• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

My area running club is ramping up for spring training starting on Saturday so we did a free social run today. I was the fastest runner that was there so I kind of led the pack. Somehow by the end I clocked in 6.5 miles. That's the furthest since my half in December. Felt great. :)

KeRaSh

I was unable to run for the last two months because I had pain in my right knee. Got it checked out by a doctor and got MRI scans. Not sure 100% what exactly was wrong with my knee but the doc ordered me to hit the gym and do some leg strengthening exercises. I was skeptical because my legs are the most muscular part of my body by a large margin...

Well, I've been hitting the gym for a few weeks now and tested the waters on a treadmill for the first time since early December.

I was able to run 3.5K without any pain!

I must have looked really weird because I was probably smiling to myself the whole time.
Not going to rush into anything right now but just this short run felt liberating.
I'll limit myself to 1 short and easy run per week for now and focus on more strength training and will then slowly ramp up the mileage again before running outside again.

Baby steps!

Gowans

Hey guys,

Been a long time since being in this thread, i've ran on and off but had a big break and starting again with the 5K Runner app.

Slow starting but looking forward to keeping it up and looking after my legs.

Trying to get back at it, being a new year and all that stuff. Started with a 3,5K run on monday. Will go for a 5K tomorrow. Mainting pace at 5 min/km still for some reason. Before last week my last run was the Disney half back in september :p

Linius, glad to see you are running again, too :)))

I ran the other day at -6c :(((.

Was only a 5k, but there was a very tough little stretch of hill in the 3rd-4th km. Once I heard my time after the 4th I set my self a target to reach for the 5th and killed it.

Hey guys,

Been a long time since being in this thread, i've ran on and off but had a big break and starting again with the 5K Runner app.

Slow starting but looking forward to keeping it up and looking after my legs.

Wb! As one of the newer Gaffers on here, I've always seen your first post as the OT creator so I just wanted to say thanks for creating this!

I've met some wonderful Gaffers through here and it's helped inspire my runs even more! Good luck with your training!

I was unable to run for the last two months because I had pain in my right knee. Got it checked out by a doctor and got MRI scans. Not sure 100% what exactly was wrong with my knee but the doc ordered me to hit the gym and do some leg strengthening exercises. I was skeptical because my legs are the most muscular part of my body by a large margin...

Well, I've been hitting the gym for a few weeks now and tested the waters on a treadmill for the first time since early December.

I was able to run 3.5K without any pain!

I must have looked really weird because I was probably smiling to myself the whole time.
Not going to rush into anything right now but just this short run felt liberating.
I'll limit myself to 1 short and easy run per week for now and focus on more strength training and will then slowly ramp up the mileage again before running outside again.

Baby steps!

Many running injuries are due to poor form from the person "compensating" for certain areas not being as strong as they should. It sounds like you resolved your issue. Glad to hear it! :)

Gowans

Wb! As one of the newer Gaffers on here, I've always seen your first post as the OT creator so I just wanted to say thanks for creating this!

I've met some wonderful Gaffers through here and it's helped inspire my runs even more! Good luck with your training!

Thanks and thanks! Yeah I'm starting from the beginning again too but every run I'm excited for.

Thanks and thanks! Yeah I'm starting from the beginning again too but every run I'm excited for.

I had no idea you were our OP. Welcome back! Honestly I have never been an active contributor to a single thread on GAF but I am trying to make this the one I am active on. I am not an expert by any means, but I have learned a lot over the last 2 years in getting serious with running.

As a shout out to everyone who may be new (or returning) to the thread. We have a running club on Strava. Please feel free to join up and run with your fellow GAFers!

I went for my longest run yet today, just over 6.5 miles (I ran roughly a .25 marathon). I run on a dark trail with a flashlight most nights and towards the end of tonight's run when I was getting pretty tired a deer jumped out in front of me and scared the living hell out of me. It instantly woke me up with a shot of adrenaline and sent me into survival mode for a second. It's the second time it has happened to me, but this time caught me way more off guard as I saw the white tail flash in the first encounter to prepare myself and this time it was out of no where.

Edit: I also just learned that my town is not holding the half marathon I planned to run in mid-February this year for some reason. I'm looking to signup for one in Nashville at the beginning of March now.

Fistwell

FML so much. I have the marathon this Sunday and I kinda blew it by not training this while time.
Nonsense! Who needs training when you got GUTS! Run like hell! Start strong! Crash at like mile 3 in a heap of tears blood and piss!!

Yeah, no, maybe take it easy on this one, dude. Good luck. :)

Hi guys

Late to the goals but here's my 2p.

