• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

You and me both. Dragon death didn't do anything for me, but if Tormund was to croak...

Yup. Maybe part of that was the inevitability that one of the dragons was likely going to die someday so there was some preparation, though it still hurt so it did do something to me, but either way Tormund is just too damn good, that would have been brutal. I was edge of my seat.

The sequence of him fighting and struggling to survive felt longer than it was, which was perfect, and he was putting up a great fight but they were doing such a good job of showing him wearing down and gradually getting overwhelmed.

So glad he made it!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He did...But, Sansa is obviously feeling threatened by Arya right?

So, from Sansa perspective, wouldn't it be wise to keep her around to protect her from Arya?

This is how it played out for me.

LF figured out a way to get the best thing that would protect Arya and Sansa from themselves away from WF.

Sansa was threatened by Arya revealing the note, which is why she went looking for it. She's in a castle full of armed guards, she's got no reason to believe she's in any real danger until she finds out about the faces.

By sending Brienne away she makes sure both Brienne and Arya survive, perhaps long enough for Jon to come back and set Arya straight. Remember that Arya really loves Jon and would pretty much do anything he wants, which is how LF has set this whole thing up in the first place. If Jon comes back before LF is able to goad Arya into anything then it's Sansa's win.

Sansa is playing for time here and took a piece LF wanted to use off the table. Of course, as you point out, that has an obvious benefit for LF, but he's playing on a much higher level than the girls are so all they can do is react to his actions and wait for the time limit to expire.

Exactly none of their plan made any sense from the beginning.

Seriously, someone explain exactly what the hell they were going to do. They really went up north to try and pick one of them off and... what? Drag it back screaming? Like what the fuck was the plan? They didn't have a wagon with or anything even though they were that close to Eastwatch? How about some horses?

If you really want to get down to it, why didn't Dany just fly everyone out there from the get go, she went on the word of a raven, could have saved time and lives if she just up and transported a few good men right away.

But, that would be quick, and kinda boring, this is fun to watch, so I'll take this even if it seems to be ridiculous at times. It is, fiction after all.

Phased

Yup. Maybe part of that was the inevitability that one of the dragons was likely going to die someday so there was some preparation, but either way Tormund is just too damn good, that would have been brutal. I was edge of my seat.

Tormund and Davos are legit the MVP's of this show. I'm going to be extremely upset if they don't both make it through this ok.

Speevy

Banned
If you really think about it, at no point is the Night King going to be more vulnerable than he was at the moment when Dany was escaping.

She should have risked all and dive-bombed his ass.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
My two issues with the episode:

1. Too many last second saves. A little too Hollywood-ish

2. I didn't like the actual showing of Arya's faces. She keeps them in a sack? I thought it was a special dark ability. Because she can change her voice and even her height and stuff. Makes it feel like a Halloween costume now. Cheapens it IMO.

But other than that entertaining. Not as good as Spoils of War though, not even close IMO.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
If you really think about it, at no point is the Night King going to be more vulnerable than he was at the moment when Dany was escaping.

all 5 of the white walkers had those spears

Jarmel

Banned
The Sansa Arya garbage is another can of worms. It's so insanely forced but I bet you any amount of money that this was in the plot stuff Martin gave to the staff. This feels like something he wrote up.

I didn't think the death of a dragon would have much impact on me, but something about it really struck a nerve. I think it's how violent the death was, on top of watching these indestructable things suddenly turn to fragile little glass.

Yeah same. It was the combo of how effortlessly the Night King just destroyed him / the other Dragons seeming so sad. Hit me a lot harder than I thought it would

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
2. I didn't like the actual showing of Arya's faces. She keeps them in a sack? I thought it was a special dark ability. Because she can change her voice and even her height and stuff. Makes it feel like a Halloween costume now. Cheapens it IMO.

We saw this back in season 5, though.

I thought after the scorpion hit Drogon that Dany would get armor for her dragons. After this last episode, I really hope this happens. She needs to get protection.

Diabelli

Her other dragon wimped out (like where was it?), so it would have been Drogon in a 1-vs-1. Too risky.

televator

Speaking of ghost. They really couldn't have ghost at Jon's side in this episode?
gvHlJfN.gif

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Brienne would only benefit Sansa by staying by her side.
It could be seen two (or three) ways.
Either LF was proposing that Sansa use Brienne against Arya, in which case sending Brienne away is smart and she is aware of what LF is up to. Or LF was suggesting that if Sansa moved against Arya, Brienne would be forced to stop her, in which case sending Brienne away is an indication that Sansa is considering that she might have to harm Arya in some way. My reading was the first case.
Or the third way is that LF suggested using Brienne against Arya, knowing that Sansa would go against him, and his real reason for doing so was to remove Brienne from the equation for some other reason.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
We still need to mark off:

- Bran wargs into dragon
- Undead dragon versus normal dragon

Then we're clear on the necessary dragon narrative beats.

Hydrus

Quick thoughts on the episode:

Tormund and The Hound are my favorite characters and I loved their whole interaction.
  • Fuck the writers for almost making me throw my remote across the room when it appeared Tormund would die.
  • Emilia Clarke is extra beautiful this season.
  • They really need to kill of Little finger already.
  • We dont need Sansa vs Arya story line and I hated all the scenes that involved them this episode. Felt really out of place and completely ruined the great moments with the Jon and friends.
  • That moment when the music kicks in when Hound says fuck it and the wights start attacking was something ripped straight out of God of War! Favorite moment in the episode.
  • Jon and Dany will fuck next episode and it will be amazing. Those two have great chemistry.
  • Sad that Uncle Benjin got a very quick goodbye and death.
  • Beric is a badass and I liked the way they killed of Thoros. Slow peaceful death instead of the out of nowhere brutal death.

I loved this episode aside from the Sansa/ Arya bits. I got two things spoiled this week for me: The Jon and Jorah - long claw scene and of course the dragon resurrection bit thanks to social media. Still managed to enjoy this one though.

Sansa was threatened by Arya revealing the note, which is why she went looking for it. She's in a castle full of armed guards, she's got no reason to believe she's in any real danger until she finds out about the faces.

By sending Brienne away she makes sure both Brienne and Arya survive, perhaps long enough for Jon to come back and set Arya straight. Remember that Arya really loves Jon and would pretty much do anything he wants, which is how LF has set this whole thing up in the first place. If Jon comes back before LF is able to goad Arya into anything then it's Sansa's win.

Sansa is playing for time here and took a piece LF wanted to use off the table. Of course, as you point out, that has an obvious benefit for LF, but he's playing on a much higher level than the girls are so all they can do is react to his actions.

I do not believe Sansa to be that calculated, not even remotely close to it. We'll see I guess.

My prediction for the end of the show: Dani is preggo with Jon's baby. Jon dies heroically.

I think that pretty obvious with the hints and all.

Top Bottom