• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's Excuse for Paper Mario's Score

Damage control in full force I see. Those quotes are pretty explicitly outlining what the criteria for a good score is at GI. It's kind of hard to misunderstand the quote.

For some reason Andy's involvement in the thread made me more angry than before. The fact that it was nothing more than a sleight of hand by saying that it's all a misunderstanding is actually insulting. I didn't even care about this topic before, since I just shook my head in disgust and moved on. Now that they are saying it's just a misunderstanding, though, I would like to see him try to explain those quotes. It's clear to anyone what was meant by the original comments.

It's like saying "I think you're kind of stupid." and then saying "ohhhh, see you misunderstood me, I just meant that I got a higher score than you on that last test." Things don't work that way. Especially when we have this sort of thing archived and can quote it word for word.

Razoric

Banned
I'd like to know why he said it in the first place. What did he expect the reaction to be? Did he really just talk out of his ass and didn't mean a word of it? Just further solidifies that game reviews mean shit... they can be a useful guide at times I suppose but forums like GAF are far more useful.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Okay, it was bad enough when it was just Jeremy, but Andy's comments cannot possibly coexist without there being lies, distortions and/or spin everywhere.

Hemmdog aka Andy said:
Ok look...I need to clear something up. First off, I'll fess up a little. I'm Andy McNamara, EIC of GI (I'm screwing up my anonymous status here, so bear with me, and yes, I know you don't give a shit who I am). Jeremy, who wrote the post that you so openly quote, is extremely misunderstood in this whole matter.
There's no problem with our reading comprehension. If there's something wrong with what we've derived from his statements, it's because he wrote it improperly, not because we don't understand the English language.

We do not, and I will repeat, we do not review games based on what people will think of the title. I called him on it this morning, and he was upset that the whole thing is not being understood the way he had intended it to be. The internet, as we all know, is full of trappings and misunderstandings.
And so are, apparently, magazine reviews, which leads back to this implication that none of us know how to properly read what GI's writers write.

Maybe it's being misunderstood from his end, but it seems like most people with some sense of journalistic integrity will agree that the motives provided for reviewing the game as it was reviewed are seriously flawed and counterproductive.

I have not played the game in its entirety. I personally believe the game to be better than the 6.75 that they scored it. But when I challenged them on it over and over they stuck to their guns (and I gave them a crapload of grief on their reviews). I admire them for that. They went against the grain, and they believe and stand by the scores they gave.
Jeremy really hasn't stuck to his review considering he's had to add comments on a message board that weren't found within the original text in order to explain why the score is what it is.

What are we to do? Force people to change their scores? Change the scores because we know that people will be pissed? I think you already know the answer to that question, as we let the review fly. We are not changing reviews to please the public. If that was the case, we would have given this an eight and been done with it.
By your very own reasoning the score was changed to fit the tastes of a certain undefined group of gamers, thereby pleasing them with the aim of your editorial content. No, you're not changing the score to please the public, but you are apparently changing the score to please the stereotypical GI reader.

I know Jeremy stated in his post that he felt he was considering the game buying public when he was writing his review, but what he was trying to convey was that he felt that our reviewer's point-of-view is not unlike others in the gaming public, and that by making their views known, he was serving gamers (which IS something we are trying to do). Not everyone loves this type of game - I think our review is proof of that.
For starters, I think it's pretty clear that Jeremy did not get his point of view across, if only because he thought it necessary to write a damning post on a message board explaining his blatantly questionable intentions. "Not everyone loves this type of game" From what I gather the review does not state this. It doesn't state that there is in fact an audience that will love it. Apparently, going by comments from Jeremy and yourself, there is an undefined and unconfirmed set of gaming values that your reviews aim to grade upon. I'd be real curious as to how that benefits anyone but the small number that actually do fit into this mysterious set of gamers.

Rip on Game Informer all you like, but I won't force someone to change a review. Yes, I will question and challenge them on what they write, but in the end an opinion is just that - an opinion. Who am I, or anyone else, to question anyone's view? The world needs more media that will pick a stance and stand by it in my personal opinion.
Perhaps you should be questioning why they're writing what they are writing in addition to what they're writing.