1) run a 50 mile race
2) do justice to the 40 mile race I was rubbish at last year
3) try and run at least 5k a day
4) 1000 miles for the year

Currently at 4 days on one day off with number 3. That should move to 5 and 1 in a week or 2. Very much got my groove back after losing when we moved house in August last year.

So, I'm doing well on my 1000 miles in 2017 goal (46 miles so far!) but I desperately need a new pair of running shoes. What do people like this year?

I've been using Ascics Gel Nimbus 18, which got me through a half-marathon last September.
T600N_2390_0010255942_RT_AAC

Before that I had Brooks Ghost 8
Ghost_8_banner.jpg

I'm a heavy guy (still hovering around 260) and I run a lot, so I need something that can put up with a pounding.

The Nimbus 18 is like running on a cloud for awhile, and the Brooks felt more like a second skin, but was initially much harder. I think I want to give the Brooks another chance, but I'd be up for trying anything. I also hear Saucony is decent.

So, I'm doing well on my 1000 miles in 2017 goal (46 miles so far!) but I desperately need a new pair of running shoes. What do people like this year?

I've been using Ascics Gel Nimbus 18, which got me through a half-marathon last September.
T600N_2390_0010255942_RT_AAC

Ghost_8_banner.jpg

I'm a heavy guy (still hovering around 260) and I run a lot, so I need something that can put up with a pounding.

The Nimbus 18 is like running on a cloud for awhile, and the Brooks felt more like a second skin, but was initially much harder. I think I want to give the Brooks another chance, but I'd be up for trying anything. I also hear Saucony is decent.

It's hard to give you or anyone a shoe recommendation. You should honestly wear what is right for you (running gait, your weight, weekly mileage,etc). If you have a pair of shoes that already work I suggest you stay very close to what you've used and stayed injury free.

mdsfx

It's hard to give you or anyone a shoe recommendation. You should honestly wear what is right for you (running gait, your weight, weekly mileage,etc). If you have a pair of shoes that already work I suggest you stay very close to what you've used and stayed injury free.
If they've never been fitted and had their step analyzed, I highly recommend it. I've had so few injuries ever since doing that myself. The right shoe makes an enormous difference.

Jay Sosa

bonjour

I'm looking for some trackpants that are neither leggings, tailored like a tent or make me look like Justin Bieber.

Bought 2 adidas track pants (serena) that were apparently designed by either the pride of Canada or Mc Hammer. They're pretty comfy but way too big at the waist, too narrow at the ankle and to top it off also too short.

So I'm looking for some pants that have zipped pockets, are slim fit but with normal, straight legs. Does such a thing even exist? Anyone any idea what brand to go for?

TIA

Goodlife

Just knocked off another 6 seconds from my 5k pb.
20.44 now.
Another 45 seconds to reach my ultimate goal.... seems impossible at the moment, but I'm sure I'll get there (hopefully)

Jayof9s

As other people have said, it definitely depends on your foot.

I wore asics (I think the GT?) for at least a decade and had no issues until they started getting too narrow even when I bought the wide-size and it started causing plantar facilitis. I then switched to Saucony Omnis and wore those for the last 4-5 years but they changed with the 15s and were causing major issues to a prior achilles injury and I have been back to my 14s (that are very worn) until I can find a new shoe that actually suits my feet without causing injuries.

Which is to say, don't just have someone say X brand/shoe works for them because that doesn't mean it will work for you. Even if a particular shoe worked for you in the past, they tend to make small changes year after year that can eventually lead to the shoe no longer working for you.

If they've never been fitted and had their step analyzed, I highly recommend it. I've had so few injuries ever since doing that myself. The right shoe makes an enormous difference.

I had my step analyzed, but just at the shoe store on the treadmill. The thing is, I think I ran slightly differently knowing I was being watched. They said I had a neutral arch, but the wear patterns on my shoes show definite signs of underpronation (or being a supinator?). I guess, it hasn't mattered much so far, but I am planning on putting a ton of miles on this year, and I don't want to destroy my feet.

-Snip-
Which is to say, don't just have someone say X brand/shoe works for them because that doesn't mean it will work for you. Even if a particular shoe worked for you in the past, they tend to make small changes year after year that can eventually lead to the shoe no longer working for you.

Yeah, I guess there is something to that. I just always feel like its a crapshoot with shoes. Sometimes they feel great in the store, but 100 miles in, small things start to become more irritating, or even painful and was hoping for a non-existent magical bullet shoe.

panda-zebra

20.44 now.
Another 45 seconds to reach my ultimate goal.... seems impossible at the moment, but I'm sure I'll get there (hopefully)

Find yourself a fast, flat 5k race and you'll be knocking more off than just a few seconds. Shame there's no flat parkruns down your way.

