• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge |OT| I just had six, and it felt so good

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting one of these in June, at least I hope, and I'm trying to find a good program that plays/organizes music of various formats (mp3/flac/etc) that I can use to later transfer to my phone. I know you can do this with various programs like Winamp or Spotify, but I was just wondering what everyone else uses. Just something simple and quality. I like iTunes' UI for example but don't really care for it in other ways.

I think I'm gonna order an S6 tonight for my wife. She's been using a windows phone for the last two months but she can't stand the UI flow or the fact that she doesn't have access to many of the apps she wants to use.

And I really don't want her going back to her old ass S3.

Hopefully she'll like it.

SliChillax

I'm getting one of these in June, at least I hope, and I'm trying to find a good program that plays/organizes music of various formats (mp3/flac/etc) that I can use to later transfer to my phone. I know you can do this with various programs like Winamp or Spotify, but I was just wondering what everyone else uses. Just something simple and quality. I like iTunes' UI for example but don't really care for it in other ways.

I use Foobar, it can also convert flac's to mp3.

Wreav

Banned
Looks like 5.1.1 is rolling out for the T-Mo Edge already. This bodes very well, shocked they're pushing it out so fast. Has guest mode, too.

20150428_135102.jpg

20150428_135109.jpg

MercuryLS

Banned
How did you live with 1% draining every few minutes in standby?! I haven't disabled any of the Google stuff, and yet I've never seen the phone drain that quickly when not in use. (Though I did disable a bunch of other crap.) I mean, I'm currently 24% drained over the course of 7h 45m, and near an hour of that being screen on time.

It was alarming, I'd never seen standby drain that bad ever either. It's under control now.

I use Foobar, it can also convert flac's to mp3.

I like Foobar well enough, I may look into that. If I'm using my phone as my portable mp3 player, would it be simpler to only get mp3 files? I thought I read S6 played flac but I guess not. I know it's not really a big hassle to convert, but I'd rather keep it as simple as possible.

nib95

Banned
Rang Vodafone (UK) earlier today to chase up my orders. Turns out there's a 2-4 week back order in awaiting new stock...smh.

I had severe standby battery draining, I checked online for some fixes. I disabled good now cards and location/syncing and it's helped tremendously. I don't really use Google now and I'm ok with not having location and syncing on all the time. Until Samsung releases an update to solve some of the battery draining issues, this is the best we can do. Before I was losing like 1% every few mins on standby, now I've gone about 15mins and it's still at 100%.

There doesn't really seem to be a fix for the memory leak issue though, it's quite annoying and I hope it's patched quickly.

Edit: Almost an hour on standby and I only lost 1%. There we go, that seems right.

Yeah. The memory leak sucks. Best you can do for now is disable live wallpapers, and in developer options set all the animations to 0x to disable them. (Animations are the source of the memory leak)

For the location/sync issues, what did you turn off? Google Now is easy enough to turn off the cards, but for Location did you turn it off entirely? Location using what? GPS/Wifi/Mobile?

MercuryLS

Banned
Yeah. The memory leak sucks. Best you can do for now is disable live wallpapers, and in developer options set all the animations to 0x to disable them. (Animations are the source of the memory leak)

For the location/sync issues, what did you turn off? Google Now is easy enough to turn off the cards, but for Location did you turn it off entirely? Location using what? GPS/Wifi/Mobile?

I just turned them off from the drop down notification shade, there's a bunch of quick toggles so I added background sync and location to it and just turn them off when I don't need them. Thanks for the tip on the anumations, I turned them all off so hopefully that helps until Samsung patches the mem leak.

How do you disable live wallpapers?

SliChillax

I like Foobar well enough, I may look into that. If I'm using my phone as my portable mp3 player, would it be simpler to only get mp3 files? I thought I read S6 played flac but I guess not. I know it's not really a big hassle to convert, but I'd rather keep it as simple as possible.

Wait the S6 doesn't read flac? Are you sure? I thought all Androids did, my M8 does.

Zalusithix

Wait the S6 doesn't read flac? Are you sure? I thought all Androids did, my M8 does.

I haven't bothered to check whether it does or not, but I don't see that as mattering much. Unless you're using high end headphones in a quiet area, you'd just be wasting space with FLAC. Well encoded MP3/M4As are good enough for any typical portable listening.

SliChillax

I haven't bothered to check whether it does or not, but I don't see that as mattering much. Unless you're using high end headphones in a quiet area, you'd just be wasting space with FLAC. Well encoded MP3/M4As are good enough for any typical portable listening.

The S6 has a Wolfson DAC which makes it sound much better than any other Android handset and if you're using high end earphones/headphones then why not? The phone has enough space for flac files this way you don't have to go through the hassle of converting to mp3.

