• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Kaiken

Banned
Anyone used an MHL adapter on this? Anyone tried using a USB controller? I want to daisy chain the two together do I can play GTA3 on my TV with a controller and also get some kind of splitter to keep it all charged? Will this work? Is there a chance that using all these devices and adapters together might somehow damage my phone in some way?

Here's a vid of someone using a generic mhl adapter:

Galaxy Nexus MHL cable demo

BigFwoosh

Anyone used an MHL adapter on this? Anyone tried using a USB controller? I want to daisy chain the two together do I can play GTA3 on my TV with a controller and also get some kind of splitter to keep it all charged? Will this work? Is there a chance that using all these devices and adapters together might somehow damage my phone in some way?

I got an official Samsung MHL adapter the other day. Haven't tried daisy chaining, but I read on another forum that it doesn't work. You can always use bluetooth to pair up a PS3 controller though. There's an app called Sixaxis Controller on the Market that will help you with that.

The adapter itself works really well. There's a micro USB port on it so you can charge your phone through it. I watched a couple minutes of a Friday Night Lights episode and it looked pretty damn good on my 42". I'm running the normal Netflix app too, not that hacked higher quality one that's been floating around.

Sky Chief

I got an official Samsung MHL adapter the other day. Haven't tried daisy chaining, but I read on another forum that it doesn't work. You can always use bluetooth to pair up a PS3 controller though. There's an app called Sixaxis Controller on the Market that will help you with that.

The adapter itself works really well. There's a micro USB port on it so you can charge your phone through it. I watched a couple minutes of a Friday Night Lights episode and it looked pretty damn good on my 42". I'm running the normal Netflix app too, not that hacked higher quality one that's been floating around.

Yeah, that sounds like a better solution. You have to root to use the SIXAXIS app right?

Forsete

Finally managed to re-create the digital clock from the lock screen. :p

3PuhJ.png

Thanks to Advanced Clock Widget by Zooper Inc

Forsete

So much wasted space by that Google search bar. I think I've used it maybe once? A fourth on screen button for search would be best. They could also put the search bar on the notification pull down bar.

Do you guys ever use the search bar?

I like your idea of having it in the notification bar.
But yeah I use it sometimes, searching for apps/widgets and stuff like that. :)

Salaadin

I use the search bar more than I thought I would.

Have there been any more rumblings about the release date of ICS 4.0.3? I heard that some devices got it but it ended up having some glitch that sapped battery life so they pulled it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I use it pretty regularly, esp. for quick access to voice commands. I agree that it could be condensed but it wouldn't really free up a whole additional "row" height of space though, so I'm not sure what that would achieve.

That can't just be it. My signal bar is similarly yellow but my battery definitely isn't as bad. You'll have to dig further with an advanced battery app, Menelaus.

Agreed.

Menelaus, get betterbatterystats (all one word) from the market.. it should give you a better idea of what's killing your battery.

Emily Chu

Banned
does the verizon version work on a verizon 3G plan if I buy it unlocked ?

I have the grandfathered unlimited plan but can't upgrade to 4G unlimited or change plans until Feb 2012.

oh my GAWD 4G unlimited sounds so fucking GODLIKE...

uRa5t.gif

jenov4

So much wasted space by that Google search bar. I think I've used it maybe once? A fourth on screen button for search would be best. They could also put the search bar on the notification pull down bar.

Install Nova Launcher.. its ICS based and no more persistent search bar!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1389071

Works great. I prefer it over the standard ICS launcher... but it has the 'look' and 'feel' of the standard one.

Circle T

does the verizon version work on a verizon 3G plan if I buy it unlocked ?

I have the grandfathered unlimited plan but can't upgrade to 4G unlimited or change plans until Feb 2012.

oh my GAWD 4G unlimited sounds so fucking GODLIKE...
Yes. There is no difference between 3G and 4G with VZW. If you have "Unlimited" data now with a 3G device, they will keep your plan the exact same, but just change it to 4G. You will have the same $30 data plan, but with "Unlimited" LTE now.

Emily Chu

Banned
Yes. There is no difference between 3G and 4G with VZW. If you have "Unlimited" data now with a 3G device, they will keep your plan the exact same, but just change it to 4G. You will have the same $30 data plan, but with "Unlimited" LTE now.

so let me get this straight if I buy the verizon nexus galaxy 32GB unlocked now from ebay

I get to use 4G LTE NOW????!!!!!

omgomgomgomgomgomgomg :D

no extra service or hidden charges ?

Menelaus

Banned
so let me get this straight if I buy the verizon nexus galaxy 32GB unlocked now from ebay

No snags or catches at all. They told me this in hushed tones in store, as not to upset the data-capped losers =)

Circle T

Yes. They will put the phone on your account, and then change you from a 3G "Unlimited" plan to a 4G "Unlimited" plan. No price differences, or anything else. You'll be off and running with Unlimited LTE.

Emily Chu

Banned
Yes. They will put the phone on your account, and then change you from a 3G "Unlimited" plan to a 4G "Unlimited" plan. No price differences, or anything else. You'll be off and running with Unlimited LTE.

one last Q

I'm part of a family plan of 5 though, they still get to use 3G unlimited right ?

since you said no difference between 4 or 3G

thanks, now it's off to plunk down 700$ on this thing!!

Circle T

one last Q

I'm part of a family plan of 5 though, they still get to use 3G unlimited right ?

since you said no difference between 4 or 3G

thanks, now it's off to plunk down 700$ on this thing!!

