• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

But if your only care is to get out of the house to take your mind off of things, just putting a foot in front of the other while knowing that you're doing something much healthier than chair-sitting, then you're a jogger.
And I don't say that in a bad way, it just happens to be a definition for a slightly different activity than running. And of course these are two extremes, feel free to fill in what in fact is a spectrum.

I remember seeing this ad right around when I started college. It motivated me just as much as reading Running With the Buffaloes or watching Without Limits, haha.

pearl_izumi_pretense.png

entremet

Man, what an absolutely shitty run today. The heat didn't help.

I guess running is a lot like weight lifting. Sometimes you have bad days.

Man, what an absolutely shitty run today. The heat didn't help.

I guess running is a lot like weight lifting. Sometimes you have bad days.

Ain't that the truth. I went a little harder than usual today but the heat was definitely causing some stomach cramps by the end.

GAF,

Completed back to back 5k's this weekend Saturday/Sunday. It was very hot here in Texas. I actually placed 3rd in my age category on Saturday (not a lot of people showed up in my group).

Interestingly enough i only dropped 2'15" off my 5k time going from Saturday to Sunday. I was thinking it would be more, but apparently as I continue to condition I am becoming more and more immune to the effects of the grind of harder conditions on my body.

I am off this week from work. Plan to cycle tomorrow for recovery around our local lake and put in ~15 miles in pure running. Will stay in my holding pattern until I start my half marathon training program in August.

GAF,

Completed back to back 5k's this weekend Saturday/Sunday. It was very hot here in Texas. I actually placed 3rd in my age category on Saturday (not a lot of people showed up in my group).

Interestingly enough i only dropped 2'15" off my 5k time going from Saturday to Sunday. I was thinking it would be more, but apparently as I continue to condition I am becoming more and more immune to the effects of the grind of harder conditions on my body.

I am off this week from work. Plan to cycle tomorrow for recovery around our local lake and put in ~15 miles in pure running. Will stay in my holding pattern until I start my half marathon training program in August.

Congrats! It's always tough to race in super hot temps, but it's a great accomplishment. IIRC, it takes about 10 days or so for your body to acclimate to heat/cold.

Congrats! It's always tough to race in super hot temps, but it's a great accomplishment. IIRC, it takes about 10 days or so for your body to acclimate to heat/cold.

I mostly run after 9pm. I'm going to have to suck it up and start learning how to run longer distances with the sun still out.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Anyone know a good pair of wireless headphones for running/gym? The cheap $20-25 pairs never make a year before either cutting out or the charging sucking.

After last week's advice, I concentrated on getting my speed up during my weekday run. I even managed to do a 7min50 average 4km run.

Yesterday I ran for 8.25km and averaged about 8min25/km. I was going at about 6min30/km for the last 500m or so. So compared to last week,that was about 30seconds per km quicker and I did another 800m.

My legs are not too bad today. I wouldnt be able to go for a run but by tomorrow I should.

I spoke to my real life marathon runner today (he is the bloke who is leading the training for our cricket club run) and he was telling me that my legs appear to be strong enough but now my fitness needs to catch up.

My goal now is to do 10km next sunday @ 8min/km.

I am also going to aim for about 7min/km for the 12km fun run in Sept.

oh yeah, I just weighed myself too. About 1kg (2lbs) down from last week.

I didnt really change my diet last week, just cut out some snacks at work - museli bars, a couple of biscuits for morning tea and no coffees from the cafe.

QP3

I mostly run after 9pm. I'm going to have to suck it up and start learning how to run longer distances with the sun still out.

Wow, do you work odd hours? I almost always run first thing in the morning (~5am) or at around 3pm.

What time does most of GAF run?

Aikidoka

Hey GAF, I'm feeling a little bit at a lost on how to proceed with my running. I completed the Couch-to-5k program a few weeks ago and am trying to figure out the best way to improve. I finished the 5k being able to do it in 30 minutes . Should I just continue onto the 10 k training program or focus more on sprints (lately I've been doing 400 m fast intervals)? I had an idea to just alternate between sprints and distance runs every day.

Basically I want to be able to run a sub 20 minute 5k before the end of the year. Do you think that is reasonable?

