• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Zoe

About to head out into a heat index of 102. Forged in fire.

Yeah.... this was our Thursday run:

bos6j5Kl.jpg

Well, I only took the 3 mile course :p

Speaking of 'shin splints', have you guys got those specially laid out tracks with woodchips and wood mulch and all that stuff? They're the hottest thing here in Belgium (and Holland maybe too?) for quite a few years now. Literally heaven on Earth for your legs and feet. The cushioning and damping effect is so good and I was wondering if it has spread to the States as well?

54AWkuZ.jpg

Speaking of 'shin splints', have you guys got those specially laid out tracks with woodchips and wood mulch and all that stuff? They're the hottest thing here in Belgium (and Holland maybe too?) for quite a few years now. Literally heaven on Earth for your legs and feet. The cushioning and damping effect is so good and I was wondering if it has spread to the States as well?

54AWkuZ.jpg

We've got a few. One course where I raced as an undergrad had this kind of footing and I hated it, haha. It's soft but it actually felt too soft when I raced on it.

Linius

54AWkuZ.jpg

Never seen a path like this in my area.

SmokeMaxX

I've been training for a 5k but the only park I've found so far that has distance markers has a ~0.2 mile incline and ~0.2 mile decline. It's about 0.8 miles across so it takes four "crosses" to get ~5k. I know that the incline is harder than flat ground and that the decline is easier than flat ground but they're not equal right? Like, the incline and decline don't cancel each other out so that I should be gauging my true 5k stamina off of these runs right?

Aikidoka

I've been training for a 5k but the only park I've found so far that has distance markers has a ~0.2 mile incline and ~0.2 mile decline. It's about 0.8 miles across so it takes four "crosses" to get ~5k. I know that the incline is harder than flat ground and that the decline is easier than flat ground but they're not equal right? Like, the incline and decline don't cancel each other out so that I should be gauging my true 5k stamina off of these runs right?

Running on hills engages your leg muscles more so than just normal running and the extra energy you expend going up doesn't magically flow back into you as you go back down. So I wouldn't think they cancel each other out. Also, running downhill well is a skill that needs to be practiced and isn't simply the easy part some would think.

But, most local races that I know of take place on the streets which will most likely have nonzero gradients. I wouldn't worry too much about it - unless your hills are really prominent, then I'd think you should try to find a more flat place every so often.

TheBear

Hi guys, have been slowly getting into running/walking lately, and the biggest hurdle I am finding it is not my endurance but rather pain in my feet. I have flat feet with collapsed arches, so I went to the podiatrist who sorted me out with some orthotics (store bought) and some new shoes with firm heels and soles, to help with the collapsing arches.
I went for a walk today and at about the 45 min mark my arch on left foot began to hurt (right was ok), and I could only go for another 20 minutes.
Should these problems go away after extended training, or should I be going back to the podiatrist?
To those with flat feet, do you just tolerate the pain and keep going? Or are you doing exercises or have shoes that solve the problem?

Thanks

I find running downhill to be the hardest part of running. I love powering up a hill, but it is so hard for me not to want to fly down. I now try to always make sure i run down much slower than when i go up.

max_505

So, I started running in the morning today after a couple of months of afternoon running and it felt great! Thanks for all the advice! It's a nice feeling when you get it out of the way the first thing in the morning.

Downside is: one runner that I bumped (not literally) into joined me on my run. Ended up talking until a couple of minutes before I finished. It's not that I dislike talking in general, it's just that, when I run, I prefer to focus on my breathing to keep my mind off the fatigue. Having to talk just screws that up and I get tired easily.

Anybody else like that? Or do you guys prefer having someone to run with?

Same here. I just can't run with someone. I find it hard to focus, not only on my breathing, but also on my tempo and whatnot.

Plus, I love the "in the zone" feeling of running alone.

Fistwell

Anybody else like that? Or do you guys prefer having someone to run with?
Yeah I run on my own and I enjoy the alone time, it's nice to be free to set the pace to whatever I want and go wherever I wanna go. I do run with the wife now and then, but we don't talk much, she needs the quiet to focus on her running (she's in the phase of getting used to running without walking breaks).

I kinda wish I'd have a few running buddies though, to help me push the pace every now and then, especially on tempo-ish runs. On occasions I've followed (in a totally non-stalky, non-creepy way) random strangers going at a good pace. It's helped me push myself, for example at the end of a long run.

