• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Fistwell

Haha, I don't know how you do it man
p1kx90C.png
lol I think my GPS is just trolling me now.

I know nothing of your current training schedule and if you have any goals other than sub 40 10k, but you would get much better results by not doing a time trial for it every week. Are those ran all out? If so, that's counter-productive.

Let your body recover, adapt and grow stronger. It takes weeks and months. If you go all out too often you plateau because you don't have time to recover and adapt beyond your current ability. Don't test your fitness (race) too often. Have a dedicated training cycle with specific workouts.

You're almost there and you could be even better with smarter training.

(also, don't start so fast)
Not all out, no. I'd push myself largely further in a race. And I am already "there," at least within the error margin of the GPS. Just thought it was funny I'd get precisely 40:01 twice in a row. The fast start is due to a gentle downslope over the first Km. And yes, also to me getting a little too excited to some extent, esp. after watching the world's marathon. ;D

Edit: negative splits are cool, but I'm running on a big loop where the first K is on a downslope, and the last cple of Ks have uneven ground and some upslope. I'd have to exert myself a lot more on the second half to get a negative split. I do go out too fast, but even if I had consistent effort throughout, I'd very likely still get a positive split.

Aikidoka

I got the Altra Superior 2.0 about 3 weeks ago so I've only put around 40-ish miles on them. I really love this trail running shoe so far. The shape of the toe box is really what sets it apart for me - it's fantastic not having a shoe that pinches your toes together. If someone's looking for a "zero drop" trail running shoe, I'd recommend it.

x5pence

Neo Member
I tried to start running consistently a little over a month ago but started having problems with my right ankle. I stopped until that cleared up and decided to go to a running store and was fitted for some proper running shoes. That along with learning the proper running style I decided to start the beginner to 5k program on RunKeeper. Everything was going well, my ankle felt fine and the only discomfort was sore calves after running which seems like a good thing since the muscles are doing the work and not the ligaments. After the 6th run of the program which was on Wednesday, I started feeling some pain in my left knee (lower inside part of knee). I bought a sleeve to wear Thursday night and did the 7th run on Friday which was 1.5 miles and set a new personal best and didn't feel any discomfort in my knee during the run. Throughout the day at work it started to bother me more and more. Today was the 8th scheduled run which is just 45 minutes of walking/jogging to get used to being active for long periods and I couldn't do any running. I felt okay while walking and did a decent 17min/mile pace for 3 miles but anytime I would try to start jogging my knee would hurt and I'd have to immediately go back to walking. I'm worried this is going to be the thing that causes me to take a break where 6 months later I'm back to my sedentary lifestyle and upset with myself for not sticking with it.

Any advice on what to do with the knee issue? I've been putting ice on it 3 times a day so far. Should I switch to elyptical or stationary bike for the time being until it clears up (if that even works)? Trying to stay positive and motivated here.

Just ran the San Francisco Giants 10k and broke my PR, finishing at 59:40. Still lots of room for improvement, but hey- progress!

Congratulations!

I tried to start running consistently a little over a month ago but started having problems with my right ankle. I stopped until that cleared up and decided to go to a running store and was fitted for some proper running shoes. That along with learning the proper running style I decided to start the beginner to 5k program on RunKeeper. Everything was going well, my ankle felt fine and the only discomfort was sore calves after running which seems like a good thing since the muscles are doing the work and not the ligaments. After the 6th run of the program which was on Wednesday, I started feeling some pain in my left knee (lower inside part of knee). I bought a sleeve to wear Thursday night and did the 7th run on Friday which was 1.5 miles and set a new personal best and didn't feel any discomfort in my knee during the run. Throughout the day at work it started to bother me more and more. Today was the 8th scheduled run which is just 45 minutes of walking/jogging to get used to being active for long periods and I couldn't do any running. I felt okay while walking and did a decent 17min/mile pace for 3 miles but anytime I would try to start jogging my knee would hurt and I'd have to immediately go back to walking. I'm worried this is going to be the thing that causes me to take a break where 6 months later I'm back to my sedentary lifestyle and upset with myself for not sticking with it.

Any advice on what to do with the knee issue? I've been putting ice on it 3 times a day so far. Should I switch to elyptical or stationary bike for the time being until it clears up (if that even works)? Trying to stay positive and motivated here.

Let me preface this by saying I'm not a doctor, and you should get it checked out by someone who knows what they are talking about (it sounds like patellofemoral pain syndrome from your description).

