• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
It's a shame we really can't talk about predictions anymore with the leaks, because I really wanted people's guesses on what trap Cersei will try and pull next week. Kill Dany? Capture Dany? Kill a dragon?

She and Qyburn are up to something.

Hnnnnng, I can't get over the music that played when Dany made her entrance. Such a brilliant little mix of the Dance of Dragons / Winds of Winter theme.

Can't wait to binge on this season's soundtrack.

I still don't know why Jon Snow needs to continue fighting when everyone is ready to get out. Maybe the dragon might have been saved if it weren't for his moronic nature

What I want to know is what was it that Sansa did this episode to make you think she was smart?

Westeros' size is so ridiculous that I refuse to believe it.
GRRM never had a handle of measurements, the man was shocked when he first saw the Wall and thought it should be shorter.
But he did say 700 ft.

Should be the size of UK or something.

Pretty much. The trip Robert made from KL to Winterfell at the beginning of the series should have taken months not weeks as we are told.

GRRM had zero grasp on how long it took to get places during the Middle Ages.

I still don't know why Jon Snow needs to continue fighting when everyone is ready to get out. Maybe the dragon might have been saved if it weren't for his moronic nature

The dragon was dead whether Jon was on it or not. Viserion was in the air.
Look, from past posts I know you don't think much of Jon and that's fine.
But don't misrepresent what was shown just so you can favour your bias..

Pretty much. The trip Robert made from KL to Winterfell at the beginning of the series should have taken months not weeks as we are told.

GRRM had zero grasp on how long it took to get places during the Middle Ages.

Yep, the series is ridiculous when it comes to size.

demolitio

Told my friend Dany would go save the group and lose a dragon in the process but I didn't expect it to come after receiving a raven. I thought she'd leave shortly after to see for herself, not time travel out of necessity.

I'm definitely assuming Arya is playing LF at this point. Otherwise that storyline isn't really going anywhere this season. LF better get caught next episode by a disguised Arya.

riotous

Banned
That doesn't change his plan though. So long as she doesn't catch onto him and keeps on the trajectory she's on it doesn't matter if she wears someone's face while tailing him or not.

I'm saying she could have caught on to him already; and did the Sansa scene because Arya knows Sansa will go to LF about it.

Chase17

Did someone bring back Gendry "speed demon" (does he have a last name?)'s hammer back for him.

You think Littlefinger isn't lowkey manipulating Sansa too? Brienne doesn't trust Littlefinger more than Arya and he's trying to send her away? That's kinda shady.

Someone should check in with Bran to find out /s

How much time has passed for the raven to hit Dragonstone and Dany arriving like the Eagles in LOTR?

I'm not that bothered, just wondering if there's an explanation.
So I've been trying to do a bit of maths in that regards. So Westeros is supposed to be a fictional version of Great Britain with a bit more land mass. Let's say that the distance between Eastwatch and Dragonstone is roughly the same distance between Edinburgh and London which is 414 miles give or take a few extra miles, so let's say 430 miles between Eastwatch and Dragonstone. I did some googling and apparently ravens can fly at a speed of ~28 miles per hour, so 430/28 gives you ~15 hours. Now this is where the maths gets even more fuzzy, not knowing the flight speed of dragons I'm going to assume that they fly at least twice as fast as a raven, so (430 miles to Eastwatch + 20 miles maybe? to where ever jon snow and the gang walked) / 56 the minimum flight speed of dragons gives us, 8 hours. So 15 hours for the raven + 8 hours for the dragons gives us 23 hours.
Please take this with a massive grain of salt, all my facts and maths could be totally way off.

There's a theory that Jon has a deathwish since he was resurrected and doesn't really value his life which is why he's been doing a bunch of reckless stuff lately. That being said, that scene was especially dumb.

Night King's army doing the one-on-one karate movie shit with Jon but they swarm Benjen in seconds lol

Someone pointed out to me, in this thread (maybe a few days ago?), that they were loading up boxes of dragonglass on the boat before they left. I missed it, but apparently they had dragonglass with them.

I thought dragonglass only works on white walkers not wights.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Stranded on rock- send gendry away- gets rescued- raven is sent- dany gets raven- flies beyond the wall- searches all over and finds them- in 36 hours? Come on now.

the math roughly works

depending on when gendry arrives at the wall and when the dragons arrive, it potentially leaves extra time

another thing to note... we don't know exactly how long the day cycle is in this universe. Remember... this isn't earth.