54AWkuZ.jpg

Hmm.

Seems like cheating! Give me normal ground any day!

Are there any downsides for always running in the evenings? I always go running at 9 - 10 pm...

Also, congratulations for a wonderful thread.

Linius

Yeah I run on my own and I enjoy the alone time, it's nice to be free to set the pace to whatever I want and go wherever I wanna go. I do run with the wife now and then, but we don't talk much, she needs the quiet to focus on her running (she's in the phase of getting used to running without walking breaks).

I kinda wish I'd have a few running buddies though, to help me push the pace every now and then, especially on tempo-ish runs. On occasions I've followed (in a totally non-stalky, non-creepy way) random strangers going at a good pace. It's helped me push myself, for example at the end of a long run.

I hardly ever come across people running a decent pace for me to do that. And I don't even run that fast. Just bad luck I guess :p

But someone slightly faster to push up the pace would be great. It works like a charm in events.

Fistwell

I hardly ever come across people running a decent pace for me to do that. And I don't even run that fast. Just bad luck I guess :p

But someone slightly faster to push up the pace would be great. It works like a charm in events.
Not exactly fast either (we're roughly around the same pace if I remember correctly), and it's happened very rarely. I can remember maybe two guys in the past year+. Guess if you go roughly at the same speed as them, unless they start out very near to you, you never see them. Got to the point that I'm legit shocked when I see someone catching up to me (even on long/slow day).
My reaction is always: 1) tell myself they're not going as far as me, 2) can I keep up with them?
;)

Kamion

I've been wanting to get back into running and while my condition is still up to the task (I'm still playing Tennis and stuff regularly) I feel as if my leg muscles fail me.
I recently ran 7 kilometers in 35 minutes and the final 10 minutes I felt as if my legs would burn off at any minute.

I mean sure, I went to the gym for weight training like 30ish hours before that run and I do train my calves there, so some soreness is normal. But I was running over an hour a few months ago.

My point is: Anyone here who regularly goes weight training and knows a way to get rid of leg muscle sores? Like, is it a diet thing? Because damn that shit hurt and I really want to go running on my off-gym days again... Maybe I should just do less weight on my calf raises and squats.

EDIT: just for information. Normal pace is like 5:15-5:45 per km.

Fistwell

I've been wanting to get back into running and while my condition is still up to the task (I'm still playing Tennis and stuff regularly) I feel as if my leg muscles fail me.
I recently ran 7 kilometers in 35 minutes and the final 10 minutes I felt as if my legs would burn off at any minute.

I mean sure, I went to the gym for weight training like 30ish hours before that run and I do train my calves there, so some soreness is normal. But I was running over an hour a few months ago.

My point is: Anyone here who regularly goes weight training and knows a way to get rid of leg muscle sores? Like, is it a diet thing? Because damn that shit hurt and I really want to go running on my off-gym days again... Maybe I should just do less weight on my calf raises and squats.

EDIT: just for information. Normal pace is like 5:15-5:45 per km.
Might have better luck asking in the fitness thread. I know mdsfx and BruceLeeRoy do run a bit. I don't (even) lift, so I won't be of much help, but maybe give it another cple of tries? Rust and/or bad days happen.

Edit: so yesterday's run went weird. I tried doing some stairs (the river I run next to has a bridge with 90 steps). A guy I know who runs around here mentioned using it, he said he does 6 to 10 reps, jogging up, not full speed. He's more fit than I, also smaller and lighter, and I've never done stairs before. Did only 5 reps as I was hitting the track after that for intervals and didn't want to burn myself out. But it felt shockingly easy. Heart rate never broke 160 (which is around where it's at on strong efforts on flat surface), took a few reps to go up to 150ish. I started going harder on later reps, cutting the climb time from 30s, to 20, then 17. It felt too easy. As in: "must be doing it wrong" kind of easy.

Then I got to the track, and my intervals sucked balls. Usually do 2 reps of a 6min mile, could not hold pace for 4 laps, ended up doing 2 x 3 laps and even then had trouble maintaining pace. So... I guess although the stairs felt easy, they depleted my reserves and made the intervals that much harder to complete? Not sure I like what that says about my endurance, as I could not perform exercises that (separately) have at one point felt easy.