Both of them (Jeremy and Lisa) are harcore gamers, and both loved Superstar Saga. They both didn't like The Thousand Year Door. So be it.
According to Jeremy, the score for Paper Mario 2 was lowered because, and I quote, "it's a very kiddie game - it's target audience is clearly young gamers - I would say 10 and under. For that reason, we had to score it low." Please feel free to explain how Superstar Saga and The Thousand Year Door somehow have different target audiences and why the former didn't have to be scored low as well.

At the very least GI is being inconsistent. At most it has no integrity. Take your pick.

I respect the Gaming Age forums crowd as the hardest of the hardcore, and love to read these boards, but at times I think things get a little out of hand.
I don't think it's uncalled for to call out journalists on their highly questionable motivation and intent in admittedly lowering a game's score in order to fit in with an undefined and unconfirmed set of gaming values.

I see all kinds of tastes that find their way here, and I think people are a little quick to call others wrong or stupid for a differing opinion. It's a video game. God knows I love them. And I love the ones I like even more, which is one of the reasons I visit these boards - to read what people who are passionate about games like myself have to say about games.

Video games are truly the greatest entertainment medium in the world. And I, like you, love to argue over right and wrong, but at some point you just have to let things go as a point you simply can't agree on.
This has nothing to do with the quality of the game. We've been over this before. This debate is about the purpose of a review and what should and should not be done. Don't try and diminish the criticism of GI's journalistic integrity by attaching it to a supposed anger over a low score. The issue is not the score, and that's been made clear by most everyone that's here and engaging in serious discussion.

I anxiously await more discussion on this.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
hey, gamers.com was a learning experience, to be sure. :)

and it wasn't my fuckin' idea either!

P90

radioheadrule83 said:
Hmm. Maybe I'm not understanding their reasoning here - but it seems like total bullshit. So we buy mags and read reviews for the projected reception the game will have, not to discern its actual quality?

GI can read peoples minds; how they would like a game. Are they Jedi?

Dan

Jonnyboy117 said:
Note: Journalists and critics often work together but are not the same thing. Some of us try to be both, though. ;-)
Some fail to be either.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
P90 said:
GI can read peoples minds; how they would like a game. Are they Jedi?

**GI editor holds up a Nintendo Gamecube with one hand, and waves another in the air mystically**

These are not the games you're looking for.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
eXxy said:
dan and others are hitting it right on the money here.

i wrote about all this at my 1up blog -- http://eXxy.1up.com

I didn't get to this thread until just now, and I haven't read through it all, but, yeah -- you pretty much sum up my feelings on it. They should have just shut the hell up & stood behind their review. This "we know what gamers REALLY want, and so our reviews will reflect THAT" stuff is reprehensible.

As gamers, we want reviewers to tell us THEIR OPINION of the game being reviewed, not couch it based on what they think we want to hear. How can we possibly trust GameInformer reviewers after this?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Soul4ger said:
If the review you write is a reflection of how you feel, there's no need for justification.
This is absolutely true.

And if you come in and justify it with bullshit like this, of course it is going to instantly call your integrity into question.

there is a 70, an 80, and I believe an 85 on gamerankings. you don't see anything like "well, most people won't like it" on those reviews.

GI screwed up by justifying it. and I swaer to god, if they really do account for public perception in reviews, they need to be shutdown. kaput. fire everyone and start over.

Dan

WarPig said:
And for some fuckin' reason, some of us still get paid. Strange world, innit?

DFS.
It's not really meant to be an offensive statement. The current development of video game coverage doesn't really leave a distinction to be made, in my opinion. Beyond that though, the critique of this GI business cannot be disregarded by trying to nitpick over whether the review qualifies as a piece of journalism or criticism. The distinction, I think, is largely irrelevant to this discussion and to video game coverage as a whole, as it really hasn't developed far enough. I think this was just discussed recently in another thread anyway, and those of you in the professional sector agreed there really wasn't any serious critical venues to be found anyhow.

It's a whole different issue I think, and only vaguely and minutely related here. The classification doesn't make a difference to the inconsistent and flawed standards the reviews are crafted under. I was going to change my original post because I figured it'd get some nasty comments, but then, I left for a moment and figured people would have read it as is already, and would wait to reply to any responses.