Zalusithix

The S6 has a Wolfson DAC which makes it sound much better than any other Android handset and if you're using high end earphones/headphones then why not? The phone has enough space for flac files this way you don't have to go through the hassle of converting to mp3.

The people that have high enough quality full sized headphones and are able to reliably hear the difference between the two in a double blind test are already the minority. Those that that can do so with portable headphones in a commute are a minority of that minority, if not an outright statistical anomaly. Why waste space where you don't have to?

As for hassle aspect. Seriously, there is pretty much no hassle these days. Conversion is a matter of a few clicks and is stupidly fast. I just converted an album from FLAC to 320CBR MP3 in all of 15 seconds. You'll likely spend more time copying over the larger FLAC files than you will simply converting directly to the phone's storage.

Mascot

Rang Vodafone (UK) earlier today to chase up my orders. Turns out there's a 2-4 week back order in awaiting new stock...smh.

Take comfort in that fact - the best of anything will always prove popular. Good things come to he who waits.

nib95

Banned
Take comfort in that fact - the best of anything will always prove popular. Good things come to he who waits.

Indeed. Phone must be selling very well either way.

We're getting to a point now where mobile releases have very little between them. They're essentially already pocket rockets that do everything under the sun. If they just improve night photography and battery life with the next Galaxy device, I'm not really sure what else people would even really need. I'll be honest, I'm quite content with my S5 (though Lollipop has messed it up somewhat). The S6 upgrade is basically a luxury impulse buy, and because my contracts are 12 month one's, which just happen to coincide with each new release.

I've had Samsungs since the S2. I went to look at the edge on release day - don't know why, but I just wasn't taken with it.

It's not that much of a massive upgrade is it? Plus no SD card slot. I couldn't really justify parting with £729 (I don't do contracts anymore, I prefer to just buy them outright rather than be locked in for 18/24 months) - saying that, I probably still would have bought one, because I was in that, 'I WANT THE NEW THING!' frame of mind. But the guy said the store had only been allocated 3 units and they'd all gone.

I really wanted a change from my S5 - so as an interim phone until the S6 is cheaper or something really cool comes out, I got a Sony Z3 for £479. Pretty much the exact same specs as the Galaxy S5 only with more RAM, better camera and minus the finger print scanner and the heart rate sensor (which I never used once the novelty wore off).

It's so much better than the Samsungs! Felt a bit wrong buying last year's phone - But don't regret it one bit! I'm actually more excited for the Z4 than anything else at the moment.

Although Sony are shit at advertising and hype so will probably cock it up, meaning I'll be back for the S7 or whatever!

The camera on the S6 is actually much better than the Z3 IMO and the screen blows the Z3 screen away. The biggest edge the Z3 has is battery life + I think the build looks better aesthetically.

Mascot

Indeed. Phone must be selling very well either way.

We're getting to a point now where mobile releases have very little between them. They're essentially already pocket rockets that do everything under the sun. If they just improve night photography and battery life with the next Galaxy device, I'm not really sure what else people would even really need.

Low-light shots on the S6 are very impressive indeed. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Ixian

I like the official clear cases from Samsung:
Thanks for this recommendation! Saw it in the Event thread and mine just came in yesterday; feels much better than the free case I got from Verizon. I normally go caseless but the camera protrusion... T_T

reKon

Banned

A lot of phones have this DAC I thought

The camera on the S6 is actually much better than the Z3 IMO and the screen blows the Z3 screen away. The biggest edge the Z3 has is battery life + I think the build looks better aesthetically.

I like the design of the Z3 better - even though it seems to be almost the same as their last few phones. Plus, having a battery that actually lasts is amazing. I can get 18 - 24 hours out of it with quite heavy use.
When you're actively using it, the battery looks like it's going down fast. But when it's in your pocket the battery meter doesn't budge at all. Even with loads of stuff auto updating.

Wreav

Banned
Nothing you do will help you for screen-on drain, in my experience. Plenty of ways to improve your standby, though.

As for hassle aspect. Seriously, there is pretty much no hassle these days. Conversion is a matter of a few clicks and is stupidly fast. I just converted an album from FLAC to 320CBR MP3 in all of 15 seconds. You'll likely spend more time copying over the larger FLAC files than you will simply converting directly to the phone's storage.

Yeah, not a big deal or anything. Just trying to learn some facts.

void666

Banned
Every year i buy the new galaxy S. I've been doing this since S2.
I was happy with my S5. Told everone this year would be different. S6 wasn't worth it.

Now i'm holding the S6 in my hand. I'm helpless...

