• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

ShdwDrake

Banned
Zombie James said:
ThDd9.jpg

Ugh. PenTile is the worst thing ever.

Txt looks better on the pentile.

zedge said:
White is white on my GS2, but its a Super Amoled Plus.

White was white on my Nexus S and it was Pentile. First world problems eh?

bytesized said:
I really love the idea of watching movies on the nexus, is big enough I can maybe skip on buying an ipad

And when in the presence of an HDTV you can play movies back on the big screen using a micro USB to HDMI cable. Awesome eh? I do hope the next version of Android includes DNLA. I want to stream wirelessly. No cables please.

kehs

Banned
OriginalThinking said:

And when in the presence of an HDTV you can play movies back on the big screen using a micro USB to HDMI cable. Awesome eh? I do hope the next version of Android includes DNLA. I want to stream wirelessly. No cables please.

If you get a wifi direct tv you could probably do it without DNLA.

*homerdrool*

rabhw

Damn, was gonna get my uncle in the UK to pre-order GN for me from Amazon. But $875 dollars is a biiiiiiiiiit too steep for me. I guess I'll wait until Canada gets it :(

OriginalThinking said:

Yeah, I'm pretty excited, although I am still not sure if I should go for the GS2 or the nexus. I will decide right at the store when the nexus comes out.

It's going to be crazy going from this
samsung-p310-hands-on-040-sm.jpg
(super cool phone that has lasted me more than 4 years!)
to one of these smartphones :)

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
bytesized said:
Is that how the nexus will display whites? Is it the same with all amoled screens? :(

it's how it will look if your eyes are microscopes and you only want to see 1% of the screen at a time

bytesized said:
Yeah, I'm pretty excited, although I am still not sure if I should go for the GS2 or the nexus. I will decide right at the store when the nexus comes out.
Always get the Nexus. It's the only way to guarantee you'll get timely updates.

Banana Kid said:
Always get the Nexus. It's the only way to guarantee you'll get timely updates.

Yeah, but GS2 is supposedly getting ICS too very soon. What other updates could be of importance if I go GS2?

I mean, has it happened before that important updates only came to nexus phones?

Cipherr

OriginalThinking said:
Chances are the GS2 won't see Jellybean. You know for certain the Galaxy Nexus will.

ICS has already been announced for the GS2 in January. It will certainly get it next year. Not really a case of if, more of a case of how much after January atm.

JB is a year or more away. I wouldnt even guess on that right now.

But then, aside from complete OS updates, does the nexus get more updates to improve, solve bugs and that kind of stuff? Cannot you do that with every android phone?

Cipherr said:
ICS has already been announced for the GS2 in January. It will certainly get it next year. Not really a case of if, more of a case of how much after January atm.

JB is a year or more away. I wouldnt even guess on that right now.

Nobody knows when we'll be seeing JB. Google have said that they will likely slow the pace of Android releases, but I'd expect there will be Jellybean news and demo's at Google i/o in May. You can count on it.

bytesized said:
But then, aside from complete OS updates, does the nexus get more updates to improve, solve bugs and that kind of stuff? Cannot you do that with every android phone?

Some bugs will be fixed by manufacturers own updates but some of these bugs tend to come around from their own customisations. The major Android bugs tend to be fixed by updates to Android itself and that's where a Nexus device comes in. For me a Nexus is a no-brainer. I took a GS2 on contract with the express purpose of selling it to buy a Nexus. That's how highly I rate Nexus devices.

kehs

Banned
bytesized said:

Nexus devices get updates all the time for minor stuff.

As new stuff gets added to AOSP (sometimes small, sometimes not) Google pushes out updates randomly. They usually do it at the same time they update their bloatware (gmail/maps/market/music/books/etc).

Copernicus said:
Nexus devices get updates all the time for minor stuff.

As new stuff gets added to AOSP (sometimes small, sometimes not) Google pushes out updates randomly. They usually do it at the same time they update their bloatware (gmail/maps/market/music/books/etc).

lol

Copernicus said:
Hey man, I've been running my phone without google apps they shove down your throat and it's lasted 46 hours and still had 15% left, on 3G!

:-/ You should just try switching your internet off completely. I did that for a day in Germany. My battery lasted from about 9 in the morning til midnight and only lost 10%. I reckon that in those circumstances and If I purely stuck to the occasional text and minimal calling I could get a week out of it.

kehs

Banned
OriginalThinking said:
:-/ You should just try switching your internet off completely. I did that for a day in Germany. My battery lasted from about 9 in the morning til midnight and only lost 10%. I reckon that in those circumstances and If I purely stuck to the occasional text and minimal calling I could get a week out of it.

Yeah, the phone's just sitting around really, I think I took one call with it. I'm gonna toss it on 2g only and see how long it can last.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
See? Android IS the best for webbrowsing.

Wait, WHAAT?!?! He's pressing the multitasking button and its showing both tabs he has open.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've just been informed that I'm an idiot. I think whats really going on is that he just clicked out of the browser on the tab switching screen.

Top Bottom