• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
It seems like it gets worse over time as well...the bottom half of my nexus one is noticeably greener than the top half of the screen when displaying whites and grays :(

Yep, and the top has a pinkish tint.

The problem actually worsens when the screen is dimmer, if you crank up the brightness the color casting goes away. AMOLED by it's nature suffers from color casting when the screen isn't anywhere near full brightness, and I think the problem with it being pink on top and green on bottom has to do with the fact that it's a curved screen.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I hope there's a GAFer who would be willing to trade their GSM Nexus for my CDMA one when I move to Europe this summer.

Keyouta

I was playing Game Dev Story on my Nexus and noticed the battery was getting low. I plugged it in to charge and it said it was charging. The battery ended up dying and the phone shut off. Would this be a defect? Is there a way to fix it? I'm on 4.0.1.

kinggroin

Banned
I was playing Game Dev Story on my Nexus and noticed the battery was getting low. I plugged it in to charge and it said it was charging. The battery ended up dying and the phone shut off. Would this be a defect? Is there a way to fix it? I'm on 4.0.1.

If you're on 4g and or have the screen brightness medium to high, playing a demanding (yes, its demanding since it isn't hardware accelerated) game can still gradually decrease battery power even plugged in! Terrible isn't it?

I think either USB port doesn't supply an adequate amount of voltage for a phone with this size amoled display (I don't know if I believe this to be the case since note users haven't expressed this issue), or software is limiting how much voltage is coming through to the battery.

reKon

Banned
You need the Franco app. Its on the market, but not free. Otherwise, your ROM needs to have the performance setting option baked into settings.

So then I guess that was available in gummynex buy not aokp milestone 2, correct? (The performance settings)

LTE version is LTE/CDMA, other version is HSPA+ pentaband

Thanks, I'm guessing the HSPA+ pentaband version isn't available in the US yet. Is there any word on when T-Mobile will be getting this? I lost my phone yesterday and I really want the gnex, I just don't want to go on Verizon.

Husker86

Thanks, I'm guessing the HSPA+ pentaband version isn't available in the US yet. Is there any word on when T-Mobile will be getting this? I lost my phone yesterday and I really want the gnex, I just don't want to go on Verizon.

I'm not too up to speed on the GSM version but I don't think there are any solid announcements about its fate in the US. I think a few people in this thread had luck ordering internationally so if you can't wait you can go that route. Just not sure how warranty works with international orders.

I bet by now there are US based sellers that have them too. Or were you looking to get it on contract?

mingus

Having an issue signing in to gchat. I've tried restarted my phone, restarting wifi, force closed the app, but nothing works so far. It just gets stuck on the "signing in" animation.

I'm not too up to speed on the GSM version but I don't think there are any solid announcements about its fate in the US. I think a few people in this thread had luck ordering internationally so if you can't wait you can go that route. Just not sure how warranty works with international orders.

I bet by now there are US based sellers that have them too. Or were you looking to get it on contract?

That sucks, I'm not gonna wait months though. I'm gonna get the international one if I can find one.

Okay just as I predicted, I accidentally downloaded spam from a notification for a batt app and low and behold, an unauthorized charge on my checking account appears (2 actually). Shoulda never downloaded my banking app.

Ephemeris

Starting to lose hope of this thing showing up on Tmobile any time soon. Had a glimmer when I heard Sprint was getting it...

rozay

Banned
I just can't stomach buying one of these without the ability to easily exchange it/have proper warranty. Seems like samsung still makes screens where the greys turn purple at lowest brightness. I sent my nexus one with an amazing screen in for repair and every single unit I got after that had a screen that suffered from that problem. Never again. If it means waiting until april/may for best buy to get them in, so be it.
RafU8.jpg

Ephemeris

Meh. Mine comes tomorrow. It's all about the same. I'll be using it on Tmobile.

It's weird. I just bought my car straight cash, but for some reason I just can't pay $500+ for a phone. :lol

Plus a warranty would be good too. My G2 started bugging out about 4 months back and had it swapped out with a small ($20) fee.

SimleuqiR

I just can't stomach buying one of these without the ability to easily exchange it/have proper warranty. Seems like samsung still makes screens where the greys turn purple at lowest brightness. I sent my nexus one with an amazing screen in for repair and every single unit I got after that had a screen that suffered from that problem. Never again. If it means waiting until april/may for best buy to get them in, so be it.
http://i.imgur.com/RafU8.jpg

Interesting. Just checked mine, at lowest brightness gray looks gray.

I suffered some of these random reboots over the weekend:

http://www.google.co.uk/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=4a51e070d7b1f856&hl=en

dankir

So question about battery life. I'm upgrading from an iPhone 3G to the Galaxy Nexus. I would get about 3 days standby on my 3G( brightness down ) with pretty moderate use.

Galaxy Nexus I'd expect about 1 day based on it's specs. I'm very happy to hear that I can replace the battery so I'm looking at the official Samsung one or a 3rd party.