Linius

Hey GAF, I'm feeling a little bit at a lost on how to proceed with my running. I completed the Couch-to-5k program a few weeks ago and am trying to figure out the best way to improve. I finished the 5k being able to do it in 30 minutes . Should I just continue onto the 10 k training program or focus more on sprints (lately I've been doing 400 m fast intervals)? I had an idea to just alternate between sprints and distance runs every day.

Basically I want to be able to run a sub 20 minute 5k before the end of the year. Do you think that is reasonable?

Sub 20 5K's are only for the few. Takes a lot of dedication and training to get there. But if it's something you really want I suppose it could be a good motivator to keep on going.

And switching distance runs and interval training is always a good idea.

My mate told me that sprints are the best thing for speeding up your runs.

He suggested 10 x 100m sprints to start with (Im probably a lot unfitted than you) and then build up more sprints. This was building up speed for each sprint so that you are flat out by the time you finish and then take a minute rest. You need to do this once a week and do your normal 3 runs other times during the week.

I havent done it as I dont have good running track with 100m marked out close by.

Im not a runner, but my mate is pretty serious.

mdsfx

Ok i need help as I had a run that freaked me out a bit.

I ran my usual "long" run for the week today as usual with a target of 8 miles. It wasn't TOO hot being only 80°F, although humidity was high. For some reason, after mile 4, I hit a huge wall. I can't even put my finger on it. My legs were fatigued but still going strong, my breathing and heart-rate was stable, albeit a bit high at 170+ for the moderate pace I was running at, but I just felt weak. Almost as if someone sucked the energy out of me. It was the strangest thing and for the first time ever I had to walk occasionally to take breaks. Such a bummer :(

The only thing I can think of is that I, for some reason, took my preworkout before running. I usually only take this on lifting days. I didn't think it would have a negative impact on endurance, but maybe I'm wrong?

Cyan

Banned
Nike+ on my iPod for some reason deleted all the runs I did this month. :/

I know it doesn't really ultimately matter, since I did the runs even if I don't get "credit" for them, but it's still irritating. Maybe I need a new iPod since this seems to happen more often lately. If I can still find the older models that aren't touchscreen...

Linius

Nike+ on my iPod for some reason deleted all the runs I did this month. :/

I know it doesn't really ultimately matter, since I did the runs even if I don't get "credit" for them, but it's still irritating. Maybe I need a new iPod since this seems to happen more often lately. If I can still find the older models that aren't touchscreen...

I know the feel. I hate it when my app fucks up a run with the GPS. Every now and then I run a first kilometer of like 9 minutes because the GPS was lost on me which fucks up the entire run stats.

Or even less meaningfull, when Last.fm some how lost the music I listened to and I can't scrobble it to my account :p

Ok i need help as I had a run that freaked me out a bit.

I ran my usual "long" run for the week today as usual with a target of 8 miles. It wasn't TOO hot being only 80°F, although humidity was high. For some reason, after mile 4, I hit a huge wall. I can't even put my finger on it. My legs were fatigued but still going strong, my breathing and heart-rate was stable, albeit a bit high at 170+ for the moderate pace I was running at, but I just felt weak. Almost as if someone sucked the energy out of me. It was the strangest thing and for the first time ever I had to walk occasionally to take breaks. Such a bummer :(

The only thing I can think of is that I, for some reason, took my preworkout before running. I usually only take this on lifting days. I didn't think it would have a negative impact on endurance, but maybe I'm wrong?

Everything gets exaggerated during the heat, especially with high humidity -- aches, pains, cramps...whatever. Off days happen.

So does anyone here not run with a watch/iPhone/whatever? I tend to freak myself out with paces/times, so I don't wear a watch when I go out and I don't like having anything with me when I run (shorts, shoes, and maybe a key) so I don't hold onto anything else. I always run so much better when I'm not on the clock.

kottila

Everything gets exaggerated during the heat, especially with high humidity -- aches, pains, cramps...whatever. Off days happen.

So does anyone here not run with a watch/iPhone/whatever? I tend to freak myself out with paces/times, so I don't wear a watch when I go out and I don't like having anything with me when I run (shorts, shoes, and maybe a key) so I don't hold onto anything else. I always run so much better when I'm not on the clock.

