• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

roytheone

Question me and a friend had:

Is there a difference in effectiveness between dragon glass and valyrian steel when fighting white walkers? We assumed valyrian steel is better, but has that ever been clarified?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Is there a difference in effectiveness between dragon glass and valyrian steel when fighting white walkers? We assumed valyrian steel is better, but has that ever been clarified?

It hasn't.

But just speaking from size, Valyrian Steel swords are full swords, while dragonglass is just small chunks, unless they smith it but we don't know if that's possible yet. No one knows how to forge Valyrian Steel, either, so while dragonglass is plentiful now, Valyrian Steel swords are extremely limited.

aBarreras

It hasn't.

But just speaking from size, Valyrian Steel swords are full swords, while dragonglass is just small chunks, unless they smith it but we don't know if that's possible yet. No one knows how to forge Valyrian Steel, either, so while dragonglass is plentiful now, Valyrian Steel swords are extremely limited.

i mean, didnt they reforged Ice into two swords?

i dont think that no one knows how to forge, i feel it is that valyrian steel is really rare material

My new prediction, which has probably already been thrown around. They capture an undead, bring it back to Cersei, something goes wrong (shocker), Cersei ends up turning into an Ice Queen, making the undead battle next season take place from both sides.

If they capture a wight, that won't be possible as they're just brainless snow zombies. But I can't imagine they're going to capture a White Walker, which is the only creature that can turn others into wights or White Walkers. They're too powerful, and John's blade is the only thing that can stop them (unless Berric's flaming magic blade also works). I just think it'll be too silly to get a full on White Walker into a cage and transport it probably a thousand miles to King's Landing.

i dont think that no one knows how to forge, i feel it is that valyrian steel is really rare material

You are correct; the problem with Valyrian Steel is purely down to how rare it is.

Einchy

There's 2 people, if I remember correctly, that knows how to re-forge Valyrian Steel into new Valyrian Steel weapons but no one actually knows how to forge new Valyrian Steel.

Addi

It's interesting that great houses disappear one after the other. The Lannisters might be the last one to fall and a Stark/Targaryen family could be the last one standing. They could rule over Westeros as one Kingdom, not 7. Not necessarily because they want it like that, but because that's what left after the carnage.

the handling of this season just screams to me that the show confederate is going to be MEH

They probably had a hard on shooting the scenes where Dany saves slaves and wanted to do more of that....

-griffy-

Banned

Seems like they more or less do the same thing:

556bb676378caf0d670e4d50_jon-snow-white-walker.gif

meera-spear.gif

sam-slayer.gif

sam-slayer-3.gif

sam-white-walker-gif_470x264.gif

-griffy-

Banned
I like to think that after Sam of all people managed to stab a walker in the back, they collectively were like "I guess we should start wearing armor or something."

Einchy

The only question is if Jon's sword would have been just effective if it only glanced the wight. Dragonglass is basically shown to be instantly lethal no matter what.

Ah, I was wondering this as well so I paid attention to this during Hardhome and nope. Valyrian Steel doesn't seem to do anything different to Wights.

tubster68

How the heck did Tyrion know that Jamie was still alive and didn't drown from that water. Seems kind of a risky move to go to Kings Landing with just an assumption that he's still alive no?

Addi

How the heck did Tyrion know that Jamie was still alive and didn't drown from that water. Seems kind of a risky move to go to Kings Landing with just an assumption that he's still alive no?

Probably the same way the Maesters of the Citadel knew the Tarlys were executed. Time passes between scene and info is spread in Westeros. A defeated Jaime returning to King's Landing was probably big news.

OrionX

I'm beginning to worry that Jon growing close to Dany's dragons makes her more expendable. If Cersei ends up killing my Queen I'm officially done with her.

Timbuktu

It can't be that hard to defeat the white walkers. Any wound will outright shatter them into a million pieces.

