• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

btrboyev

If you think this has a happy ending...you've definitely been paying attention this season.

Stop with this same old tripe line. It's been copied to death.

The show will have an ending that works out for the good guys. It might not be what we expect, but it's not ending badly.

If the white walkers can't get into the water how did they tied the chain around the dragon?

It seems like they can. Some of the ones that fell through seem to have walked along the bottom, since a couple of them were coming up out of the hole in the ice trying to grab Tormund's legs and pull him under.

sam12

There's a theory that Jon has a deathwish since he was resurrected and doesn't really value his life which is why he's been doing a bunch of reckless stuff lately. That being said, that scene was especially dumb.

Night King's army doing the one-on-one karate movie shit with Jon but they swarm Benjen in seconds lol

And Benjen saying he has no time to go with Jon, yet he sends Jon away when he could have easily tagged along

Arya playin the long con on Littlefinger. I believe.

I sure hope you're right.

Next week Arya better spring her trap...if in fact that's what is going on. That deadpan motionless "just took my meds" speech Arya is using with Sansa makes her come across as completely unhinged.

I don't want another year to go by knowing LF is still alive, either.

rothgar

I honestly think dani might die next week because Tyrion keeps asking about her heir

Nah, they keep bringing up the no children thing so they can make the incest angle semi-cool. Jon and Dany are definitely going to smash. Hopefully next episode so we can get this stupid,
sexy
shipping business out of the way.

So I've been trying to do a bit of maths in that regards. So Westeros is supposed to be a fictional version of Great Britain with a bit more land mass. Let's say that the distance between Eastwatch and Dragonstone is roughly the same distance between Edinburgh and London which is 414 miles give or take a few extra miles, so let's say 430 miles between Eastwatch and Dragonstone. I did some googling and apparently ravens can fly at a speed of ~28 miles per hour, so 430/28 gives you ~15 hours. Now this is where the maths gets even more fuzzy, not knowing the flight speed of dragons I'm going to assume that they fly at least twice as fast as a raven, so (430 miles to Eastwatch + 20 miles maybe? to where ever jon snow and the gang walked) / 56 the minimum flight speed of dragons gives us, 8 hours. So 15 hours for the raven + 8 hours for the dragons gives us 23 hours.
Please take this with a massive grain of salt, all my facts and maths could be totally way off.

I'm remembering the distance between Winterfell and Kings Landing being 1000 miles. That number sticks out to me for some reason. Roose tells Ramsay the distance between Winterfell and The Wall which I can't recall at the moment.

I'm guessing it's more like 1500 miles.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Jon has had two moments in this series where he's basically had time to reflect on his impending death during a battle as he gets overwhelmed.
jKeIcRs.gif

and again during this battle. Stop fucking up Jon the Lord can't save you forever.

So I've been trying to do a bit of maths in that regards. So Westeros is supposed to be a fictional version of Great Britain with a bit more land mass. Let's say that the distance between Eastwatch and Dragonstone is roughly the same distance between Edinburgh and London which is 414 miles give or take a few extra miles, so let's say 430 miles between Eastwatch and Dragonstone. I did some googling and apparently ravens can fly at a speed of ~28 miles per hour, so 430/28 gives you ~15 hours. Now this is where the maths gets even more fuzzy, not knowing the flight speed of dragons I'm going to assume that they fly at least twice as fast as a raven, so (430 miles to Eastwatch + 20 miles maybe? to where ever jon snow and the gang walked) / 56 the minimum flight speed of dragons gives us, 8 hours. So 15 hours for the raven + 8 hours for the dragons gives us 23 hours.
Please take this with a massive grain of salt, all my facts and maths could be totally way off.

Was it an African or European dragon?

CLEEK

Pretty much. The trip Robert made from KL to Winterfell at the beginning of the series should have taken months not weeks as we are told.

GRRM had zero grasp on how long it took to get places during the Middle Ages.

In S01E01 when King Rob rooks up to Winterfell and asks Ned to take him to the crypt so he could perv at the statue of Jon's mum, Cercie says "we've been on the road for a month". So yeah, GRRM's ideas about sizing and scale have always been wrong. Isn't book Mountain meant to be 8 feet tall or something?

Fuck all the people who read the leaks and posted their theories. Played out 1:1 with the ones I read.

Thought the episode overall was the worst this season with some of the decision making. How do you not throw your ice spear at the dragon closest to you, that's stationary, and with your enemies piling on it? Took me right out.

Though I guess the other was burning up the army and could have come for him next but STILL! Get multiple people throwing, or grab another RIGHT AWAY!

