I got back to it I was awful. Also developed some knee and ankle pain/clicking on my left side the day I got back to it. I stopped running because it was making the pain worse. A week later and it still starts to come on as soon as I walk quickly.

Any ideas? I really want to get back to it, I'm starting to get sluggish again. I think it might be somewhat due to having a high arch on my left foot and a relatively flat right foot, as well as a total lack of ankle dorsiflexion. Still, I'd think if I was going to get pain it would be on the side with the flat arch.

Fistwell

after 30 minutes it said I ran 214 km.
Decent pace. You've improved a lot. ;)

A slow day is better than a still one!
Yeah I guess... I just wish I was fast all day every day.

What's everyone's policy on rest/recovery and what kind of mileage (kilometrage?) are you guys doing? I've been going out less and less often, down to 4 days/week, to try and make sure I get enough recovery time after "hard" efforts. I leave one day of no running (cross training) after each interval session day and after the (usually) long sunday outing. I do feel more fresh when I go out and I think I'm able to put in better efforts. But I'm just only sort of experimenting with it and messing around with different approaches. Going out only 4 days/7 is cutting down Kms/week a bit, but it's still (typically) somewhere between 60 and 70.

Problem is: reading up online, I can find everything and the opposite. Some people tell you you should be going out everyday and get a lot of time on your feet, others insist on leaving 1 day of rest (or, at worst, of active recovery) after a hard session. It also obviously depends on your current fitness level and objectives. My current objective is to manage to run consistenly and comfortably in 4min/K over 7.5K, then moving on to sub 40:00 10K. Fitness level is harder to characterize. Adding a cple more outings, I'd be able to push up weekly Ks to 85 without much problem. But I don't know if that'd be beneficial.

I just wanna go fast, why does it have to be so complicated?!

Aikidoka

Decent pace. You've improved a lot. ;)

Yeah I guess... I just wish I was fast all day every day.

What's everyone's policy on rest/recovery and what kind of mileage (kilometrage?) are you guys doing? I've been going out less and less often, down to 4 days/week, to try and make sure I get enough recovery time after "hard" efforts. I leave one day of no running (cross training) after each interval session day and after the (usually) long sunday outing. I do feel more fresh when I go out and I think I'm able to put in better efforts. But I'm just only sort of experimenting with it and messing around with different approaches. Going out only 4 days/7 is cutting down Kms/week a bit, but it's still (typically) somewhere between 60 and 70.

Problem is: reading up online, I can find everything and the opposite. Some people tell you you should be going out everyday and get a lot of time on your feet, others insist on leaving 1 day of rest (or, at worst, of active recovery) after a hard session. It also obviously depends on your current fitness level and objectives. My current objective is to manage to run consistenly and comfortably in 4min/K over 7.5K, then moving on to sub 40:00 10K. Fitness level is harder to characterize. Adding a cple more outings, I'd be able to push up weekly Ks to 85 without much problem. But I don't know if that'd be beneficial.

I just wanna go fast, why does it have to be so complicated?!

I wass just reading through a text called Lore of Running, which is basically a compilation of research related to running. The author cites an expert in swimming who thinks that an athlete should never be fully recovered before the next training day so long as there isn't a drop in his or her performance. Basically, you want to hit a sweet spot in how fatigued you are throughout the week. But, you need to be on the lookout for developing Overtraining Syndrome.

Ways to tell if you are overtraining is by noticing a drop in performance over the weeks (e.g., running the same pace require more effort than normal), persistent soreness, higher susceptibility to illness, loss of appetite, etc... One researcher found a simple test that correlates with overtraining: Measure your heart rate after immediately waking up (lying down) and then 5 minutes later after standing up. If you're well-trained then the difference should be around 5 beats/min; overtrained if it's around 20 beats/min. Some say that "when in doubt, rest."

Really it seems that athletes just need to try and be objective about their current capabilities and their level of fatigue. As far as increasing mileage, I've heard some people suggest to run twice on one day instead of sacrificing a rest day. Do a moderate run early on and an easy run in the evening (but never two hard runs in the same day).

Fistwell

Hm, interesting. I'll check my heartbeat rate and see what it looks like. I'm positive I'm nowhere close to overtrained right now but I'll check it out anyways out of curiosity (and use it as a baseline for when/if I try pushing up weekly mileage).

