• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Carlisle

Just ran my first half yesterday after years of 10-milers and under. Did the Navy-Air Force half in DC and it was great! Goal was to finish in under 2hrs and I came in at 1:59:16 haha. A half mile before the finish, my left ham started to cramp so I slowed to a walk (first time I ever had to walk in any race--I'm still a little bummed about it--and WTF! Months of training and long-distance running and 12.5 miles of this race all culminating in a debilitating cramp?! Fuck that noise!). A few minutes later it just went away so I sprinted to the finish and hit my goal! Then everything started cramping and today my legs are dead, but fuck yes I did it!

After the Army 10-miler last year, it went so well I wanted to do more, hence signing up for this race shortly after that. But I can safely say that a half marathon is my body's limit. I couldn't have run another step, which is painful way to end, but oddly a good, complete sort of feeling as well. I know I pushed my limits and did my best.

Then I imagined what it would be like if I had to just keep running and do that entire race over again. I will never do a marathon. You people are insane.

Fistwell

fuck yes I did it!
congrats on the achievement!

can safely say that a half marathon is my body's limit.
184.gif

otapnam

Anybody use the hanson training method? Im about to start a part of it for a half in November before i go all in for a full in march.

You got one day off with 3 easy days and 3 work days. Its alot of commitment but the theory makes alot of sense.

Has anyone here ever combined Intermittent Fasting with running? And also not only just running, but also improve your time/distance. How did that go?

Fistwell

Has anyone here ever combined Intermittent Fasting with running? And also not only just running, but also improve your time/distance. How did that go?
Was never on strict IF, but I've gone on 20+K runs plenty of times first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I remember several others in here mentioning they run fasted often as well. Don't think it's much of a problem, but maybe do go easy the first few times out and get a feel for it before going too crazy. Running on a loop so that you're never too far from home might be a good idea as well (alternate idea: run laps aorund the hospital).

Unrelated: rly rly rly wish I could run like this guy. So fcking smooth on that first 800. +_+

Was never on strict IF, but I've gone on 20+K runs plenty of times first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I remember several others in here mentioning they run fasted often as well. Don't think it's much of a problem, but maybe do go easy the first few times out and get a feel for it before going too crazy. Running on a loop so that you're never too far from home might be a good idea as well (alternate idea: run laps aorund the hospital).

Unrelated: rly rly rly wish I could run like this guy. So fcking smooth on that first 800. +_+

Ah alright, thanks for info. That's actually a bit encouraging, because I've been feeling a bit weaker during my runs. Maybe my body is still adjusting to the rhythm since I've only been doing for 2 weeks now.

Fistwell

Final race before Berlin in 3 weeks.
Best of luck for Sunday. What's the objective? Sub 3:00? 2:50? Let us know how it went. :)

Edit: The human body is an interesting machine. Had worked my hamstrings raw from too much uphill sprinting. Had convinced myself I had some sort of hamstring pull or tear or whatever. Just gave it a rest for a week, and now they're fine. I mean, I know it's how things work, you let stuff rest and it gets over shit. But it just never ceases to amaze me. I think part of it is coming off of having a pretty unhealthy lifestyle, I'm not used to my body being able to recover from things like that this quick. Oh well, onwards!

I left it all on the course Sunday morning. When I noticed the 3 hour pacer was going a bit faster I gambled and tried to hold on as long as possible(2:59ish about 0.25 from mile 24) and that's when my body gave up on that idea and I took a bathroom break. After 6-7 stops due to cramping(the last 3 mile splits were very ugly 8:17, 7:58, and 8:27) I said no more stopping after getting to Brandenburg Gate and emptied everything left i had in the tank. Hopefully it's enough to get me into Boston 2017. 3 min 18 second PR

qvsCW9T.jpg

VbSqW6s.png

Linius

Great job man. I would be happy if my half marathon is around the pace you ended your marathon with. And they always say the last few kilometers are the hardest, you'll make it under three hours in time. No doubt.

Fistwell

Woo! Grats on the PR, Rip!
Assuming you're falling under the 3:05 BQ standard, that places you almost 2mins below. I think the cutoff this year was about 1min below, so unless there's a big surge of (fast) applicants for 2017, you're probably good! :)
Very few people can run a marathon in just over 3h, you should be proud! Congrats on the achievement!

