• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

nubbe

What it's actually gonna be.
qs1HEMg.jpg

ovnlMKT.gif

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Just wanna drop in before the finale and say F U to the writers if they leave us on a cliffhanger tonight with what could be a 2 year wait for the final season.

Just don't do it.

Don't.

Nameless

This.

You don't build her up for six seasons, bring her to Westeros in season seven and kill her off that same season.

Season 8? I think she's done in the penultimate or final episode. But until then, she's safe. Way more story to tell with her.

Sure you do. People die before accomplishing their goals all the time. Robb's quest for vengeance was a main plotline for 2/3 of the show and ended just like that, countless story & character threads dying in Frey's hall alongside everyone else.

Dany dying now makes her arc this cool little tragedy of the unbeatable conquerer who lost trying to change the rules of a Game she could'vs won in a heartbeat. Her fatal flaw would be in line with Jorah's assessment that she, "has a gentle heart", way back during the second season. The only reason she's handicapped herself and is even taking this absurd meeting is to avoid killing thousands of innocents and destroying the Kingdom she wants to build.

molnizzle

But this has never been true, you've fallen into the marketing trap.

You don't just randomly kill off characters, it's not satisfying storytelling. For example, Jon and Dany have obviously been in precarious situations, but they have never been in any actual danger.

They are both endgame characters, same as Tyrion, Cersei and Jaime. They will all make it to next season because their arcs as of yet have not come to a satisfying conclusion to be just killed off in the next episode.

Never said anything about random. I would expect for there to be damn good reasons for a character like Daenerys to die. That's part of the appeal, honestly. The megaton twist that would have to accompany it.

SgtCobra

lol you got to make those sacrifices to keep the audience on their toes. We've gotten too comfortable since season 3.

Unless you count Jon's death.
I get what you're saying but there are still ways to keep the audience on their toes, but if they have to kill a protagonist for it to happen then so be it. But please let it happen in a meaningful way that has some impact instead of just killing for the sake of it. From what I've seen and heard lots of people watching want to see deaths because "muh shock value".

Conflicts are still stressful AF because there's no guarantee that these characters will make it out. Like when Tormund was being dragged by those white walkers.
This is one of the ways to do it, I've got to give it to them, that part seriously made me uncomfortable as hell, fuck. Ugh.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Bran has been completely worthless this season except for becoming the creepy guy in a wheelchair.

Hoping he'll actually do something meaningful this episode...

Just wanna drop in before the finale and say F U to the writers if they leave us on a cliffhanger tonight with what could be a 2 year wait for the final season.

Just don't do it.

Don't.

I mean, it's a series. Of course it's gonna end on a cliffhanger. In case you haven't noticed pretty much every episode, especially season finales end on cliffhangers.

OrionX

Just don't do it.

Don't.

Dany: "So we've reached an agreement then?"

Cersei: "Yes, I believe we have." *collective sigh of relief* "Just... one more thing. I'd like to introduce you all to Qyburn's latest invention."

Jaime: "Cersei NO!"

*cuts to black as gunshots ring out* :(

Sure you do. People die before accomplishing their goals all the time. Robb's quest for vengeance was a main plotline for 2/3 of the show and ended just like that, countless story & character threads dying in Frey's hall alongside everyone else.

Subverting story expectations early to mid-way through to shift emphasis to other characters is fine, Ned's death and the Red Wedding enhanced Jon/Sansa/Arya's stories. At some point though, the narrative tension has to be released, they can only subvert it so many times with random deaths until the audience stops investing in the characters/story.

BTA

Just don't do it.

Don't.

Oh, wow, I hadn't realized it would be even longer than normal between now and the final season.

Yeah, I'm totally expecting a ridiculous cliffhanger that I'll be annoyed by till then.

Bran has been completely worthless this season except for becoming the creepy guy in a wheelchair.

Hoping he'll actually do something meaningful this episode...
Even if he does something this episode, it won't make up for his absence in the last episode.

Edit: sorry for double post

Ydelnae

Just don't do it.

Don't.

If the final season is not premiering until late 2019, they should get a 90min special ready for next year, in my opinion. I liked how Sense8 did it when the second season took too long to premiere.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It's pretty crazy that season 1 premiered on April 17, 2011 while the last book came out in July 12, 2011. It's looking likely that the whole show will be over before he releases the next book.

If Sansa/Arya kills each other, it would be the dumbest death in the series. I hope is some kind of masterplan to trick littlefinger or something, because otherwise leading this nonsensical drama to that point would be stupid.

It's pretty crazy that season 1 premiered on April 17, 2011 while the last book came out in July 12, 2011. It's looking likely that the whole show will be over before he releases the next book.

At this point I doubt Martin is gonna end the book series before his death.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Thats a guarantee. 2 books to go. 1 season of TV to go.

Top Bottom