• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Biske

I mean, it's a series. Of course it's gonna end on a cliffhanger. In case you haven't noticed pretty much every episode, especially season finales end on cliffhangers.

I mean yeah. Its kind of the bedrock of suspense and "look forward to the next season"

Though all cliff hangers arent equal, for sure.

Vashetti

Banned
It's pretty crazy that season 1 premiered on April 17, 2011 while the last book came out in July 12, 2011. It's looking likely that the whole show will be over before he releases the next book.

We shouldn't be too hard on D&D.

They signed on to the show on the assumption they'd be adapting books. They ran out of published material and are now relying on GRRM's cliffnotes for the end of the series.

Biske

They signed on to the show on the assumption they'd be adapting books. They ran out of published material and are now relying on GRRM's cliffnotes for the end of the series.

It's been a fascinating scenario to witness, I suppose its bound to happen more and more with how books are getting snatched up to be made into movies and tv. But for this to take off SO hugely.

And the books to be twiddling their thumbs.

His series will never regain his own steam back in popular culture and he will be powerless to control his own story. Even more so than most adaptations.

Vashetti

Banned
It's been a fascinating scenario to witness, I suppose its bound to happen more and more with how books are getting snatched up to be made into movies and tv. But for this to take off SO hugely.

And the books to be twiddling their thumbs.

His series will never regain his own steam back in popular culture and he will be powerless to control his own story. Even more so than most adaptations.

The same happened with Harry Potter, only four books were released when the first movie came out.

But Rowling was incredibly forthcoming with her time and notes, and was diligent in maintaining her writing pace.

I'm looking forward to the years after the show where I imagine there'll be lot of deconstructions of the whole 'waiting on the books' dilemma.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

I mean, I've been seeing book readers calling D&D the worst show runners ever since season 1. I don't fuck with all that D&D hate.

The season 2 finale with Dany's "visions" in the House of the Undying is exquisitely well shot.
Why has Dany not drawn a mental connection between her vision of the burnt out, snow covered throne room in S2 and the threat of the Walkers beyond the wall?

Vashetti

Banned
Is the finale airing live on Sky Atlantic in the UK tonight?

Yes, as it's done all season.

Same on NowTV (also Sky).

The season 2 finale with Dany's "visions" in the House of the Undying is exquisitely well shot.
Why has Dany not drawn a mental connection between her vision of the burnt out, snow covered throne room in S2 and the threat of the Walkers beyond the wall?

Ssssh, forget the Qarth filler.

Vectorman

Banned
Book readers have only one person to blame really: GRRM was supposed to be done with this shit and he didn't. WoW and ADOS are becoming the Half-Life 3 of books.

Einchy

https://www.artstation.com/wisnutan
wisnu-tan-img-20170827-234505-645.jpg

Plum

What would people's best and worse case final scenes be, assuming it'll be 2019 before the final season?

Best Case: Something happens and we know what happened

Worst Case: Something happens and we don't know what happened

Basically, if they do a Walking Dead the show will have officially jumped the Wall.

Basically, if they do a Walking Dead the show will have officially jumped the Wall.

Edd notices something atop the Wall in first person.
Sees the AOTD, looks up and gets hit by UnViserion, blood starts dripping down the screen.
NK: Woah, takin' it like a champ!
Blurred screen fades to black.
Credits.

Vashetti

Banned

Fuck, you've figured it out.

The Night King is going to trampoline his army over the wall.

Time is fluid in the series now. Could be a few months or a few weeks. Sansa can definitely lead, but Jon is potentially going into war negotiations before telling his subjects that they are now kneeling to a Targ.

That's a bit of a problem, imo. I hope it comes back around and we see the birth of Dark Sansa.

I need to see Dark Sansa realized.

Jesus dude, what do you want Darth Sansa to do? Backstab Jon
or have Danny murdered?

I can't wait for the series to end with Bran waking up right before Robert Bartheon arrives at Winterfell.

I will fight you, don't you dare even make a joke of such travesties :'(

So the real question is, what will release first?

Season 8 or The Winds of Winter?

giphy.gif

I mean, I've been seeing book readers calling D&D the worst show runners ever since season 1. I don't fuck with all that D&D hate.
asoi&f are pretty much the cringiest/worst group of book readers ever though, so that's not surprising ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You guys mentioning that WD finale are killing me. That scene was literally the moment I tapped out and stopped watching the show. I think I may have said "fuck this bullshit" when it happened lol

Biske

The same happened with Harry Potter, only four books were released when the first movie came out.

But Rowling was incredibly forthcoming with her time and notes, and was diligent in maintaining her writing pace.

I'm looking forward to the years after the show where I imagine there'll be lot of deconstructions of the whole 'waiting on the books' dilemma.

I think a neat way to handle it would have been, once they all realized, the books coming out before or along with the show ending wasn't going to happen, would be GRRM to take a step back and be like, look folks, I aint gonna pull it off. So the show and books are gonna be two different things. And then help make some awesome shit for the show.

Or hell, just pause the books, write the shit out of the show, and then get back to the books. He clearly still loves TV so why not?

I dunno how I would handle it if I was a creator and an author, but I imagine I'd want what is now the main part of my work to really shine and make it that way.

But I guess whats clear is that GRRM really didn't have it all nailed down, so perhaps he really did give them as much as he had to work with.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
You can do all of this and more in the Crusader Kings 2 mod.

I have the game, but I've only really played Europa Universalis IV. If it's like that game, I don't think I can handle being left with a 4 year old heir, and not being able to do what I want to do :(

Eleuin

Well I have come to terms with the fact that there will be no satisfactory conclusions today

Besides probably the wall coming down

Is this that new young adult novel film adaptation?

His hands, hardened through years of battle ran through her silvery hair as a chilling breeze ran down Dany's spine. Fear not my Queen, said Jon. I'll brave the winter for the both of us. Slowly removing his layers of wolfs pelt, he place them on her back, the moon light behind her created a shadow over this scarred chest, riddled with wounds from fallen enemies. Placing her hand on his heart, you did give you life for them said Dany. Would, would you give you life for me? she asked.

Okay thats enough.

Einchy

You know, I thought for sure this season would be impossible to go unspoiled since the whole plot leaked earlier in the year. It seems like a lot of people didn't look at that since they also watched the show since the only actual spoilery times were when episode 4 and 6 leaked early, otherwise, it has been easy to dodge spoilers.

Top Bottom