In unrelated news, I registered for my first race, a 10K in my hometown on the 11th. Not going in with huge expectations, just hoping for sub 40, which I've done in training. Mainly in it to get a first taste of organized races. The course is near the water. It's nice because it's flat. Sucks because the harbor is ugly and depressing as shit, think real-life dismaland.

Linius

Not going in with huge expectations doesn't match with running under 40 breh, that's mad pace and you know it :p

That kind of pace will get you in the top at most smaller events. And the best 5% if we're talking big events, like 40.000 people.

I hope to go under 45 in my 10K next month. Only downside is that it's the week after my half marathon. So I have no idea how I'll feel that day. On the other hand, that half marathon is more about finishing at a semi decent pace than trying to break some kind of PR. Never done a half marathon before so it's a PR regardless :p

Fistwell

Eh, you flatter me. What I meant is that I don't go in expecting to do much better than I've done in practice. Looking at last year's results, 40 would have placed around 120/1000.

Out of curiosity, how long have your long runs been and at around what pace? A semi is still pretty brutal, sounds crazy to race again just 1 week after. Then again, you're young and full of energy! :)

Linius

My long distance training is usually 10km or 15km. Ran that 16,1km the other week of course. To be fair, I'm not all that serious with running. Like, I just go running when I feel like it. Sometimes I skip a whole month :p

So far I've had 60 sessions of running since october 2013. That's when I started. So yeah, that's not much. 12 of those were between 10 and 20 km in length. Even with that little effort I can push myself towards better times if I'm in it for a while. I'm trying to up my game a little by at least running on a constant basis.

I feel like I got some potential in me to run pretty fast. Being a member of a student corps doesn't make it easier to commit to running though :p

I left it all on the course Sunday morning. When I noticed the 3 hour pacer was going a bit faster I gambled and tried to hold on as long as possible(2:59ish about 0.25 from mile 24) and that's when my body gave up on that idea and I took a bathroom break. After 6-7 stops due to cramping(the last 3 mile splits were very ugly 8:17, 7:58, and 8:27) I said no more stopping after getting to Brandenburg Gate and emptied everything left i had in the tank. Hopefully it's enough to get me into Boston 2017. 3 min 18 second PR

Congratulations on the PR!

In unrelated news, I registered for my first race, a 10K in my hometown on the 11th. Not going in with huge expectations, just hoping for sub 40, which I've done in training. Mainly in it to get a first taste of organized races. The course is near the water. It's nice because it's flat. Sucks because the harbor is ugly and depressing as shit, think real-life dismaland.

The atmosphere in a race is very different than training, it's pretty great. A couple of things to keep in mind:
- Starting zones: If you don't have a previous race time you'll probably have to start from one of the last starting waves. You shouldn't have too much of a problem overtaking other racers though, so don't fret too much.
- Circuit: If it's a zone you don't normally run in going there before the race can prove useful in identifying possible troublesome spots. If it's near the water expect some wind and humidity.
- Chip: Race organizers usually offer two inscription fees (at least where I live): one with a rented chip (white) and one where you can use your own (yellow). Having your own chip means in further races you don't have a diploma to get assigned a zone, your best time is automatically picked.
- Water: Try to know beforehand at which point the provisioning is going to be (there's a sign a couple of hundred meters before, but you never know), that way you'll be prepared for crossing runners.

You probably already know all this, but just in case :)

Also, good luck!

I hope to go under 45 in my 10K next month. Only downside is that it's the week after my half marathon. So I have no idea how I'll feel that day. On the other hand, that half marathon is more about finishing at a semi decent pace than trying to break some kind of PR. Never done a half marathon before so it's a PR regardless :p

I'm sure you'll be able to do it. Good luck! :)

Linius

In november I'm running the Zevenheuvelenloop. And yesterday it was announced that Kiprotich (Olymic champion marathon) and Ghebreslassie (World champion marathon) are also participating. Hopefully I get a chance to see them running, seeing those guys flash by in real life is something else.

Fistwell

My long distance training is usually 10km or 15km. Ran that 16,1km the other week of course. To be fair, I'm not all that serious with running. Like, I just go running when I feel like it. Sometimes I skip a whole month :p

So far I've had 60 sessions of running since october 2013. That's when I started. So yeah, that's not much. 12 of those were between 10 and 20 km in length. Even with that little effort I can push myself towards better times if I'm in it for a while. I'm trying to up my game a little by at least running on a constant basis.