And Bengen... "There's no time". smh

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Jon has had two moments in this series where he's basically had time to reflect on his impending death during a battle as he gets overwhelmed.
jKeIcRs.gif

and again during this battle. Stop fucking up Jon the Lord can't save you forever.

Dude is so ready to die. I bet he was happy when Thoros died.

Stop with this same old tripe line. It's been copied to death.

The show will have an ending that works out for the good guys. It might not be what we expect, but it's not ending badly.

Agreed. Look at True Blood. That show was a cultural phenomenon for HBO. It's horrible final season and pathetic ending completely erased it from history and relevancy.

In the same vein of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, GoT will have a "happy" ending for the heroes. And I'm here for that.

Tuck

I thought Maisie was great even though I hate how Arya's acting. I actually found Arya legitimately terrifying during that last scene. I think I was more shook than Sansa.

I agree - she is doing a great job acting.

Unfortunately the material she's been given isn't that great.

LF wanted to put Brienne and Arya against each other, he was pretty clearly dropped that idea into his conversation with Sansa.

He did...But, Sansa is obviously feeling threatened by Arya right?

So, from Sansa perspective, wouldn't it be wise to keep her around to protect her from Arya?

This is how it played out for me.

LF figured out a way to get the best thing that would protect Arya and Sansa from themselves away from WF.

Jarmel

Banned
Jesus why does this show have to ruin the good with some convoluted unbelievable bullshit nowadays. I was literally stunned the entire time when they send Gendry to run back and send a Raven. I couldn't believe that's what they were doing and that's how they'd be saved. Gendry runs back, sends a raven, it gets to Dany, then she flies up and finds them in the nick of time? Seriously? That's almost more ridiculous than a lot of the stuff they've pulled this season.
Couldn't they have just taken a raven with them from the beginning?

Littlefingers character is toast. He doesn't belong in the story anymore.

The random character abnormalities are a contrivance in order to kill him off next episode.

He's got no allies, the army he was with all swore to jon snow and the starks.

Littlefinger is barely a lord no northern lord would side with him over a stark.

Any bullshit he pulls, they've got trump card bran to just wheel in and call bullshit whenever he likes.

Bran can advance the story a whole lot.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Anyone found weird these randoms in Jon's crew that never got screentime suddenly appearing and then dying?

Being the size of Britain makes no sense given the climatic differences between Dorne and north of the wall. Dorne is clearly Spain. North of the Wall is Scandinavia.

You're right. I'm no expert when it comes to sizes but being as big as South America, especially with how characters have been travelling up and down throughout the series is a bit much.

I didn't think the death of a dragon would have much impact on me, but something about it really struck a nerve. I think it's how violent the death was, on top of watching these indestructable things suddenly turn to fragile little glass.

kswiston

Nah, they keep bringing up the no children thing so they can make the incest angle semi-cool. Jon and Dany are definitely going to smash. Hopefully next episode so we can get this stupid,
sexy
shipping business out of the way.

None of the main actors are dying before season 8. The main 5 all re-upped their contracts, and it wouldn't make any sense from a storytelling standpoint. Unless people think that the Queen Cersei stuff is going to get wrapped up in the next 80 mins.

jKeIcRs.gif

Yeah Jon's problems are that he is brave as shit and a bad ass warrior, but just not smart when it comes to tactics. He gets by on his individual fighting skills but can't make a battle plan / be tactically smart at all.

Luckily he's had people there to save him

jKeIcRs.gif

He had that moment twice in the same episode. First got saved by Drogon then by Uncle Benjen who died in a such a shitty way. Where was the fuck was he earlier?

This mission was just so goddamn stupid. WTF were the writers thinking.

RDreamer

Couldn't they have just taken a raven with them from the beginning?

Exactly none of their plan made any sense from the beginning.

Seriously, someone explain exactly what the hell they were going to do. They really went up north to try and pick one of them off and... what? Drag it back screaming? Like what the fuck was the plan? They didn't have a wagon with or anything even though they were that close to Eastwatch? How about some horses?

Diabelli

They should have just had the dragons sense that Jon was in danger, like Drogon did for Dany in season 5. But I guess they needed Dany there.

He had that moment twice in the same episode. First got saved by Drogon then by Uncle Benjen who died in a such a shitty way. Where was the fuck was he earlier?

This mission was just so goddamn stupid. WTF were the writers thinking.

I kind of agreed. Not worth the a dragon to have a armistice with Cersei.

She's hated and loved enough that they need her for the last season so we can't see her getting smoked this season.

kswiston

You're right. I'm no expert when it comes to sizes but being as big as South America, especially with how characters have been travelling up and down throughout the series is a bit much.

The writers just don't care.

They should have moved Dragonstone north in the Show. The fact that it is on the other side of the continent is the main issue.

Top Bottom