Having said this, try some leg strengthening exercises (glutes, quads) and muscle stretches (hamstrings, calf muscles). I don't know the impact of pronation on the injury rate, but maybe you need some orthoses to correct overpronation?

Putting ice on it after activity is fine. If you can use an elyptical or stationary bike without problems I'd switch to those for the time being (that way at least you won't lose the habit of doing some physical activity) else I'd try swimming.

Hope you get better soon.

Eric_S

I'd say: Consult a professional, there may be strengthening exercises that you can do to help you with your pain, and leave you a better runner in the end.

Just ran my long run today (7 miles) in 95 degrees heat and brutal humidity. Managed a not so great 1 hour 10 minute total, but as I said conditions were awful.

Sounds like a repetition injury. Do you have a bike by any chance? You may need to add some cross train to give your knee some recovery.

QP3

...That said, I belive someone else said strengthening your glutes and hip abductors (youtube some at-home exercises). I would strongly recommend this. Also strengthening and stretching the quads. What can happen is your quads get weak and/or stretched out, and they then start to pull on your kneecap causing it to be pulled into your femur. This can cause knee pain, and is common in a lot of runners.

Again, I am not your physical therapist, but that is my two cents. Hope it helps and keep us updated!

AEREC

Got back into running recently and ran every other day for two weeks until my last run, this past Saturday, left my right ankle feeling a little off. Theres slight pain when I move it a certain way or go down stairs but when walking it feels fine.

Really want this to clear up so I can get back to running, but still 4 days later and it still feels stiff and uncomfortable to run with.

Are there any specific ankle excercises\stretches I should be doing?

DagsJT

I need to break my 3k barrier when I run in the evening. I seem to get to around 3k before my legs and chest just feel like I'm ready to stop.

I've got a 7 month old daughter to it's been hard to get out running regularly and indont get time for the gym, I barely have time to run most evenings due to seeing my daughter, food etc.

So I'm kinda stuck. I did a 10k a few months ago which wasn't an easy one as there was lots of hills and tunnels but I managed it in 1hr6mins or so with a lot of walking. I reckon I can do about 10 mins of running before I feel I need a breather.

I'm 35, just under 15st and 5'9" so I'm slightly overweight and could do with losing my belly but I'm not obese or anything.

So now I need something to break this 3k barrier. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I'm wondering if running somewhere different might help and if it's a psychological block as much as physical as maybe I see I'm close to finishing the 2nd lap of my circuit and I prepare myself to stop?

I dunno but it's frustrating. I've got another 10k in a couple of weeks and I know there's no chance of me running without walking a fair bit but I'd like go cut down the walking as much as possible.

Fistwell

So now I need something to break this 3k barrier.
There are many things you can try. A change of scenery could indeed help. Alternately, change pace, go slower than you usually do and do try to keep going longer. You can always push back the pace once you've built endurance. You can also embrace the running-walking thing. Once you've done your 3K, take a cple of minute breather walking, then try and run another K. Sounds to me like you just need to switch things up a little, break the monotony. Maybe put on some headphones if you don't usually listen to music. Or if all that sounds like too much of a pita, use something else to build up endurance, like rowing or cycling.

Finally broke 5 in the mile last night at Icahn Stadium. previous PR was 5:15. Currently on cloud 9 until i try and BQ in Berlin in 5 weeks.

Vp9zZnq.jpg

Congrats! Finally breaking 5 is such a great feeling once you've hovered around the lower end of 5 for a while. Have you been busting out some good 400m interval work?

Finally back in action! Took a good month off but my ankle has healed up nicely. Been slowly easing up the mileage, and running with an ankle support. Feeling good though!

Finally broke 5 in the mile last night at Icahn Stadium. previous PR was 5:15. Currently on cloud 9 until i try and BQ in Berlin in 5 weeks.

Vp9zZnq.jpg

Congrats! Great achievement. With your V02 level, a BQ should be a piece of cake as long as you get the miles in.

We seem to have the same goals backwards. I ran a sub 3 at Boston in April and am now thinking my next goal should be a sub 5 mile!

I need to break my 3k barrier when I run in the evening. I seem to get to around 3k before my legs and chest just feel like I'm ready to stop.

I've got a 7 month old daughter to it's been hard to get out running regularly and indont get time for the gym, I barely have time to run most evenings due to seeing my daughter, food etc.

So I'm kinda stuck. I did a 10k a few months ago which wasn't an easy one as there was lots of hills and tunnels but I managed it in 1hr6mins or so with a lot of walking. I reckon I can do about 10 mins of running before I feel I need a breather.

