• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

hobozero

It's still horrific regardless, everything about their scenes just makes me want to stop watching until the next one comes on. Even if they do turn out to be just a ruse to fool Littlefinger or whoever, no one is going to look back on those scenes any more favorably. God, so fucking bad.

It's not that bad, least i don't mind it so much. I am glad they are finally showing some negatives with Arya. For several season's now she's basically been this fan favorite anti hero, and it seems like they are finally stepping up to say, "Look, she's not Ezio Auditore - she can't sleep without muttering a kill list to herself, she feeds people their kids, and wears the faces of her victims." She's basically Hannibal Lector.

I like the fact that she has become a person defined by her hatred of people who have "wronged" her, and that now she's including petty childhood rivalries.

I always wanted her arc to end with realizing she has no place among people, and heading back to Jaqen. But with her being given that dagger and them establishing that only the Night King has to be killed, they are probably going to have her "save the day" at some point, which is super boring. Give me more unhinged serial killer Arya.

For new page because I really do want to see this happen:

HBO should really consider a director's cut/extended cut bluray release as I've mentioned before. Fixes pacing*, restores faith, more revenue, tides us over while we wait for the "delayed" final season. Then add it to tv/stream services a few weeks before the final season. Someone tweet this to them.

*Some areas might be difficult to fix without reshoots...

Aikidoka

This episode sucked. A dragon dying seemed like an obvious thing to happen, but did it really need to happen because of a deus ex machina for the worlds dumbest plan. Everything was pretty contrived.

HBO should really consider a director's cut/extended cut bluray release as I've mentioned before. Fixes pacing*, restores faith, more revenue, tides us over while we wait for the "delayed" final season. Then add it to tv/stream services a few weeks before the final season. Someone tweet this to them.

Dude, keep dreaming. This would be laughable if it wasn't so ridiculous.

Its not a game where they can patch shit, lol.

It's a nice day for a white wedding.

Imagine This:

Cersei invites everyone for an Armistice, but the real plot was to have a wedding with everyone there.

Everyone starts cheering and chanting "Dany Jon, Dany Jon"

Cersei whispers into Jamie's ears that she meant for them to get married, not Dany and Jon. Jaime does his trademark "I don't know" face.

Everyone rejoices. And we get a quick cut of Sansa at Winterfell looking confused because the same thing happened to her when she thought she would be named Queen of the North.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Cersei and Tirion talking about that is still one of my favorite scenes. Absolutely vicious.

Cersei: It has fallen on me.

Tyrion: *Smirking* As has Jaime repeatedly according to Stannis Baratheon.

tenor.gif

So with Bran, what should be happening isn't happening because they want to create false drama? This is stupid.

MrMephistoX

Anyone hoping Viserion and the dragon connection with Targaryans somehow prevents him from killing his brothers and Danny and they lay more eggs? Maybe you need ice and fire to breed dragons and that's why they all died out / stopped laying eggs? What if fire and ice and sex with a raised from the dead dude is the only way Danny can have kids?

So with Bran, what should be happening isn't happening because they want to create false drama? This is stupid.

Really though, Arya will be of benefit but Sansa will be completely useless in the coming war, what does he care? He's downloading info and getting his chess board ready. Sansa shouldn't be his priority, shouldn't even be a moments thought for him as it would be wasted energy.

Heshinsi

Anyone hoping Viserion and the dragon connection with Targaryans somehow prevents him from killing his brothers and Danny and they lay more eggs? Maybe you need ice and fire to breed dragons and that's why they all died out / stopped laying eggs?

No it isn't lol. The doom of Valyria wiped out all the dragons except for the Targaryen dragons. And the Targaryens lost almost all their dragons during the civil war called the Dance of Dragons.

televator

yeah, it's already bad. they just need to have something to do up at winterfell and i'm afraid this is how petyr's story will end

This last ep relly made it apparent that without GRRM's writing to fill things out between plot points, the story can really collapse in on itself. The show writers just don't have the ability for whatever reason to proggress things in a more sensical and elaborate way. They're left with all these characters and there's plot beats to hit, but they get around to it in a dumb straightforward way.

Volimar

Here, go nuts.

http://imgur.com/gallery/0CuVP

This last ep relly made it apparent that without GRRM's writing to fill things out between plot points, the story can really collapse in on itself. The show writers just don't have the ability for whatever reason to proggress things in a more sensical and elaborate way. They're left with all these characters and there's plot beats to hit, but they get around to it in a dumb straightforward way.
yep it really goes to show that this show is genius because GRRM is a genius, not the showrunners. the showrunners had the privilege of adapting one of if not, the most brilliant high fantasy of all time.