Always with a watch. I like stats. Plus being able to see my hr makes it easier to hold back on slower runs. I care more about being in the correct hr zone than pace (and my runs are mostly very hilly, so pace is meaningless). But i do check how i did on the strava segments when i upload the run

Still on the mend. Living vicariously through you guys, though! I'm hoping to start back with my bike this week, just to get some strength back in my legs while my ankle rests up. It's getting better day by day but it's going to be a slow start back to where I was - I figure some cross training will be beneficial.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Sub 20 5K's are only for the few. Takes a lot of dedication and training to get there. But if it's something you really want I suppose it could be a good motivator to keep on going.

And switching distance runs and interval training is always a good idea.

After 5 years I can't do Sub20 5k. I'm close but can't do it :(

I mostly don't because I run in a "not so safe" area, but sometimes I just have to, it's really hard to progress if you don't have data.

I mostly don't because I run in a "not so safe" area, but sometimes I just have to, it's really hard to progress if you don't have data.

What's your plan look like?

Always with a watch. I like stats. Plus being able to see my hr makes it easier to hold back on slower runs. I care more about being in the correct hr zone than pace (and my runs are mostly very hilly, so pace is meaningless). But i do check how i did on the strava segments when i upload the run

Good points.

I just go by feel nowadays (unless I'm doing track intervals). Running with a watch on easy days was just the most counterproductive thing in the world! I'd get to an intersection or something and glance down at my watch realizing that I was going maybe 20 seconds slower than usual, causing me to work too hard afterwards. A lot of people would joke and say that "you don't have to look at the watch all the time," but I just cut out the distraction haha.

Part of me wants to get a HR monitor but I've gotten pretty good at judging my body's effort and pace.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Theoretically I finish my Couch to 5k thing (Doing the zombie one) in two more runs. But I don't feel like I'm gonna be able to. I am able to (almost) handle everything they tell me to do but the jump to 5k that last day seems so far away. Ah.

Anyone here do the same one? Did you feel ready at this stage? What's a good pace for someone where I am?

Theoretically I finish my Couch to 5k thing (Doing the zombie one) in two more runs. But I don't feel like I'm gonna be able to. I am able to (almost) handle everything they tell me to do but the jump to 5k that last day seems so far away. Ah.

Anyone here do the same one? Did you feel ready at this stage? What's a good pace for someone where I am?

I've heard a lot about that one but haven't messed around with it. What kinds of distances/paces have you been doing so far?

Man, the past few days have been perfect workouts. My hip issues are finally going away and I finally pinned my stomach cramps on high humidity days on really high-fiber meals. I was running through campus a few days ago and this amazing summer storm showed up out of nowhere and it was POURING. It was so awesome...hadn't had a run like that in forever.

Clockwork5

So I haven't posted here yet but I have been running for a couple months now. I have been going 2 - 3 miles 4 times a week. I am really feeling the gains. I finished my first 5 mile run yesterday and while my legs feel it, I'm happy with my progress.

I do seem to be hitting a speed plateau. I tend to coast at around 6mph and with my build (tall and thin) I really feel I should be closer to 7.5 or 8 mph. If I try to push myself my legs feel it pretty quick and I have to slow down. I will say that the last mile of my running path is on a respectable incline so I know that is slowing down my average.

Anyway, I am super proud of myself, 5 miles is an accomplishment I am really happy with but if anyone has some speed building suggestions I am all ears.

Fistwell

So I haven't posted here yet but I have been running for a couple months now. I have been going 2 - 3 miles 4 times a week. I am really feeling the gains. I finished my first 5 mile run yesterday and while my legs feel it, I'm happy with my progress.

I do seem to be hitting a speed plateau. I tend to coast at around 6mph and with my build (tall and thin) I really feel I should be closer to 7.5 or 8 mph. If I try to push myself my legs feel it pretty quick and I have to slow down. I will say that the last mile of my running path is on a respectable incline so I know that is slowing down my average.

Anyway, I am super proud of myself, 5 miles is an accomplishment I am really happy with but if anyone has some speed building suggestions I am all ears.
First off, congratulations on the achievement! Getting started in itself is quite a challenge. As far as wanting to build up speed, well, don't we all!! ;D

I'd suggest a few things.

1) Be patient. 6mph (~10Km/h) to 8mph (~13Km/h) is a huge step up. HuuuuUUge! It's great to have longer-ish term goals, just be aware that they are long terms. If you expect to improve too much too quickly you're bound to be get frustrated and might lose motivation.

