• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

I don't know why but the thought never even occurred to me the Night King would actually be riding the Dragon. When I saw that he was straight up on that thing I freaked out a little bit

Sane_Man

I don't understand, what did Therion say to Cersi if she's just going to back off right after the meeting they had? Looks like a betrayal is coming. Why else would Cersi say "fuck that" right after she agrees.

They would destroy Tyrion's character completely if they go through with that I don't buy it, but he did find out she was pregnant just before the scene ended, so the only possible motive he would have is if he wants to protect the new baby after blaming himself for his other niece/nephew being killed.

It would still be dumb as hell though. Please don't do this.

LotusHD

Banned
tenor.gif

In a show where they kill pregnant women, there are fire spitting dragons, and a walking dead army... people have issues with incest (which btw has been prevalent all through the series)

Lmao, what does dragons and dead armies have to do with that? Seriously, why would anyone have an issue with those things?

As for the pregnant woman dying, I heard that they made that more gruesome than it was in the book?

And lastly, who said I'm only now having an issue with it? Only exception was Cersei and Jaime for obvious reasons, since that's a big part of their relationship and how we're more or less memorably introduced to them. I don't remember every little incest scene, but hey, we know Cersei's down like that, so I got no choice to bear through it, keeping in mind that she of all people obviously has no qualms.

This on the other hand is like... we have a parentage reveal that could've easily prevented it from happening, but nah, we gotta have a juxtaposition between the official reveal and them having sex the first time. They're here first, there's no book to tell them to do this, yet here we are. Not like I'm about to drop the show over this, but I don't see what's so surprising about people not being ecstatic over the writers going down this route. I'm just like "Ugh, so they went there huh"

yukonrye

So the Lord of Light brought Jon back to lead the fight against the White Walkers...which are able to cross the wall because of Jon's boneheand move to ask Dany for help to give them access to a Dragon...which would not have happened if he was dead and there would be no Great War to even worry about.

Show is entertaining as hell to watch as a popcorn flick now, but the plot has entered Homer Simpson simplicity now.
No.

The Lord of Light has a serious incest fetish.

qcf x2

Mediocre finale to a bad season. The Jon/Dany stuff was dumb but you knew these writers couldn't resist.

The Baylish scene was legit good, they turned what looked like a disastrous denoument into a solid scene with a memorable twist.

Cersei is written like fanfic... this whole season was written like fanfic. These characters used to be a little less stoic.

Also shout outs to Baylish, the only dude in the entire series who cared about Catelyn Stark. The Stark kids gush about their dopey father but no mention of missing mama, lol.

Overall the episode flowed like one of those mid-budget, almost B-movie flicks that bombs at the box office. The cuts, the dialogue, even the acting was subpar. And frequently cheesy. Oh well, I've accepted it.

I think part of the Jon / Dany incest thing with the narrating was to show that there could be two legitimate heirs to the throne born in the next year - both products of incest.

The show had that conversation about Dany's infertility for a reason, they had Tyrion address it for a reason - she is 100% having a baby.

Yeah, it's probably conceived.
More centuries of potential mad kings.

End me now.

labx

Banned
Yea, there's no way both Jon and Dany live through this series.

But then again, I thought there was no way half of the group (other than the redshirts) from last episode made it back from Beyond the Wall, and look what happened.

If Dany can have children, She dies and Jon stays alive raising his children/uncles-aunts. If Dany in fact can't have children, Jon dies.

Memento

Fucking Cersei is making very hard for me to keep going on my #TeamCersei crusade.

I was so happy when she accepted the whole deal and talked about joining the war in the north. FUCK. It would be perfect. Everyone together.

WHY GOD WHY

Now they are going to make Arya or Jaime kill her

FUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKK

Loxley

I'm really curious to see what becomes of Jaime now that he's finally woken the fuck up to the fact that his sister is a lunatic and he's bounced out of King's Landing.

sixghost

Welp, looks like I overestimated Littlefinger after all. lmao

How do you figure? The only person to ever get the better of him was a kid that can magically see everything that has ever happened. If all the supernatural elements of the series were removed, he probably would have ended up being as influential and powerful as Tywin was in the early seasons.

Gurrry

so they basically pulled a character out of their ass that we have never seen before.... okay...

its people like you who dont pay attention, then come on here and complain that this is a horrible show and has terrible writing. its not their fault you arent listening.

The longer Bronn stays alive, the more I think he'll be the one to take down Night King. He's the best fighter left, can take down a dragon, and can hit a target with a bow & arrow from a distance (that time he nuked Stanny-boy's fleet).

Also hope instead of NK turning Mountain, Gregor just says fuck it and joins his undead brethren willingly.

jfkgoblue

Yeah, fantastic scene. Seeing snowflakes fall in Kong's Landing really solidifies that we're in the endgame now, and it was very foreboding, since you know that Winter is finally here, along with what comes with it...

Yeah, I actually think that's how it will go down. Jon (should we be calling him Aegon, or maybe even Egg now?) will probably be disguted/disturbed by the whole thing, and Dany will probably be fine with it, since Incest is like a family tradition when it comes to Targs.
But will she cede her claim to the throne?

Name dropping Aegon wasn't something I expected but glad to see it happen. Although that scene was a little forced since Sam wasn't even fucking paying attention to Gilly when she was going over that and they never said whom Rheagar married then but yeah just confirms that Jon... Er Aegon is the rightful air to the 7 kingdoms... and he already bent the knee to his aunt... And then they fucked... With Tyrion watching (lol not really but still). That whole scene should've been Jorah if anything, he pines for Dany more then fucking anyone.