I feel like I got some potential in me to run pretty fast. Being a member of a student corps doesn't make it easier to commit to running though :p
Not sure what pace you're targeting for your semi. If you've run 15 to 20K without problem every now and then, and seeing as though you raced 15 recently below 5min/K, you'll probably manage to hold a 5min/K pace over your semi with no trouble. So a shade over 1h45, a very respectable time.

The atmosphere in a race is very different than training, it's pretty great. A couple of things to keep in mind:
- Starting zones: If you don't have a previous race time you'll probably have to start from one of the last starting waves. You shouldn't have too much of a problem overtaking other racers though, so don't fret too much.
- Circuit: If it's a zone you don't normally run in going there before the race can prove useful in identifying possible troublesome spots. If it's near the water expect some wind and humidity.
- Chip: Race organizers usually offer two inscription fees (at least where I live): one with a rented chip (white) and one where you can use your own (yellow). Having your own chip means in further races you don't have a diploma to get assigned a zone, your best time is automatically picked.
- Water: Try to know beforehand at which point the provisioning is going to be (there's a sign a couple of hundred meters before, but you never know), that way you'll be prepared for crossing runners.

You probably already know all this, but just in case :)
Thanks for the tips. I honestly am not sure what to expect, so any bit of advice helps and is appreciated. I actually do know the area fairly well, but I'll still go on a reconnaissance jog the day before. In part for me, to feel what it's like to run in that area at that time of day, but mainly for the wife, who signed up for the 5K, but gets anxious in places she doesn't know (she gets lost easy -_-').

In november I'm running the Zevenheuvelenloop. And yesterday it was announced that Kiprotich (Olymic champion marathon) and Ghebreslassie (World champion marathon) are also participating. Hopefully I get a chance to see them running, seeing those guys flash by in real life is something else.
Gawd, I'd be such a groupie, I'd possibly swoon.

Linius

Yeah five minute pace is about my target. Especially since I've been training on a more regular basis lately it should be doable. September has been my most active running month since I've started.

I'm still very new at this, I've done 8.64km today over 70 minutes, not fully running, but the interval training or whatever you call it. I use runtastic and the couch to 5K app, am I doing ok or bad?

Fistwell

Yeah five minute pace is about my target. Especially since I've been training on a more regular basis lately it should be doable. September has been my most active running month since I've started.
Yeah I think you'll manage 5min/K just fine.

I'm still very new at this, I've done 8.64km today over 70 minutes, not fully running, but the interval training or whatever you call it. I use runtastic and the couch to 5K app, am I doing ok or bad?
Why hello there fellow runner! You're doing awesome by default for getting off your ass. Hard to give you any more detailed feedback without knowing your goals. :)

Yeah I think you'll manage 5min/K just fine.

Why hello there fellow runner! You're doing awesome by default for getting off your ass. Hard to give you any more detailed feedback without knowing your goals. :)

I'm not sure. Like my goals are to lose weight and get fitter but I assume you mean in terms of distance and stuff, in which case I have no clear goal in mind.

Fistwell

Na I meant generally what you want to achieve. Losing weight and getting fitter is a great goal, and running can certainly help there. Around what distance do you run per week? At what pace (70/8.64=8ish min/K, not a bad beginner pace)? What's your general fitness level right now, on a scale from complete slob to mo fucking farah?

If you're in moderately bad physical shape, running 8Km 2 to 3 times per week, going at a pace that feels challenging, and if your diet is (reasonably) under control, you will drop weight and will gain fitness. The weight part is more impacted by diet, but the running does help. You'll see your fitness improving very concretely: your pace will naturally increase (before eventually hitting a plateau). If you're worried about the diet you should hit up the nutrition thread, or directly go talk to ILoveBish in the fitness thread (which has a lot more traffic). They'll tell you to count calories (using an app like myfitnesspal), and might or might not try to sell you on low-carbs and/or IF.

Feel free to ask more pointed questions. We don't have all the answers but we love to help.