Does the dragon glass have to cut them or just touch them? Otherwise they could just grind the dragon glass into powder and scatter some into the wind in front of them.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Rewatched that Jon x Drogon scene.....honestly it might be one of my favorites of this season.

Same way Cerci knew that Jaime was meeting with Tyrion by way of Bron......

You see, it's a TV show and....

Rewatched that Jon x Drogon scene.....honestly it might be one of my favorites of this season.

I sometimes can't believe this is a television show.
jon-dragon-dany.gif

Everything about Drogon is mindblowing.

Same way Cerci knew that Jaime was meeting with Tyrion by way of Bron......

You see, it's a TV show and....

Eh, not the same. Cersei has a spy network by way of Qyburn. The little birds operate under Qyburn, it's not that far fetched to assume that she got the information from him.
Tyrion knowing about Jaime though, I haven't a clue.

RDreamer

He didn't just show up there. The meeting was arranged and set up through Bronn. I'm guessing Tyrion has a way to get messages to Bronn. They were bros for a while, so that's not implausible. He obviously didn't know Bronn was still alive but whatever contacts he might have to get a message to him would find out and know.

effzee

The more I think about, the less I like this episode. Has nothing to do with pacing or teleportation, but just simply plot choices which make no sense.

The next two hopefully be amazing to wipe this one from memory.

pablito

So anyone in that group that isn't Jon, Jorah and The Hound is dead, right?

I wanna say Jon, Gendry and The Hound are safe. Them being gone for seasons to come back, go up there and die? Lame. And after that convo in the cave, I want to see Gendry and Jon kick a little ass together. It'll be the closest thing to Robert and Ned we'll see until they decide to do Robert's Rebellion, if ever.

Probably the same way the Maesters of the Citadel knew the Tarlys were executed. Time passes between scene and info is spread in Westeros. A defeated Jaime returning to King's Landing was probably big news.

After the series is over, someone is going to re-edit the whole series into chronological order and add captions saying "2 weeks later" or something like that. I guarantee it.

televator

You know what would be a super mind blowing twist? If operation kidnap a wight goes butter smooth, everyone lives, and the mag 7 hit up a tavern and shoot the shit telling tall tales and joking around.

pablito

You know what would be a super mind blowing twist? If operation kidnap a wight goes butter smooth, everyone lives, and the mag 7 hit up a tavern and shoot the shit telling tall tales and joking around.

If you think about it, yep. We're complaining about fanservice stuff, Bronn not dying, less consequences. That stuff is true, but in a way it's kind of a twist in itself; that the show isn't doing the twists that it's known for.

It hasn't.

Most likely Valyrian Steel is forged with dragonglass as an ingredient since dragonglass would inherently be more brittle than a standard steel weapon. Just have to find the information on how it's forged. It could very well be contained in the old scrolls/books that Sam grabbed.

Surfinn

Honestly after watching TWD and FTWD (haven't seen the newest season yet) and other shows that have cratered, this season is an absolute godsend, even with its flaws. At the end of the day, it's a thoroughly satisfying show. I hope they keep the magic going until it's done.

It's difficult for me to believe that people actually have more complaints than praise at this point

aBarreras

If you think about it, yep. We're complaining about fanservice stuff, Bronn not dying, less consequences. That stuff is true, but in a way it's kind of a twist in itself; that the show isn't doing the twists that it's known for.

yeah, i have a friend that is not liking the show anymore for its lack of plot twists.

and im like, if you only liked it for the plot twists, then the show isnt that good

Surfinn

yeah, i have a friend that is not liking the show anymore for its lack of plot twists.

and im like, if you only liked it for the plot twists, then the show isnt that good

Yeah twists don't make a show. They can enhance it for sure but you've gotta have all the other shit down for a twist to even be fun.

I don't care if the huge twists are relatively minimal from this point forward, if the quality is as high as it's been.

I'll take less twists/consistent quality any day.

Top Bottom