I'm 35, just under 15st and 5'9" so I'm slightly overweight and could do with losing my belly but I'm not obese or anything.

So now I need something to break this 3k barrier. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I'm wondering if running somewhere different might help and if it's a psychological block as much as physical as maybe I see I'm close to finishing the 2nd lap of my circuit and I prepare myself to stop?

I dunno but it's frustrating. I've got another 10k in a couple of weeks and I know there's no chance of me running without walking a fair bit but I'd like go cut down the walking as much as possible.

Mate I hear you. I'm 36, 15st 10 and have an 8 month daughter!

The trick I found is to take your mind off running when you're running. If you're always thinking about the next half mile or the next market you'll fuck it up.

Just keep going until you want to stop and then try for 30 more seconds. Keep doing that each time and you'll soon build up the distance.

I did a 10 mile jaunt on Sunday and an 8 miler on Wednesday and I honestly didn't realise it (except for a motherfucker of a hill) because I was away thinking about whatever.

Just keep going, you think you can't but you can always go further!

Congrats! Finally breaking 5 is such a great feeling once you've hovered around the lower end of 5 for a while. Have you been busting out some good 400m interval work?

Honestly haven't been really training for the mile at all besides 7x400m the previous tuesday at mile pace with 60 second recovery between intervals. past 3 months have been all about marathon training for Berlin to BQ and break 3 hours. i'm sure some of those brutal 10-12 mile speed workouts helped me out the last 2 laps on tuesday night though.

Congrats! Great achievement. With your V02 level, a BQ should be a piece of cake as long as you get the miles in.

We seem to have the same goals backwards. I ran a sub 3 at Boston in April and am now thinking my next goal should be a sub 5 mile!

my previous PR is 3:06 in Jersey back in April. had a mental error at mile 24 and thought i could take a tiny break while on pace to run 3:02. caught a cramp the second i decided to stop and that was the end of that.

Decided to do another cycle of a JD marathon plan this time around. i did back to back peak weeks of 60 2 weeks back and slowly tapering down till race week. Glad to be running my last 20 miler this weekend.

Just signed up for my first half marathon in SF this November yesterday as it's the "end game" for the running class that I'm currently taking. I'll be training hard from now until that date, but not going to lie- I have no idea what to expect...nor did I see myself signing up for one at the beginning of the year when I was barely able to run a 5k under 30 @@.

Linius

I hope to do my 1/2m at an average pace of five minutes per kilometer. Roughly two months of training left till that day comes.

Today I'm running a 5k event with my dad in my hometown. He wants to go under 25 minutes so I'll support him on the go :p

And congrats on breaking fourty minutes festwill!

Thanks! How's your 1/2m training going?

Thx! Not sure, would like to go down to 37:30 by the end of the year but that might be a tad overenthusiastic. I'll just keep working and see if I can get a little faster. What about you, what are you looking at these days?

If not by the end of the year I'm sure you'll be there soon after.

Right now I'm trying to do a closed circuit 10K in under 43:30, which is my best time (in a point-to-point downhill race though). Just came back from a race and did 43:50, so I'm getting there.

Linius

xT4b.png

Well my dad made it under 25 and I'm content with my own time as well.

Only weird thing is that the organisation did the ranking by gross times. So the lady who came in third in the women's category should actually be first according to her net. time. Other than that it wouldn't make much of a change for the first 15.

Zoe

Only weird thing is that the organisation did the ranking by gross times. So the lady who came in third in the women's category should actually be first according to her net. time. Other than that it wouldn't make much of a change for the first 15.

Isn't that standard for the awards? That's why starting position is important.

Linius

Isn't that standard for the awards? That's why starting position is important.

So far for events they usually rank according to net. time because that's your actual time. Especially with the big events because they work with waves. For example later this month, I start at 1pm and the first runners will be gone around 10am already. Only the pro's get the special treatment of security to start in the first wave at the front. The rest is just up to luck.

I ran my first offical Half marathon on saturday in 1h47m.
I'm satisfied with my performance, event thought i wasn't in for the time, but just for the experience of doing an official race with my dad.

Can't wait for the next race.

It was about 2 months ago I posted in here that I just ran my furthest distance in a few years:

7.6km in 1hr07mins. Its about 8.8mins a km.

I managed both my fastest 5km and fastest 10km run on the weekend.

10.4km in 1hr22mins, so 8mins a km flat.

Slowly getting quicker. I have been doing a speed development session once a week for the last couple of weeks and its definitely helping.

I run 1km, then do 100m spring / 100m walk for 2kms and then finish with a slow 1km jog.

