• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Angst

I've never owned a smartphone but I'm considering purchasing the nexus or the galaxy s2. In on of the review's comments I read it says:

We have exchange 2010 at work and I'd like to be able to use it to check my email. Does this mean I'd be better off with the s2 if this doesn't have outlook sync? Or is this guy incorrect (or I don't understand what they're talking about? - Is there other ways to get my email to my phone not including using the webmail?). Thanks!

I'm pretty sure the guy doesn't know what he's talking about as there is native support for exchange in Android. If for some reason you can't sync your contact the quickest and easiest solution is to export the contacts in Outlook as a .csv file and then import it to gmail.

Husker86

I've never owned a smartphone but I'm considering purchasing the nexus or the galaxy s2. In on of the review's comments I read it says:

We have exchange 2010 at work and I'd like to be able to use it to check my email. Does this mean I'd be better off with the s2 if this doesn't have outlook sync? Or is this guy incorrect (or I don't understand what they're talking about? - Is there other ways to get my email to my phone not including using the webmail?). Thanks!

That guy is talking about Outlook for home users I bet, not Exchange servers. Exchange is supported, the old way Windows Mobile used to sync to Outlook is not.

That fella is so far behind the times I wouldn't read into anything he says.

Having this phone delivered today at some point

is there anything i should be excited about ?

I personally am excited about owning a pure Google handset for the first time but is there anything to this phone ?

Angst

That guy is talking about Outlook for home users I bet, not Exchange servers. Exchange is supported, the old way Windows Mobile used to sync to Outlook is not.

That fella is so far behind the times I wouldn't read into anything he says.

Yeah, that's probably it. I still don't understand why he doesn't just:
1. migrate to gmail
2. export all contacts to gmail
3. ????
4. Profit?

It's not like there's any advantage to syncing with your offline outlook client.

kinggroin

Banned
Having this phone delivered today at some point

is there anything i should be excited about ?

I personally am excited about owning a pure Google handset for the first time but is there anything to this phone ?

...you purchased it, dont you know the answer to this?

720p screen, very thin, very light, no onscreen buttons, lte compatible and running android 4.0

thespot84

It sounds like you'll be hooking into exchange, in which case as stated before there's native sync built into android, and it's only improved with ICS. There are even new security policies that work in ICS so IT managers can sit fat and happy.

HOWEVER, I would recommend that you look into touchdown, and maybe get work to pay for it, as it's the best damned outlook client I've seen since I used to sync to exchange with my wold windows mobile phone.

So been playing around with this today for quite a bit and all i have to say is HOLY SHIT

loving every bit of it so far , first thing that really struck me was how amazing the screen is really is a stunner.

now its on charge, when i plugged in the charger though there was no sound indication that its charging, on the screen i can see that its plugged in and charging but there was no sound indication that its plugged in.

is it supposed to be like that ?

with the S2 there was like a small sound indication but with this nothing.

I also checked the version of android i have and it says 4.0.1 , is that the latest version for the nexus ?

So been playing around with this today for quite a bit and all i have to say is HOLY SHIT

loving every bit of it so far , first thing that really struck me was how amazing the screen is really is a stunner.

now its on charge, when i plugged in the charger though there was no sound indication that its charging, on the screen i can see that its plugged in and charging but there was no sound indication that its plugged in.

is it supposed to be like that ?

with the S2 there was like a small sound indication but with this nothing.

I also checked the version of android i have and it says 4.0.1 , is that the latest version for the nexus ?

Download LightFlow my man. You'll thank me later.

Download LightFlow my man. You'll thank me later.

lol going to give it a try with the free version first.

Seeing as this is a pure Google phone , i thought the updates were supposed to be rolled out to every nexus handset!!!

yet some people have 4.0.1 and some have 4.0.2

is there a program to download for the nexus where you can manage stuff like Kies for the S2 ?

or is everything done OTA with Google phones ?