I had my step analyzed, but just at the shoe store on the treadmill. The thing is, I think I ran slightly differently knowing I was being watched.

Dunno how anyone can run normally on a treadmill, such unnatural weird contraptions, I think my one time on a treadmill will definitely be my last.

Dunno how anyone can run normally on a treadmill, such unnatural weird contraptions, I think my one time on a treadmill will definitely be my last.

I hate the cold and I live in Wisconsin, so I'm 100% treadmill running now and probably will be until the end of April/early May. Years ago, when I first tried, there certainly was a learning period, but you can settle into a nice groove.

I like treadmill running, I probably do about 60/40 split outside/treadmill. In an almost empty gym I find it quite peaceful and it's where I do a lot of my speed work. I would actually say it is more difficult on a treadmill, if I try and run the equivalent time/distance on a treadmill it takes much more out of me.

I'm a former treadmill convert. Now that I've been running outside more, I refuse to hop on a treadmill. If given the choice, I will personally hop on the elliptical 99/100 times.

The one time being when I choose a bike 🙃.

p2535748

I've messed up my knee twice since I started running regularly 7 years ago. Both times were on a treadmill. Part of it is that it's too easy to push the pace beyond what you should. Unfortunately, I still end up on the treadmill when there's snow/ice out (I run at work, and it's busy enough I need to stay on sidewalks, which are sometimes not cleared). Otherwise, no matter the weather, I'm outside.

Did a run in -9 this morning, my coldest ever run. I had wanted to run the day before, but there was too much snow on the road and I didn't want to risk it.

Happy with my time. Just a 5k, but hitting the low 5 minutes per again.

I plan to go for an 8k on Monday and try to aim for a 10k by the end of next week. I really need to build my distance up again. Mainly just running 5-7. Hopefully, I can hit the 4 minutes per km time for a 5k this week, too.

Nonsense! Who needs training when you got GUTS! Run like hell! Start strong! Crash at like mile 3 in a heap of tears blood and piss!!

Yeah, no, maybe take it easy on this one, dude. Good luck. :)
I'll attempt it if I remember to wake up on time. Getting there at 5 though RIP lol

Fistwell

I'll attempt it if I remember to wake up on time. Getting there at 5 though RIP lol
This is starting to sound like too much fun now. :)

20.44 now.
What's your plan? I think you run mostly easy, with one fast 5K a week, something like that?

I think you'd benefit from switching that up for a cple of weeks. You could replace that 5K with 5X1K intervals at above goal pace (~6:10, 6:15/mile), followed the next week by 3X1mile at around target pace (6:20ish). Keep the rest honest between intervals, you want to break it down to not kill yourself, but you don't wanna completely recover, you want to teach the body to repeat efforts in close succession (~4 to 600m jog recovery, somethng like that). Get some good rest before your next 5K TT (2+ days of rest with good sleep), and I think you probably nail that goal.

In any case, good luck! You really aren't far.

littledipster

Neo Member
Just did my first "long run" since my last marathon in October, about 18.4 miles (plus 1.3 miles to get there). I must be pretty out of shape, because I feel horrible now! It didn't help that I had to walk the 1.3 miles back home after soaking wet from sweat in the ~30 degree temps. I'm hopefully going to start doing a 15-20 mile long run once every week, but the club meets at 8 AM on Saturdays which is pretty early for me. Running with other people does help a lot for the long runs though.

Fistwell

Just did my first "long run" since my last marathon in October, about 18.4 miles (plus 1.3 miles to get there). I must be pretty out of shape, because I feel horrible now! It didn't help that I had to walk the 1.3 miles back home after soaking wet from sweat in the ~30 degree temps. I'm hopefully going to start doing a 15-20 mile long run once every week, but the club meets at 8 AM on Saturdays which is pretty early for me. Running with other people does help a lot for the long runs though.
How much do you usually run per week? 20 mile long runs are usually for peak mileage weeks in marathon training. Are you preparing an ultra?

Edit: right, you're a 2h50 marathon runner, nevermind me, I assumed you were normal, lol. :)

littledipster

Neo Member
How much do you usually run per week? 20 mile long runs are usually for peak mileage weeks in marathon training. Are you preparing an ultra?