Also Aegon x Dany has been super forced this season >.>

In the end though it was a great finale. I read the spoilers way back when so knew Littlefinger was meant to die but I swear I remember reading that it was Arya who does it while wearing Sansa's face but little details could have changed and I thought they way they did it in a room holding a sudden trial was excellent, he really never saw it coming. It's a shame because as others have said it just felt like the writers really didn't know what to do with him which is unfortunate but I did like the outcome in the end.

Tormund and the other guy should be 100% dead but they aren't we clearly saw them see the wall fall and despite literally having no where to run somehow they'll survive (likely off screen) which is a shame because outside of littlefinger that was a pretty tame finale and season in general. Outside of minor characters like the sand snakes and the Queen of Thorns we didn't have any big deaths this season (again besides littlefinger) which just makes the whole season come off as very safe.

Jamie and/or Bronn should have died in Episode 4
Theon Should have died in Episode 2 (but no hes gotta have a redemption arc, meh)
Tormund and like 3 other people should have died in episode 6

ect. Hell No Gendry at all this episode (unless he was in the background in a scene I missed) and they basically brought him back for absolutely no fucking reason so far. He smashed a few heads in then did nothing beyond the wall besides run to get help and we didn't see him after that.

Arya was the best character this season for me by far, her training duel with Brianne was awesome and she absolutely killed the opening of the season at the Twins. The fighting with Sansa was forced but was clearly setup for the littlefinger payoff in the end so it didn't bother me that much. Only disappointing thing was that we didn't get a chance to see Jo...er Aegon and her Reunion which is the one I wanted to see the most.

Jon was pretty much meh the whole season, while hes been a captivating 'main' character in the past making him King in the North ultimately didn't amount to much outside of putting on an 'equal' level with Dany but even then the northern lords were ready to betray him the moment he left for the south so it felt pretty underwhelming.

Overall the writing was all over the place this season, some really great moments (I thought the Tyrion and Ceseri scene this episode was fantastic) some pretty awful moments. I think this is the first season thats really felt like the writers weren't sure where to get from A To B. They knew what they had to setup this season for the last season (The wall had to come down) and seemed to write the rest of the season around that. Limiting the show to 7 episodes really hurt the pacing in several places (most notable is all of Episode 6 despite having some awesome moments) and combined with having to move the story at a much faster pace since now they are running out of time it just really shows that the show is really strained and I think this season played out in almost a fan fiction kind of way.

Many of the choices they decided to go with this season despite being some great fanservice ultimately made the plot suffer because of it. Gendry didn't need to come back, Sansa and Arya didn't need to fight or fear each other, Littlefinger didn't need to try and forge a wedge between the two sisters, Dany and Jon didn't need to fall for each other, Jorah didn't need to get so easily cured, Cersei didn't need to get pregnant, The Suicide Squad mission didn't need to happen, Theon didn't need to be setup for a redemption arc, ect.

Its not that the season was actually bad, it wasn't and has some of the best moments of the whole series but it should have been a 10 episode season and they should have decided to have another 2 or 3 seasons after this one so they could have time to really pace everything properly. We needed a full season or maybe more of the war between Dany and Cersei and Jon actually being the King in the North instead of just using it as a title. If you went into this season not knowing what was going to happen and I told you after watching last seasons finale that Jon would spend all of 1 episode in Winterfell you'd think I was crazy.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'm really curious to see what becomes of Jaime now that he's finally woken the fuck up to the fact that his sister is a lunatic and he's bounced out of King's Landing.

He's all about fighting the army of the dead now. Jaime is woke af like Jon.

mcfrank

what an awful plot device then to dig up some corny ass 7 year old lore 95% of the audience would have forgotten in order to tie this show together. and no, I do not remember it.

Then you don't pay attention. Rhagar has been mentioned 20-30 times. He was the whole cause of Roberts rebellion

Wish they would have taken some time to acknowledge the magic that was supposed to be preventing the undead army from crossing the wall though.
Like... Technically, if Jon and the party had never crossed the wall and lost the dragon to the Night King, would the undead army have ever been capable of crossing?

I was worried for a second there that Tyrion would just come back, say that Cersei agreed to help, and that'd be it. Then we she betrayed them later, the blame would be placed on Tyrion. Glad that didn't happen.

Yeah, it would have been a good idea to mention the wall magic one more time prior to this episode.

Yeah, really glad about that.

Apologies if this has already been asked but what happened to Podrick after everything was said and done? We see him walk off with Bronn and that was it or did something happen while I was in the bathroom?

You think Cersei will go ahead and marry Euron now that Jaime left her?

I can't wait for Cersei to tell Jamie that it's Euron's baby - whether it's true or not.

She'll make Jamie keep it a secret and force him to go along with it.

Can you imagine Euron raising Jamie's own son to roast him all the time? LOL

Barzul

My only real complaint was that it was too predictable. Like the Sansa-Arya beef never felt authentic to me just because I knew there was no way Sansa after everything could be that naive. Tyrion's scenes were the most interesting. If you really wanted me to be surprised having Cersei actually committing to fighting the army of the dead would've been the biggest twist in recent memory. But there was some scheme...again predictable.

tenor.gif

In a show where they kill pregnant women, there are fire spitting dragons, and a walking dead army... people have issues with incest (which btw has been prevalent all through the series)

Tf kind of argument is this? Incest is disgusting whether there're dragons or no dragons.
It'd be weird if I was disgusted with other Targs and the Lannisters boning but fine with Jon and Dany doing it(which to an extent I am since they don't know they're related).

It's just gross.

Top Bottom