• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Zeppu

My excitement for this phone has died drastically.

Can someone please convince me why I want this phone again? The Hero is slowly, but surly dying on me and I don't think I can afford to wait for the S3 :(

Can someone please convince me why I want this phone again? The Hero is slowly, but surly dying on me and I don't think I can afford to wait for the S3 :(

I couldn't wait and got my GS2 in July but was getting nervous as the October announcement of the Nexus approached.

All I can say is that I'm glad I didn't wait.

Adamm

Cause its awesome! :D

I dont understand why people no longer wwant this phone.
The volume bug? No SD Card slot? Lack of flash?

Zeppu

Volume bug and underwhelming benchmark results mostly. I'm also a bit scared about battery life.

This should've been a superphone but it's looking like it's a mehphone with a gorgeous screen and the only aesthetically pleasing Android phone out there.

gcubed

Volume bug and underwhelming benchmark results mostly. I'm also a bit scared about battery life.

This should've been a superphone but it's looking like it's a mehphone with a gorgeous screen and the only aesthetically pleasing Android phone out there.

you live in the US? the volume bug is a non-event.

Adamm

I can only talk from personal experience. But I cant recreate the volume bug shown in the video even after trying with different sim cards & phones.

Battery life is better than I was expecting as easily lasts a day with my usage, even with full screen brightness (which used about 60% of the battery life itself).
But I suppose thatll depend on how much you use your phone.

and in terms of benchmarks scores all I can say is its the fastest android phone ive ever used & even the most GPU/processer heavy games run silky smooth.
Sure there will be faster out in a few months, but isnt that always the case?

It's not more powerful than the galaxy S II if that is what you're concerned about.

It is a powerful device, though.. and has a gorgeous display.

Quadrant means nothing... it may have issues with ice cream sandwich and need to be updated. It's far too early to be crying about performance on a new phone with a new version of Android.

Zeppu

you live in the US? the volume bug is a non-event.

Nope, Malta. Knowing me I'll have it for sure. My tab 10.1 even has those newton rings. I'm fairly unlucky with this sort of shit.

I can only talk from personal experience. But I cant recreate the volume bug shown in the video even after trying with different sim cards & phones.

Battery life is better than I was expecting as easily lasts a day with my usage, even with full screen brightness (which used about 60% of the battery life itself).
But I suppose thatll depend on how much you use your phone.

and in terms of benchmarks scores all I can say is its the fastest android phone ive ever used & even the most GPU/processer heavy games run silky smooth.
Sure there will be faster out in a few months, but isnt that always the case?

Yup, that's true, but then again we also have something faster which has been out months. I didn't expect it to blow everything out of the water but at least it should be as good as the SII considering it's always at 720 (which is the resolution used for the benchmarks anyway).

Quadrant means nothing... it may have issues with ice cream sandwich and need to be updated. It's far too early to be crying about performance on a new phone with a new version of Android.

Fair enough. Any benchmarks for the S2 with ICS roms running around yet?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Handtec is halting all shipments b/c of the volume bug:

Some units have already been shipped however we understand that some customers would still like to have their units shipped with this potential issue if so – please email support@handtec.co.uk with your order number. Please note by doing this P&P will need to covered both ways (by customer) in the event of returns regarding the volume issue. If customers would like to wait until Samsung resolves the issue then you do not need to do anything.

Doesn't matter to me living in the US, but it's important to know

Zeppu

To top it all off, i was planning on switching from my current shitty provider on 1800 to Vodafone which is on 900 as soon as I would've gotten my new phone.

gcubed

To top it all off, i was planning on switching from my current shitty provider on 1800 to Vodafone which is on 900 as soon as I would've gotten my new phone.

well yeah, i would wait out the testing of it

edit... also a recall would have you go directly to the manufacturer and not where you bought the phone from, so i could even skirt the issue if i needed it. I'm pathetic

I decided to go ahead and cancel my expansys-usa order to see how all of this shakes out.

900Mhz is all we *know* about right now.. who knows what else might be wrong with it if they shipped it with that kind of a problem..

I'll be waiting on reports from you guys in the US who have had their units shipped already.

gcubed

I decided to go ahead and cancel my expansys-usa order to see how all of this shakes out.

900Mhz is all we *know* about right now.. who knows what else might be wrong with it if they shipped it with that kind of a problem..

I'll be waiting on reports from you guys in the US who have had their units shipped already.

i'll find out quickly if it affects me because i always get shit on for bugs. The fact that no USA review place has noticed any issues makes me think we wont see it here. I mean they have to have phones all over the place while testing. That coupled with no 900mhz use here (and the fact that i never leave 3G areas) won't likely affect me.

i'll find out quickly if it affects me because i always get shit on for bugs. The fact that no USA review place has noticed any issues makes me think we wont see it here. I mean they have to have phones all over the place while testing. That coupled with no 900mhz use here (and the fact that i never leave 3G areas) won't likely affect me.

yeah, I'm thinking it will be fine in the US.. but I still want to see how samsung handles it and I want to know if expansys is still going to ship/sell.. so i'll wait until it is in stock on their site at the least..

I'd have ordered from handtec if I could have used my amex card, but they (Amex) don't do currency conversions.. so it wasn't an option.

Sky Chief

I doubt that. I have the sneaking suspicion that the Galaxy Nexus was always going to be released in late November and that Samsung/Google collaborated with the fake leaks and events to keep us enthralled in the Nexus Galaxy Prime saga instead of just getting an iPhone. Like Jtwo.

I have been saying that all along

def sim

From Handtec and a little over $690. I have passed all security checks and have decided to cancel my cancellation. I'm probably going to get it sometime this week, hopefully by tomorrow since I just sent them the go ahead regarding this:

Handtec said:
Some units have already been shipped however we understand that some customers would still like to have their units shipped with this potential issue if so – please email support@handtec.co.uk with your order number. Please note by doing this P&P will need to covered both ways (by customer) in the event of returns regarding the volume issue. If customers would like to wait until Samsung resolves the issue then you do not need to do anything.

ATT HSPA+ here as well

gcubed

From Handtec and a little over $690. I have passed all security checks and have decided to cancel my cancellation. I'm probably going to get it sometime this week, hopefully by tomorrow since I just sent them the go ahead regarding this:

ATT HSPA+ here as well

if you haven't received a shipment notice yet, most likely Friday

def sim

if you haven't received a shipment notice yet, most likely Friday

I thought so as well but they replied suuuuper quick with this:

Handtec said:
Thanks for your email.

This has now been noted and your order will be sent shortly, please let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

So maybe tomorrow since their blog says they're working through the night getting orders out.

gcubed

I thought so as well but they replied suuuuper quick with this:

So maybe tomorrow since their blog says they're working through the night getting orders out.

you live in the US? You have inevitable thanksgiving delays. Such a shitty week for a launch

SimleuqiR

Yeah someone's head is on the block right now.

This is probably the best "face-palm" image to describe this whole debacle...

primefacepalm.png

Someone needs to update the OP with this image.

alternade

ATT HSPA+ here as well
$690? When I do the conversation alone it comes to about $798 from £509.99.

You know, after thinking about it, since the Galaxy Nexus runs so good with hardware worse than the S2, what does that say about ICS on S2? Shouldn't that be even better? Maybe I should just get an S2....

Top Bottom