• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Secret Santa 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

norm9

Got myself an International Tiny Tim! Pretty stoked. And based on the post history makes the gift giving very simple.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I know my SS will be going through my post history if they haven't already but please, no videogames if you're that way inclined

Ordered my TT a present already, not sure if I'm going to be able to afford more than the one this year but IIRC I have to send the tracking to Nic right?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ordered my TT a present already, not sure if I'm going to be able to afford more than the one this year but IIRC I have to send the tracking to Nic right?

It's not required, but at the very least keep it around. If your TT doesn't get their gift, you can use your tracking to prove that you did at least send it. The past few years, around 30% of the people didn't send me tracking. So it's not worth enforcing.

FrsDvl

This is more difficult than I thought it would be, but that's OK. Hopefully my TT will be happy, once I decide on what to get.

And to my SS, I hope it's not too difficult for you. If you need any help, feel free to have someone contact me on your behalf.

dAlba6S.png

Got a message from my SS :O

Josh5890

Am I supposed to wait for my secret santa to post info on themselves? I'm not sure if the person will and I don't want to wait till the last minute. How should I think about this? LOL

I've already taken a couple PM's as a middle man. I would be happy to ask your tiny tim if you need some info. Feel free to PM me

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
GAF, I need your help on this. Through Google-Fu and sleuthing given what was provided to me, I have come across information that is probably/almost certainly crossing the line, so my gut reaction is probably to say no, but: if you're trying to make sure your TT's gift is amazing, would you message said TT's SO to help you out to figure out if he/she has certain things before you purchase?

Given that I'm a complete stranger, even though intentions are good, I feel like this is pretty much crossing the line, especially since it's not like this information was given to me.

I'm an idiot and this is a clear no right?

I would avoid this.

Just PM myself or one of the folks willing to as an intermediary.

Remk

Mmhh.... I have a couple of ideas on my mind already for my TT, yet I'm not sure if they would be a good fit either.

Urghh, decisions

Remk

Just use the email tag:

Your message here [/ Email]

Just remove the space on the second bracket, the only way for someone to see it is to quote your post.

Just use the email tag:

Your message here [/ Email]

Just remove the space on the second bracket, the only way for someone to see it is to quote your post.[/QUOTE]

For some reason, tagging it like that isn't working for me. It keeps putting it public as if the bracketed parts don't exist.

Hjod

Banned
Found some things for my TT while browsing at Harrods yesterday, I figured I might as well when I'm visiting London.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
^^Harrods? They're not the same now they stopped selling exotic animals. ;-)

For some reason, tagging it like that isn't working for me. It keeps putting it public as if the bracketed parts don't exist.

It should be <<<<<quote to reveal.

Hmm I should probably most some stuff I like.

I'm big into anime (figures, art books, blu rays, soundtracks etc), PS4 is my system of choice. I really like Steins Gate, haven't played 0 yet.

I love the Football. Buckeyes are awesome. NFL is cool, but my Browns are so awful I don't need any reminders of them in gift form. heh. I received a pretty awesome Cavs gift last year so that was neat.

Disney is a big love of mine, especially Disney Parks.

I post a fair bit, so if you need more ideas you can go back through my post history. :)

Little late in writing this, so hopefully no one bought any My Little Pony socks for me ;p

StayDead

As someone that grew up with the original cartoon in the early 80s I am now googling what this is about. It's not the same as that live action movie that came out about 4 years ago is it? I actually loved that movie and glad I managed to catch it on the big screen.

*edit*
The original show is 42 years old? 70s Japanese animation was awesome, Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato) and Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman) felt like grown up cartoons when I was 8 compared to what was going around on NZ television like Captain Caveman. Scooby Doo etc.

2199 is a remake of the original animation. It's amazing and it's getting a sequel soon IIRC!

I'll do my best to post about myself later today. I'm pretty difficult to shop for as it is, so I feel like I should give whoever has me a little help.

Speaking of help: who are this year's elves? My TT hasn't posted much in this thread, and his posting history isn't helpful at all!

StayDead

My Tiny Tim I thought was going to be very hard to buy for, but after I searched his post history for the sort of threads he's posted in, it's made it much easier as there's a very common theme!

To my SecretSanta:

I'm a gamer, but have like almost everything, so no games please (gaming related stuff, like posters, miniatures, etc is ok though *g*). I also have a 3ds but only one single game (MonsterHunter)
Shirt size: L
Job: Software Engineer (graphics programmer)
Favourite Snack: Everything with peanut butter in it :) Chocolate
Favourite Drink: Coffee

I love sports (baseball [Yankees] and soccer [Bayern]), cooking, graphic novels.

Hope that helps a bit :)

If my SS is still looking for gifts then ill add a little more info. I dont think they will get much out of my post history as for the past 4 odd months have been 99% in the overwatch thread :-0

If you need anymore info then ask one of the helpers to shoot me a message and ill try and respond ASAP.

Male or female: Male

Shirt size: Medium.