On the flip side, it gives me some clear pointer to something to work on.

So after a trial class and a fitness assessment, I've decided to go and sign up with a local running coach/personal trainer to help iron out some of my running issues.

Particularly, I'm a heel striker and tend to cross my body when I run, which partially explains my occasional lower back pain. Hope this will all be worth it!

mkenyon

Banned
First actual rain in what feels like forever. Lighting, thunder, hail, and probably 1/2"-1" in the last few hours (Western Washington).

I forgot how much I love running in the rain. The best part is that there aren't any bikers on the trail, so I get to let my dog run wild.

Fistwell

So after a trial class and a fitness assessment, I've decided to go and sign up with a local running coach/personal trainer to help iron out some of my running issues.

Particularly, I'm a heel striker and tend to cross my body when I run, which partially explains my occasional lower back pain. Hope this will all be worth it!
Yeah if they help you improve your gait it's definitely worth it.

I got a bad toe injury. No running for a few more days.
Sucks, what kind? I've been dragging some sort of turf toe since a bad sprain earlier this year...

current objective ... sub 40:00 10K.

Clockwork5

After about three months of running and building up to about 10 miles/week, Ive developed some achilles tendinitis :( Looks like I won't be running for a while... Sounds like a month or so, maybe longer since I work on my feet. It's not severe pain and ibuprofen usually wipes out the inflammation but it does ache a couple times a day.

Anyone deal with this? i just hope it's not a nagging injury that hangs around for ages. Also, is that too much too quickly? I definitely pushed myself from time to time but, with the exception of the first two weeks, I never really felt like I was abusing my body.

Fistwell

After about three months of running and building up to about 10 miles/week, Ive developed some achilles tendinitis :( Looks like I won't be running for a while... Sounds like a month or so, maybe longer since I work on my feet. It's not severe pain and ibuprofen usually wipes out the inflammation but it does ache a couple times a day.

Anyone deal with this? i just hope it's not a nagging injury that hangs around for ages. Also, is that too much too quickly? I definitely pushed myself from time to time but, with the exception of the first two weeks, I never really felt like I was abusing my body.
10 miles/week after 3 months does not sound like too much to me. What kind of surface are you running on? How good are your shoes? Low mileage under bad circumstances can still be tough on the body. Forefoot striker?

Best of luck on your recovery!

mkenyon

Banned

Have you been stretching before and after?

hwkb17_077_01.jpg

That's an essential stretch of mine that I do twice a week.

Sounds like a shoe problem.

Shit Festwill, so close. Good luck next time. My objective fir the 10k is the same.

Finally decided to stop saying "i will run tomorrow" and actually did it tonight after work, my first run in around 25 days

Leg felt good during the run.

Only did a 3k at 5 18 pace. Did a foam roller regime as soon as i finished as i felt soreness once i was finished. Leg is feeling ok now. I just hope that it will feel good in the morning.

I want to get back to the running level I was at in July :((((

Clockwork5

Thanks for the Achilles advice. I think it my be a combination of shoes and lack of stretching. I'm going to look for some decent shoes soon. I have just been running in some indoor soccer shoes which are kind of flat. As for stretching I have been just kind of mindlessly stretching out after a jog but I think I'll look for a more effective regimen. The whole ankle is slowly feeling better though so that is a relief.

Thanks again.

Fistwell

Leg felt good during the run.

Only did a 3k at 5 18 pace. Did a foam roller regime as soon as i finished as i felt soreness once i was finished. Leg is feeling ok now. I just hope that it will feel good in the morning.
Best of luck, dude! Let us know how it goes. Good that you have the discipline to hold back when you need to. I know that many times I shouldn't have gone but still did because "oh well fuck it."

I'm going to look for some decent shoes soon. I have just been running in some indoor soccer shoes which are kind of flat. As for stretching I have been just kind of mindlessly stretching out after a jog but I think I'll look for a more effective regimen. The whole ankle is slowly feeling better though so that is a relief.
Glad that you're getting better. And yeah, good shoes are kind of important.