It'd also be great if Hemmdog (Andy) responded with something. Most of us are being rather polite and trying to engage in real discussion, and he pushed this whole thing into another realm with his response. If only to say "hey, Dan and the rest of you are fucktards, nya!" at least we'd know he was reading. I know I'm not trying to crucify him or anything, I'm just really interested in the discussion of such things. I think one of the things video game coverage lacks is a critical eye at how reviews are handled, and organizations as a whole. At the end of the day, it's all constructive criticism.

Dan

chespace said:
at least learn the guy's fuckin' name. it's andy.
Hah, whoops. I'm talking to an Adam on AIM. Damned four letter names starting with 'A'.

M3wThr33

Banned
You know, Andy, there is something you can try to do. Get 'em fired. If they're not doing their job right, why bother keeping them on the payroll?

Che

Banned
Both of them (Jeremy and Lisa) are harcore gamers

ibtn.jpg

Ristamar

M3wThr33 said:
You know, Andy, there is something you can try to do. Get 'em fired. If they're not doing their job right, why bother keeping them on the payroll?

At the very least, I'd hope there's far more scrutiny placed on the text and the reviewers rationale before it goes to press so these "misunderstandings" don't occur in the future.

AbeFroman

Ristamar said:
At the very least, I'd hope there's far more scrutiny placed on the text and the reviewers rationale before it goes to press so these "misunderstandings" don't occur in the future.

I think it is more like - it is not appropriate for reviewers to use pronouns like "we" when they are posting responses on the Internet.

-or-

Andy - "Jeremy, you are teh banned from teh net"

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Dan said:
It's not really meant to be an offensive statement. The current development of video game coverage doesn't really leave a distinction to be made, in my opinion. Beyond that though, the critique of this GI business cannot be disregarded by trying to nitpick over whether the review qualifies as a piece of journalism or criticism. The distinction, I think, is largely irrelevant to this discussion and to video game coverage as a whole, as it really hasn't developed far enough. I think this was just discussed recently in another thread anyway, and those of you in the professional sector agreed there really wasn't any serious critical venues to be found anyhow.

agreed. even though there are dozens of areas where game coverage could be improved in a journalistic sense, there's much to be said for the fact that game coverage is so new, it has to establish itself before it can improve. which isn't to say it's exempt from criticism, but there has to be a sense of reality established. it's only been on the last, what, 5 to 10 years max. that the word journalism has been associated with coverage of the video game sector?

It'd also be great if Hemmdog (Andy) responded with something. Most of us are being rather polite and trying to engage in real discussion, and he pushed this whole thing into another realm with his response. If only to say "hey, Dan and the rest of you are fucktards, nya!" at least we'd know he was reading. I know I'm not trying to crucify him or anything, I'm just really interested in the discussion of such things. I think one of the things video game coverage lacks is a critical eye at how reviews are handled, and organizations as a whole. At the end of the day, it's all constructive criticism.

make no mistake, andy is reading every one of the posts in this thread, along with the several other game informer staff members who have accounts on this forum (and there are a handful, at least). i don't believe the words of jeremy account for game informer's complete review philosophy. i'm more inclined to believe andy's statements (even though they come across as damage control), but such a conclusion only shines a light on the rabid inconsistencies found in publications. game informer is not alone in this criticism and is not an exception to a hardened rule supposed to exist other magazines and online sources.

Alcibiades

so...

I'm a little confused, did he like it but didn't think gamers would, or did he not like it like that GI guy said in this thread?

Teddman

How many people in this thread have even read the friggin' review. What a self-righteous wankfest this has become...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I already replied in this thread, and was going to leave it at that, but I still can't get over this.

What exactly was this GI guy saying? "This game is great, but I don't think you'd like it, so I'm going to further discourage you from expanding your gaming pallette by lowering the score to make you feel more comfortable about skipping over it. This great game." How good does the game have to be before you would give it the score you think it deserves? Would you mark down the greatest game you ever played because you didn't think it'd appeal to GI's demographic? What makes you sure you know what your readers would like? They're not a homogenous mass, all of one opinion, and you'd probably find that they are surprisingly open to suggestion.

