• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

witness

Well, another intense episode. From the the get go when Bran showed he had warging abilities, I was convinced he'd warg one of the dragons to turn the tide. I started getting iffy on it since I wasn't sure how a scenario could work out that Bran would do it when Jon is so clearly team Targ. Well...now there's a reason. He's going to get his ultimate revenge on the Night King touching him (was it while he was warging? I can't remember...) and turn that dragon nuke back on him.

Oh god this would be amazing.

Damn, saw an article that was titled "The show is conventional fantasy now."
I just don't know what some people expected the final act to look like barring some issues.

kswiston

Night King's throw still drives me crazy. That's all it took to kill a dragon?
For years I've been hearing how dragons would destroy or at least severely hurt these guys.

But one magical spear was all it took.

The "Make Essos Great Again" people did some damage to Drogon with regular weapons not all that long ago.

RDreamer

Man I'm just bummed. This season is honestly my 2nd least fav. Just above Season 5 probably. I really want to love it because the scenes are cool if you turn your brain off, but that's not why I fell in love with this show.

I just don't know what some people expected the final act to look like barring some issues.

Coherently written?

FiggyCal

Banned
here's the thing...if they go straight to fucking in the next episode then it's like he's Dany's new Daario. They could've at least kissed.

How many episodes did it take to build up Dany & Drogo's romances? How many for Robb and Talisa? Jon and Ygritte? Dany & Daario?

and Jon offering to bend the knee? nah...not everything I hoped it'd be.

lol well :(

I don't care much for Jon bending the knee either. I don't think it makes sense for him to do it since she just offered him an equal partnership, but maybe he really doesn't want to be king. Not just that he didn't ask for it, but like its something he actively thinks is counterproductive with the Night King business.

But I'm a sucker for that Dany/Jon romance.

Speevy

Banned
Do you guys think they avoided having any of those vision scenes with Bran this season due to fan feedback or time constraints?

I was afraid Bran would be doing what he's doing now since he arrived back at Winterfell -- nothing. He's an omniscient, all-knowing entity now and he can't tell Sansa and Arya the truth about LF. People could enjoy having the tables turned and all the Starks playing him in unison. But no, there has to be some shoehorned drama between Sansa and Arya.

I really hope the finale sticks the landing for this season.

Yeah I think this is a very legit criticism. Bran is this uber powerful dude now....doing absolutely nothing

PFD

giphy.gif

kc44135

So, I don't comment on these GOT threads very often (too busy watching/loving this show), and I certainly haven't criticized the "fast travel" before either. It can be kinda wierd/distracting at times, but only because things are happening more quickly than you expect they would. These characters have traveled very quickly all over Westeros seemingly in the span of seconds, but in reality you know they spent days/weeks getting where they needed to go, and frankly, we don't need to see that shit anymore. It's fine, it mostly makes sense, and it saves us precious time as viewers, IMO.

However, what happened in this episode was unbelievably dumb, and kind of a "jump the shark" moment for the show. We're meant to believe that Gendry traveled however many miles back to Eastwatch, sent a raven to Deny that had to fly however many hundreds/thousands of miles to reach her, and then she flew her dragons hundreds/ thousands of miles out to where the "Magnificent 7" were, all in... what, one or two days??? It's so stupid. Also, even if the Night King could see the future and knew the dragons were coming, why not just kill Jon and co. with his I've javelins and then chill while he waits for the Dragon Ex Macina? It's all just so stupid, it hurts.

I mean, I love this show, and I loved this episode. Epic from start to finish, and jam-packed with things I've waited years to see. The Fellowship of the Thrones making their stand against the White Walkers (and an ice bear), the dragons swooping into save the day, and now Ice Dragons and incest are confirmed! So good! But, the Gendry/raven/Dragon fast travel bullshit was just about the dumbest thing this show has ever done, and a stain on an otherwise epic episode. Also, I don't even know what to make of the Winterfell plot at this point, but I'm trying to wait to see how it plays out before passing judgement. So yeah, just venting a bit.