But yeah, expecting them to admit error and try to do something about it is laughable.

Actually, the director did admit the passage of time could have been handled better.

It won't happen man, sorry. I know you want it but no amount of backlash or protest or tweets will change what already is, you can only hope that they improve on what's yet to come.

Heshinsi

Recuts happen all the time.
For stuff that hasn't yet released, sure. Adding in scenes left on the cutting room floor for a special edition blu ray copy, sure. I have yet to ever hear about a film or tv show where they went back and shot new scenes to add to the home media release.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Ozzy Man Reviews: Game of Thrones - Season 7 Episode 6

For stuff that hasn't yet released, sure. Adding in scenes left on the cutting room floor for a special edition blu ray copy, sure. I have yet to ever hear about a film or tv show where they went back and shot new scenes to add to the home media release.

Yeah, that's never happening, especially when you consider that they had to bring this season down to 7 episodes because of how demanding it is to make Game of Thrones, now instead of working on season 8 they have to work on season 7 scenes for the Blu-ray? Nah, it ain't happening.

Heshinsi

Ozzy Man Reviews: Game of Thrones - Season 7 Episode 6

Yeah, that's never happening, especially when you consider that they had to bring this season down to 7 episodes because of how demanding it is to make Game of Thrones, now instead of working on season 8 they have to work on season 7 scenes for the Blu-ray? Nah, it ain't happening.
They should have some interns add in some "this amount of time later" cards into some of the scenes, and release a special blu ray called, "GoT Season 7 For God's Sack Time Passes Between Scenes Edition."

duckroll

Lmao. "Restores faith" lol. As if most of the audience isn't loving it and totally on board for more.

This episode sucked. A dragon dying seemed like an obvious thing to happen, but did it really need to happen because of a deus ex machina for the worlds dumbest plan. Everything was pretty contrived.
I'm right there with you. Maybe not outright sucked, but compared to the standards they had set in previous seasons, this has been well below par. Spectacle aside, of course.

i'd rather one of the dragons die and the night king mounts it, over a stupid revelation of Tyrion being another secret Targaryen and having Dany Jon and Tyrion riding all 3 dragons together.

FiggyCal

Banned
yeah, it's already bad. they just need to have something to do up at winterfell and i'm afraid this is how petyr's story will end

I think it ends with him getting killed. Why do you think it's bad?

The writing in general has been sub-par this season, but my only complaint about the Winterfell stuff is that Bran seems completely absent. Which would be fine if he was preoccupied with helping Jon fight the Night King, but we saw that he wasn't. I think if we set Bran aside, the Arya/Sansa/Littlefinger drama is interesting.

I have some small problems with the latest episode, but I think it's the strongest this season.

Einchy

Dragons showing up to save Jon and co = not Deus Ex Machina

Benjen saving Jon = arguably Deus Ex Machina

There was plenty of set up to Dany coming up there, it would've been deus ex machina if we didn't know Gendry got sent back to the wall to call Dany or have been shown the scene with her getting on Drogon to travel North of the Wall. There was plenty of set up there, it didn't happen out of nowhere.

Benjen on the other hand did kinda come out of nowhere because there was arguably no set up for him, sorta. I have seen people say that the campfire we saw at the start was Benjen's but it's not clear if Jon did that to set a trap for the White Walkers or if it was there already and they just flanked them when they found it. So Benjen is a bit of a toss up if it was set up or not.

FiggyCal

Banned

There was plenty of set up to Dany coming up there, it would've been deus ex machina if we didn't know Gendry got sent back to the wall to call Dany or have been shown the scene with her getting on Drogon to travel North of the Wall. There was plenty of set up there, it didn't happen out of nowhere.

Benjen on the other hand did kinda come out of nowhere because there was arguably no set up for him, sorta. I have seen people say that the campfire we saw at the start was Benjen's but it's not clear if Jon did that to set a trap for the White Walkers or if it was there already and they just flanked them when they found it. So Benjen is a bit of a toss up if it was set up or not.

I don't keep track of who directs these episodes, but I agree with you. I think the director could have easily introduced Benjen in the context of the episode. Maybe he notices a trail of dead wights and follows it, or sees Dany's dragons flying, or something to tell us that he's in the area.