Menelaus

Banned
I've dropped mine countless times, but I'm using the rubber sleeve from Verizon. Has survived just fine so far. It's way too slippery to use naked, much like the iPhone.

reKon

Banned
still having trouble picking out a case for this. I really want to keep it naked, but that's not the most wise decision. I want a case that doesn't fatten the phone up, offers decent protection, and something that just makes it still look good. I don't want one that blocks the power/volume keys.

gcubed

lol going to give it a try with the free version first.

Seeing as this is a pure Google phone , i thought the updates were supposed to be rolled out to every nexus handset!!!

yet some people have 4.0.1 and some have 4.0.2

is there a program to download for the nexus where you can manage stuff like Kies for the S2 ?

or is everything done OTA with Google phones ?

CDMA and GSM have sorta different updates. 4.0.2 was more for LTE (and screwed up a few things on the GSM handset) which is why it was never rolled out to everyone. A variant of 4.0.3 should be out to all once its released

VanWinkle

I finally tried out a Galaxy Nexus at a Verizon shop at the mall. For some reason, I was thinking it was going to be smoother than it was. I guess I'm used to my WP7 phone. I would still like it though because the screen and device are brilliant looking.

Well, I've had my Nexus since Christmas Eve and it's incredible. Finally getting close to completing personalizations(for now). I've been holding off on posting in here every 10 minutes with a new issue, choosing to compile and post all at once. Hopefully some others have encountered some of these issues and any answers can benefit more people than just myself. Some of these are general Android questions, so if not answered I'll probably move those to the general Android thread:

-I've noticed that with some widgets any changes made in the settings are delayed before being reflected in the widget. Am I the only one who has encountered this? Simple Calendar Widget has been the main culprit.

-Visual Voice Mail. This was touted as a feature when the phone was revealed but I have no clue how to set it up.

-Epicurious appears to be broken. The last update according to the market was sometime in 2010 so I have a feeling they've dropped support. Can anyone recommend a similar cooking/recipe app which actually works on ICS?

-Almost every picture I take has red eye but I have yet to successfully use the edit feature to remove the offending hue. Am I fat fingered, or something? Has anyone else had this problem?

-Google contacts is randomly choosing different naming sequences for my contacts. Sometimes it has a contact down as first name/last name and others the reverse. Huge pain when looking up contacts by scrolling as I'm not always certain where they will be listed alphabetically. Fixes?

-Amazon Kindle versus Google Books. Why the huge popularity of Kindle? I bought books for both and the only two things I cared about(page changing animation and something else that I can't remember anymore) were both better in Google Books. Is it selection? Also, Kindle appears to be broken for ICS. I was only able to read right after buying the book. Afterward, going into the app resulted in a black screen. Ended up returning the book today.

-Why the hell are my photo folders displaying pictures newest to oldest. Who goes through an album that way. This should be basic and my freaking Touchpad does the same thing. Is there a fix somewhere in the settings?

-Redraws are regular occurrences. I thought this would be a thing of the past with ICS. What's surprising is that I haven't seen this complaint anywhere else. Is it just me?

-Accesories. I want a holster case. Suggestions? Also, the docks are pricey. 85 dollars through Bell Canada for the car dock. Does it do anything special? Seems a little exhorbitant for something that at the end of the day is just holding up my phone for me.

Aesius

My Nexus is currently at 31 hours on the extended battery without charging. That's with moderate usage too (web browsing, texting, and about 45 mins of voice).

NICE.

still having trouble picking out a case for this. I really want to keep it naked, but that's not the most wise decision. I want a case that doesn't fatten the phone up, offers decent protection, and something that just makes it still look good. I don't want one that blocks the power/volume keys.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00696DH8Q/

that is the case i went for , it looks good and from the looks of it doesn't fatten the phone much.

