• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

jfkgoblue

I would be shocked if Jon ended up sitting on the Iron Throne. It goes against everything GRRM has talked about and done in GoT in being almost an anti-LOTR. It's too easy, too simple, too cliche. Jon being half Targaryen? Neat, and has been set up since season 1. Job being the rightful heir? Neat, it makes sense especially given what book readers have said about even more hints and small details. However, Jon being a bastard that is the epitome of two of the most common genre conventions, especially of high fantasy, with the metaphorical Jesus character AND the one person destined and capable of overcoming the great evil that will otherwise destroy the world. I would be very disappointed, but I have faith that Jon won't win the war and then claim his place on the Iron Throne.

Maybe Jon survives the war, but Cersei backstabs Jon, and Dany gets the Iron Throne like she always dreams of but it costs her the love of her life (which I am not and was never a fan of JS+DT). But the show ending with Jon as king? I'd bet against it.
Jon is more likely to sit the Iron Throne than Dany, his arc has been the reluctant ruler, Dany's has been working toward the singular goal of sitting the Iron Throne. It is Jon's story, everyone else is just pieces in it.

Chirotera

Banned
Why does Jon have to kill Dany, and do you really think he of all people would be willing to do it?

Not willing to do it, no. But that's how Lightbringer was born the first time, by killing that which Azor Ahai loved most in the world. His wife's soul combined with the blade to bring Lightbringer to life.

"There will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him/"

Given that Dany's whole thing is being a creature of Fire, too, it makes sense for him to plunge the sword into her, that which he loves, her fiery soul giving birth to the fabled sword that can save the world once again.

I just don't see an outcome where both of them survive the war, either way.

NolbertoS

Not willing to do it, no. But that's how Lightbringer was born the first time, by killing that which Azor Ahai loved most in the world. His wife's soul combined with the blade to bring Lightbringer to life.

I'm betting that neither will die to bring Lightbringer. Melisandre will sacrifice herself to the Lord Of Light in exchange for Lightbrnger, thus fullfilling her prophecy that she will die in Westeroos.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Well D&D say otherwise in the inside the episode so...

I watched the Inside the episode and they're essentially stating the obvious thing people see. Jon being a Targ and the legitimate heir could cause problems, but the question is if it will. The North doesn't care about the Iron Throne, and they alone can not take it. Dany herself doesn't need the North to take the throne.

Watch that scene again, when Bran narrates how Rhaegar never kidnapped Lyanna but in fact loved her, it immediately jumps to Dany letting in Jon. I think the way the scenes were overlaid and the flow of the narration is important. Rhaegar's love for Lyanna ended up nearly destroying his family. Dany and Jon's love for each other is going to do the opposite. It will save the kingdom and their family. We won't know till season 8 is done though lol.

Even if Jon isn’t okay with the aunt fucking when he find someone out if she gets pregnant he’s going to have to be in because he won’t let himself father a bastard

NolbertoS

:( “NO BOOK DISCUSSION” Literally at the fucking top. Not aimed at you but whoever the fuck is making theories from the book, c’mon man you have a fucking thread for that.

Lightbringer was in Season 7. The cleric that made the sword with fire was a special sword. In Season 2, Melisandre claims that Stannis Baratheon's sword that was pulled from the fire was the sword of legend.

Chirotera

Banned
:( “NO BOOK DISCUSSION” Literally at the fucking top. Not aimed at you but whoever the fuck is making theories from the book, c’mon man you have a fucking thread for that.

That's probably my bad. I can delete my posts if needed. I was a little too excited to talk about the show and thought I WAS in the book topic.

Nyanmaruz

Tyrion:
tommy103btl.gif

RADIOACTIVE!!

Haha that's what I heard too but it was aegon

Which is kind of weird since Rhaegar already had a son named Aegon

Haha...I was thinking to myself...really? Ned Targaryen? Could've made sense though.

I think Jon is going to have a heart attack when he hears this news though.

The story shitting on him constantly in the beginning set this up brilliantly, though, especially to someone like myself who has never read the books.

Everyone the whole time is talking up Dany as this compassionate ruler who loves the people and wants them to be free. And I'm sitting there watching Jon actually doing that sort of thing and going to myself, shouldn't everyone be saying this about Jon?

But I guess that's the point of that juxtaposition. So, that when you find out who he really is, the mythos of the world's redeeming savior makes much more sense.

FeD.nL

Why did Tyrion have that look of disgruntled in his face when he saw Jon and Dany in the room together?

I'm guessing either he too has hidden love for Dany a la Jorah or might he assume that the whole reason Jon chose to pledge to Dany
(which Tyrion didn't find out until the meeting in King's Landing)
is because he (Jon) loves her, which in turn could get in the way of bigger objectives later on.

When the cuck doesn't get to go in the room.

Enjoyed the episode. But damn they have a lot to go through in 6 episodes.

I think the Night King is gonna marry Arya and end up on the iron throne. Remember, the series is all about subverting regular fantasy tropes and doing the unexpected.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'm a bit surprised that we're going into season 8 with Cersei and the Night King still being major villains for the rest of the cast. I guess we won't see nothing but White Walkers in 8.

Also, I'm loving the idea of the Golden Company. It's been awhile since we've seen a brand new army with all new costumes and themes to them.