Will 2100 mAh make all that much difference vs the current battery?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SAMSUNG...495284?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3a6e3b7bf4

Should I be weary of this much larger 3rd party battery?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3600mAh...234182?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3cc01e1306

I'll have it with Rogers so I should be able to use this 3600 mAh battery no?

Salaadin

Really hope these random reboots are corrected in 4.0.3.

One thing I notice with my random reboots is that they always occur either directly before or during an alarm. Sometimes it wakes me up in the morning and I cant turn the alarm off because the phone is locked up and about to reboot.

dankir

I wouldn't buy that just on the hideousness alone.

I have the 2100 battery. I unplug at 8AM and usually have about 20-30% at Midnight. That's with a normal day's use where I'm not concerned about saving battery.

Ah so you'd have to use that other case because the battery is so much thicker?

Piano

Banned
I'm considering making the jump to GummyNex and have a few questions...

What's the best kernel to use with the rom?
Is the battery life while actually using the phone improved at all? Maybe through undervolting or something? My main concern is half an hour of GAF browsing draining 15% or more of my charge.

Keyouta

Again with the battery complaints. The phone's on stock 4.0.1, GSM model, and the battery, after 9.5 hours, dropped to 4%, with the screen and Android OS being the top culprits. The screen on time is reported by the phone as 1 hour and 40 minutes. Wifi was turned off all day, along with no bluetooth or gps. Auto brightness.

Would this be normal, or abnormal? Is there a specific benchmark to compare to? I've heard of others getting many more hours than I've gotten and even up to and over a day.

Again with the battery complaints. The phone's on stock 4.0.1, GSM model, and the battery, after 9.5 hours, dropped to 4%, with the screen and Android OS being the top culprits. The screen on time is reported by the phone as 1 hour and 40 minutes. Wifi was turned off all day, along with no bluetooth or gps. Auto brightness.

Would this be normal, or abnormal? Is there a specific benchmark to compare to? I've heard of others getting many more hours than I've gotten and even up to and over a day.

That's terrible. You should be getting at least 3 and a half hours screen on time. I generally get around 4hrs but that's including my nighttime use which is 0% brightness and airplane mode (With wifi on) enabled.

Husker86

Were you no where that you could be on WiFi? The difference between being connected to WiFi vs. mobile network for data is absolutely huge. Even so, that does seem pretty low. I'd get higher on LTE, but I'm on a custom ROM; however my girlfriend has a stock LTE one and it gets better than that (she does use WiFi in some places though).

Keyouta

To specify, the wifi was turned off since I was at school, and the network is password protected. I unplugged the phone at 7am. By 4 o'clock it was down to 12%, and 4:30 it was 6/7%. School for the day ended at 4 so I got more use out of it at the time.

Still very disappointed by the battery, as I'm sure it's abnormal, and I'm currently trying to find solutions.

Husker86

To specify, the wifi was turned off since I was at school, and the network is password protected. I unplugged the phone at 7am. By 4 o'clock it was down to 12%, and 4:30 it was 6/7%. School for the day ended at 4 so I got more use out of it at the time.

Still very disappointed by the battery, as I'm sure it's abnormal, and I'm currently trying to find solutions.

It's abnormal, however I wouldn't call it defective. One thing I've noticed is that Android phones' battery life can vary greatly even when talking about the same models/usage patterns.

reKon

Banned

It's time for you to join the rooting side and watch your battery life improve. It could be the case that your battery just sucks, but I can definitely tell you that a good rom + kernel will leave you pleased.

Speaking of roms and kernel, I've been switched over from gummynex and I'm using AOKP Milestone 2 (rom) with Franco #12 (kernel). It's been just as smooth as Gummynex and I have had no issues at all. I have gotten 26 hours with moderate usuage with 5% remaining on the battery (so that's 2 days of usage for me from me being awake and actually using it). If I was going to bed right now and turned off the screen (leaving 3g/wifi on as I usually do), It would last just til morning and that would be another 8 hours of stand by. If wasn't to use my phone at all from being charged, it will last over 90 hours easily).
In my 26 hour usage, that included 2 hours and 20 mins of on screen time. I watched an episode of Archer and spent close to 40 mins on youtube. I remember streaming some music for a bit, browsing a little, and playing a game. If I was to go heavy for a day, the phone would easily be able to make it with some leftover. This all with the stock battery. I have google locational services and gps turned off. I'm not using the facebook app anymore, just facebook messenger. I'm on 3G only since I don't get 4G at school and I set wifi to turn off when the phone is asleep unless plugged into a charger. I'm also using autobrightness, which is actually working correctly now unlike it did with gummynex where the screen was too dim.

Therefore, battery life usage seems almost identical to when I was using gummynex, but I think the performance is better due to less bugs and operating smoothly.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm considering making the jump to GummyNex and have a few questions...

What's the best kernel to use with the rom?
Is the battery life while actually using the phone improved at all? Maybe through undervolting or something? My main concern is half an hour of GAF browsing draining 15% or more of my charge.

Franco #12

Top Bottom