Na I meant generally what you want to achieve. Losing weight and getting fitter is a great goal, and running can certainly help there. Around what distance do you run per week? At what pace (70/8.64=8ish min/K, not a bad beginner pace)? What's your general fitness level right now, on a scale from complete slob to mo fucking farah?

If you're in moderately bad physical shape, running 8Km 2 to 3 times per week, going at a pace that feels challenging, and if your diet is (reasonably) under control, you will drop weight and will gain fitness. The weight part is more impacted by diet, but the running does help. You'll see your fitness improving very concretely: your pace will naturally increase (before eventually hitting a plateau). If you're worried about the diet you should hit up the nutrition thread, or directly go talk to ILoveBish in the fitness thread (which has a lot more traffic). They'll tell you to count calories (using an app like myfitnesspal), and might or might not try to sell you on low-carbs and/or IF.

Feel free to ask more pointed questions. We don't have all the answers but we love to help.

Right now (or before beginning exercise) I was like, not quite a slob but pretty close, although I used to walk a lot.

I'm trying to go every day, at least for now. I'm trying to do 30 days straight, work into my routine, so then I can take rest days without entirely losing motivation.

Fistwell

At least one day off per week is usually seen as a good idea. It's supposed to help your body recover and help avoiding injuries from accumulated fatigue. Some people don't believe in off days. In the end it's a matter of being attentive to what your body tells you, if you feel unusually tired and aches and pains are starting to get out of hand, I wouldn't be shy about taking a day off. At the very least, don't let pride or the fear of not being motivated enough get in the way. Six days/week is already plenty.

Woo! Grats on the PR, Rip!

Assuming you're falling under the 3:05 BQ standard, that places you almost 2mins below. I think the cutoff this year was about 1min below, so unless there's a big surge of (fast) applicants for 2017, you're probably good! :)
Very few people can run a marathon in just over 3h, you should be proud! Congrats on the achievement!

looks like i have work to do. they just announced the cutoff for next year and it was 2 minutes 28 seconds to get in for Boston 2016

Fistwell

looks like i have work to do. they just announced the cutoff for next year and it was 2 minutes 28 seconds to get in for Boston 2016
Oups. Good news is, you can break 3h "easy" if you iron out the kinks at the end. Are you gonna give it another shot? You know we're all rooting for you here!

congratulations, you 35-to-39yo old man you! ;)

Only barely...still have a month of being 34 to go ;). Thanks!

Edit: Sorry you didn't make it, Rippel :(. I have to imagine that the high cutoff this year is an anomaly. You seem like a lock to make it in for 2017, seeing as a sub 3-hr marathon is just a matter of time for you from the looks of it.

Edit 2: So I didn't pay close enough attention to WHEN you ran your race, so this would be for qualifying for 2017. D'oh. That being said, I think you'll be in with the time you have.

Oh you'll see, being old is awesome! (38 in a month myself)

I did keep telling myself I would at least age into qualifying for Boston if nothing else :p.

So my fall marathon this year is Steamtown, in Scranton, PA on the 11th of October. It's a net dowhill of 955 feet, though all the hills are evidently at the end. This will be my first time on this course, but I'm hoping for the best...maybe a sub 3:05:00?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I've come from can barely run to doing a half marathon in September for charity(38 in November) 😁. Feel so proud of myself . Hardly the fittest person . But I like running as it clears my head, want to keep it up just my Achilles' tendons can be really right after.. Are sports massages any good ?

Gandie

Hey guys,

I'm new to Running GAF, looking for discussion and sharing experiences. In three (more or less) serious years of running I finished the Freiburg half marathon three times (1:40) this year. I run because it keeps me healthy and because it's a lot of fun. After this year's HM in April I had a injury-related break. I'm moving to Cologne on Sunday for Uni, and I'm very excited about exploring this new environment.

Also got new shoes last week, they feel like heaven.

I'm obviously not at the same level as some of you guys here (only judging from the last few pages), but I'm interested in what you guys experience.

I've been lurking this thread for years and don't have much to contribute but I'm glad this thread exists. At 5:30am on October 1, I'm about to start a new month with hopes to just increase mileage. It's nice to see this thread at the top of the forum as I'm about to go out the door.

• July I ran 236.
  • August I ran 230.
  • September I ran 240.
I can see 270 miles for October (which would be my highest month ever) but don't want to jinx it. I do most of my long runs on trails and right now I'm training for a 50k in early January.