This actually makes me quite angry, because if this kind of attitude is present in the media, it really contributes in a shocking way to all that's currently wrong with the industry. It further discourages publishers from trying anything different creatively (because "omg! GI will mark it down! cos the GI audience doesn't like this kind of thing!"), and discourages sales of deserving games. If you think a game is great, and are confident in that, then you should be singing its praises and making a case as to why your audience should invest in that title. You simply can't try and direct people into purchasing things you think they'll like. Form your own opinion, and then argue your corner. You never know..if you gave it an honest score, true to your own feelings, more of your audience might have tried the game and liked it.

God, what bullshit. I'm really quite annoyed now. Andy - I am sure you asked Jeremy why he gave Paper Mario the score that he did, given that it's not what one might have expected. Did he give you the same reason he has given us? If he did, shame on you for not exerting your authority as editor and cutting the review. And for not subsequently kicking your review team into touch and remind them WTF they are supposed to be doing.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Teddman said:
How many people in this thread have even read the friggin' review. What a self-righteous wankfest this has become...

In this case, it actually doesn't matter if you've read the review or not. Taking Jeremy's explanation of his score in isolation is more than enough to get worked up.

Teddman

gofreak said:
In this case, it actually doesn't matter if you've read the review or not. Taking Jeremy's explanation of his score in isolation is more than enough to get worked up.
It does matter, though I know many would like to believe otherwise so that they can continue their bombast with a minimum of effort and inconvenience. If you haven't played Paper Mario 2, and you haven't read the review, you can't really speak as to whether or not it was a fair review with any authority.

Patrick Klepek

Teddman said:
It does matter, though I know many would like to believe otherwise so that they can continue their bombast with a minimum of effort and inconvenience. If you haven't played Paper Mario 2, and you haven't read the review, you can't really speak as to whether or not it was a fair review with any authority.

teddman, i fail to see why we're unable to criticize game informer's review policies without having played paper mario 2; it's only the example being used throughout most of this debate. it has nothing to do with paper mario 2, really, except that it's the game caught in game informer's strange review philosophies. paper mario 2 could be shark tale, for all i care.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Teddman said:

Yes you can. Did you actually read the first post in this thread? We know the foundation upon which Jeremy wrote the review. As Exxy said, forget about Paper Mario 2 now, heck forget about that specific review. Look at what Jeremy said re. games aimed at a younger audience and re. marking according to the perceived tastes and expectations of the GI readership. That's all you need to know.

Insertia

However, it also WILL NOT appeal to many people - I would safely say that more people will dislike it than like it. Why? Like we said in the review, it's a very kiddie game - it's target audience is clearly young gamers - I would say 10 and under. For that reason, we had to score it low. Remember, we aren't scoring games strictly on our personal opinions, we're also scoring them based on how much we think THE GAMING PUBLIC will like them. We've all played games that we personally disliked and scored them well because we've known that most people will like them, and we've also scored games low that we love, because most people won't enjoy them.

whaa?! is this true?

Teddman

eXxy, the problem is that the reviewer never says that he scored the game contrary to his own opinion because of his perceived notions about Game Informer's audience. He only says that he also took into consideration the target audience, gaming public, etc. but never says that it contradicted his own views on the game.

Maybe if we knew his views, we might be able to answer the question of whether or not he really changed his opinion to match that of "THE GAMING PUBLIC."

A good way of finding out? Read the review, which NO ONE in this thread seems to have done.

I can recall zero quotations in this thread. Wouldn't it be nice to have one person who's read the review in a 7-page thread besides, you know, the Editor-in-Chief?

AniHawk

I'm curious as to why they would have scored Mario & Luigi so high (which a lot of people did- I didn't care for it at all) while scoring Paper Mario 2 so low. Would be nice to know the jist of both reviews.

Patrick Klepek

teddman, jeremy notes that the public's perceived perception of paper mario 2 ultimately determiend part of the review score by saying, "For that reason, we had to score it low. Remember, we aren't scoring games strictly on our personal opinions, we're also scoring them based on how much we think THE GAMING PUBLIC will like them." essentially, he's admitting that the score could have been higher, but the public wouldn't have agreed with that score, so it was lowered to fit a demographic.

Teddman

eXxy said:
teddman, jeremy notes that the public's perceived perception of paper mario 2 ultimately determiend part of the review score by saying, "For that reason, we had to score it low. Remember, we aren't scoring games strictly on our personal opinions, we're also scoring them based on how much we think THE GAMING PUBLIC will like them."
eXxy, go back one sentence from your quotation.

