• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
TFW people still depending on Bran when he doesn't give two fucks about anything due to being in a constant state of mindexplosion.gif
9d5.png

Curious about Bran's agenda at this point now that he can see everything. He's only said that he needs to talk to Jon and pretty much has responded to nothing else.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Worst written GoT episode yet?

That was TWD level bad.

Yeah it bothers me. I'm terribly bothered.

I don't like that I finally get to see some hot dragon on white walker action, and be irritated by it. It wasn't supposed to be like this!

i-dont-know-you-anymore-youre-breaking-my-heart-youre-19088203.png

That was the olde tyme way of knowing it was authentic since only an individual could have access to that stamp. Would LF be able forge a stamp? Maybe.
I just don't understand because Sansa is wondering where Arya got it, not the authenticity of it. Why doesn't she suspect Petyr gave it to her
I think that's the point: He isn't their brother, and he doesn't care.

He's not their "little brother" though.

If he's not their brother, then he's not Brandon Stark. If he's not a Stark, what the fuck is he doing at Winterfell? It's not his home anymore. Why doesn't he just go snuggle up against a tree like the 3 eyed raven is supposed to?

fuck that. He's still Bran. If he doesn't care, why would he tell Sansa that he's "sorry" for the things that happened to her at home. If he doesn't care, why would he look Petyr in the eye and say "chaos is a ladder" as if some 6th sense wasn't telling him that this man betrayed his father

Like Martin wasn't going to do an ice dragon lol.

Lol, if this was confirmed to be something GRRM was going to do "it's all good".
Wankfest.

I just don't understand because Sansa is wondering where Arya got it, not the authenticity of it. Why doesn't she suspect Petyr gave it to her

If he's not their brother, then he's not Brandon Stark. If he's not a Stark, what the fuck is he doing at Winterfell? It's not his home anymore. Why doesn't he just go snuggle up against a tree like the 3 eyed raven is supposed to?

fuck that. He's still Bran. If he doesn't care, why would he tell Sansa that he's "sorry" for the things that happened to her at home. If he doesn't care, why would he look Petyr in the eye and say "chaos is a ladder" as if some 6th sense wasn't telling him that this man betrayed his father

He's not Bran, he's the 3ER. You saw him say it plenty of times while he was on-screen. He remembers Bran.

Thought this was the worst episode of the season.

They should have finally utilized Bran and had him see them get attacked so he could contact Dany rather than having Gendry run a damn marathon and get a raven sent all the way from Eastwatch to Dragonstone just like that.

See, there you go. That's what I mean the writers are not even trying to be a little bit clever. This would have been so much better. It could explain how the raven arrives at the perfect time and everything. They have the deus ex machinas in place and they're just whiffing every time.

Also, now that Benjen's dead is that all of Rickon Stark's kids gone?

Also, whoever made the point that they should have managed some sort of shot of the crew flying for the first time. It does feel like that's an extremely significant event.

Bran is probably having visions from nearby planets right now. He doesn't give a fuck on wars on a tiny continent.

Also that Benjen's scene was so stupid. "There is no time" No time for what? Just hop on the freaking horse and run away together.

TFW people still depending on Bran when he doesn't give two fucks about anything due to being in a constant state of
If you're referring to my post, I'm just implying that it would have somewhat solved the issue this episode had with Gendry running to Eastwatch, sending a raven to Dragonstone, and having Dany receive the note and fly to where they were when Gendry first started running in the matter of like a day. Plus, we could have seen Gendry fight in that battle with the hammer alongside Jon like they were implying would happen the previous episode.

Kayhan

Exactly. Martin uses what his audience wants against them. This entire season has been fanservice. That's not what made me a fan.

The books drop and readers find out he just did book adaptations of the last seasons of the show to be done with it.

From what we've seen Night King is immune to fire.
Ok, talon his ass. Punch his face. Something.

The magic spearing was just too random. He spears Viserion instead of the one sitting close to him. Then waits for a good while to spear Drogon. Like, does he need to recharge MP before throwing spears? Whatever.

