• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

That's a tall order. S6 finale was practically perfect.
I know. But season 6 was also original content, along with this season. When was the last time
most if not all of the main characters were in the same place at the same time?

I think the answer is never. So this will be the first time.
I have high hopes for it. The more I think about it, the more I realize how epic 82 minutes worth of material could be.
It's 82 minutes counting the opening and ending credits though, right? So it's probably closer to 75 minutes

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Killing off a protagonist earns your respect? lol
I think people missed the plot of what made those earlier deaths so memorable and notable in the first place and just expect the bad guys to win every conflict now.

I know. But season 6 was also original content, along with this season.
When was the last time most if not all of the main characters were in the same place at the same time?

I'm going to put a damn spoiler tag on part of your post because I'm pretty sure it's taken from the preview and for those of us who don't watch previews it's pretty damn annoying.

this_guy

It's 82 minutes counting the opening and ending credits though, right? So it's probably closer to 75 minutes

No I think it's a full 82 minutes. Loot Train battle episode was listed at 50 minutes, but it was a full hour showing when the recap, credits, and the next week episode preview were factored in.

Dany won't die yet. But I do think she will die next season. There's just been too many hints about no successor and can't have children etc...

I think after she dies, That's when it will be revealed that Jon is the last Targaryian.

molnizzle

I think people missed the plot of what made those earlier deaths so memorable and notable in the first place and just expect the bad guys to win every conflict now.

No, I just want to be surprised. Part of what attracted me to the show was that no characters were safe. You never knew what was going to happen, conflicts were stressful.

nubbe

Dany won't die yet. But I do think she will die next season. There's just been too many hints about no successor and can't have children etc...

I think after she dies, That's when it will be revealed that Jon is the last Targaryian.

Jon and Dany need to find out they are related while they are in bed

Hi guys,

Never bothered to stream it live, but my wife is gonna kill me if I don't do it for the saeson finale.

It will air in about 2 hours right? I have Amazon Prime, will it air at the same time online (HBO-Prime)?

Vashetti

Banned
No, I just want to be surprised. Part of what attracted me to the show was that no characters were safe. You never knew what was going to happen, conflicts were stressful.

But this has never been true, you've fallen into the marketing trap.

You don't just randomly kill off characters, it's not satisfying storytelling. For example, Jon and Dany have obviously been in precarious situations, but they have never been in any actual danger.

They are both endgame characters, same as Tyrion, Cersei and Jaime. They will all make it to next season because their arcs as of yet have not come to a satisfying conclusion to be just killed off in the next episode.

Ydelnae

This.

You don't build her up for six seasons, bring her to Westeros in season seven and kill her off that same season.

Season 8? I think she's done in the penultimate or final episode. But until then, she's safe. Way more story to tell with her.

Well, you don't spend 5 seasons building Arya as an assassin with a kill list to follow only to ignore it the moment she gets the chance to play hide and seek at Winterfell neither lol

Kalor

Even with last week's faults I'm excited for tonight. Partly because I have no idea what will happen when at least with the previous episodes you could make a guess. The white walkers will probably make it past the wall at the end of the episode but who knows beyond that.

Vashetti

Banned
Well, you don't spend 5 seasons building Arya as an assassin with a kill list to follow only to ignore it the moment she gets the chance to play hide and seek at Winterfell neither lol

Well they telegraphed she's killing Melisandre next season.

Melly told her she'd meet her again and she told Varys she'll return to Westeros for a third time to die.

Well they telegraphed she's killing Melisandre next season.

Melly told her she'd meet her again and she told Varys she'll return to Westeros for a third time to die.

Actually, looking back at that scene something I wondered, why is varys so cold towards her? Don't come back, etc. He wants her gone, and he clearly doesn't like her.

I wonder if we'll ever find out what that one red priestess whispered to him a couple seasons back and if his dislike for Meli has anything to do with her also being a servant of the LoL.

Edit:

Now it finally clicked why she told him he would die, because he was being a dick to her. So as a fuck you in return she shook him a little.

At first I felt the comment was so pointless, but it wasn't, It was a jab.

FiggyCal

Banned
Actually, looking back at that scene something I wondered, why is varys so cold towards her? Don't come back, etc. He wants her gone, and he clearly doesn't like her.

I wonder if we'll ever find out what that one red priestess whispered to him a couple seasons back and if his dislike for Meli has anything to do with her also being a follower of the LoL.

Varys doesn't trust magic users after what happened to him as a kid.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Hi guys,

Never bothered to stream it live, but my wife is gonna kill me if I don't do it for the saeson finale.

It will air in about 2 hours right? I have Amazon Prime, will it air at the same time online (HBO-Prime)?

If only. >:

5 more hours to go.

nubbe

That isn't magic. Dragon's are just creatures in this universe.