"Like we said in the review, it's a very kiddie game - it's target audience is clearly young gamers - I would say 10 and under."

That's the primary reason he says he had to score it low--because it was "a very kiddie game," like he said in the review. The part about public opinions is mentioned in connection with that, but he never says public opinion ran contrary to his in the case of Paper Mario 2. We'd know if we read the review though...

Dan

nubbe said:
GBA is kiddy so kiddy games get high score while cool games get low scores, going by GI logic
No, GI logic has nothing to do with the platform, and everything to do with the vague, undefined gaming values of their stereotypical reader. With everything that's been presented, Superstar Saga should have logically been scored lower too.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Teddman said:
eXxy, the problem is that the reviewer never says that he scored the game contrary to his own opinion because of his perceived notions about Game Informer's audience. He only says that he also took into consideration the target audience, gaming public, etc. but never says that it contradicted his own views on the game.

Maybe if we knew his views, we might be able to answer the question of whether or not he really changed his opinion to match that of "THE GAMING PUBLIC."

A good of finding out? Read the review, which NO ONE in this thread seems to have done.

I can recall zero quotations in this thread. Wouldn't it be nice to have one person who's read the review in a 7-page thread besides, you know, the Editor-in-Chief?

Go back and read the quote from the first post

We've all played games that we personally disliked and scored them well because we've known that most people will like them, and we've also scored games low that we love, because most people won't enjoy them.

right here he is clearly stating that they have scored games differently than what they have felt based on how they feel the public will perceive the game. And by association and insinuation it seems fair to assume he was referring to the Paper Mario 2 review being THAT IS WHAT IT WAS IN RESPONSE TO.

This has nothing to do with the score itself but instead with the asinine scoring system. The fact that they WILL adjust the score from what they feel it should be to mesh with how they feel the public will react to the game. How is that in anyway objective? So games like Zelda or Katamari Damacy automatically have black marks against them in every review because the general public may be puzzled by them at first glance?

It is ludicrous. At this point you miss the fact that this is no longer about the actual review but instead about a gaming magazine's supposed criteria for scoring reviews. In that respect GI has lost all credibility. GTA:SA I guess automatically gets a 9 point adjustment, even if it is flaming poo on a stick.

Teddman

The way I see it, he is talking about the "general public" in terms of GI's target audience. He mentions target audience first and foremost and says "For that reason, we had to score it low." What's GI's main readership demographic? If they skew older and aggressive target an "edgier" teenage demographic and viewpoint, I guess I can see what he's getting at.

It doesn't make it a 100% objective, neutral review, but there are magazines that do that all the time in name of the readership's viewpoint. A new hip-hop album get a very different review in The Source or Vibe from what it gets in People Magazine or Rolling Stone, for example.

nubbe said:
GBA is kiddy so kiddy games get high score while cool games get low scores, going by GI logic

Ironicly, that is how the review reads in the main magazine itself. I just got the issue today, and appaled by the review. This Jeremy says the game has good graphics and control and play but he complains about the dialogue not being "ADULT" and smart. He says is hould be like Aladin, smart enough for Kids and adults.
It does seem some of thier reviews are geared toward an audience. I noticed that alot of the japanese games got low scores, while the western games got 9 and 10's.
I mean Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturene got the same score has Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude, a 7.5!

Dan

I haven't seen this mentioned yet:

The thread that contained Jeremy's comments was deleted at GI's forums.

You know, even if Jeremy didn't personally like the game, his review is still bullshit. I don't care how you feel while playing the game. I want an objective review for games (in fact, not just games, everything). I don't see the fun in sim racers or sim sports. But if I gave GT4 a 6.75 out of 10, I deserve all the lashing I get. You have to measure all the parts of the game. GT4 has tons of realistically modeled cars, tracks, and cohesive graphics. This is a well made game. One I won't enjoy, but feelings shouldn't be a factor in reviews.

When a game oozes polish, and has the potential for entertainment, maybe not for you persay, but any fan of the genre, then the game should recieve a score it deserves. Guessing what another person likes is an exercise in fultility, and should be taken into account. Jeremy should of seen that even if it's not fun for him, its a well made game that isn't broken like Enter the Matrix or Driv3r.

Top Bottom