Lol, if this was confirmed to be something GRRM was going to do "it's all good".
Wankfest.

Tbh if HBO and GRRM put out a statement before the season aired that said GRRM consulted and wrote the story for the last two season, I bet we wouldn't be getting half as many complaints–even if it was a complete lie.

It's becoming an instance of hating on Season 7 netting you internet cool points.

I dont understand why they write themselves into a stupid ass corner.

They are riding on the fruits of the labour of earlier book content and completely butchering the writing.

Why set it up so that Gendry has to run all the way back? Do they just not see how glaringly head scratching that scenario is?

Bran absolutely should have been the one to send a raven since he can work out the future. It's just so frustrating to see a decent show get sunk by braindead shit like this. I just want to know their thought process/why they did it this way

Alternatively, the show already set up the Dragon bonding with Jon. Just have him "sense" his danger and fly his ass over, with Dany and company in tow.

I hope they don't bring back Taylor for next season. The need to bring back David Nutter, Alex Graves, and Miguel Sapochnik.

Liked the episode but didn't love it. Taylor has gotten worse since direct Hollywood films.

Wankfest.

I mean I have no idea since I've never read the books but the setup has been there in earlier season when I think they were still supposedly following the books and ever since the Night King existed and we knew they brought back the dead. So I pretty much assume it was planned by him. Not sure how that would be a wankfest if it wasn't done just for the audience but was set up all along.

I read fanservice in that post as them doing something just because the audience wanted to see it whether or not Martin or the story set it up, and I don't think that's true.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
If you're referring to my post, I'm just implying that it would have somewhat solved the issue this episode had with Gendry running to Eastwatch, sending a raven to Dragonstone, and having Dany receive the note and fly to where they were when Gendry first started running in the matter of like a day. Plus, we could have seen Gendry fight in that battle with the hammer alongside Jon like they were implying would happen the previous episode.
I feel like Gendry wouldn't have made it.

So you just want bad things to happen? That's predictable.
Basically, the show has earned it's tension due to what came before but now people are borderline outraged that all their favorite characters aren't dying horrible deaths.

Femto.

See, there you go. That's what I mean the writers are not even trying to be a little bit clever. This would have been so much better. It could explain how the raven arrives at the perfect time and everything. They have the deus ex machinas in place and they're just whiffing every time.

Only problem is that Jon doesn't know that Bran is back.

Does he? Correct me if I'm wrong.

He's not Bran, he's the 3ER. You saw him say it plenty of times while he was on-screen. He remembers Bran.
Like I just said, if he's not their brother, then he's not Brandon Stark. If he's not Stark, why the fuck is he at Winterfell? If he's not Bran, then Winterfell is not his home. The 3 eyed raven's home is being part of a tree, that's not where Meera took him.

He's still Bran to me as long as he's with his family

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Exactly. Martin uses what his audience wants against them. This entire season has been fanservice. That's not what made me a fan.

martin isn't a sadist either. sure, plenty of bad things have happened throughout the series, but plenty of good things too. there's balance, like life itself.

Ok, talon his ass. Punch his face. Something.

The magic spearing was just too random. He spears Viserion instead of the one sitting close to him. Then waits for a good while to spear Drogon. Like, does he need to recharge MP before throwing spears? Whatever.
Viserion was the immediate threat, but yeah, that whole scene was dumb.

The Night King was also being incredibly dramatic and doing all of this in slow motion. Meanwhile, there were multiple white walkers there who could have simultaneously thrown the spears and got all the dragons and the whole crew if they wanted to.

Bran's like the main reason they went beyond the wall last episode. He sent that letter out to like everyone warning about the white walkers being close to Eastwatch.

He does. Got a raven at Dragonstone, but doesn't need to anyway. Like Bran would just send the raven at the exact right time, and boom, we're introduced to him kind of harnessing his power and coming out of it, and maybe being able to help after all.