2) If you've only ran a cple of months, I'd expect you to still keep improving in speed even if you stick to the same routine regularly.

3) To go faster you'll have to know how to push yourself. Maybe hard. Maybe get angry.

4) There are lots of specific workouts that could help you build up speed, for example interval training or hill sprints. You could try to look up online different 5K training plans, for beginners or intermediate runners. Check out what kind of workouts they suggest. Those plans are not tailored to what you precisely want or need, but they'll give you a rough idea of what people do to try and improve speed on a short/fast race.

Amory

Hey all-

I made a decision a few weeks ago that it's time to stop being the chubby version of myself that made his first appearance after the freshman 15 in college and gained and gained from there.

Generally I haven't been able to stick to running programs because my legs eventually give out running on concrete, but I bought a new pair of shoes that are really working for me and through my first month of runs I've felt great.

I'm running 3.5 - 4 miles 5 times per week right now, averaging about 9 minute miles.

I'm enjoying the Nike+ app and the little rewards you get and watching the miles pile up. It's a fun little app.

Anyway just wanted to introduce myself to the thread, I'm hoping to use this community to help keep myself on track when I'm not feeling as motivated as I am at the outset.

Zoe

Hey all-

I made a decision a few weeks ago that it's time to stop being the chubby version of myself that made his first appearance after the freshman 15 in college and gained and gained from there.

Generally I haven't been able to stick to running programs because my legs eventually give out running on concrete, but I bought a new pair of shoes that are really working for me and through my first month of runs I've felt great.

I'm running 3.5 - 4 miles 5 times per week right now, averaging about 9 minute miles.

That sounds like a lot of mileage in a short period of time with little chance to adjust. Make sure you're doing plenty of stretching and giving your body time to recover!

Linius

I'd say run less. If you just start running that's simply way too much and you're going to get injuries sooner or later. Your body is just not used to this kind of exercise if you haven't done anything like it for a long time. And it won't be able to keep up with you.

Aikidoka

I found this program to doing a 20 minute 5k that seems promising - basically run 3 days a week with one day dedicated to intensity interval training (pyramids, fartlek, etc....) and two days of long runs. I figure you should skip to the "climbing the peak" section of the program.

I completed the Zen Labs c25k program end of last month, and had a similar feeling when it came to the weeks of running 25 minutes with no breaks each session (i don't know how the Zombie on is structured). It's not a big deal if you can't make meet the goal for your workout day - just continue with the rest of the week and feel free to redo it if you feel like it. A couple of times when I didn't feel ready to move onto the next week, I would repeat an exercise but increase my pace for roughly half of the workout (which is a good habit from what I've read).

Ultimately, the training plan does a pretty good job of preparing you for each step in the program - even if you don't really feel like you are making progress from day-to-day.

MikeDip

Thanks for the tips friends. I'll try to remember to track my running tomorrow and post what kind of pace I have going. Theoretically it's the last run before trying the 5k for the first time. c25k over this saturday or sunday if all goes well.

Amory

That sounds like a lot of mileage in a short period of time with little chance to adjust. Make sure you're doing plenty of stretching and giving your body time to recover!

I'd say run less. If you just start running that's simply way too much and you're going to get injuries sooner or later. Your body is just not used to this kind of exercise if you haven't done anything like it for a long time. And it won't be able to keep up with you.

Probably good advice. I'll trim a day off each week and replace it with another form of cardio.

Oppo

what's the favorite running app (iOS) in these parts, gaf?

I use RunKeeper and it gets the job done, but it's a little naggy to upgrade, and no way am I paying a yearly fee for stats. then again I like Pocket Track a lot for just keeping dog walks in the mix.

Linius

Ugh, it's been 16 days since my last run. I'm slacking again. Time to get my shoes and go. Just made a new 5K route on the map so I know where to go. Lately I've been just running here and there without a planned route.

I use Runtastic Pro by the way Nerfgun. Paid a couple of euros for it once and it's working fine for me most of the time. Very rarely it fucks up the GPS. Since I've gotten 4G on my phone the GPS also seems to work more accurate. Or maybe that's just a coincedence.

Clockwork5

First off, congratulations on the achievement! Getting started in itself is quite a challenge. As far as wanting to build up speed, well, don't we all!! ;D

I'd suggest a few things.