My intention was to buy the edge version. I was in love when i saw the pictures. But with it actually in my hand, i didn't like it. The screen looks smaller because of the edges. And it was way more expensive than the regular one.

So i went with the standard S6. Got the gold variant. It looks like something between silver and gold actually. It looks like it's made of metal. I like it.

A lot of phones have this DAC I thought
not really.

Every year i buy the new galaxy S. I've been doing this since S2.
I was happy with my S5. Told everone this year would be different. S6 wasn't worth it.

Now i'm holding the S6 in my hand. I'm helpless...

My intention was to buy the edge version. I was in love when i saw the pictures. But with it actually in my hand, i didn't like it. The screen looks smaller because of the edges. And it was way more expensive than the regular one.

So i went with the standard S6. Got the gold variant. It looks like something between silver and gold actually. It looks like it's made of metal. I like it.

should have gotten the edge.

Ensirius

I got a question for S6 owners (edge or otherwise).
Lolipop update on my Z3 kind of put me off on the phone, and I am thinking on switching to the S6.

Would this be a good switch?

Zalusithix

That's my issue with the Edge. I tried it out at the store and holy shit, the glare. There's glare on one, if not both, sides, and it's distracting and blocking text or other elements.

Once you begin actually using it, you get used to tuning out the typical levels of glare. In practice it's also rare for it to get to the point where it actually completely blocks text or anything else as most content is inset from the edges. It's certainly not ideal, but that's the price paid for the style.

So I wound up going with the edge. Battery seemed to drain really quickly at first, did a factory reset and it seems to be a bit better, first 10% goes by really fast though. I have noticed that the phone seems to get pretty warm at times, even when doing stuff that isn't crazy taxing. Has anyone else seen this; is it common? Wondering if I should exchange it or not.

Zalusithix

So I wound up going with the edge. Battery seemed to drain really quickly at first, did a factory reset and it seems to be a bit better, first 10% goes by really fast though. I have noticed that the phone seems to get pretty warm at times, even when doing stuff that isn't crazy taxing. Has anyone else seen this; is it common? Wondering if I should exchange it or not.

Battery drain aside which is hard to quantify without knowing exactly what is running on the phone, the phone will get warm. You've got a lot of power under the hood there.

f0rk

Upgrading from a Nexus 4 was thinking I was going to get a S6, then saw the Nexus 6. Stock android without having to mess around with ROMs or anything is quite appealing, plus it's £100+ cheaper.

DieH@rd

Banned
Upgrading from a Nexus 4 was thinking I was going to get a S6, then saw the Nexus 6. Stock android without having to mess around with ROMs or anything is quite appealing, plus it's £100+ cheaper.

If you want good big near-stock phone for cheap, go for 1+1.

kharma45

If you want good big near-stock phone for cheap, go for 1+1.

I wouldn't. Shit company and whilst the hardware looks good on paper, it's had numerous issues. The latest being a large number of users having issues with the screen and ghost touches.

3phemeral

Finally had a chance to hold one of these at Best Buy and it was thinner than I thought it would be. Also, regardless of whether or not the edges have any worthwhile software functionality, it just felt really nice to swipe left and right without feeling a bezel. Glare didn't bother me much and I suspect it wouldn't be too much of an issue outside of that brightly lit store environment. The screen though, the screen is godly. Performance was smooth and at times, I sometimes felt like I was swiping pieces of paper off the screen. (I have a 2013 Moto X so screen resolution would be a huge upgrade).

f0rk

I wouldn't. Shit company and whilst the hardware looks good on paper, it's had numerous issues. The latest being a large number of users having issues with the screen and ghost touches.

Yeah I've heard enough to not want to risk it. I've looked at some more reviews and probably back on the S6 now. I mostly use my Nexus 4 1 handed and I'm not sure I want the bigger screen, the better quality of the S6 seems a bit more valuable.

void666

Banned
should have gotten the edge.

But... but i didn't like the edge....

Also it was almost $300 more. I live in a god forsaken country where we pay 2 or 3 times more for everything (but pc games).

Anyway, touchwiz is better but i still don't like it. I'm using nova launcher. Built a minimalistic home screen. That's something i love about having a new cell phone. Customize everything again.

And google voice is quite handy. I've never used voice commands before because i think it's looks silly. But i can't deny it's usefull sometimes.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Stopped at a Best Buy and saw a new color... it was like a mirror finish. I loved it.

But I can't find it online. Is it the "platinum gold" color? Is there another, different, regular gold? Platinum Gold looked amazing.

BFIB

Stopped at a Best Buy and saw a new color... it was like a mirror finish. I loved it.

But I can't find it online. Is it the "platinum gold" color? Is there another, different, regular gold? Platinum Gold looked amazing.

Yep, thats the gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom