• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Bossun

A lot of people are hypothesising he is up to something, but I just can't see it. Cersei has already put him through so much shit, he couldn't possibly about face now. The backlash would be pretty big. It just doesn't make sense.

Possible,
but Cersei actions afterwards are a bit weird then.
And if it's truly nothing, the whole scene was just made to mislead us, the facial expressions of Tyrion, The ominous setting, hiding in the dark under a stair, the tonal shift of the music the moment he appears on screen.

Dunlop

It is ironic that Dany practically gifted them their way of breaching the wall. Which in retrospect seemed quite convenient.
She brought the dragons because of Jon, who would be dead except the Lord of Light resurrected him... To lead the fight against the undead.. Which would not be needed if Jon was dead...

It's best not to think too deeply in it

aravuus

So, good season overall? Better or worse than 6?

I've only watched the first episode, was wondering if I should specifically make time for this soon and binge through the whole season in a day or two or just.. Watch it some day in the future when I happen to be bored and have the time.

Am I the only one that found it weird that Bran had a more open (less weird) and normal conversation with Sam, than with either of his sisters or Meera?
No, I definitely agree with you there. To me it's just a sign that what Meera said to him struck a nerve and he's been trying to get better at talking to people again. He definitely cares.

Machina

Banned
So, good season overall? Better or worse than 6?

I've only watched the first episode, was wondering if I should specifically make time for this soon and binge through the whole season in a day or two or just.. Watch it some day in the future when I happen to be bored and have the time.

You'll find a lot of people hating on it for the rushed nature of the events, but I really enjoyed it as usual. It's light on action compared to earlier seasons but the stuff that does happen is meaningful in its consequences to the plot.

Tyrion isn't going to betray Dany. He just disapproves of them hooking up. Nothing more. It would make no sense for him to turn on her now. Cersei was likely always going to do what she did because she's only looking out for herself. Her lying to them about helping fight the undead is a Cersei move.

Am I the only one that found it weird that Bran had a more open (less weird) and normal conversation with Sam, than with either of his sisters or Meera?

My only theories/thoughts on the subject.

Jojen/Meera were tasked to help Bran at all costs, so he doesn't feel like he owes Meera anything since they were just doing their job.

Sam didn't have to help Bran get beyond the Wall at all so he owes him a debt.

Or, Bran knew that Sam's father and brother were roasted by Dany something that we don't even know if Sam knows at this point and he was just being nice to him because he doesn't know what Sam is going through at this point.

Or, he took Meera's advice and is trying to be a bit less robotic about interacting with people.

Not even Three Eyed Raven acted as aloof and and awkward as Bran has done as the 3ER at this point. Which, I guess is acceptable since you figure Bran didn't get to really live a life before being turned in a 3ER.

FiggyCal

Banned
Honestly, fuck people that sold their "predictions" and were just blatantly spoiling stuff.

I think even neogaf isn't safe. Plenty of people were posting stuff from the leaks as predictions - maybe earnestly, like they didn't know where it came from but heard it from someone else. But anyway I'm staying away for the next season.

of course this is the ideal situation but somehow things will turn upside down and someone will die. my guess is it will be Jon by way of sacrificing himself to save everyone.
I think Dany will die shortly after giving birth. Jon will have to be King even though he never wanted the iron throne, and Dany will die never getting the throne or experiencing being a mother to a human child, despite her lifelong desires for both of those
You wouldn't happen to be Filipino would you?
nah, Bengali. You?
Watch the Inside the episode, they say pretty much outright that it is gonna cause problems.
I watched it and I have to say if they make Dany flip out over it, I'm going to say it's really out of character because a. he is Rhaegar's son and she's always admired him, going so far as to name a dragon after him and b. she's in love with him so at this point why not just marry him? Has she really intended to just rule as Westeros alone without a King or an heir?
giphy.gif
tumblr_o0z2neL1pX1qcaycmo1_500.gif

Right I think you and I are basically on the same page. My thing is that it might better if Jon doesn't know - better for him, Daenerys and the Northern Lords. I'm hoping Sam and Bran keep it to themselves, at least for a a while. I think Sam is a smart guy, once he knows they are pregnant, he'll do the right thing and keep it quiet.
You bring up a very interesting point. Perhaps if Bran & Sam see that Dany is pregnant, they hold off on telling them - or maybe they tell Dany and not Jon.
I hope they get over the "bend the knee" business real quick. They are equals now.
Agreed...well, they haven't made it clear if she sees Jon as an equal or a subordinate though. Would've been good if they wrapped it up before the season ended.
they were right
v
All of the episodic leaks of S7 were %100 legit.

going by the link in http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1299150&highlight=season+7, they weren't 100% right. Just looking there I already see at least 2 mistakes. Now, of course all the major plot points came true, but the point is the leaks were not 100% accurate. 90%, I'd say. And also apparently there are different versions of the leaks, all collectively 90% correct but each with their own variations of mistakes.