Edit: right, you're a 2h50 marathon runner, nevermind me, I assumed you were normal, lol. :)

Haha, I'm pretty normal, I swear! Right now I'm averaging around 60 a week but it's typically a 7-10 mile run everyday. I really need to work the distance back into my schedule for my april marathon, otherwise I'm gonna crash and burn about halfway through the race.

And there's one guy in the running group I go to who runs a crazy amount, he said he's going to hit 140 miles this week? THOSE are the not normal people haha ;)

Fistwell

Haha, I'm pretty normal, I swear! Right now I'm averaging around 60 a week but it's typically a 7-10 mile run everyday. I really need to work the distance back into my schedule for my april marathon, otherwise I'm gonna crash and burn about halfway through the race.

And there's one guy in the running group I go to who runs a crazy amount, he said he's going to hit 140 miles this week? THOSE are the not normal people haha ;)
140 is pretty nuts! That's more than a lot of elites. Takes a special kind of strength to not damage yourself on that kind of schedule. What's your goal on your next marathon?

littledipster

Neo Member
140 is pretty nuts! That's more than a lot of elites. Takes a special kind of strength to not damage yourself on that kind of schedule. What's your goal on your next marathon?

I think he is actually elite, he gets like top 10 in a lot of the races around here (I think he ran a 2:30 marathon a year or two ago).

As for my goal, the race is the Boston marathon, so I'm not expecting a PR or anything, but I think getting another BQ time would be pretty awesome. I'm worried about the hills there since it's so flat around where I am, but hopefully I can get through them fine! Do you have any races planned currently?

Fistwell

I think he is actually elite, he gets like top 10 in a lot of the races around here (I think he ran a 2:30 marathon a year or two ago).

As for my goal, the race is the Boston marathon, so I'm not expecting a PR or anything, but I think getting another BQ time would be pretty awesome. I'm worried about the hills there since it's so flat around where I am, but hopefully I can get through them fine! Do you have any races planned currently?
Yeah I meant actual elites (no offense to your friend) as in pro runners. I don't have anything planned in the short term. Might enter a marathon in October, unsure what to shoot for. I'll probably start training with a 3h target in mind (ambitious for me) and adjust goals depending on how hard training feels.

mdsfx

Novice question: Is there a general rule of thumb for half vs full marathon pace?

My last half was 7:45/mi and I'm signed up for my first full in October. I have absolutely no clue what to set for as a goal. Farthest I've run is 17mi at an 8:30/mi pace which was comfortable.

Fistwell

Novice question: Is there a general rule of thumb for half vs full marathon pace?

My last half was 7:45/mi and I'm signed up for my first full in October. I have absolutely no clue what to set for as a goal. Farthest I've run is 17mi at an 8:30/mi pace which was comfortable.
Yeah, there's a whole bunch of equivalence tables out there. See Jack Daniel's here for example. Your semi is "equivalent" to a 3h30 marathon (8min pace).

To be specific, what the table means is that, given the level of fitness you showed in that semi, you should be able to reach the given target in the marathon if you do train specifically for the event (it's something you can reach, not necessarily something you already have).

It's heuristic and obviously not 100% accurate, but it's usually pretty close. I'm not sold on the suggested training paces though.

mdsfx

Yeah, there's a whole bunch of equivalence tables out there. See Jack Daniel's here for example. Your semi is "equivalent" to a 3h30 marathon (8min pace).
Whoa. I feel like that would require some serious training and progress to achieve only 15sec/mi slower for double the distance. Seems aggressive!

JB1981

Going to do a half-marathon for the first time in my life in April. I just started running and the left side of my left knee is bothering me. It doesn't actually feel like the knee itself but the muscle, tendons, tissue surrounding it hurt and are sore. I just got back from a run and had to cut it short because my knee hurt too much. Any recommendations? I have a foam roller and a racquetball that I've been trying to roll on. Should that help?

Fistwell

Going to do a half-marathon for the first time in my life in April. I just started running and the left side of my left knee is bothering me. It doesn't actually feel like the knee itself but the muscle, tendons, tissue surrounding it hurt and are sore. I just got back from a run and had to cut it short because my knee hurt too much. Any recommendations? I have a foam roller and a racquetball that I've been trying to roll on. Should that help?
Yeah I mean foam rolling won't hurt, but it sounds like something is wrong either with your running form, or you have some sort of muscle imbalance (both probably, the latter leading to the former). If it persists, the only reasonable thing to do is see a physician. Sounds like its the somethingsomething band on the side of the leg (can't remember the name).

*googles*

IT band! I knew it was band something. See here. I've never had that myself. *knocks on wood*

You don't happen to have a video of you running we could look at by any chance?