Dany gets the raven, and later Jon is like "How did you know?" "It was your brother." etc...

This is going to be a damn if you do damn if you don't problem with the show going towards the season finale and next season.

At this point, I can't see how Martin's conclusion when bashing all the story threads together wouldn't get this messy, or with that much fan service.

I feel like Gendry wouldn't have made it.

Basically, the show has earned it's tension due to what came before but now people are borderline outraged that all their favorite characters aren't dying horrible deaths.

Or maybe some people just think the writing isn't that good. If you like it, cool. Personally, I think it's enjoyable, but cliche as hell.

The Sansa/Arya sister beef especially.

mokeyjoe

Isn't Martin still in control of the overall story arch?

Yes. The main story beats are the same.

The problem is really that they're rushing g to the finish. What would have been several tense episodes is now over on 10 somewhat nonsensical minutes.

I'm ok with it though. At this point I just want some big battles and an ending. 8 episodes to go.

Like I just said, if he's not their brother, then he's not Brandon Stark. If he's not Stark, why the fuck is he at Winterfell? If he's not Bran, then Winterfell is not his home. The 3 eyed raven's home is being part of a tree, that's not where Meera took him.

Because he has to go back to Winterfell? Why wouldn't he go back?
There's a big Weirwood tree where he can spend day and night tripping balls.
Not to mention he needs to speak to Jon.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Someone tell me again why Arya is picking a fight with her sister instead of killing Cersei.

Because Arya loves Jon and wants to be with him again but she feels Sansa, the sister she never really loved, is trying to betray him. She's a bigger threat to Jon than Cersei is right now.

Yeah, he is definitely Bran. But he is struggling to be Bran. I see him as fluctuating, trying to hold onto what makes him himself. He feels Bran inside. Logically knows he is Bran. But hs so much more than just Bran in his brain at this point.

Femto.

He does. Got a raven at Dragonstone, but doesn't need to anyway. Like Bran would just send the raven at the exact right time, and boom, we're introduced to him kind of harnessing his power and coming out of it, and maybe being able to help after all.

Yeah, to be fair, Bran has been out of the picture and that does feel a little damning. I can kind of understand the upset.

Macka

That episode was pretty terrible. All flash, no substance.

• The plan to capture a wight was always stupid, but they somehow made it even more ridiculous. When The Hound threw the rock and the wights started attacking again...a wall of ten men was somehow keeping a horde of hundreds of zombies at bay. For every swing of Jon and the gang's weapons, they should have been getting stabbed like three times.
  • It's a good thing the Wights didn't have bows. Or spears. Oh, wait.
  • So Gendry ran back to the Wall and sent a raven to Dragonstone, and then Daenerys flew all the way North to save them? Were they sitting in that section of the ice for a fucking week? Because the raven would take at least two days to get to Dragonstone. I know most people in this thread don't seem to care about all of the time inconsistencies, but jfc this was particularly egregious.
  • If Daenerys was willing to rush off to save them...why not just have her dragons be part of the plan in the first place? Like this was always a suicide mission. The smarter plan would have been to fly a dragon up there with a small crew, grab a wight and gtfo out quick. Or better yet - take a prisoner beyond the wall, tie him up, slit his throat and let him change...then take him back. But that's not exciting enough, so the characters have to come up with braindead ideas that put them in dumb action sequences with no weight to them.
  • Surprised they killed off Thoros like that. They could have had him die in much more dramatic fashion given the situation they were in. I'm glad they didn't, because a servant of the Fire God dying from the cold is nice and poetic. Honestly surprised the writers are capable of a death like that at this point.
It's really depressing to see how much the show has fallen. Characters never used to survive ridiculous situations like this. Between Jaime and Bronn a few episodes ago, and Jon's crew this week, Season 7 probably already has the most cliche 'saved in the nick of time' moments of the entire series. And what is with all of the Jon Snow fakeouts? Nobody believed he'd even died for real the first time.

I didn't even mention the horror show that is the Winterfell stuff.

Top Bottom