Keep up the running Gaf. What a great thing to have in your life.

I've been lurking this thread for years and don't have much to contribute but I'm glad this thread exists. At 5:30am on October 1, I'm about to start a new month with hopes to just increase mileage. It's nice to see this thread at the top of the forum as I'm about to go out the door.

• July I ran 236.
  • August I ran 230.
  • September I ran 240.
I can see 270 miles for October (which would be my highest month ever) but don't want to jinx it. I do most of my long runs on trails and right now I'm training for a 50k in early January.

Keep up the running Gaf. What a great thing to have in your life.

Looks like you're on a great roll! 270-ish is where I've topped out during marathon training in the past. Sticking to trails has probably been good on your legs. I'd eventually like to start going for ultra's myself once I'm satisfied with where I'm at marathon-wise, and when I do I'll try to go for more trail running.

While I'm at it, a question...does anyone here have a preferred shoe for trail running? I mostly wear the Skechers GOrun line for road running, but the one trail shoe of theirs I tried (GObionic Trail) fell apart after just 40~50 miles.

Oups. Good news is, you can break 3h "easy" if you iron out the kinks at the end. Are you gonna give it another shot? You know we're all rooting for you here!

Yea offcourse i wasn't happy with how that race ended. Just have to get into better shape and race smarter. Going after 2:58 wasn't the greatest idea but took a cue from Steve Prefontaine and raced with guts instead on Sunday. Always learn something new from a race so i'll just look back on Sunday and said i gave it everything i had.

entremet

It's getting cold and cloudy in my area. Not as pleasurable to run outside and I hate treadmills.

I wonder if I want to make running more of a seasonal thing.

I enjoy winter running, mostly. I take pride in being out there when most other people won't. Snow and cold don't bother me. I don't run any less in the winter, but the only thing that really hinders me is ice. I'm not going out there to break my neck or leg.

There were a couple days in the past couple years where it was so cold that even I admit that I probably shouldn't have run. I'm really stubborn, though. But when it was -10, and windy, yeah I probably shouldn't have gone that day. I probably looked like a complete idiot to anyone who was driving by, and I don't have any defense for that. I was still proud of myself when I got it done, though.

More practically, running through the winter keeps you in shape for the spring. When all the other people have gained their winter weight, and won't fit into their spring clothes, you won't have that concern.

Plus it just makes you feel like a badass.

GiJoccin

so im signed up for a half marathon tomorrow, but the forecast says low 50's and rainy...

any tips for running in this sort of weather? clothing to wear? do you eventually warm up?

Zoe

so im signed up for a half marathon tomorrow, but the forecast says low 50's and rainy...

any tips for running in this sort of weather? clothing to wear? do you eventually warm up?
You'll definitely warm up if it's in the 50's, but you'll probably want something to their on post-race.

If it's rainy, try to wear material that won't absorb too much.

Can somebody recommend me the most powerful sweat wicking visor. I sweat like a pig. Sometimes I put tissue in my bandana to increase wicking.

Is Headsweat super visor the best?

TheGrue

I enjoy winter running, mostly. I take pride in being out there when most other people won't. Snow and cold don't bother me. I don't run any less in the winter, but the only thing that really hinders me is ice. I'm not going out there to break my neck or leg.

There were a couple days in the past couple years where it was so cold that even I admit that I probably shouldn't have run. I'm really stubborn, though. But when it was -10, and windy, yeah I probably shouldn't have gone that day. I probably looked like a complete idiot to anyone who was driving by, and I don't have any defense for that. I was still proud of myself when I got it done, though.

More practically, running through the winter keeps you in shape for the spring. When all the other people have gained their winter weight, and won't fit into their spring clothes, you won't have that concern.

Plus it just makes you feel like a badass.

My brother! I run throughout the winter as well, even if it's icy/snowy outside. It's my favorite time of the year to run. Worst part, though, is I've yet to find some gloves that keep my fingers from going number during the first mile until they warm up and overcome. It gets a little scary, but they always thaw out about a mile in (this is during single digits to negative temps).

Fistwell

Good to see more people posting in here.

Did some specific work at target race pace, felt good. GPS was a little generous though, was closer to 19:50 on the 5K but whatever. Hyped for next week. :D

Top Bottom