• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

I wouldn't be surprised if he was named Littlefinger by Martin to begin with just because of that

I wouldn't put it past him at this point. lol

I'm a bit disappointed that Petyr's gone now. He's the kind of awful character that should have transcended comeuppance imo, as a reminder to the audience that the bad guys don't always get their just deserts.

RS4-

Re: the Mercs that Cersei is hiring, what are the chances that Daario and some allies are part of it?

He can kill Euron if Theon and Yara don't.

What's with King's Landing having a million people? That's an order of magnitude bigger than any medieval city. London in 1500 had 50,000 people; even with the much better technology in 1700 it was only 500,000.

I know it sounds like a nitpick, but the broader point of a kingdom with a single megacity outcompeting a mostly rural one based on overwhelming population advantages just isn't believable given the timeframe. Medieval cities were tiny.

Symphonia

Banned
What's with King's Landing having a million people? That's an order of magnitude bigger than any medieval city. London in 1500 had 50,000 people; even with the much better technology in 1700 it was only 500,000.

I know it sounds like a nitpick, but the broader point of a kingdom with a single megacity outcompeting a mostly rural one based on overwhelming population advantages just isn't believable given the timeframe. Medieval cities were tiny.
To be fair, the actual size of King’s Landing is fairly inconsistent. In season one, it looked like a small city. Then, season two up until the start of this season, it was a larger city. Now, all of a sudden, it’s a city capable of holding 1M+ people. It makes as much sense as the characters being able to fast-travel between places.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Welp, just summarized the season.

Glad I decided to stay away. Complete fanfiction material, from start to finish.

Medieval period isn't really a great comparison considering the deaths from plague and whatnot. And London was a non factor back then, not sure why you'd bother referencing it.

We can go back to Rome to find a million people. Tons of Chinese cities too.

But it doesn't matter, it's fiction.

Rixxan

Glad I decided to stay away. Complete fanfiction material, from start to finish.

Please stop calling this fan fiction

In no way is this season above criticism, but it is above that one

This is the only available canon to this stage of the story, as the author has failed to yet release more of his chapters

And you're fooling yourself if you don't think things like Jon and Dany getting together will happen in the books

Tugatrix

Medieval period isn't really a great comparison considering the deaths from plague and whatnot. And London was a non factor back then, not sure why you'd bother referencing it.

We can go back to Rome to find a million people. Tons of Chinese cities too.

But it doesn't matter, it's fiction.

Even the muslim cities like Baghdad in medievel times had a million people living there

Vic_Viper

Now that this season is over, what do you watch now lol? Still a few days till Narcos season 3 and then even longer for Stranger Things. How do you top this show.

Zalasta

Well, I'm glad that Sansa was redeemed last night. I was getting quite frustrated that she seemed to have reverted back to her old self listening to Littlefinger and his lies. On the other hand, Cersei was a disappointment and turned out to be quite one-dimensional after all. Back in book 3, she really had the potential to be more than just a bitter and self-serving person, but this finale proved that she really had zero growth and is still the same person she was back in season 1.

I find it incredibly naïve and funny that they all seemed so worried that every human being is going to be turned into the army of the dead, but not the dragon they left behind. It's going to be just a stupid scene when they act all surprised seeing Viserion again. It is ironic that Dany practically gifted them their way of breaching the wall. Which in retrospect seemed quite convenient.

Tevious

Something seems a bit suspicious about that conversation between Tyrion and Cersei that we didn't get to see. We know that Tyrion is concerned about Daenerys not being able to produce an heir and then he finds out Cersei is pregnant. Cersei comes back to the dragon pit to pledge her support, which is then revealed to be a lie. When Cersei confronts Jaime as he prepares the expedition of the Lannister armies north, she tells him she always knew he was the stupidest Lannister (for believing that). This makes me wonder, since Tyrion is the clever one, that maybe he knows Cersei has no intention of helping. Now I don't think Cersei and Tyrion reconciled their differences and are secretly allies now, Cersei did go on to say to Jamie that she doesn't trust Tyrion and still thinks ill of him for killing their father, but maybe some kind of deal was struck between them. We all know how Danny feels about betrayal. This could be how Tyrion eventually dies.