Speevy

Banned
I think the directors asked Maisie Williams to play Arya as more sinister and worldly than usual, but the whole thing comes off as forced.

Sophie Turner's performance is something I'm not sure about. Half the time she seems to have reverted back to a younger state, and the other half she's channeling an older woman.

The actors can't seem to settle on how to make these characters into young women.

The real gag is the Littlefinger is manipulating Arya and it's SANSA who's going to be the one to save her ungrateful little ass and show her how it's really done.

xvHcVz7.gif

RDreamer

Jesus why does this show have to ruin the good with some convoluted unbelievable bullshit nowadays. I was literally stunned the entire time when they send Gendry to run back and send a Raven. I couldn't believe that's what they were doing and that's how they'd be saved. Gendry runs back, sends a raven, it gets to Dany, then she flies up and finds them in the nick of time? Seriously? That's almost more ridiculous than a lot of the stuff they've pulled this season.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm saying she could have caught on to him already; and did the Sansa scene because Arya knows Sansa will go to LF about it.

Except there's no reason for us to think this. She has no experience with that sort of scheming. It makes more sense for her to be drawn in and played than it does for her to be the chessmaster.

Volimar

Littlefinger's conversation with Sansa had a line to the effect of "If Arya tries to kill you then Brienne would need to intercede to save you due to her vow." Sending Brienne away makes that whole mess avoidable.

It's also possible that Sansa was afraid that Arya could convince Brienne that Sansa was plotting against her or Jon.

sam12

The dragon was dead whether Jon was on it or not. Viserion was in the air.
Look, from past posts I know you don't think much of Jon and that's fine.
But don't misrepresent what was shown just so you can favour your bias..

Not biased just irritated by some of his decisions.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Brienne would only benefit Sansa by staying by her side.

LF wanted to put Brienne and Arya against each other, he was pretty clearly dropped that idea into his conversation with Sansa.

It's also possible that Sansa was afraid that Arya could convince Brienne that Sansa was plotting against her or Jon.

Brienne's job is to protect the girls from danger, not to help make sure Jon stays on the throne. She has no reason to care so long as the sisters don't try and start shit with each other. It also ignores the subtext from the Sansa/LF convo.

Mrbob

I'm starting to believe the Night King set these events in motion because trading a dragon for a wight is an awful trade.

Steejee

So I've been trying to do a bit of maths in that regards. So Westeros is supposed to be a fictional version of Great Britain with a bit more land mass. Let's say that the distance between Eastwatch and Dragonstone is roughly the same distance between Edinburgh and London which is 414 miles give or take a few extra miles, so let's say 430 miles between Eastwatch and Dragonstone. I did some googling and apparently ravens can fly at a speed of ~28 miles per hour, so 430/28 gives you ~15 hours. Now this is where the maths gets even more fuzzy, not knowing the flight speed of dragons I'm going to assume that they fly at least twice as fast as a raven, so (430 miles to Eastwatch + 20 miles maybe? to where ever jon snow and the gang walked) / 56 the minimum flight speed of dragons gives us, 8 hours. So 15 hours for the raven + 8 hours for the dragons gives us 23 hours.
Please take this with a massive grain of salt, all my facts and maths could be totally way off.

That part worked pretty well for me. Really the only part that was iffy was Gendry's run, but they never really established how far from the wall they had gone (they might have zig zagged a bit) so I was okay with that.

Westeros is actually the size of South America according to a GRRM interview.

kswiston

Westeros' size is so ridiculous that I refuse to believe it.
GRRM never had a handle of measurements, the man was shocked when he first saw the Wall and thought it should be shorter.
But he did say 700 ft.

Should be the size of UK or something.

Being the size of Britain makes no sense given the climatic differences between Dorne and north of the wall. Dorne is clearly Spain. North of the Wall is Scandinavia.

OrionX

I think the directors asked Maisie Williams to play Arya as more sinister and worldly than usual, but the whole thing comes off as forced.

Sophie Turner's performance is something I'm not sure about. Half the time she seems to have reverted back to a younger state, and the other half she's channeling an older woman.

The actors can't seem to settle on how to make these characters into young women.

I thought Maisie was great even though I hate how Arya's acting. I actually found Arya legitimately terrifying during that last scene. I think I was more shook than Sansa.

Top Bottom