Speaking of which, saw the notion floating around the internets but dunno if it's been discussed here yet. Recent study apparently tends to show that as far as shoes go, the one thing that matters is how comfortable they feel. Forget (over) pronation compensation and all that, just strap them on and see how they feel. I've never worried too much about stability, so maybe this is just bias confirmation for me. Nevertheless, and regardless of the scientific merit of the study, I find it amusing when research (allegedly) pokes giant holes in companies' lines of bullshit.

Apt101

For some reason my endurance has dropped in the last week and I am not sure why. I'm no long distance runner to begin with, but I typically run a few miles before I really start to feel it. This past week I've been drained a mile in. I should really start examining my diet and sleep habits more closely.

Don't waste time stretching or taking ibuprofen.

For Achilles tendinitis, there is one simple incredible cure: eccentric heel drops. This is the only thing that is proven to work. Standard protocol calls for 45 straight knee and 45 bent knee 2 times a day for 12 weeks, while progressively adding weight when it feels easy. You can get pretty good results by doing a little less, but I would not go below 100 rep a day.

The key with this injury is to keep running as long as you have level 0-2 pain that does not get worse (no inflammation) and keep doing eccentric heel drops. Be patient. It takes time for the body to generate collagen fibers, poor blood flow and all. There is no difference in recovery time between complete rest and running with no aggravating pain.

Depending on the severity of your tendon's degeneration, you'll be 100% recovered in 2-6 months, assuming you do not re-injure yourself meanwhile. However, you should be able to return to (reduced) running as soon as inflammation is gone (about one week).

Once you are recovered, you should continue doing some eccentric heel drops once or twice a week to prevent injury.

This is the most up to date synthesis of current scientific knowledge on Achilles tendonitis:
http://www.runningwritings.com/2013/11/achilles-tendonitis-in-runners.html

If you only have one thing to read on internet about Achilles tendinitis it's this article.

I could tell you my anecdotal story about recovering from severe tendinitis (2 weeks of inflammation with no walking or running) and returning to running at 80% mileage less than a month after but it wouldn't prove anything. Trust the studies in the article I linked.

max_505

Speaking of which, saw the notion floating around the internets but dunno if it's been discussed here yet. Recent study apparently tends to show that as far as shoes go, the one thing that matters is how comfortable they feel. Forget (over) pronation compensation and all that, just strap them on and see how they feel. I've never worried too much about stability, so maybe this is just bias confirmation for me. Nevertheless, and regardless of the scientific merit of the study, I find it amusing when research (allegedly) pokes giant holes in companies' lines of bullshit.

Not confirming or denying the study, but the shoes I'm currently wearing was a gift to me by my parents, so all I had to do before they bought it was check if my feet fit it and if it was comfortable. I wasn't running back then, so I didn't check its pronation, stability, etc., and just bought it because it felt comfy. Fast forward to today and I haven't had any pain issues... so far. I can run for 30mins now (around 4K), so I haven't tried it at long distances. Maybe I chose the right shoe by luck or maybe the pronation stuff doesn't really matter? Can't really tell, but it (choosing based on how comfy it is) worked for me for this particular shoe.

Been having a small headache, almost non-stop since this morning when I woke up. I reaaaally wanna go for a run. Should I?

Go for it. Just remember to hydrate and/or take it easier than usual! Or you can do what I do, take a nap before you run. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't....

If you feel good enough to run I'd say go for it, worst case scenario you can always do a shorter run.

Go for it. Just remember to hydrate and/or take it easier than usual! Or you can do what I do, take a nap before you run. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't....

Went for the run and it actually went pretty well. Headache was gone during the run but returned about an hour after the run.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
My foot finally seems healed up to start running again. Going to need new running shoes since I wore mine out on the 14-15 mile walking. Any brands people recommend?

I know nothing of your current training schedule and if you have any goals other than sub 40 10k, but you would get much better results by not doing a time trial for it every week. Are those ran all out? If so, that's counter-productive.

Let your body recover, adapt and grow stronger. It takes weeks and months. If you go all out too often you plateau because you don't have time to recover and adapt beyond your current ability. Don't test your fitness (race) too often. Have a dedicated training cycle with specific workouts.

You're almost there and you could be even better with smarter training.

(also, don't start so fast)

kottila

If my goal was a to run below a 40min 10k, I would run the first 6-7km at 4min/km and then speed up if I had anything extra to give. aim for a negative split (last half faster than the first) on long distances

Top Bottom