Husker86

-Amazon Kindle versus Google Books. Why the huge popularity of Kindle? I bought books for both and the only two things I cared about(page changing animation and something else that I can't remember anymore) were both better in Google Books. Is it selection? Also, Kindle appears to be broken for ICS. I was only able to read right after buying the book. Afterward, going into the app resulted in a black screen. Ended up returning the book today.

Well, Kindle books can be used on a variety of devices. I would never buy from Google Books because it won't be sitting there, at the page I left it, when I go back to my Kindle.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Well, Kindle books can be used on a variety of devices. I would never buy from Google Books because it won't be sitting there, at the page I left it, when I go back to my Kindle.

It's ecosystem lock-in (and also selection I'm sure though I haven't really used Books enough to know) a la Apple. If I could start over again I probably wouldn't go with Kindle store but c'est la vie. e-ink is great for sure but I always wind up going back to my mobile device for most e-reading, especially now with the GN. I do like the animations in Books yeah, picked up a few books on there so I have both.

I finally tried out a Galaxy Nexus at a Verizon shop at the mall. For some reason, I was thinking it was going to be smoother than it was. I guess I'm used to my WP7 phone. I would still like it though because the screen and device are brilliant looking.

True multitasking will always have a price to be paid. At least until phones are all running quad-core ARM Cortex A15 CPUs in a few years. Windows Phone 7 might be dead already by then, though.

thespot84

-Visual Voice Mail. This was touted as a feature when the phone was revealed but I have no clue how to set it up.
I would just use google voice. They're transcriptions are so bad they're funny but no one really has that down yet, but you get all the features of VVM.

-Redraws are regular occurrences. I thought this would be a thing of the past with ICS. What's surprising is that I haven't seen this complaint anywhere else. Is it just me?

Sounds like there might be an offending widget that's not playing nice with the launcher. what 3rd party widgets have you added?

I would just use google voice. They're transcriptions are so bad they're funny but no one really has that down yet, but you get all the features of VVM.

Sounds like there might be an offending widget that's not playing nice with the launcher. what 3rd party widgets have you added?

Unfortunately, Google Voice is U.S. only.

Widgets on Nova Launcher:

Switchpro Widget
Simple Calendar Widget
Google Search Bar
Circle Launcher
Beautiful Widgets Weather Forecast
Circle Battery Widget
SiMi Clock

Stock Launcher:

The only thing different is the "Time to get to your destination" widget. I forget what it's called exactly.

Quick answer would probably be that it's Nova Launcher, but I can confirm that I was seeing the issue before throwing on the launcher.

wait... what other way would they be displayed!? is this a joke entry?

Since time immemorial, when I load up pictures I took on a digital camera onto my computer they show up in the folder as oldest to newest. If I go on a camping trip, I don't want to review my pictures from the most recently taken to the oldest picture. The story would be getting told out of order. I don't want to scroll to the bottom of a picture folder, select the last picture, and then swipe left to right to review a night out in the order that it occurred. I'm kind of surprised to hear that anyone prefers it the other way, unless you were just misunderstanding my complaint.

Something I completely forgot to include in my original post. What is up with Car Home not being compatible with the GN? How is it possible that even google doesn't have their own apps upgraded and ready to go for a new OS launch. Is there a good Car Home type app someone can recommend as a stopgap?

thespot84

Quick answer would probably be that it's Nova Launcher, but I can confirm that I was seeing the issue before throwing on the launcher.

Something I completely forgot to include in my original post. What is up with Car Home not being compatible with the GN? How is it possible that even google doesn't have their own apps upgraded and ready to go for a new OS launch. Is there a good Car Home type app someone can recommend as a stopgap?

Yeah that's weird, I haven't heard of redraw issues from anyone yet re: the stock launcher. I use the traffic widgets and they have caused no problem (they're also pretty much a baked in feature, as they come with maps).

For the car home, try this in the interim: https://market.android.com/details?...GwsMSwyLDEwOSwic3Bpbm5pbmdoZWFkLmNhcmhvbWUiXQ..

