• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Skux

Great episode imo, and a lot of great scenes.
Tyrion/ Cercei and Jamie/ Cercei were way up there, but strangely it's the Jon/ Theon that really got me in the feels.
"You do not have to choose. You are a Greyjoy. And a Stark.".

I loved that scene. You don't have to define yourself by one or the other. You can be both, and that's okay.

Sounds cheesy but it speaks to me. As an immigrant it's always been hard to find the culture that I fit into. I'm not entirely a New Zealander although I've lived here since I was a baby. But I feel like a tourist when I visit the Philippines, my birth country. Sometimes it's been a struggle picking a side. But there's a third option - to be both at the time time, and create a new identity that's something unique and different altogether. And that is a perfectly valid existence to lead as well.

I loved the fact that there was a real show of power from a key character at a critical time in the series, but I would have made it a little more spectacular myself. Most likely I would have added a lot of people on the safe side to witness it. I would have wanted to see Dany and Jon and all the armies of the Seven Kingdoms be only a view distance away when it happened. I would have loved to see their faces. It would have been an amazing scene, but it still is. Instead all we got was one more "Oops I'm not really dead, or am I?" character moment - one that just happened to Tormund last episde and now again...
I think having all the human armies close to the invading army of the dead right away would kill any tension.
You would basically tell the audience "Don't worry the cavalry is already here".

JWiLL

Banned
O4WXNiJ.png

!?

Jamie will be able to one-shot a White Walker every 4 seconds.

Night King will then take to Westeros Reddit to complain how unbalanced it is.

LF's death was anticlimactic but served a deeper satisfaction of seeing Sansa mature to the point she is no longer anyone's tool. The ultimate twist is that LF taught her how to play the game like an expert, and that will make her a force for the rest of her life. A queen who is a master spider, backed up by a sister that is a Faceless Man assassin.

And to be honest, I can't help but feel they were foreshadowing it pretty hard that King's Landing will be surprise attacked by the Night's King. Dany's vision of the broken throne room full of snow. All these remarks about a million people waiting to be turned undead, etc. I would expect:

Cersei sends their existing forces to take back territory while waiting on the Golden Company to arrive. NK flies in and nukes the city, then raises it. Million dead march north.

And perhaps Jamie returns to take charge of the Golden Company once they arrive, with Cersei either dead or having fled.
What if the dragon shadow we saw flying over Kings Landing in Bran's vision is actually the Night King's dragon

I loved the fact that there was a real show of power from a key character at a critical time in the series, but I would have made it a little more spectacular myself. Most likely I would have added a lot of people on the safe side to witness it. I would have wanted to see Dany and Jon and all the armies of the Seven Kingdoms be only a view distance away when it happened. I would have loved to see their faces. It would have been an amazing scene. Instead all we got was one more "Oops I'm not really dead, or am I?" character moment - one that just happened to Tormund last episde and now again...

You wanted the entire battle to have happened then and there? Right...

Volimar

That's pretty interesting. And thanks for putting it in spoilers.

I'd call that a plot hole. Why could that Wight cross the wall, but not Benjen or the WhiteWalkers?

Recall that Benjen said he couldn't cross the wall because the barrier prevents the undead from doing so...

The wight didn't cross the wall, he was brought past it by the Nights Watch who thought he was dead.

RDreamer

That was a mostly pretty decent episode especially compared to some of the bullshit the rest of this season.

My issues:

Why would Littlefinger immediately admit to his murder? I found that a bit weird. He should have admitted AFTER Bran said something only he could have known, not before.

Also, the tension with Littlefinger vs Starks wasn't genuine. I feel was only created by me assuming the writers were actually awful enough to write Sansa as falling for Littlefinger. My wife felt about the same, too. The whole thing felt like it was Writers vs Starks, who will win!?

Brann's conversation with Sam felt weird and forced. He knows everything yet suddenly he's like "Wait, what, I didn't know that?" to Sam's info. Didn't make a lot of sense. Should have had the scene as though Brann knew but was prodding Sam in order for him to give information to Jon since it would come through a trusted source.

Cersei's little plot with Euron didn't make a lot of sense. Did she tell him to believe literally anything they put forth and stomp out?

Theon's ball kick survival would have been better if they hadn't had the guy kick him there three fucking times. It became a bit too cartoon comical.

Dunno wtf was up with Tyrion's creeping.

I'm calling it ; only the first half of the next season will be spent dealing with the Army of the Dead, and the last half will be spent dealing with Cersei's war.

Man that would be kind of dumb to do convincingly. They spend 7 seasons hyping up the army of the dead and dispatch them in 3 episodes? Ugh

Vic_Viper

I thought the implication was more that Theon became used to dealing with pain after being tortured by Ramsey for so long. I don't think he would have tired the other guy out otherwise

Thern won because no matter what he was never going to stop, no matter how bad the odds or how hurt he became. He's at a point where he knows what he needs to do and will finally stop at nothing, even if it kills him.

If you watch the scene again, the guy he was fighting was starting to get super tired and once he started wasting his energy on numerous ball shots, Theon finally got the upper hand. He was totally willing to die for this cause and probably would have if he still had balls to tap lol.

My biggest question from the episode is why didn't the Mountain kill Jamie! I was totally waiting for him to strike. Didn't expect him to kill him since Jamie could just run away. But he didn't even try which was weird. Biggest surprise of the episode imo was Cersei giving the order though.

duckroll

I think the finale was pretty satisfying considering how weak this season was overall. Very little in the finale is earned, but ignoring that the actual conclusions are pretty solid. The dragonpit meeting was cool. The zombie looked really good. Hound/Brienne, Tyrion/Bronne, Tyrion/Podrick, Cersei/Tyrion, Theon/Jon, Cersei/Jaime, all really solid character scenes.