Current occupation: 3D Artist

Favourite Color: Burgundy, but ill wear any colour clothes.

Favourite Hobby: Games, Comics, books, Climbing, Drinking, Eating, Films, Sci Fi, Lego

Consoles Owned: PS4, PS3, PC

Favorite show/movie series/franchises: Star Trek, Adventure time, All the popular netflix stuff, Black Mirror, Anything Sci Fi

Favorite video game genre: RPG, point-and-click, TRPG

Do you collect anything: Lego mini figs, Comics, Magnets, Cool geeky mugs

Also heres my wishlist again if it helps.
http://amzn.eu/adX8p7t

gaiages

Banned
A question, not actually for my GAF TT experience (thank you for the details, seriously) but my Reddit one. I figured I could get some advice here lol...

Has anyone gotten a gift you already have in a Secret Santa exchange in the past? If so, what did you do with it? My Reddit Secret Santa has been... Kinda slim on the information and when I asked him to elaborate on a particular part of his hobbies, it didn't help much at all on figuring out what the heck he actually has. I have ideas of what to get him but I'm worried he might maybe own it? I mean I understand its a guessing game at some points but I dunno :p

Purchased part 1 of my gift, a little worried about shipping on this one. Have an idea for part 2 and then will do a card! Part 2 and the card will definitely be there on time, part 1 might be a little late :x

Okay, here goes...

Shirt size: medium

Current occupation: Government social media/part-time Master's student

Favourite Color: orange

Favourite Hobby: Video games, reading (my Goodreads, for some idea of the types of books I'm into), cycling (though only on city trails, so nothing too intense)

Consoles Owned: PS4, Vita, Xbone, PS3

Favorite show/movie/book series/franchises: Not really into movies, though I enjoy old noir & comedies from the '30s through the '50s. I like TV comedies like 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, etc. For books, I lean more towards Harry Potter-style YA fantasy, or urban fantasy like the Rivers of London series. Also, superhero comics.

Favorite video game genre: I'll play pretty much anything, but I'm partial to 3rd-person action games.

Favorite video game series/franchises : Batman Arkham, inFamous, MLB The Show

Do you collect anything: I play tonnes of games and read lots of books, but I wouldn't call myself a collector of anything.

Personal about me: I'm a pretty hardcore vegan, so food gifts are okay, but only if they fit that restriction. Oh, I made an Amazon wishlist, though everything on there is way more than I'd expect anyone to spend on me -- I just never get to ask any friends or family for games, so I'll do that here just for the heck of it!

Just got a text form my mum letting me know my SS gift has arrived at my parents. Will open on Christmas day when i visit, YAY:)

That was quick!

tumblr_ns2g67cCjB1urnro1o1_500.gif

dreams

Got my Tiny Tim, hooray! Gonna get something off their wishlist and then send something a bit more personal separately.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Picking out gifts is super hard when you don't know much about your recipient, haha. I think I've got some ideas, hope they like em!

TehOh

A question, not actually for my GAF TT experience (thank you for the details, seriously) but my Reddit one. I figured I could get some advice here lol...

Has anyone gotten a gift you already have in a Secret Santa exchange in the past? If so, what did you do with it? My Reddit Secret Santa has been... Kinda slim on the information and when I asked him to elaborate on a particular part of his hobbies, it didn't help much at all on figuring out what the heck he actually has. I have ideas of what to get him but I'm worried he might maybe own it? I mean I understand its a guessing game at some points but I dunno :p

I actually did get a book one year that I already had. I didn't say anything to my SS, but I donated it to a local library.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I appreciated the effort on the part of my SS, even though I already had it.

Bought a gift for my TT and I'm a bit nervous on whether they'll like it or not, though it was on their wish list so that gives me hope.

Will send it after it gets here early next week!

Bought a gift for my TT and I'm a bit nervous on whether they'll like it or not, though it was on their wish list so that gives me hope.

Will send it after it gets here early next week!

Once you're past 15/early teens it's the thought that people appreciate, and if it's something they actually really like and haven't already bought themselves then it's extra special.

Mieu

SS. I have been delayed, but here I am too!!

Shirt size: L

Current occupation: Investor Relations

Favourite Color: Blue

Favourite Hobby: Gaming, running, shopping for toys and figures, sketching, reading artbooks

Consoles owned: Vita, PS3, PS4, PS2

Favorite show/movie series/franchises: How I Met Your Mother, Genso Suikoden, Final Fantasy XV, Persona, Marvel VS Capcom, Tales of, Megaman, Megaman X, King of Fighters, Samurai Shodown, Star Wars, Monster Hunter, Uncharted

I listen to Justin Bieber, Carlie Rae Jepsen.

Favorite video game genre: JRPGs, action-RPGs, platformers, action games ala Streets or Rage.

Favorite video game series/franchises : See Above.

Do you collect anything:Starbucks cards, starbucks mugs, video game artbooks, cute plushies or teddy bears. I collect toys I like.