1) Be patient. 6mph (~10Km/h) to 8mph (~13Km/h) is a huge step up. HuuuuUUge! It's great to have longer-ish term goals, just be aware that they are long terms. If you expect to improve too much too quickly you're bound to be get frustrated and might lose motivation.

2) If you've only ran a cple of months, I'd expect you to still keep improving in speed even if you stick to the same routine regularly.

3) To go faster you'll have to know how to push yourself. Maybe hard. Maybe get angry.

4) There are lots of specific workouts that could help you build up speed, for example interval training or hill sprints. You could try to look up online different 5K training plans, for beginners or intermediate runners. Check out what kind of workouts they suggest. Those plans are not tailored to what you precisely want or need, but they'll give you a rough idea of what people do to try and improve speed on a short/fast race.

Thanks for the tips! I think you are right, I need to be a bit more patient. A little perspective is huge. I should think of my target speed as a goal, not so much an expectation.

I will look into your training suggestions, hill sprints seem like a good idea. I've got overall endurance to spare but man, my legs sure give out when I pick up the pace.

Thanks again!

KiKaL

what's the favorite running app (iOS) in these parts, gaf

I use Runtastic Pro. I upgraded to pro recently since it gives you access to the training programs. I have been using Runtastic for maybe 2+ years now and have been pretty happy with it. Before that, I used Endomondo which was pretty nice but I liked the interface for Runtastic better at the time when I switched. I am on Android but since it's on both I felt like it still applied to your question.

Linius

zF1b.png

It's 1:30 minute off my PR on the 5K but it felt good nonetheless. It's still quite hot and I've had about 3 hours of sleep last night. It was basically just a random run for me to push hard again.

I'm just gonna need to make more km's and have a proper training schedule to crawl back to my PR and gun for that 20 minute mark at some point. The 20 minute 5K and 45 minute 10K are my main goals at the moment. Besides training for a proper half marathon.

MikeDip

Okay please keep in mind I am a beginner and my knee isn't great. Also, it was way too hot, I need to switch my running to early mornings instead of evenings I think. The sun is brutal.

The c25k thing for today was 5 min walking, 10 min running, 3 min stretch, 10 min run, 5 min walk, 10 min run, 5 min walk, 5 min run. Although something funky happened with the timing in the beginning and during 3 minute stretch so it doesn't match up to my pace chart exactly.

I know my pace isn't great. But the walks do make it higher than it could have been. I think I could have taken a 30 second walk break instead of the 5 minutes each time and been sort of okay, just need to get my breath back and stretch my knee.

So, any help or tips? I gotta do the 5k next run. I honestly don't know if I will be able to run (jog) the whole thing but I can try. I dunno :(

I am very happy with my improvement though! A month and a half ago I couldn't jog for more than like 30 seconds.

Fistwell

So, any help or tips? I gotta do the 5k next run. I honestly don't know if I will be able to run (jog) the whole thing but I can try. I dunno
I'd say just start at a really easy pace and don't sweat the details too much. See how long you can keep it up, don't be shy about taking a walking break or two if you need to. You're improving sharply, if you do need a cple of breaks today, a few weeks from now you won't need any, so don't beat yourself up. Give it your all and see where it takes you today.

Aikidoka

I found this video of an in-depth stride analysis of Chris Solinsky (I think he's america's fastest 10K runner?) doing a 10 K. I thought it was really informative of the dozen things that make up a good stride. What do you guys think? http://www.somaxsports.com/video.php?analysis=chris-solinsky-stride-analysis

Okay please keep in mind I am a beginner and my knee isn't great. Also, it was way too hot, I need to switch my running to early mornings instead of evenings I think. The sun is brutal.

I am very happy with my improvement though! A month and a half ago I couldn't jog for more than like 30 seconds.

Concerning training in the heat (or rather a high dew point), I've read that it's best to not really focus on your pace too much. Instead, just focus on obtaining the same effort level throughout the training that you normally would and adjust your pace, etc... as you are running.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
What's your plan look like?

I found this program to doing a 20 minute 5k that seems promising - basically run 3 days a week with one day dedicated to intensity interval training (pyramids, fartlek, etc....) and two days of long runs. I figure you should skip to the "climbing the peak" section of the program.
This year has been basically just run when I can, before that it used to be 3/4 times a week, 6k. I had a back injury in March and I didn't fully recover yet :(

Top Bottom