He doesn't trust the priestesses because of what was done to him.

Dragons enhanced magic
The warlock in the House of the Undying said magic had grown stronger since the dragons were born

That isn't magic. Dragon's are just creatures in this universe.

He doesn't trust the priestesses because of what was done to him.

Magic, occasionally referred to as "the higher mysteries" is a powerful but little understood force in the world. In Westeros it is believed, particularly by the Maesters of the Citadel, that magic, if it ever existed, is now gone from the world. Only one in every hundred Maesters, Luwin among them, bother to study the subject long enough to earn a Valyrian steel link for their chains. Nevertheless, in Essos, magic is still practiced, particularly in the eastern corners of the continent, although its effects and the power of its practitioners are frequently questioned.

In any event, with the rebirth of dragons, magic (or at least eastern magic) seems to be slowly making its way back into the world. Charlatans have found that their tricks are becoming spells, while the power of established practitioners has begun to rapidly and greatly increase.

Dragons have a strong connection to magic, and magic is strongest in their presence, even more so the stronger they are

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Magic

My theory is that magic in Westeros just ebs and flows over time. When there's enough magic things like dragons and white walkers start coming back, and all the "superstitious hogwash" and "pious bullshit" of mages and priests starts inexplicably working again.

So, dragons might be a natural part of the world, but when there's no magic around they just sort of dwindle away; that's why, as was pointed out in an earlier season, the dragons in Westeros just started getting smaller and smaller until they vanished.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Conflicts are still stressful AF because there's no guarantee that these characters will make it out. Like when Tormund was being dragged by those white walkers.

Matsukaze

Conflicts are still stressful AF because there's no guarantee that these characters will make it out. Like when Tormund was being dragged by those white walkers.
I legit said aloud "Help him, you fucks!" when it seemed like no one was making a move toward him.

They got me good with that one.

But this has never been true, you've fallen into the marketing trap.

You don't just randomly kill off characters, it's not satisfying storytelling. For example, Jon and Dany have obviously been in precarious situations, but they have never been in any actual danger.

They are both endgame characters, same as Tyrion, Cersei and Jaime. They will all make it to next season because their arcs as of yet have not come to a satisfying conclusion to be just killed off in the next episode.

Jaime and Cersei could easily (both) end by this episode, what are you talking about? Her going mad queen and getting killed by Jaime is the most likely scenario that could easily happen tonight. With Tyrion I agree normally, but his role has been to be a bumbling idiot all season for some reason. :\

Will we see Edmure Tully this episode? Thoughts?

giphy.gif

Speely

Banned
What's crazy to me is that Jon, the King in the North, will probably be going into war negotiations while just kinda hoping that Sansa has kept his realm together since he was gone.

That's kinda fucked.

FiggyCal

Banned
What's crazy to me is that Jon, the King in the North, will probably be going into war negotiations while just kinda hoping that Sansa has kept his realm together since he was gone.

That's kinda fucked.

I think we had a lot of set up to show that Sansa could be a good leader, or at least people would listen to her. But yeah, Jon's been gone for how long exactly? A few months?

nubbe

That's kinda fucked.

Northerners are loyal and honorable people that would rather die than break an oath
ahahahahaha

OrionX

I legit said aloud "Help him, you fucks!" when it seemed like no one was making a move toward him.

They got me good with that one.

I was worried the first time, but the second viewing had me wondering what was stopping the wights from just eating his face off. I guess they were too mesmerized by that beautiful ginger beard.

Speely

Banned
I think we had a lot of set up to show that Sansa at least could be a good leader, or at least people would listen to her. But yeah, Jon's been gone for how long exactly? A few months?

Time is fluid in the series now. Could be a few months or a few weeks. Sansa can definitely lead, but Jon is potentially going into war negotiations before telling his subjects that they are now kneeling to a Targ.

That's a bit of a problem, imo. I hope it comes back around and we see the birth of Dark Sansa.

I need to see Dark Sansa realized.

You could say that about any of the 50~ minute episodes too though.
Yeah I realized that at the end of last episode. I thought runtime was not counting credits
But that's been the case for the beginning and middle of this saga. Last season, Jon beat Ramsay and took Winterfell back. The good guys won. After 6 seasons of watching them suffer, it's satisfying as fuck to see things finally going their way.

If the whole show was just the good guys suffering the whole time, there's no payoff to it.
I'm going to put a damn spoiler tag on part of your post because I'm pretty sure it's taken from the preview and for those of us who don't watch previews it's pretty damn annoying.
My bad, I wasn't thinking about that when I wrote it. I put the spoiler tags in now
No I think it's a full 82 minutes. Loot Train battle episode was listed at 50 minutes, but it was a full hour showing when the recap, credits, and the next week episode preview were factored in.
i guess we'll find out.

Top Bottom