How's your footstrike? (front, mid, heel) How are your shoes? Cushy? Old, new? How heavy, tall?

mdsfx

Oh god the IT band. I went through that and it can be frustrating. I was fitted for shoes, started focusing on NOT heel-striking, and kept my cadence higher (more/faster steps) and with enough rest between runs, it went away. Haven't had problems in over a year. Not sure what actually helped it.

Also, I found foam rolling to not only hurt, but make things worse for me personally. Rest seemed to help it the most. Not saying to follow my advice, it was just my experience.

JB1981

Yeah I mean foam rolling won't hurt, but it sounds like something is wrong either with your running form, or you have some sort of muscle imbalance (both probably, the latter leading to the former). If it persists, the only reasonable thing to do is see a physician. Sounds like its the somethingsomething band on the side of the leg (can't remember the name).

*googles*

IT band! I knew it was band something. See here. I've never had that myself. *knocks on wood*

You don't happen to have a video of you running we could look at by any chance?

How's your footstrike? (front, mid, heel) How are your shoes? Cushy? Old, new? How heavy, tall?

No video of me running but I did go to Runners World and got custom shoes and did the run on the treadmill where they observe your footstrike. My right knee never bothers me, it's always the left and I have had this problem on and off over the years. I can go weeks where the knee never bothers me and then I'll have a week like this where I can hardly finish a run. It's most definitely the IT band because foam rolling on that spot hurts like a bitch and I can feel how tight it is. Maybe a good massage to loosen the band might help? Structurally the knee seems fine. I think I strike mid mostly. I should probably pay more attention to how I run haha

partime

So I have a Disney half tomorrow and I'm in Coral A.
The only problem is I haven't trained and have been only running 4 or 6's once a week for months.

The last time I was running consecutively was last Oct.

EEKK, if I ran a 1:49 when training last year, what should I expect tomorrow?

Would you run in Coral A (in the back obviously), or move to a slower Coral from the start?

panda-zebra

ITBS is usually caused by hip and glute weakness. Foam rolling won't really help, need to strengthen. My brother had a period of hell with this.

Fistwell

So I have a Disney half tomorrow and I'm in Coral A.
The only problem is I haven't trained and have been only running 4 or 6's once a week for months.

The last time I was running consecutively was last Oct.

EEKK, if I ran a 1:49 when training last year, what should I expect tomorrow?

Would you run in Coral A (in the back obviously), or move to a slower Coral from the start?
Front of the pack! Run like hell! Crash at mile 3!

Dunno, don't expect much if you havent trained for the distance. Run at a pace where the first 6 miles feel easy is what people say or something? The later miles will probably hurt. I wouldn't worry about corral tbqh (/rick twd). Yeah start in the back of it, but so long as you're mindful of people coming from behind and giving them room to pass, you're fine. The real bastards are the idiots starting at the very front, "running" at the pace my dad walks his dog, and taking all the room ignoring my "sorry, s'cuse me beeeatch you in the waaay hellooooo?"

Best of luck!

Goodlife

This is starting to sound like too much fun now. :)

What's your plan? I think you run mostly easy, with one fast 5K a week, something like that?

I think you'd benefit from switching that up for a cple of weeks. You could replace that 5K with 5X1K intervals at above goal pace (~6:10, 6:15/mile), followed the next week by 3X1mile at around target pace (6:20ish). Keep the rest honest between intervals, you want to break it down to not kill yourself, but you don't wanna completely recover, you want to teach the body to repeat efforts in close succession (~4 to 600m jog recovery, somethng like that). Get some good rest before your next 5K TT (2+ days of rest with good sleep), and I think you probably nail that goal.

In any case, good luck! You really aren't far.

Cheers for that! I'm just tending to fit in runs where / when I can with work (work away in different places at different times of the week) so hard to really stick to a tight plan, but usually home on Fridays with time for a quick lunchtime run, hence why I'm tending to do 1 fast 5k a week.
But will take that onboard, the interval training sounds like a very good plan (I haven't done any for a while for some reason)
Fingers crossed :)

Discourse

I planned to run all through winter and prepared by buying all kinds of winter running gear but I haven't done any running since temperatures started going below -10 degrees celsius. I've tried to be brave some mornings but I didn't get far because it's really painful on my face.

Spades

Moving back to Nike+ tracking since getting my Apple Watch has been great at reminding me of PB's I'd like to break. Perfect for motivation!

I moved to other tracking applications for 18m so it's nice to be back. I've always liked how Nike handle/present their data.

Top Bottom