Also, elephants in Game of Thrones will be pretty crazy. I hope that's not just a thing they say and don't actually end up showing up 'cus I'll be pissed.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm okay with the sex scene honestly. Maybe with more time it would be better but the fans wanted it and not showing it wouldn't really add anything since we would know it happened anyways.

And lol @ the people who seriously think Tyrion was upset Jon stole Dany; dude was obviously like "fuck how does this change the dynamic."

Heshinsi

You unbend the knee by just standing up.

I mean he can still be pledged to her without being inside her

You cheeky fucks, you know I was talking about Bran's "legitimate heir" bit lol. He's already declared as a king that Dany is his queen. He's already made a big deal out of being a man of his word. It would be weird to me that being Rhaegar's son suddenly changes him.

barit

I think now is a good time sending Arya to KL and overwatch Cersie. When they find out she plays unfair Arya can kill her at any given time. If D&D go this route then that's how the Cersie plot will probably be finished in S8.

Overall great season final. Some nice shots of the icedragon. Beating down this beast is gonna be a hard af. The look of Jon and Danys faces when they find out about their little family secret will be priceless in S8. Can't wait to see all of this. Hopefully in 2018.

Mortemis

Banned
I bet Arya winds up killing Cersei and impersonating her, bringing the Lannister forces North. She goes down there with the Hound and that's how we get Cleganebowl.

I hope it happens like this. Maybe the Hound gets the killing blow, but in the end Arya gets her face.

God it was great to see Littlefinger finally get his tbh

Wtf is up with Tyrion staring at Jon and Dany bang, is he gonna pull some fuck shit next season? Can't wait.

VeeP

Lightbringer was in Season 7. The cleric that made the sword with fire was a special sword. In Season 2, Melisandre claims that Stannis Baratheon's sword that was pulled from the fire was the sword of legend.

I'm literally talking about how
someone had a theory that Jon will have to kill Dany or some shit
. Please, let me know what episode that's mentioned, I must've missed it.

sangreal

Is it possible that Tyrion would become a traitor?

They left that scene abruptly and open ended.

The scene was weird but Cersei said in the Jaime scene where she revealed her plot that she has no intention of working with the man that killed their father

It feels like the arya/Sansa stuff all over again. The writers thinking they're more clever than they are. Tyrion isn't turning on Dany

jfkgoblue

Also, he's already bent the knee. Are there take backs on bent knees? Lol
Jon isn't the one who is gonna be pushing for him to be king, Bran and Sam will be and those are two powerful people with Bran as 3ER and Sam commanding one of the largest armies left when he inevitably takes over as Lord of Highgarden. It isn't gonna be as simple as you hope.

Dany's entire thing has been based on her "birthright", how is she going to respond to finding out that she has no birthright?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I hope it happens like this. Maybe the Hound gets the killing blow, but in the end Arya gets her face.

Well, either they need to find a reason for the Hound to go South or Cersei comes North. Considering what she's said in this episode, the former sounds far more likely than the latter.

Heshinsi

Haha...I was thinking to myself...really? Ned Targaryen? Could've made sense though.

I think Jon is going to have a heart attack when he hears this news though.

The story shitting on him constantly in the beginning set this up brilliantly, though, especially to someone like myself who has never read the books.

Everyone the whole time is talking up Dany as this compassionate ruler who loves the people and wants them to be free. And I'm sitting there watching Jon actually doing that sort of thing and going to myself, shouldn't everyone be saying this about Jon?

But I guess that's the point of that juxtaposition. So, that when you find out who he really is, the mythos of the world's redeeming savior makes much more sense.

They both have. It was the whole point of Ser Davos and Messandei's quips in episode 3 and 4. Dany is to Essos what Jon is to the North. But without Jon, Dany can't get that across to the Northerners, and without Dany, the Essos elements of Dany's forces don't give two shits what Jon did for the Northeners. They're two halves of a coin. It reminds me of the greek concept of soul mates.

NolbertoS

I'm literally talking about how
someone had a theory that Jon will have to kill Dany or some shit
. Please, let me know what episode that's mentioned, I must've missed it.

Regarding that no. Regarding Lightbringer, Melisandre mentioned in season 2, episode 1 how the lord of light created the special sword to fight the darkness.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I bet Arya winds up killing Cersei and impersonating her, bringing the Lannister forces North. She goes down there with the Hound and that's how we get Cleganebowl.

I think Jamie might be the key honestly. Jamie needs to go back to Kings Landing and he brings the Hound.

They basically are. Usually they have a thin flesh-colored article to cover themselves that can't be noticed. I know Lena Headey used a body double for the Walk of Shame. But I think Emilia Clarke always does her own scenes.

Completely OT but this got me curious. How do they hide the guy's hard on? I mean if the actor is heterosexual and is making out with a hot female actress - and they are both pretty much naked - I think it'd be kind of difficult not to have an erection.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think Jamie might be the key honestly. Jamie needs to go back to Kings Landing and he brings the Hound.

Also a possibility. No matter what, the Hound has to make his way South at some point during the next season.

Completely OT but this got me curious. How do they hide the guy's hard on? I mean if the actor is heterosexual and is making out with a hot female actress - and they are both pretty much naked - I think it'd be kind of difficult not to have an erection.

They're naked in a room with at least 3 or 4 other people just watching them. I imagine popping a woody isn't a problem in that situation.

Top Bottom