I won't type them out yet if we're not allowed to talk about them

She brought the dragons because of Jon, who would be dead except the Lord of Light resurrected him... To lead the fight against the undead.. Which would not be needed if Jon was dead...

It's best not to think too deeply in it
The fight against the undead would not be needed if Jon was dead? Wut

Vic_Viper

I loved the season finale, but one thing I did not like was the story betweenSansa and Arya. They were almost enemies last episode, and then all of the sudden they are best friends forever.

So what happened? They did not show anything. There is not point of saying they "were just pretending to be enemies" when all the passive aggressive conversations between them were in private, so they had not need to fool anyone. I know they wanted to fool the audience, but the way it came out was just weird for me.

Yea it was just to sell the LittleFinger death. It's more about what was said off screen between them. The writers should have spent more time on it but with the rushed schedule they just weren't able to.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i wonder if cersei saying to jaime, "i always knew you were the stupidest of the lannisters" is also subtly alluding to her conversation with tyrion. if tyrion did do something nefarious this would be a good way to nod to it.

Tall4Life

I'd say this was ultimately better than season 6 or 5. Even if it felt rushed which led to bad writing, it was still consistently more engaging, entertaining, etc. than the previous two seasons. A lot of shit happened.

Everything at Winterfell this season was awful. All of those terrible scenes that just led up to a poorly done fake-out. They should have killed Littlefinger last season or at least at the beginning of this season. So much pointlessness.

Other than that I though this season was great. Despite how the writing is getting worse, they managed to make up for it with fast pacing and a grander scale. Shortening the season was the best idea they had.

Honestly, fuck people that sold their "predictions" and were just blatantly spoiling stuff.

dude...you know how many Youtube comments I came across WEEKS before finale with people going #boatsex? so fucking annoying. like, yes, I get that you read the leaks, but why do you have to ruin it for everyone else? does it make you feel superior because you read them or something?

dude...you know how many Youtube comments I came across WEEKS before finale with people going #boatsex? so fucking annoying. like, yes, I get that you read the leaks, but why do you have to ruin it for everyone else? does it make you feel superior because you read them or something?

I wasn't spoiled like that, I disable youtube comments and turn off the function to save search and watch history. It was people bringing it here.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Season was fantastic. You sound bitter.

Also, why can’t we merge the threads yet? We’re well past any book stuff. Aren’t really any more book spoilers to leak.
Agreed. There is no reason to seperate book talk now when the show has definitely covered all points we know so far and now future plot points. Can't really be spoiled by books knowing what show watchers don't.

Also, this Lich King scene comparison floating around is pretty on point. I got very big Lich King vibes seeing the dragon fly over, wonder if the show writers play WoE and this is their hidden message for Blizzard to bring back WotLK servers ;)

also wtf with Jon's birthname being Aegon. It should've been Jaehaerys. Jon looks like a Jaehaerys, he don't look like an Aegon. And it would've been poetic with both names starting with J.

What kind of dad names both of his sons the same name

ramparter

Banned
One thing confused me, I thought it was pretty evident in the very first episode that the Lannisters were responsible for Jon Arryn's death, not LF.

Sayad

So I assume we're probably going to end with no dragons by the end of the show. Both will probably die fighting the undead one, with Rhaegal dying first then Drogon taking it down but dying at the same time?
Maybe Daenerys can lay an egg after sleeping with her nephew!

Qvoth

Just finished the episode
The only part I don't understand, why didn't the mountain kill Jaime there and then when Cersei nodded?

Deku Tree

Fear is for the Long Night, when the sun hides for years and children are born and live and die, all in darkness. That is the time for fear, my little lord, when the White Walkers move through the woods. Thousands of years ago there came a night that lasted a generation. Kings froze to death in their castles, same as the shepherds in their huts. And women smothered their babies rather than see them starve, and wept and felt the tears freeze on their cheeks.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tvObuhT7Kpw

White Walkers hunted with packs of spiders big as hounds.