Problems I had in looking for drops in performance was, it could be linked to any sort of thing beside overtraining (outside temp, bad sleep, eating bad, not enough carbs, too much food, not hydrated enough). So... I've been kind of very confused and clueless about my actual level of rest, like fumbling in the dark. Probably just me being insecure and overthinking things, think I should just keep rolling with what works for me. Still, the more info the better, so I'll keep an eye on the heart rate. In any case, thanks for chiming in.

So I have been running a fair amount recently after some encouragement from colleagues.

It's been 2 months and I can regularly run around the 2 mile mark in 20 mins or so. My fastest mile is 8:42 and longest run is 2.5 miles. I just feel like I should be improving a lot more than I am.
First off, congratulations! Picking up running is not easy, so congrats on doing the effort and trying something new!

Does anyone have any tips that could improve my endurance or distance? I run every other day if not every 3 days.
There are two simple ways you could go about this. Either alternate running and walking to increase distance (look up the couch to 5K program for example), then progressively reduce walking phases as you build up fitness, or (which is what I did) just run slower and increase distance. Good luck! When you're out there suffering, remember that it'll get easier!! (eventually)

So just how different are Hokas from normal shoes?

Tonight's workout will have demo shoes available, but we're also doing one mile trials and I wouldn't want to mess up my pace...

Edit: Ended up using the Hoka anyway. Felt really weird and my feet were on fire after one mile. Don't know if that was the shoes' fault though or the 100+ degree temps.
Wasn't familiar with the brand. That looks like a lot of shoe.

Any ideas? I really want to get back to it, I'm starting to get sluggish again. I think it might be somewhat due to having a high arch on my left foot and a relatively flat right foot, as well as a total lack of ankle dorsiflexion. Still, I'd think if I was going to get pain it would be on the side with the flat arch.
Eh, the body is weird like that, sometimes the other side has to compensate and is the one getting hurt. Should get it checked out by a specialist.

MikeDip

Quick question, what's a good number of times to go out running for 5-6k total distance per run in a week? 5 times a week? What's a good schedule?

When I was doing my C25K I went out every other day, or sometimes with a 2 day gap but now I wanna do more (Only if safe/useful)

What should I do? 2 days on, 1 off on repeat? 5 days on 1 off? Assume my body is feeling fine and I have the time.

Fistwell

Quick question, what's a good number of times to go out running for 5-6k total distance per run in a week? 5 times a week? What's a good schedule?

When I was doing my C25K I went out every other day, or sometimes with a 2 day gap but now I wanna do more (Only if safe/useful)

What should I do? 2 days on, 1 off on repeat? 5 days on 1 off? Assume my body is feeling fine and I have the time.
lol I've been struggling with the same questions (see above). I'd say it'd probably be beneficial and safe to bump it up a little bit in your case, especially if you keep a moderate pace. When I was around were you are (warning: circumstancial evidence incoming), I built up from 7-8Ks 3ish times a week to 6 times a week, progressively over a cple of months. At the time I felt it helped me progress. I did get plenty faster (although I started from very slow, so not saying much), and I built up endurance as well. How much of that precisely was due to increased Ks I can't know for sure, but I did feel it helped.

I'd try going from every other day to 2 days on, one day rest, and see where to go from there. They'll tell you to be mindful of not building up mileage too quickly and they're probably right (+10ish% from a week to the next). I did some retarded things from a week to the next and survived mostly injury free, so, eh... just be reasonable(-ish) and listen to what your body tells you.

It definitely changed my balance a bit. I felt sore in different places than usual afterwards.
Could be a good thing, stressing your body differently a bit. Were they at all comfortable though or just bad-weird?

Zoe

Could be a good thing, stressing your body differently a bit. Were they at all comfortable though or just bad-weird?

Oh no, they were super comfortable! When you're just walking around it's like walking on memory foam.

Except for the heat though. I'll be running in my regular shoes tonight so i'll be able to tell if that was just those shoes or the temperature.

Ploppee

First off, congratulations! Picking up running is not easy, so congrats on doing the effort and trying something new!

There are two simple ways you could go about this. Either alternate running and walking to increase distance (look up the couch to 5K program for example), then progressively reduce walking phases as you build up fitness, or (which is what I did) just run slower and increase distance. Good luck! When you're out there suffering, remember that it'll get easier!! (eventually)

Thanks for the tips! I'll keep at it and have a look into my pacing as I have found i set off quite fast so maybe have some potential burning out happening.

