• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

zsynqx

hehe

DHSELNwXYAEiAT0.jpg:large

Saganator

So anyone in that group that isn't Jon, Jorah and The Hound is dead, right?

I have a feeling Jorah is going to die north of the wall. Too many lingering shots of him last episode. Especially when he was getting on the boat and looked back at Daenerys. I like him and all the characters on that A-Team, but I doubt they're all coming back :(

So anyone in that group that isn't Jon, Jorah and The Hound is dead, right?

Yeah I think so. Beric and Thoros are very expendable characters, Gendry was a loose thread that was tied up, Thormund's only real role at the moment is to be the face of the Wildlings who haven't been incredibly relevant, The Hound still has the issues with his brother to resolve, Jorah is only just back after a trek to cure Greyscale (honestly, I could see him living until the penultimate or final episode of the series; I could very much see him plotting to kill Jon or Daenerys at some point after the two inevitably hook up), and Jon is certainly not going to die given that he's the closest thing to a main character at this point.

I think it'd be more shocking if anybody (who isn't those three) survive than if they die. Beric, Thoros, Gendry, and Thormund are all very expendable characters right now whose purpose has largely expired. I could see Thoros possibly surviving to be a priest of the Lord of Light who is still in Jon's company until Melisandre returns, but I definitely think Beric, Gendry, and Thormund won't make it out alive.

aBarreras

Yeah I think so. Beric and Thoros are very expendable characters, Gendry was a loose thread that was tied up, Thormund's only real role at the moment is to be the face of the Wildlings who haven't been incredibly relevant, The Hound still has the issues with his brother to resolve, Jorah is only just back after a trek to cure Greyscale (honestly, I could see him living until the penultimate or final episode of the series; I could very much see him plotting to kill Jon or Daenerys at some point after the two inevitably hook up), and Jon is certainly not going to die given that he's the closest thing to a main character at this point.

I think it'd be more shocking if anybody (who isn't those three) survive than if they die. Beric, Thoros, Gendry, and Thormund are all very expendable characters right now whose purpose has largely expired.

the fuck is this? did he plot to kill dany or dario?

that's not going to happen

Possibly not, and as you mention it's not been an issue with her previous lovers, but with the end-game clearly in sight and Jorah still relevant, his love for Daenerys still an important factor and a potential conflict with Jon in that area looming (with a much higher threat of permanency with him than any of her previous lovers [ignoring Drogo, but when that began, Jorah was not yet in love with her]) there aren't many ways for him to be play a large role in what's to come aside from him giving his life for her at some point, or him coming into conflict with Jon over his feelings for Daenerys. It's possible it'll simply end up with him leading the Queen's Guard, but I would find it very surprising if the series ends and him not saying anything further* to her about his on-going feelings.

*I should clarify, not say anything in a context that isn't him facing certain death as it was when he was sent away to find the cure.

That was before he was given false hope. When Dany sent him away to "find a cure" she basically thought she'd chased the puppy off the farm - he was never coming back in her opinion.

Now he's back, expecting what's "his" and that will grate on him.

Doomsayer

Honestly after watching TWD and FTWD (haven't seen the newest season yet) and other shows that have cratered, this season is an absolute godsend, even with its flaws. At the end of the day, it's a thoroughly satisfying show. I hope they keep the magic going until it's done.

It's difficult for me to believe that people actually have more complaints than praise at this point

Honestly, I can kind of understand the complaints because the show now is completely different from when it started. I personally think the show is still firing on all cylinders but I can see how people who were big fans of the political chess aspect aren't really into the whole "blockbuster" spectacles we've been seeing lately.

Really looking forward to this next episode.

Bii

I think it'd be more shocking if anybody (who isn't those three) survive than if they die. Beric, Thoros, Gendry, and Thormund are all very expendable characters right now whose purpose has largely expired. I could see Thoros possibly surviving to be a priest of the Lord of Light who is still in Jon's company until Melisandre returns, but I definitely think Beric, Gendry, and Thormund won't make it out alive.

I don't think you fully thought through Gendry's purpose in all of this.

Out of the all the squad I think the Hound and Jon are going to survive.
Tormund(who is the only Wildling representative) and Gendry(who just came back) may also survive, but I'm pretty much certain Beric and Thoros are finished.

But if Gendry dies an episode after he came back, especially after hyping up his hammer skills..
giphy.gif

Gin-Shiio

Possibly not, and as you mention it's not been an issue with her previous lovers, but with the end-game clearly in sight and Jorah still relevant, his love for Daenerys still an important factor and a potential conflict with Jon in that area looming (with a much higher threat of permanency with him than any of her previous lovers [ignoring Drogo, but when that began, Jorah was not yet in love with her]) there aren't many ways for him to be play a large role in what's to come aside from him giving his life for her at some point, or him coming into conflict with Jon over his feelings for Daenerys. It's possible it'll simply end up with him leading the Queen's Guard, but I would find it very surprising if the series ends and him not saying anything to her about his on-going feelings.

Jorah has made his feelings clear already, and also his intentions. He doesn't want to be with Dany; all he wants is to serve her. He loves her because being by her side as her knight gives his life meaning and allows him to redeem himself for the sins he conmitted and was banished for.

Surfinn

Honestly, I can kind of understand the complaints because the show now is completely different from when it started. I personally think the show is still firing on all cylinders but I can see how people who were big fans of the political chess aspect aren't really into the whole "blockbuster" spectacles we've been seeing lately.

Really looking forward to this next episode.
There isn't political chess happening..? There have always been blockbuster spectacles

Gendry really should be back in Winterfell or Dragonstone making Dragonglass Weapons.

Do we know if his hammer will even have an effect on the Undead?