Doesn't seem likely. It would be one thing if the army of the dead surrounded them and waited, but they were stopped by the ice breaking.
But they ran on the ice anyways after the Hound antagonized one of them.

And Krauster was also kinda allied with one of the horse riders by supplying babies. So it's possible they are willing to work with the living under the right circumstances. Maybe Little Finger is working with them...

Some people say he has similar abilities to Bran, which could mean he sees everything

The dude is a warg/ greenseer. Notice on that undead they catch, his eyes light up like when someone gets controlled.
This makes more sense then.

Ah now I recall that scene with him and Bran last season that implied it.

Malvolio

Terrible. The entire episode was so silly. Whatever was special about this series is long dead and gone. All that's left is the rotting corpse being animated by improved special effects. Yes, I'll be back next week. Fuck.

I mean, you could fix both of these things by having them bring fucking wagons and a real team to do this correctly, then have Dany get antsy and say fuck it and go north to see things.

That's not what this show was built on...

I do agree, it could have been handled better, there have been several things like that this season, but, this isn't anything new, it's something that has been happening since the first few episodes. For some reason though people seem to accept that and not this.

When you do a series rewatch, pay attention and you'll notice just how common it is from the get go.

But you're right, the show wasn't built on the action and tension but 2 things, one, it's no longer using that detailed source it was built on...There is a reason GRRM is one of better writers. It's not easy doing what he does and he does it really well, without that direct detailed source, things will suffer. You can't escape that unless he finished his work on time as he planned he would. They can't wait for him otherwise Kit and Emilia will be in their 40s suddenly for the last couple seasons.

Finally, gripping action scenes are tough to do especially when, it might be written that certain cast members need that plot armor....so you have to fake tension around them otherwise the action just isn't good enough. I don't mind to suspend disbelief for the sake of fun.

Oh. I thought Rhagaer was her Uncle? Brother of the King at the time?

No, Rhaegar is her older brother who was killed before she was even born. Jon might also be older than her too—I'm not sure. Dany's mother was pregnant when Robert's Rebellion broke out and the Mad King had his wife and second son Viserys shipped to Dragonstone for safety.

Do you guys think they avoided having any of those vision scenes with Bran this season due to fan feedback or time constraints?

The Tower of Joy and Arthur Dayne going beast mode was one of the high lights of the series.

I feel like they have too much to do at the moment

lol well :(

I don't care much for Jon bending the knee either. I don't think it makes sense for him to do it since she just offered him an equal partnership, but maybe he really doesn't want to be king. Not just that he didn't ask for it, but like its something he actively thinks is counterproductive with the Night King business.
As a king, and as a ruler though he would have to know that marriages are a sure way to forge alliances; Dany knew this too, Tyrion knew this too so if they got married then his problems become her problems and vice versa but I guess it doesn't matter now since Dany is getting his loyalty for less than that.
But I'm a sucker for that Dany/Jon romance.
There's only a few of us but I'm glad we're not alone.

But they ran on the ice anyways after the Hound antagonized one of them.

And Krauster was also kinda allied with one of the horse riders by supplying babies. So it's possible they are willing to work with the living under the right circumstances. Maybe Little Finger is working with them...

Could be. It would be consistent at this point to shovel unearned twists like that at viewers.

Boke1879

Terrible. The entire episode was so silly. Whatever was special about this series is long dead and gone. All that's left is the rotting corpse being animated by improved special effects. Yes, I'll be back next week. Fuck.

Nah the series right now is at it's best imo. It's cut out a lot of the filler. Only thing I don't like right now is this Arya/Sansa plot point but I'm hoping.

RDreamer

Not that, that would be one of those issues that I agree with.

Well, I mean if they had taken their time and plotted out things I don't think it would have veered as much into conventional fantasy as it is now. At the beginning of the season and even sort of still now there's a lot of the Game of Thrones politics going on. They're focusing a lot more on the action and fantastical though.

I think we were always headed to a more fantasy ending, though, and I'm totally cool with that. I just didn't think they'd abandon so much that made me love the show in order to trade for that.

Is it possible the Night King has a mole in Westeros?

I just find it really hard to believe he knew Dany was coming with dragons.

I always thought varys was with god of light and littlefinger was plotting for night king. Was just my suspicion lately because it seems like the two have had long ancient battles.

reKon

Banned
Enjoyable episode I guess, but the last second saves really irked me. They need to cut it out and not do that shit for the remainder of the series.

Writing was all over the place. Alos, I'm not going to say that characters/ravens seem like they're teleporting, but the time adjustments are really throwing me off. They know they are limited with time, but they put the characters and plot in a situation where time has to advance all in a sudden and it fucks up the pacing of everything.

Night King is another level like he's a MLG Starcraft Pro. 12 steps ahead and now hacked the game to introduce a hero unit.

FiggyCal

Banned
So, I don't comment on these GOT threads very often (too busy watching/loving this show), and I certainly haven't criticized the "fast travel" before either. It can be kinda wierd/distracting at times, but only because things are happening more quickly than you expect they would. These characters have traveled very quickly all over Westeros seemingly in the span of seconds, but in reality you know they spent days/weeks getting where they needed to go, and frankly, we don't need to see that shit anymore. It's fine, it mostly makes sense, and it saves us precious time as viewers, IMO.

However, what happened in this episode was unbelievably dumb, and kind of a "jump the shark" moment for the show. We're meant to believe that Gendry traveled however many miles back to Eastwatch, sent a raven to Deny that had to fly however many hundreds/thousands of miles to reach her, and then she flew her dragons hundreds/ thousands of miles out to where the "Magnificent 7" were, all in... what, one or two days??? It's so stupid. Also, even if the Night King could see the future and knew the dragons were coming, why not just kill Jon and co. with his I've javelins and then chill while he waits for the Dragon Ex Macina? It's all just so stupid, it hurts.

I mean, I love this show, and I loved this episode. Epic from start to finish, and jam-packed with things I've waited years to see. The Fellowship of the Thrones making their stand against the White Walkers (and an ice bear), the dragons swooping into save the day, and now Ice Dragons and incest are confirmed! So good! But, the Gendry/raven/Dragon fast travel bullshit was just about the dumbest thing this show has ever done, and a stain on an otherwise epic episode. Also, I don't even know what to make of the Winterfell plot at this point, but I'm trying to wait to see how it plays out before passing judgement. So yeah, just venting a bit.

It's so weird because I've been complaining about fast travelling and time skipping madness since episode 1 of this season and every episode after it. This is legitimately the first episode where it didn't bother me at all. We saw that Jon and company were stranded at the same spot for long enough for basically a full day to pass and then some and we know how fast Dany can travel on her dragons. I think it works this episode.

Vestal

We have been told over and over about the dead coming, about dragons. We have seen the dragons grow, and the dead assemble..

WTF did people expect?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I guess we can stop blaming Bran for the Night King getting over the Wall. Now it's..Tyrion's fault, I guess. Dude should've never suggested this plan.

Is it possible the Night King has a mole in Westeros?

I just find it really hard to believe he knew Dany was coming with dragons.

Night King might well be a greenseer like Bran, or something like it at least. Was able to spot Bran in his Astral Projection and interact with him, plus knocked him out of his ravens a few episodes ago.

Hell, the entire show might just be the Night King spying on the South and Essos to see what he's up against, and being none too impressed. He might know everything we do.

This entire episode could have been better if it was executed better. The outcome was fine though.

It's not much of a calculation considering LF all but came out and told her his plans with his line about Brienne.

Exactly.

I think you're underestimating LF.

It was his intention to plant that seed in her mind. You think that invitation to KL is real? LOL because it's not. He did that all to rid of Brienne.

riotous

Banned
No, Rhaegar is her older brother who was killed before she was even born. Jon might also be older than her too—I'm not sure. Dany's mother was pregnant when Robert's Rebellion broke out and the Mad King had his wife and second son Viserys shipped to Dragonstone for safety.

They are about the same age.

Top Bottom