Orgen

I'm going to run my first marathon this November but I'm a bit lost in how I should be preparing.

I do 10km 3 times a week and I'm going to up one of the days to 15km for now. I'm pretty sure this is not enough (my objective is to finish the race) so what else should I be doing?

Thanks in advance!

Fistwell

Just ran ten miles for my first time today in 1hr40 for my weekly long run; so I can't complain about the time. I'm honestly hoping to finish my 1/2m in under two hours in November.
Good job, you're already almost on pace. 16 to 21.1K isn't that big of a leap, you'll do great.

And congrats on breaking fourty minutes festwill!
Thanks! :)

If not by the end of the year I'm sure you'll be there soon after.
Thank you for the kind words, wish I had as much faith in myself.

Right now I'm trying to do a closed circuit 10K in under 43:30, which is my best time (in a point-to-point downhill race though). Just came back from a race and did 43:50, so I'm getting there.
Almost there. Out of curiosity, what kind of weekly mileage are you pulling?

Well my dad made it under 25 and I'm content with my own time as well.
Good job!

It was about 2 months ago I posted in here that I just ran my furthest distance in a few years:

7.6km in 1hr07mins. Its about 8.8mins a km.

I managed both my fastest 5km and fastest 10km run on the weekend.

10.4km in 1hr22mins, so 8mins a km flat.

Slowly getting quicker. I have been doing a speed development session once a week for the last couple of weeks and its definitely helping.

I run 1km, then do 100m spring / 100m walk for 2kms and then finish with a slow 1km jog.

Keep up the good work!

Almost there. Out of curiosity, what kind of weekly mileage are you pulling?

I try to run around 42km/week (a little bit less during peak summer heat), spread over three days. Now that the temperature is starting to drop I was thinking of gradually increasing the mileage until I can split into four days: two "normal" runs of around 14km each, one shorter and faster run, and one longer and slower.

Final race before Berlin in 3 weeks. Can start tapering with a big smile on my face. 2 min 21 second PR.

(5:58, 6:11, 6:20, 6,10, 6:14, 6:16, and 5:28 for the last .2)

U6sNwrf.jpg

Linius

Another minute under Festwill's time on the 10K. We got some insanely fast runners in this community :p

Good luck in Berlin and I suppose I can also wish you a good time in Germany, assuming you're American? I'm doing the half marathon in Berlin next year, place to be!

DagsJT

Anyone on Runkeeper? I'd love to be able to see people from here and hopefully be inspired by your runs. My ID is Dazimus if anyone would like to add me.

Aikidoka

I found this local trail around a rock quarry. I think it will help me get prepared for running in the mountains.

Here is the elevation profile of me going around twice:

currently my pace for going up is pretty shit, but hopefully after a few weeks i'll at least be able to maintain something like a 9:00 min/mile pace going up.

One of my goals is to be able to run something like Mt. Le Conte:

Linius

Dam tot Dam is on the way (I start at 1pm) and Kiptoo did 13,48 minutes for the first 5km. These pro's man
h8xug2P.png

EDIT

He won in 45,16. Not a course record.

JQBSFNt.jpg

NsPJ7Jw.jpg

I can't even finish 10km in 45 minutes. This guy does 10 mile.

DagsJT

10k completed in 1:08:28 which I'm fairly happy with. Got to 8k without stopping to walk so pleased about that but my knees felt so tired at 8k so a tough finish.

Linius

u29Md4X.png

XJhACbD.png

fe5hC27.png

I didn't quite beat Kiptoo, but I did top any expectations I might have had. Even ran 11 seconds above my 10km PR. Which I'm very confident will be shattered when I do the Ajax run next month.

Fistwell

I didn't quite beat Kiptoo, but I did top any expectations I might have had. Even ran 11 seconds above my 10km PR. Which I'm very confident will be shattered when I do the Ajax run next month.
Very nice! Did you get to watch the elite race?

Good luck on your next race, it's a 10K?

I didn't quite beat Kiptoo
Now now, you just went easy on him this year cause you didn't want to hurt his feelings. He still had to work hard for his win, look at his goddamn face. Next year will be a different story. ;)

Linius

Thanks man! My next one will be the half marathon in Amsterdam on october 18. The week after though is the Ajax run, which is a 10K. That's the one where I managed to get 47:54 on my 10K. And I think I should be able to go under it now. It's my first 10K since then while also being in proper training. And on november 14 I also have a 15km one coming up. So still quite some events to look forward to :D

Top Bottom