I need to get on one of those plans really as I always run by myself so it's hard to gauge if I'm actually improving at a good enough rate.

keffri

Hoka One One shoes are traditionally made for longer distance running like marathons and trail running. I've personally never used them before, but with that being said you would probably get used to them after breaking them in.

Late Flag

Hey RunGAF!

I have proper running shoes for my gait (Nike Lunarglide 6's) and I don't have a poor diet, I used to have a bit of excess weight but nothing major and in the last 2 months it's mostly shifted.

I use the Nike+ app which gives me a good bit of encouragement but i'm worried about my ambition failing on me at this rate.

Thanks pals.

Try building up your mileage to the point that you can run continuously for 3-4 miles. Pace doesn't matter -- actually slower is better at this point. Just focus on covering the distance.

Once you get comfortable with that, your next intermediate-term goal is to build up a long run once a week that goes maybe 5 or 6 miles. Your weekly schedule might look something like this:

Monday: 3 miles
Tuesday: 3 miles
Wednesday: off
Thursday: 3 miles
Friday: off
Saturday: 6 miles
Sunday: off

(Just an example). For most runners, and especially people are just starting out, 99.9% of your gains are going to come from gently adding mileage. All of your runs should be a nice, easy pace. Over time you'll find that your "nice, easy pace" gradually gets faster.

max_505

I want to switch to running in the morning (just after waking up), but I have a couple of questions first:

1. Won't I be dehydrated if I run just after I wake up? If so, is it bad if I gulp down a glass or two of water and go straight to warming up/running?

2. I avoid running immediately after eating because it gives me stomach pains and side stitches, but what about running on an empty stomach? Is it ok?

Fistwell

I want to switch to running in the morning (just after waking up), but I have a couple of questions first:

1. Won't I be dehydrated if I run just after I wake up? If so, is it bad if I gulp down a glass or two of water and go straight to warming up/running?

2. I avoid running immediately after eating because it gives me stomach pains and side stitches, but what about running on an empty stomach? Is it ok?
From experience I'd say you'll be fine. Don't overdo it with water, have a cple of gulps if your mouth is dry or you feel thirsty, don't bother drinking anything if you don't feel a clear need to. And unless you're running more than an hour at a somewhat intense pace, don't bother with food. If you wanted to eat, you'd probably need to wake up a cple of hours before, gulp it down, then go back to bed.

Expect to run a tad slower than you're used to though, muscles can take a bit to wake up after you get out of bed.

max_505

From experience I'd say you'll be fine. Don't overdo it with water, have a cple of gulps if your mouth is dry or you feel thirsty, don't bother drinking anything if you don't feel a clear need to. And unless you're running more than an hour at a somewhat intense pace, don't bother with food. If you wanted to eat, you'd probably need to wake up a cple of hours before, gulp it down, then go back to bed.

Expect to run a tad slower than you're used to though, muscles can take a bit to wake up after you get out of bed.

Thanks for the advice. Seeing as I'm not a morning person, I'll have to get used to it so I might have to drag my body off of my bed at first, but getting it out of the way first thing in the morning is what makes it appealing to me.

You should be fine. I always run on an empty stomach and never drink. I just wake up and go. Longest I have done is 21k and was fine.

Hoping to try and run again tomorrow.

My legs have felt ok this week and I hope my problem has gone away. Gonna do some stretches before I go to sleep tonight to see if everything is good and then just get up and try to start off slow with a 3k. Just to have a feeler.

As for for what fastwell said about time, i usually find my first k is horribly slow, but then run a lot better times in the morning than in the evening. I like having all my muscles feeling fresh and relaxed as opposed to having been working all day. It also mentally feels more of a chore in the evening.

Fistwell

lol I'll take that as a compliment. ;)

Hoping to try and run again tomorrow.

My legs have felt ok this week and I hope my problem has gone away. Gonna do some stretches before I go to sleep tonight to see if everything is good and then just get up and try to start off slow with a 3k. Just to have a feeler.
Good luck!

Gaf, I try running and brisk walking (I walk quite a bit every day anyway, 4 kilometres or so?) but when I try running and brisk walking, I get awful pain in my shins. Any tips?
Sounds like shin splints, you might have gone harder than your legs were able to handle. Let it rest and get back to it slowly.

Top Bottom