Correct. They will just adjust the SOC code for your line to provision you as 4G capable, everyone else will stay the same. It is all just VZW-internal stuff that will change. Your plan, and all the family lines with it, will stay the same.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
After spending a trip with the extended battery I think I'm still going to use the standard one. Just like the way it feels. Extended will be nice to have for trips and as backup and stuff though especially now that I've pretty much centralized on my GN what used to be spread out across my Nexus S, Droid X, iPod, etc.

zatara

With 4g off, autosybc off, brightness at 20% and no apps installed...my battery drains at 1% a minute when im browsing. Is that normal.

reKon

Banned
rooted this today... I wanted to try emulation on this and I was able to play games using my PS3 controller (tried it just cause I could lol). All I would need is the MHL cable and then I'd have a portable console if I want.

so far battery life wise, I'm usually getting 24 hours with moderate usuage. I will maybe post more detailed observations later about battery life.

I love google music and the audio quality is excellent, but I believe I discovered a bug with it. Whenever I'm listening to music and I go to try to turn on/off the EQ settings, it does a forced reboot. I've done this twice now...

Today, the first 3rd party video player was updated to fully support the Tuna. It's MX Video Player, which happens to be my current favorite video player on Android. It properly supports full screen on Tuna and hides the soft buttons so you can use the entire 4.65" Super AMOLED HD screen for video! It's actually the smoothest and best performing player I've found so far in the SW Fast mode, though it also runs well on the Tuna playing 720p video in regular SW mode. Also, it's free.

Sky Chief

Use an app called Contacto's
Very basic and straightforward but it completes the job.

You seriously need an app to do this!? This is a basic task that every phone I have owned in the last ten years could do! Really weird stuff. Will Contacto also allow me to receive contacts by text message?

You seriously need an app to do this!? This is a basic task that every phone I have owned in the last ten years could do! Really weird stuff. Will Contacto also allow me to receive contacts by text message?

Nah. It just sends it as plain text. Its not very robust. It helps with people who have a lot of info in their card. For example multiple numbers, emails, their address, etc.

Ashhong

Can anybody with the GSM version on T-mobile post their APN settings for MMS? I have an AT&T Galaxy S2 and am using it on T-mobile and cannot for the life of me get MMS to work. I have tried tons of different values. Hoping maybe the Nexus settings would match.

Sky Chief

Nah. It just sends it as plain text. Its not very robust. It helps with people who have a lot of info in their card. For example multiple numbers, emails, their address, etc.

Crap so how do I easily get contacts from other people who use dumb phones or iPhones or whatever? The fact that Android doesn't allow you to send and receive contact info seamlessly through text messages just blows my mind. I literally thought that every phone did that because I have never had one that didn't, I thought it was like some universal SMS thing.

Crap so how do I easily get contacts from other people who use dumb phones or iPhones or whatever? The fact that Android doesn't allow you to send and receive contact info seamlessly through text messages just blows my mind. I literally thought that every phone did that because I have never had one that didn't, I thought it was like some universal SMS thing.

I've never used that feature, but I agree that we need that feature. It should def. be standard.

reKon

Banned
Today, the first 3rd party video player was updated to fully support the Tuna. It's MX Video Player, which happens to be my current favorite video player on Android. It properly supports full screen on Tuna and hides the soft buttons so you can use the entire 4.65" Super AMOLED HD screen for video! It's actually the smoothest and best performing player I've found so far in the SW Fast mode, though it also runs well on the Tuna playing 720p video in regular SW mode. Also, it's free.

Yeah, I've been using MX video, I haven't figured out all the touch controls, but it's been great.

Sky Chief

Yeah, I've been using MX video, I haven't figured out all the touch controls, but it's been great.

Meh, I'm waiting for them to update MoboPlayer. It's performance is way better on my GN than MX but it won't go full screen and hide the buttons. On HD files the audio often drops out on MX player completely after a few minutes even on SW Fast mode. That kinda sucks.

NH Apache

Banned

You can email and bluetooth contacts, but not text.

reKon

Banned
I wish that the folders weren't limited 16 apps. I would like to have the ability to have swipe through different pages in folder and I don't think that would complicate things too much

MiniKelly

i need to invert the colors when browsing neogaf and tapatalk so black is the background color.

This should save some battery for the SMOLED screen and i dont see the dark grey lines at all in a black background.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Why is it called "the Tuna"?
Internal codename for the phone (and there's no 'the')

i need to invert the colors when browsing neogaf and tapatalk so black is the background color.

This should save some battery for the SMOLED screen and i dont see the dark grey lines at all in a black background.
The secondapps GAF portal has an option in the settings to invert color for AMOLED devices. It's incredibly useful for saving battery life.

I've never owned a smartphone but I'm considering purchasing the nexus or the galaxy s2. In on of the review's comments I read it says:
1. No OUTLOOK SYNC! Being self employed I have always used microsoft outlook for calendar, email, and contacts as I dont trust any form of cloud yet. Guess what, Samsung have remove all sync capabilities outside of google!!?? This means Kies sync is not compatible either so you are forced to manually upload your contacts... I had over 300. All third party software requires you to first sync via google (your owned, dude)
We have exchange 2010 at work and I'd like to be able to use it to check my email. Does this mean I'd be better off with the s2 if this doesn't have outlook sync? Or is this guy incorrect (or I don't understand what they're talking about? - Is there other ways to get my email to my phone not including using the webmail?). Thanks!

Top Bottom