• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

One thing confused me, I thought it was pretty evident in the very first episode that the Lannisters were responsible for Jon Arryn's death, not LF.

I think Lysa Arryn poisoned him on behalf of LF who wanted Jon Arryn dead for Cersei and Jamie.

Similar reasons to why LF tried killing Bran. Framing Tyrion was just a bonus to get extra kudos from Cersei.

Valonquar

Thinking about it more after last night's episode, I don't really get what Littlefinger's endgame was anymore. For all his clever plotting, and disasters he created, he didn't really gain that much.

cersie played tyrion so hard. dayum. i almost thought jamie was gonna get it!

Thinking about it more after last night's episode, I don't really get what Littlefinger's endgame was anymore. For all his clever plotting, and disasters he created, he didn't really gain that much.

I think it became clear that he just really loved playing this game. he got so deep into it that it ended up killing him. seemed like an addiction.im guessing the end game was to have sansa bring him up to be king of something but it got to hard and he didnt have any lives left. eventually leading him to try and play the game on other areas until he could not know where to play the game anymore or something. RIP LF

Still angling to become Warden of the North I think. He was leading Sansa to take the lead once Jon left and before Arya showed up, so he may have been trying to repeat what he did at the Vale.

JDB

Banned
I like how Theon can magically win fights through the power of not having balls. Amazing writing that really sums up this season.

7he Talon

Hopefully never. Too many posters had spot on theories for what was going to happen in the next episode. Gonna have to avoid this thread 100%.
I'm going to be so strict come season 8. Youtube was high risk for me this time 'round.
Where are people hearing 2019? Has that been officially announced or was it just on Facebook?
I've just been guessing based on previous patters from filming until release. This TIME article also follows a similar thought process.

Plum

I like how Theon can magically win fights through the power of not having balls. Amazing writing that really sums up this season.

lol what

The other guy tried to take him down by kneeing him in the balls.

Whaddya know, he's got no balls.

Other guy is surprised by this giving Theon the opportunity to counter-attack.

How the hell is a previously established plot point being used to further the story in a way that makes sense "bad writing"?

Qvoth

can someone explain why the mountain didn't kill jaime when cersei nodded?
wtzgU.gif

Vashetti

Banned
So... how would the Army of the Dead have gotten through the Wall if not for Viserion?

Without a dragon, were they just going to wait next to the Wall forever? What was their plan?

KarmaCow

lol what

How the hell is a previously established plot point being used to further the story in a way that makes sense "bad writing"?

It was pretty dumb how Theon basically won through the Homer Simpson method of letting the other guy punch you until they get tired.

can someone explain why the mountain didn't kill jaime when cersei nodded?
wtzgU.gif

They have a psychic link thanks to the ressurection-no-jutsu Qyburn used on him so he knew that not actually what she wanted.

danm999

Why did Cersei promise to march North if she has no intention of doing so?

Accepting the original truce would have left her in the same strategic position except it's not obvious you're breaking the deal straight away.

Plum

It was pretty dumb how Theon basically won through the Homer Simpson method of letting the other guy punch you until they get tired.

No, he won because the other guy let his guard down allowing Theon to get some good hits in and, as they were both tired, Theon won. I can't get my head around anyone having an issue understanding that scene, it's as basic a TV fight as most any other.

Seesaw15

I hated the Winterfell bullshit drama this season, but it paid off so well. This now means though that Petyr won't have any reunions with Tyrion, Varys, etc.

what also pisses me off about the finale is why was Cersei blaming Tyrion for Tommen's death...she sounded like she took responsibility for it in the premier and if I were Tyrion I would be like "uhh, I had nothing to do with Tommen's death. You're the one who killed his wife you sick fuck."

Cersei blaming Tyrion for Tommen and Mrycella's death made sense in GoT logic. Tyrion killed Tywin and Tywin kept everything in check.

Fox Mulder

He played everyone well to that point. His games couldn't work against super powers that let someone see everything.

JDB

Banned
lol what

Dude was completely out of shape and was winded before he even kicked him in the groin.
He was shitting on Theon before that and suddenly it turns completely around because a knee in the groin didn't have the desired effect? Give me a break.

KarmaCow

No, he won because the other guy let his guard down allowing Theon to get some good hits in and, as they were both tired, Theon won. I can't get my head around anyone having an issue understanding that scene, it's as basic a TV fight as most any other.

They made it a point to show how winded he was from absolutely beating Theon's ass to justify why a couple of hits would bring him down. It was pretty dumb.

Skux

As much as I was rooting for Jon and Dany to root... it was just weird watching it lol. While Bran is basically describing that they're family just to make sure we don't feel good about what we're watching.