Personal about me: i love listening to video game OSTs in YT. I love to eat. I like to try a candy from your country. Watching
chick flicks
is a guilty pleasure of mine. I love browsing artbooks and knowing character concepts and such. I just stare and marvel over my action figures. I used to run but I'm still recovering from an injury. I love taking pictures using mobile phone. I take pictures of my food before eating them.

I love Snorlax and Psyduck

I hope you can send me a personalized letter. I'll be happy to get one from you. Feel free to get in touch if you have questions.

Also, shipping can be a bit messy here during the holidays so I may get it at a later date.

Here's the stuff I have so i hope it won't duplicate:

Artbooks/Guides
Monster Hunter Illustrations 1
Monster Hunter Illustrations 2
Hyrule Historia
The Sky (Final Fantasy, Amano)
The Last of Us (Strategy Guide)
Ni No Kuni (Guide)
Megaman 25th anniversary (compiled with X)
Final Fantasy XV (Guide)
Marvel vs Capcom 3 (Guide)
Kingdom Hearts 2 (Guide)
Persona 3: Official Design Works
The Art of Final Fantasy XV
Tales of Zestiria (from the US CE)

Figures:
Resident Evil set from Organic
Edge Maverick and Reimi Play Arts Figures
Megaman Amiibo
Megaman Funkopop
Protoman Funkopop
Patrick Starfish Funkopop
BB8 Funkopop

I guess this should make you acquainted to me.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I actually did get a book one year that I already had. I didn't say anything to my SS, but I donated it to a local library.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I appreciated the effort on the part of my SS, even though I already had it.

This is pretty cool. I think anyone would appreciate this fact - donating a duplicate gift.

Good to see this is going so smoothly this year. No major hiccups yet!!

kennah

Male or female: M

Shirt size: No shirts please

Current occupation: Theatre technical

Favourite Color: Paisley

Favourite Hobby: Lately? Pokemon, home restoration

Consoles owned: PC, 3DS, Wii U, PS3

Favorite show/movie series/franchises: MCU, Pokemon, British TV,

Favorite video game genre: My favourite games from the last few years have been Mass Effect, Stick of Truth, Borderlands Series, Rocket League, Elite Dangerous. I wish I had more time for RPGS, but I do have time for easyish linear games with a good story that aren't too long. (one the recent Wolfenstein games would be a great gift)

Favorite video game series/franchises : Borderlands, Mario, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, XCOM,

Do you collect anything: Not really. However some little figures or something for my kids would be welcome

Personal about me: I'm a big fan of 'reuse' so a regift, or something second hand is very very welcome and encouraged. I work in theatre, and always request theatre programs or other such things local to the person who is sending to me. Don't worry about fulfilling a wish list - instead tell me a story of where you are from. Local post cards, museum pamphlets, does your town have a 'giant thing'? I have three kids (6, 4, 2), so if you can include some sort of small trinket for them that'd be super awesome, and even more important than getting something for me :) Candy is also welcome. A bag of locally roasted coffee would be so cool!

The GAF SS is the only Christmas thing I do, and usually the only gift I get (at my request to friends and family). This'll be like my 6th year doing it I think, and it has been super special each time.

For the purposes of ideas/demographic information, here are my steam and Amazon wish lists.

Amazon

Steam

^ Edit: Keep the mystery! Some people put notes in their boxes revealing themselves. I did last year :)

My tiny tim didnt post any info about themselves so I guess I'm gonna have to internet stalk them >.>

For my Secret Santa!

---

Male or female: female

Favorite Color: Red

Favorite Hobby: calligraphy and drawing, amateur photographer (really eyeing that Sony a6000 haha)

Favorite books/movies/shows/franchises: Terry Pratchett's Discworld, especially Tiffany Achings, anything by Diana Wynne Jones, Kurt Vonnegut, Spirited Away, Battlestar Galactica

Favorite video game series/franchises: Zelda, Pokemon, Monkey Island

Do you collect anything: Art prints (favorite artists are Olly Moss and Kevin Tong), collectible book editions (think Easton Press or Subterranean Press)

Personal about me: No actual games please! My backlog is stupid. T_T I LOVE art prints. Like this: http://discworld.com/products/artwork/colour-print-tiffany-papercut/ (hint! :) Also love nice versions of books!

My Amazon wishlist (it's pretty empty now, will add more items): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/12BTIUFL0X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Uhh I have a problem, it appears that the Secret Santa order for my TT was split into two parts, the first part was delivered successfully but the second part was refused delivery at the same address.

The order is on its way back to the shop but WTF do I do? Do I PM an elf to tell my TT to accept anther delivery" I don't think he lives at the postal address full time but I'm confused as to why the first delivery was accepted but not the second.

I apologise if this indentifies me to my TT but obviously I'd rather they recieved all of their gifts.

Kisaya

Done picking out my TT's gifts! I'm going to roam around the city tomorrow and find a nice card and maybe some additional small things to throw in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom