• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Rixxan

?

Pretty sure he didn't touch the script, D&D did that. The director's main job is to visualize the script and it's actors. Not his fault for the issues with the episode.

I know what a directors role is

My main problem with the episode wasnt the script, it was the shoddy directing

DrBo42

Why is it cheeseball?
We have proof of beasts and men being reanimated. A dragon in this world is just another beast, although they are the greatest.
The NK taking one for himself isn't dumb, lol.

Within the world it makes sense. As a piece of fiction it comes off as an eye roll moment because both of how predictable it is and how convenient the setup was. Dudes have special white walker ice spears all of a sudden? Massive chains to pull it out of the lake? Maybe it's just the way it was handled that bothers me. It doesn't feel like something that HAD to happen for any other reason but spectacle, not substance.

sam12

Again, the spectacle is fine and enjoyable. If that's all you want from this show that's fine but it didn't used to be what this show was about. The writers are being lazy without martin' s work.

It really went down the drain when they deviated from the book

Jon and Co being marooned on that rock was a little silly if all what the zombies feared was the ice breaking. Why couldn't the Night King just spear them, knowing how ridiculously good his aim is?

Since NK was standing so close after spearing viserion, drogon could have simply toasted his ass instead of flying away.

No reaction from Hound, Jorah and Beric after riding a fucking Dragon through Westeros?

Jon Snow fake outs need to end. Dude has a plot armor thicker than anything.

REV 09

Again, the spectacle is fine and enjoyable. If that's all you want from this show that's fine but it didn't used to be what this show was about. The writers are being lazy without martin' s work.
There are literally 7 episodes left...7! Do you really want to watch everyone walk around to and from Kings Landing again? We're wrapping it up folks.

Malvolio

Exactly. Martin uses what his audience wants against them. This entire season has been fanservice. That's not what made me a fan.

Much agreed. It's like watching a popcorn flick. Enjoyable enough, but no depth. This is especially apparent in the later seasons.

Jon and Co being marooned on that rock was a little silly if all what the zombies feared was the ice breaking. Why couldn't the Night King just spear them, knowing how ridiculously good his aim is?

Since NK was standing so close after spearing viserion, drogon could have simply toasted his ass instead of flying away.

No reaction from Hound, Jorah and Beric after riding a fucking Dragon through Westeros?

We Walking Dead now

Diabelli

The reactions of the fellowship to the fucking Night King was a bit underwhelming. You could bet that if that was Sauron they'd all be Frodo'ing the fuck out and seeing visions of death and shit.

This whole plotline with capturing a zombie and the insanely fast travel makes this ep feel disjointed and SUPER dumb.

The epicness of what happens is what saves it but damn, you gotta turn off your brain for this.

Yeah it was enjoyable on one hand for its "epicness" but jarring on the other how it defies not only common sense, but the conventions of reality already established in the show around travel.

I think this outcome of this episode was achievable without being as dumb as it was. The writers aren't being very clever about any of this.

qLzewBV.gif

Of course now but show has gone downhill a while back

Yeah, when it started adapting the bad books? DnD signed up to adapt someone else's work, but GRRM isn't giving them anything to work with so now they need to maintain the same schedule but actually do the heavy lifting of telling a story. Yeah, it's going to take a dip at least. Just the way it is, to be honest.

People who are against Arya. Did you watch the fucking episode? Arya literally told Sansa she can read lies and truths. She knows sansas true intentions. Littlefinger is fucked.

I rewatched that scene again and yeah.... I agree with this. Remember after Arya scared Sansa to death, she handed her the dagger. Whatever that means.

Thought this was the worst episode of the season.

They should have finally utilized Bran and had him see them get attacked so he could contact Dany rather than having Gendry run a damn marathon and get a raven sent all the way from Eastwatch to Dragonstone just like that.

When Dany showed up, Rhaegal and Viserion basically seemed to vanish because of the CGI budget or something, so Dany might as well have shown up with just Drogon, who was also basically useless and sat there on that mound just looking around at everything while Jon got tunnel vision and fucked over the rest of the group.

The under-utilization of dragons during these battles seems ridiculous to me. They learn right then and there that killing the white walkers is the solution to the massive wight army. The entire time they were there with the dragons, the one thought running through everybody but Jon's mind was "we need to get out of here so we can get this wight to Cersie so she can help us kill this army". When in reality, they could have ended everything right then and there by having one of the dragons kill the Night King. Rather than Jon trying to go 1v1 the Night King, he could have shouted at Dany, "hey, that dude up there is controlling all these wights, kill him and we win this whole thing. Hey, he's grabbing a big spear, he might try and throw it at someone." But everybody just stands there and stares in awe as all of this goes down. Dany watches Jon run off when she's on a fucking dragon and could have the dragon fly to him rather than sit there waiting for him to come to the dragon.

And then having fucking Benjen come in out of nowhere just to have Jon hop up on the horse and say, "there's no time". It felt like the writers of the show needed to kill another character they forgot about off before people started questioning his existence. This would have went down a lot better if Rhaegal hadn't vanished into thin air and had saved Jon. That would have been great, and expanded on the connections between Jon and his bloodline like the previous episode did.

The Arya and Sansa stuff is also continuing to be incredibly shitty. I don't care what the intention of the writers is. Robb saw right through that letter. Arya shouldn't have needed to go through this effort. Also, those masks looked dumb as hell.

One thing I find really interesting.

LF gets the scroll from the Winterfell archives. Ok, got it.

Arya steals the scroll. She doesn't know LF is watching her, but she steals it. Ok.

Arya confronts Sansa with the scroll.

Sansa goes to LF and explains that Arya found this scroll, like she's seeking his counsel.

How is it that Arya *doesn't* reveal to Sansa that it was LF who got the scroll in the first place? She obviously suspects that LF is up to something, otherwise why spy on him?

It's almost as if there is indeed some trap being laid by Arya, and it's going to work better if (for now) Sansa doesn't know that she's on to LF.

OrionX

*Tormund suggests fucking to stay warm*

Jon: "But there are no women here."

Tormund: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Best part of the episode. lol

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I am stunned that people didn't like the episode. It's like a huge payoff after 7 years. Seeing the dragons fight the walkers was epic. I felt the early seasons were a bit slow, so I've been enjoying the quicker pacing. Nearly every faction is dead...it's time for the payoffs with who is left.

Pretty much.

It's not all i want, but it's a nice bonus. I still feel it's well written show even with a couple holywood-esque last minute saves, and i feel the show has earned them. they feel legitimately surprising when they happen.

Top Bottom