Or any of the other guys there not wielding flaming swords or Valyrian Steel?

BumRush

Gendry really should be back in Winterfell or Dragonstone making Dragonglass Weapons.

Are they trying to finish the wights or just fend them off while they capture one?

-griffy-

Banned

His hammer is probably their best weapon against the regular wights, as it will smash them to pieces. As far as we know dragonglass and Valyrian steel have no notable effect on wights, it just chops them up same as regular weapons. It's the white walkers themselves that are vulnerable.

OldRoutes

You can 'kill' Undead with a normal weapon, just not the White Walkers.

Doomsayer

There isn't political chess happening..? There have always been blockbuster spectacles

Not to the same degree as the first three seasons especially. I think it's a pretty natural progression for the show. I might be in the minority when it comes to that though.

Kayhan

Gendry is being set up to forge dragon glassweapons for sure.

They could swerve of course but I doubt it.

I hope they don't kill off my man Jorah and the Hound. The Hound needs to meet with Arya first as does Gendry.

And Tormund needs to hook up with Brienne. Awwww shit he is going to die and come back as a walker only to be permanently put down by Brienne, isn't he? Sorry guys, I know I spoiled it.

aBarreras

That was before he was given false hope. When Dany sent him away to "find a cure" she basically thought she'd chased the puppy off the farm - he was never coming back in her opinion.

Now he's back, expecting what's "his" and that will grate on him.

yikes. i dont think that was danearys expectation

dem

Anyone else like "Hey guys.. put on a fucking toque!" before they went into the north?

Their ears are gonna fall off

emag

What happened to the Brotherhood Without Banners? Are Beric, Sandor, and Thoros the only survivors?

And are all of the Second Sons still back at Mereen?

Kayhan

Anyone else like "Hey guys.. put on a fucking toque!" before they went into the north?

Their ears are gonna fall off

This.

And named soldiers go into battles without helmets so the viewers can easily recognize them. Jon at the Battle of the Bastards: "Helmet? What that?"

And why isn't Dany wearing armor to battle? "Hold up Drogon, let me put on my finest evening gown"

Muh realism you hack show.

televator

What if... what if they can turn Longclaw into a flaming sword?

Maybe it becomes Valyrian plasma and looks just like a light saber.

Okay, let's rank them by most probable to die:

1. Beric (99% gonna die) - I think he shares some secrets with Jon about dying and reviving, finds his purpose during this expedition, and embraces his final fight.

2. Thoros (80% gonna die) - It makes a lot of sense for him to go with Beric, since they're a bit of a pair. Maybe Thoros sticks around to be Jon's new cleric and raise him from the dead for now on.

3. Tormund (40% gonna die) - I guess he's not super necessary, but he should probably stick around so the Wildlings remain under control. Plus, he's swaggy as fuck and has unfinished business with "the big girl". I give him just under coin flip odds to come back from the trip.

4. Jorah (30% gonna die) - He wouldn't have that huge return journey just to die here. I guess it could be possible if he does something for Dany in the process of dying, like sacrificing himself for Jon and the greater good. Not likely though.

5. The Hound (15% gonna die) - C'mon, we all see the The Mountain vs The Hound match up on the horizon. Once they get their pet White Walker to bring back for Cersei to see, it's inevitably gonna set up the confrontation between the two. He's gotta make it back for that alone. Or if he dies out here, it's gonna be something used to kill the Mountain later, so he's somewhat avenged.

6. Gendry (10% gonna die) - They literally just brought him back into the fold. What would be the point in doing that just for him to be fodder. Especially in a truncated season, that would be such a colossal waste of time. He's got a bright future ahead, I believe.

7. Jon (0.00001% gonna die) - I'd be super pissed.

-griffy-

Banned
Theory: Beric dies and somehow imbues Longclaw with flaming sword ability, thereby making Jon one step closer to being the true Prince That Was Promised.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Not to the same degree as the first three seasons especially. I think it's a pretty natural progression for the show. I might be in the minority when it comes to that though.

This is the show's natural arc. As Jon and Dany came more and more into the main focus the show would naturally start following the logic of their plotlines instead of the King's Landing one.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Okay, let's rank them by most probable to die:

1. Beric (99% gonna die) - I think he shares some secrets with Jon about dying and reviving, finds his purpose during this expedition, and embraces his final fight.

2. Thoros (80% gonna die) - It makes a lot of sense for him to go with Beric, since they're a bit of a pair. Maybe Thoros sticks around to be Jon's new cleric and raise him from the dead for now on.

3. Tormund (40% gonna die) - I guess he's not super necessary, but he should probably stick around so the Wildlings remain under control. Plus, he's swaggy as fuck and has unfinished business with "the big girl". I give him just under coin flip odds to come back from the trip.

4. Jorah (30% gonna die) - He wouldn't have that huge return journey just to die here. I guess it could be possible if he does something for Dany in the process of dying, like sacrificing himself for Jon and the greater good. Not likely though.

5. The Hound (15% gonna die) - C'mon, we all see the The Mountain vs The Hound match up on the horizon. Once they get their pet White Walker to bring back for Cersei to see, it's inevitably gonna set up the confrontation between the two. He's gotta make it back for that alone. Or if he dies out here, it's gonna be something used to kill the Mountain later, so he's somewhat avenged.

6. Gendry (10% gonna die) - They literally just brought him back into the fold. What would be the point in doing that just for him to be fodder. Especially in a truncated season, that would be such a colossal waste of time. He's got a bright future ahead, I believe.

7. Jon (0.00001% gonna die) - I'd be super pissed.

Jon could actually die in the next episode - only to be resurrected again by Thoros.

Top Bottom