I think it ends with him getting killed. Why do you think it's bad?
Because the Winterfell subplot after Jon left feels very rushed and pathetic. If Petyr were to die it should be with more development; his character is Varys-tier, but, I don't think Varys will die this season as he hasn't had much of a role to play, either.
The writing in general has been sub-par this season, but my only complaint about the Winterfell stuff is that Bran seems completely absent. Which would be fine if he was preoccupied with helping Jon fight the Night King, but we saw that he wasn't. I think if we set Bran aside, the Arya/Sansa/Littlefinger drama is interesting.

I have some small problems with the latest episode, but I think it's the strongest this season.
But Bran being completely absent is a big fucking deal though. There are 3 Stark children together and only 2 of them shared screentime with 0 explanation for what the other one was doing.

Benjen was sent by the 3ER to save Bran and Meera last season.

So the theory by another user here, the guy with Drake on a skateboard avatar, whatever his name is. Edit: It was TimeEffect.

That it was Bran who sent UB this time. He also suggested that UB may have been lurking about the whole time since he doesn't have shit else to do but keep a close, but distant eye on the NK.

Maybe when he saw Dragons flying over head he knew shit was going down and rode towards them...

Who knows....

So the theory by another user here, the guy with Drake on a skateboard avatar, whatever his name is.

That it was Bran who sent UB this time. He also suggested that UB may have been lurking about the whole time since he doesn't have shit else to do but keep a close, but distant eye on the NK.

Maybe when he saw Dragons flying over head he knew shit was going down and rode towards them...

Who knows....

I don't think there needs to be an explanation for it - but this fan theory is just another example of the fans coming up with better logic and reasoning to make up for the poor handling of the series this season. Because if this theory is right, it's...a really important scene to show Bran. It would be strange to not include it.

Fanuilos

Careful, you're going to hamper people's argument that episode is shit if you prove they don't know what deus ex machina is.

Aikidoka

Gendry running impossibly the way back to east watch, sending, a raven and having Danny answer in time is all completely ridiculous and happened in a span of like 5 min. And CG is is like the modern day equivalent of old Greek special effects so I think the term applies well enough. Regardless of what you call it, it was dumb.

Where is my Like button

Einchy

Gendry running impossibly the way back to east watch, sending, a raven and having Danny answer in time is all completely ridiculous and happened in a span of like 5 min. And CG is is like the modern day equivalent of old Greek special effects so I think the term applies well enough. Regardless of what you call it, it was dumb.

I'm sorry but none of that has anything to do with deux ex machina.

FiggyCal

Banned

So the theory by another user here, the guy with Drake on a skateboard avatar, whatever his name is.

Who knows....
It technically works, but the problem with a theory like that is that we got no set-up for it. It also still would not explain why Bran didn't warn Dany or Jon about the Dragon that would be killed.

Perhaps Bran is not able to see the future after all? Maybe the director made a mistake in including that wildfire scene last season, because Bran has shown no sign that he can see the future since then.

Fanuilos

It technically works, but the problem with a theory like that is that we got no set-up for it. It also still would not explain why Bran didn't warn Dany or Jon about the Dragon that would be killed.

Perhaps Bran is not able to see the future after all? Maybe the director made a mistake in including that wildfire scene last season, because Bran has shown no sign that he can see the future since then.

Or he doesn't have perfect control of seeing into future. Maybe it's unclear or doesn't give enough context like Melisandre's visions.

I don't think there needs to be an explanation for it - but this fan theory is just another example of the fans coming up with better logic and reasoning to make up for the poor handling of the series this season. Because if this theory is right, it's...a really important scene to show Bran. It would be strange to not include it.

Yeah, they could have very easily just made a long shot of a Raven sitting on a perch or something, so we know Bran is watching.

But for all we know next episode, if they reunite, then Bran might tell Jon it was him (this won't happen, lol.)

It's far more likely that Benjen was just keeping tabs on the WW army on his own.

Yeah, the idea that he has been keeping a close eye on him from a safe distance is completely believable. And if you saw Dragons flying overhead, you'd be rushing to the scene as well if you were Benjen.

FiggyCal

Banned
Or he doesn't have perfect control of seeing into future. Maybe it's unclear or doesn't give enough context like Melisandre's visions.

That would be the consistent answer, but idk. I want Bran to do something useful. He hasn't done jack shit.

Like Melisande has been more significant than Bran so far this season.

Radec

What are the odds that Arya
already killed Littlefinger and is wearing his face the whole time just to know Sansa's true intentions are..

Top Bottom