Is it bad that I wanted to feel good about it...

Plum

He was shitting on Theon before that and suddenly it turns completely around because a knee in the groin didn't have the desired effect? Give me a break.

I can't believe that the classic "person gets distracted allowing other person to get in some finishing blows," trope is flying over your head this much.

They made it a point to show how winded he was from absolutely beating Theon's ass to justify why a couple of hits would bring him down. It was pretty dumb.

How is it dumb? Because the Simpsons used it as a joke once? People get tired when fighting, and even then the guy didn't seem too beat up until after Theon had punched him.

Pagusas

Elden Member
He played everyone well to that point. His games couldn't work against super powers that let someone see everything.

Yep, other than Bran's "Testimony", LF had an excuse for all the charges. It was Bran that truely screwed him.

Dude should have high tailed it out town the moment Bran gave him the "Chaos is a latter" speech.

That was just to push it over the top. The real goal of the scene is to showcase Theon taking a beating and refusing to give up. It punctuates his shift.

JDB

Banned
I can't believe that the classic "person gets distracted allowing other person to get in some finishing blows," trope is flying over your head this much.
I know why he won according to the show, that doesn't make it any less lame. Like I said it's indicative of GoT's writing lately. Just generic, predictable stuff.

I didn't understand the significane of Tyrion on the ship while they were making love. Really not a single clue what to interpret in that He hasn't had sex in a while...

There's an article in Vanity Fair that explains that scene. I won't say more but if you're interested in understanding the scene you can go and read the article.

Bossun

What should have happened at the end of LF scene was for Arya to ask the guards to keep LF's body.

She becomes LF, ask an audience with Cersei, kill her, takes Cersei's face, sit on the Throne, ask the army to help in the north, confront Jon and Daenerys, BAM remove her face. End of the show.

What's frustrating also is how nobody talked about the disappearance of the Freys, I would have like to see Arya elevated to the rank of myth or legend.

So... how would the Army of the Dead have gotten through the Wall if not for Viserion?

Without a dragon, were they just going to wait next to the Wall forever? What was their plan?
Well with giants and such maybe they figured they could siege it or something. Also given the force at which the white walkers can throw those spears, perhaps they could have done a number on the gate and breached it.

They showed him out of breath with his hands on his knees. He didn't have anything left, while Theon still had the will to continue fighting.

7he Talon

I thought there was magic that stopped them from going past the wall? Did something happen that allowed the Wight to go to Kings Landing or for the Army of the Dead to march through it?

Bossun

I think Viserion was also useful to even the odds. The 3 dragons could have destroyed the WW army without breaking a sweat and that would have been anti climatic. Now the NK killing a dragon established them as truly powerful and fearful in the eyes of Dany and also render the two other dragons a bit less OP against the army. They will have to deal with Viserion first before killing the undeads by the thousands.

Plum

I know why he won according to the show, that doesn't make it any less lame. Like I said it's indicative of GoT's writing lately. Just generic, predictable stuff.

Your prior quotes suggest otherwise. Neither of them had any suggestion that you understood what was going on but thought it was predictable and "generic."

Even if I take your word on this and those quotes didn't exist, what would have been a "better" piece of writing? If Theon had died like a chump having had no satisfying character arc? If Theon had just stabbed the other guy in the back like a coward instead of learning something? I'm not too hot on the writing this season either, but some of these complaints are ridiculous. Something being a trope doesn't automatically make it bad unless you're Cinema Sins.

FiggyCal

Banned
I didn't understand the significane of Tyrion on the ship while they were making love. Really not a single clue what to interpret in that.

Tyrion had been pushing for Dany to marry, settle down, make an heir all season. It doesn't make it not weird, but I think we're supposed to get that Tyrion had been waiting for Jon or Dany to make a move.

J2 Cool

Anyone disappointed about what a footnote The Wall falling was? The whole show/novel starts at The Wall, feels like it should have been given more weight. Hardhome gets an episode to itself.

Maybe their could have been an actual siege/war on the wall, and during that fight, reveal the Night King's dragon. As it was, we got the double beat. Which was fine, but not exceptional. I did like King's Landing snowing though.

Also, did anyone else think Cersei gave the order to kill Jamie with the nod? If anything, I would assume you would have to be very clear with the Mountain. So if I didn't understand it, not sure how he did. Was definitely expecting that Cersei/Jamie split to happen at a dramatic battle moment next season, came about sooner than I thought.

TheFuzz

Yeah, for me this is litterally the most stupid thing of this season.

Hop over to the book discussion.
He doesn't have two sons, we are assuming that Aegon in the books isn't the true Aegon. There are book hints that suggest that.

Top Bottom