Bring on S8

His body is at Winterfell now so we might get Ned Stark back in the Romero style.

When the Night King over-runs the North, we can get all the Starks back as zombies. Even Rob with a stitched on zombie wolf head. They could lead the army while Night King hangs back and hooks up with his new lady friend, Undead Sansa.

I think even neogaf isn't safe. Plenty of people were posting stuff from the leaks as predictions - maybe earnestly, like they didn't know where it came from but heard it from someone else. But anyway I'm staying away for the next season.

Yeah I think I might do the same for the finale. I heard the dragon "guess" around episode 1 in here, which is the only place I tend to look for GoT.

So Tyrion and Jon brought the end of Westeros with their decisions. Seems fitting considering Tyrion has done nothing but fucking up all season 7 and Jon generally just does stupid shit for the entire series.

Also LF seems like the type of guy that would 100% win the Game of Thrones if magic didn't exist in this world. And it wouldn't be close IMO. Once magic starting coming through and his love for Sansa, it became his undoing.

When the Night King over-runs the North, we can get all the Starks back as zombies. Even Rob with a stitched on zombie wolf head. They could lead the arm while Night King hangs back and hooks up with his new lady friend, Undead Sansa.

wait, burying the dead doesn't keep them dead? the Nking can still activate them and make them dig themselves out of the grave?

Majmun

Oh wow, I didn't expect LF to die this season.

He needed a better death. He was basically the main antagonist, besides the NK.

Oh wow, I didn't expect LF to die this season.

He needed a better death. He was basically the main antagonist, besides the NK.

I hated the Winterfell bullshit drama this season, but it paid off so well. This now means though that Petyr won't have any reunions with Tyrion, Varys, etc.

what also pisses me off about the finale is why was Cersei blaming Tyrion for Tommen's death...she sounded like she took responsibility for it in the premier and if I were Tyrion I would be like "uhh, I had nothing to do with Tommen's death. You're the one who killed his wife you sick fuck."

Vic_Viper

I wonder if GRRM is a big X-Men fan. I mean we've got Proffesor X (Bran), The Phenoix/Jean Grey (Sansa), and Wolverine/X-23 (Arya). All I need now is a scene where Bran tries to warg the Mountain (Juggernaut) and he shouts, get outta my head Charles, breaking his vow of silence!

jey_16

Banned
also wtf with Jon's birthname being Aegon. It should've been Jaehaerys. Jon looks like a Jaehaerys, he don't look like an Aegon. And it would've been poetic with both names starting with J.

Was Rhaegar dead at the time of birth? Lyanna probably got to choose the name because it doesn't make sense for Rhaegar to use the same name, especially since the other Aegon would have still been alive at the time

FStubbs

They could not get past the wall without a dragon. That Jon supplied.

I'm guessing as winter got colder, the water would have frozen and they could just march around the wall.

Jon just moved up their timetable since they had the dragon.

Otherwise, what would be the point of worrying about them? Hide behind the wall and wait winter out.

Oberon

Banned
I wonder if GRRM is a big X-Men fan. I mean we've got Proffesor X (Bran), The Phenoix/Jean Grey (Sansa), and Wolverine/X-23 (Arya). All I need now is a scene where Bran tries to warg the Mountain (Juggernaut) and he shouts, get outta my head Charles, breaking his vow of silence!

You know what happens to a toad that is burned by the flames of a Dragon?

Majmun

And what's with Bran's fake news about Jon being a Sand?

He needs to check his info better first. The Tarly boy read him like dirt.

How many times has Bran given out misinfo like that?

Juup

Neo Member
I think Littlefingers death seems to lack some... consequence. He is such an important and powerful player pulling strings everywhere (at least he was portrayed like that in the earlier seasons), so you would expect that him being dead instead of alive would set some things in motion or unearth some nasty secrets. But has anything changed in the grand scheme of things?

I mean, his ending is very fitting the way it is by the hands of Sansa and all, but also slightly underwhelming.

Since Lyanna states that she knows Robert would kill Jon, it's pretty safe to assume that Jon was born after the Sack of Kings Landing (Lyanna dies right after childbirth). So Rhaegar didn't name him. So she probably named him Aegon as a nod to the fact that he's Rhaegar's aire.

Top Bottom