Trouble

Banned
Just got my Otterbox commuter case.

First time in my life I've installed a screen protector without giving up and throwing it away. I always seem to get that one tiny spec of dust trapped in there that makes a bubble that I can't get rid of. The screen protector that came with it only covers the actual screen, not the entire front glass, so I kinda doubt it's going to last long. Once the edges start losing their adhesion I will remove it.

It's weird that my gnex in a commuter case is still quite a bit lighter than my iPhone 3GS was in a commuter case.

gcubed

i have about 8 books on google books, i read on my tablet 90% of the time, and the GN is actually a serviceable reader if i get bored (although i would never actively seek out my GN to read).

I dont own a kindle.

Husker86

i have about 8 books on google books, i read on my tablet 90% of the time, and the GN is actually a serviceable reader if i get bored (although i would never actively seek out my GN to read).

I dont own a kindle.

Right, but he was wondering why Kindle was popular overall. I have a Galaxy Tab as well as my GN and eink Kindle. I much prefer reading on my Kindle and I'm sure many others feel the same way so I think that would explain the popularity. I'd probably consider buying from Google if I could get them to my Kindle.

lunchtoast

Just got my Otterbox commuter case.

First time in my life I've installed a screen protector without giving up and throwing it away. I always seem to get that one tiny spec of dust trapped in there that makes a bubble that I can't get rid of. The screen protector that came with it only covers the actual screen, not the entire front glass, so I kinda doubt it's going to last long. Once the edges start losing their adhesion I will remove it.

It's weird that my gnex in a commuter case is still quite a bit lighter than my iPhone 3GS was in a commuter case.

How is the thickness? I was thinking of getting this case.

Blackhead

Redarse
I dont think there is an extended battery for the GSM model :-\
wait... what other way would they be displayed!? is this a joke entry?

Thanks so much. This is so good just for the ability to supress the fullscreen keyboard mode that some text fields require. Can you recommend any of the layouts? Is it possible to assign any of the buttons to select/copy/paste ? It's amazing already , thanks again

gcubed

Right, but he was wondering why Kindle was popular overall. I have a Galaxy Tab as well as my GN and eink Kindle. I much prefer reading on my Kindle and I'm sure many others feel the same way so I think that would explain the popularity. I'd probably consider buying from Google if I could get them to my Kindle.

well yeah, if i owned an actual kindle i wouldn't support google books. the only time i have a desire for an eink reader is at the beach (eink is definitely superior, but not enough for me to buy one at this point)

Cartman86

Banned
I ordered my phone from a third party vendor (Wirefly). The paperwork with the phone says I need to call a specific number (a Wirefly) number to activate my phone. Is this true? I can't just go through Verizon? I ask because it's been two days and their fucking phone system isn't working and i'm starting to get very annoyed.

Thanks so much. This is so good just for the ability to supress the fullscreen keyboard mode that some text fields require. Can you recommend any of the layouts? Is it possible to assign any of the buttons to select/copy/paste ? It's amazing already , thanks again

haha wrong quote there? for a second i was like... wait... ooohhhh...

try several different layouts, see which feels best for you in portrait/landscape. and there's an optional row of function keys you can enable and you can program copy/paste to them.

Spoiled. You should have to use a Blackberry Storm for a year first to really earn it.

Oh shit I remember the Storm lol. Good idea. Bad implenentation.

I went:

Some random Nextel phone (everyone loved walkie talkie functionally at this point in time)
T-Mobile Dash
BlackBerry Storm
Motorola Droid
Motorola Droid X
Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Not bad at all I'd say!

Spoiled. You should have to use a Blackberry Storm for a year first to really earn it.
hahah i still remember when i got my first phone... it was a Sprint Mogul (HTC Titan) and all my friends were like "wait, no.. you're supposed to have a crappy phone first then work your way up!"

can't believe they're already reusing the HTC Titan name.

Top Bottom