SgtCobra

Now that this season is over, what do you watch now lol? Still a few days till Narcos season 3 and then even longer for Stranger Things. How do you top this show.
Yeah I can never watch Narcos anymore after seeing El Patron Del Mal which in my eyes is way superior. Westworld I guess? Pff

hongcha

Please stop calling this fan fiction

In no way is this season above criticism, but it is above that one

This is the only available canon to this stage of the story, as the author has failed to yet release more of his chapters

And you're fooling yourself if you don't think things like Jon and Dany getting together will happen in the books

The show writers know, and are using, all the main plot points through the end of the books, because GRRM told them. So you are right, calling this fan fiction is absurd.

jrush64

Banned
EEEEEWWWWWW. lol.

That was a damn great finale to a great season. Of course Cersei screws everyone over but I'm not surprised. Some ahole posted spoilers on IGN comments but I kinda knew what would happen anyway.

Go Arya and Sansa and Bran!!! I didn't expect Littlefinger to be offed there though, that was kinda cold. Thought they could have tossed him in prison or something.

Jon and Dany... EEEEWWWW.
Was secretly rooting for them. It's been a long time for both of them.

Was Tyrion jealous or something?

The scene between Cersei and Tyrion was amazing though. Great actors. Jamie was also great in this episode too.

Vic_Viper

About that Tyrion scene at the end, In the Inside the Episode the directors said that Cersei had played him super hard when they were talking alone. So im not sure if he switched sides.

I could see him promising her that if she were pregnant that her child would sit on the throne after Danny's death. But I dont think he actually switched sides.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
About that Tyrion scene at the end, In the Inside the Episode the directors said that Cersei had played him super hard when they were talking alone. So im not sure if he switched sides.

I could see him promising her that if she were pregnant that her child would sit on the throne after Danny's death. But I dont think he actually switched sides.

It's probably this, but that's betrayal. Betrayal in Dany's eyes and rightfully so.

The show writers know, and are using, all the main plot points through the end of the books, because GRRM told them. So you are right, calling this fan fiction is absurd.
Yo, no book talk.

There are quotes stating the ending is D&D original and not GRRM's work. Don't know where people get George told them all the main plot lines from, he probably doesn't know himself yet.

This is 100% D&D fan fiction.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Season was fantastic. You sound bitter.

Also, why can’t we merge the threads yet? We’re well past any book stuff. Aren’t really any more book spoilers to leak.

Was that the first time we've seen Rheagar? He wasn't in the other Bran visions right? I thought it was the same actor as Viserys for a couple seconds.

Timbuktu

I like the fact that Cersei was right and brought up what everyone was thinking, that the Lannisters forces aren't going to make a difference if dragons don't win the war against the dead up north and the whole idea about having to convince her was pointless.

Was that the first time we've seen Rheagar? He wasn't in the other Bran visions right? I thought it was the same actor as Viserys for a couple seconds.

I mean, it makes sense they would be similar but they are more twins material than Danny and Vyseris. I think it's mostly the hair, wish they had done it a tad differently.

nubbe

Yo, no book talk.

There are quotes stating the ending is D&D original and not GRRM's work. Don't know where people get George told them all the main plot lines from, he probably doesn't know himself yet.

This is 100% D&D fan fiction.
GRRM has said so... And directors and D&D
GRRM is a producer and advisor.
But D&D will make the final calls on the path of the show.

Ladekabel

Why did Cersei blame Tyrion for Tommens death? Wasn't she the one responsible for it by blowing up his wife (and a church full of other people)?

GRRM has said so... And directors and D&D
GRRM is a producer and advisor.
But D&D will make the final calls on the path of the show.
http://time.com/4791793/game-of-thrones-season-7-david-benioff-d-b-weiss/

Did you know in season 2 where the story was going to end up?

WEISS: When did we meet with George [series author R.R. Martin] in Santa Fe?

BENIOFF: It was before season 3 wasn’t it?

WEISS: It was when we were getting the track that the Hold Steady did, their studio version of "The Bear and the Maiden Fair." It was between season 2 and season 3.

BENIOFF: That’s when we started talking to George and he was giving us a sense of things he was working on that were to come, that’s when he told us about the Hodor backstory, and endgame stuff. He had some great stuff that he could share with us, like the Hodor thing, but a lot of it, he wasn’t sure yet, because he was writing, and he discovers things by writing. For us as TV writer-producers, we have to be architects. Everything has to be planned out really far in advance. And for us, we can’t say we’re going to stop and figure things out for a couple years. We know we have to have a season every year, pretty much. We knew we were barreling towards an ending, because we knew from the start the show would run seven or eight years.

WEISS: There were some details that were added later — but pretty much the actual endgame, the main climactic moments, we had in mind then. We had ninety percent of this crucial chunk of the story for the final season, and we were mainly talking to George to see how our notion of where things ended up jibed with his notion.

Props to Duckroll for this.

Won't be posting on it more as no book talk. Just wanted to clear up the misconception that GRRM told D&D the outline for the story. If he knew himself we'd have the damn books. He's told them 3 big things that they will go with , one being shireen, one Hodor and the last yet to come.

Edit - I believe GRRM also said he's taking a step back from the show to finish the books around the end of season 4. You'll notice he hasn't wrote an episode for the show since.

Ravelle

With all the leaks, I just can't take anyone at there word saying they predicted everything that would happen.

And with most of it being telegraphed and hinted so much you don't need to be 3ER to see where things are going. It's pretty straight forward. Calling things and then coming back with Yo they did the thing, you you see! I called it! is pretty lame.

Machina

Banned
Why did Cersei blame Tyrion for Tommens death? Wasn't she the one responsible for it by blowing up his wife (and a church full of other people)?

Her excuse was that by killing Tywin he doomed her children as well. This is a farcical point of view of course. She is entirely at fault for Tommen, but she is so past the point of delusion she could never see it.

Machina

Banned
Ok, Tyrion is 100% guilty of something...

A lot of people are hypothesising he is up to something, but I just can't see it. Cersei has already put him through so much shit, he couldn't possibly about face now. The backlash would be pretty big. It just doesn't make sense.

I loved the season finale, but one thing I did not like was the story betweenSansa and Arya. They were almost enemies last episode, and then all of the sudden they are best friends forever.

So what happened? They did not show anything. There is not point of saying they "were just pretending to be enemies" when all the passive aggressive conversations between them were in private, so they had not need to fool anyone. I know they wanted to fool the audience, but the way it came out was just weird for me.

FeD.nL

A lot of people are hypothesising he is up to something, but I just can't see it. Cersei has already put him through so much shit, he couldn't possibly about face now. The backlash would be pretty big. It just doesn't make sense.

At first I thought there might be something there. But it just doesn't make sense with Cersei pulling out of the deal before it even began. Like if there was a plan cooked up between Tyrion and Cersei she would not show her cards before the battle even took place.

Watching the episode last night, and I go to my GF and say "I wonder if Lena and Jerome Flynn could act professional and shoot a scene together since the show is wrapping up" when they were at the Dragon Pit and then Bronn goes to Pod let's leave these guys and get a drink. So much for thinking that..

I loved the season finale, but one thing I did not like was the story betweenSansa and Arya. They were almost enemies last episode, and then all of the sudden they are best friends forever.

So what happened? They did not show anything. There is not point of saying they "were just pretending to be enemies" when all the passive aggressive conversations between them were in private, so they had not need to fool anyone. I know they wanted to fool the audience, but the way it came out was just weird for me.

The way they shot the entire Winterfell thing you had to suspend disbelief that Sansa and Arya were playing the long con with Littlefinger. That both of them went to Bran to fact check anything and everything Littlefinger has done. They just played up hating each other for this season.

So clearly, in order to beat the Night King and his army, we just need the Lord of light to bring them all back to life. Boom. Done. I've just figured it all out.

Ydelnae

Ok, Tyrion is 100% guilty of something...

The fact that the two conversations he had with Jaime and Cerse happened off-screen is sketchy, but I don't think he would sell Daenerys of betray her. I do think he will try to interfere between Dany's relationship with Jon, though.

Top Bottom