Littlefinger went out like a little bitch but it was good to see him go. Not sure why the Northern Lords were all content with watching two girls pull a mock trial and just cut the throat of the Lord of the Vale, but whatever. He's scum anyway. Bran/Samwell was pretty bad. Ragger Taggy's "wedding" was so cheap and underwhelming. Jon x Dany while Tyrion is "watching", and Bran narrates through it... was so weird. Can't win em all I guess.

The ending was awesome though. Straight up World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Night King. Full phantasy. I'm glad they remembered to put in the giants in the crowd again!

Overall this season would be.....

4 > 7 >>>> the rest >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 6 > 3

And in terms of seasons so far....

6 >>> 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 7 > 5

Volimar

That was a mostly pretty decent episode especially compared to some of the bullshit the rest of this season.

My issues:

Why would Littlefinger immediately admit to his murder? I found that a bit weird. He should have admitted AFTER Bran said something only he could have known, not before.

Because Sansa saw him kill her. It's not very smart to call the person passing judgment over you a liar.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm really glad the last season isn't set up to be good vs evil. Cersei is still there to fuck shit up, and Jon's lineage is going to cause a lot of political trouble.

As much as I despise him, little finger was actually right about Jon becoming romantically ingratiated with Daenerys. It's going to cause a lot of problems, just like Robb's relationship with that nurse.

Admitting guilt right away also wasn't the best course of action there and seemed very un-Littlefinger to me.

He is in Winterfell, surrounded by her people. Vale dude didn't trust finger anyway so denying would be worse because they all would believe Sansa over him. He assumed Sansa trusted him after all this time, his blindspot was her.

pretty sure the other aegon baby was killed, thus they named jon aegon to hopefully be king one day knowing he was the last. That is why they are both named the same

Absolutely nothing surprised me in that episode.

Everything played out exactly as it was outlined.

And I didn't read a single damn leak this season.

I was actually kinda disappointed something out of left field didn't happen.
I'd say the most shocking revelation in the fseason/finale is that Jon isn't a bastard from a rape. His parents clearly loved each other.

And that he has a true name.

I think the finale was pretty satisfying considering how weak this season was overall. Very little in the finale is earned, but ignoring that the actual conclusions are pretty solid. The dragonpit meeting was cool. The zombie looked really good. Hound/Brienne, Tyrion/Bronne, Tyrion/Podrick, Cersei/Tyrion, Theon/Jon, Cersei/Jaime, all really solid character scenes.

Littlefinger went out like a little bitch but it was good to see him go. Not sure why the Northern Lords were all content with watching two girls pull a mock trial and just cut the throat of the Lord of the Vale, but whatever. He's scum anyway. Bran/Samwell was pretty bad. Ragger Taggy's "wedding" was so cheap and underwhelming. Jon x Dany while Tyrion is "watching", and Bran narrates through it... was so weird. Can't win em all I guess.

The ending was awesome though. Straight up World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Night King. Full phantasy. I'm glad they remembered to put in the giants in the crowd again!

Overall this season would be.....

4 > 7 >>>> the rest >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 6 > 3

And in terms of seasons so far....

6 >>> 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 7 > 5
4 > 6 > 3 > 1 > 2 > 7 > 5

Need to think more on 7, might rank slightly differently over time. Episode 6 just really put me off lol

So... how would the Army of the Dead have gotten through the Wall if not for Viserion?

Without a dragon, were they just going to wait next to the Wall forever? What was their plan?

The magic was done when Bran crossed the wall. So they would've scaled it and then opened it from the other side, or the giants would have pulled the gates open with the chains from Hardhome.

RDreamer

pretty sure the other aegon baby was killed, thus they named jon aegon to hopefully be king one day knowing he was the last. That is why they are both named the same

But wasn't that during the war/after Rhaegar's death? I thought they were killed because Robert had won the war at that point.

Nere

Bran to Sam: I can see things all over the world, I can see Jon coming with Daenerys here, why did you come to Winterfell?

If he can see everything why did he ask him why he came and since he can see everything how come he didn't know about the marriage annullment?

Faynwulf

Brann's conversation with Sam felt weird and forced. He knows everything yet suddenly he's like "Wait, what, I didn't know that?" to Sam's info. Didn't make a lot of sense. Should have had the scene as though Brann knew but was prodding Sam in order for him to give information to Jon since it would come through a trusted source.

Bran to Sam: I can see things all over the world, I can see Jon coming with Daenerys here, why did you come to Winterfell?

If he can see everything why did he ask him why he came and since he can see everything how come he didn't know about the marriage annullment?

Someone on Reddit said it pretty good. Bran can see everything, but he as to look for it. Imagine it like Wikipedia. The knowledge is there but just because you visit the site doesn't mean you are omniscient.
Bran would've need to actively look for that moment to see it. Which he did after Sam told him.

Volimar

The magic was done when Bran crossed the wall. So they would've scaled it and then opened it from the other side, or the giants would have pulled the gates open with the chains from Hardhome.

Absolutely no evidence that this is the case. People continue to say this with authority though there's nothing to back it up except "yeah but that one time with the cave" despite the fact that we don't know if the magic was different or even if Bran still had the mark when he crossed the wall.

witness

So how is Cersei's plan going work? There is no way that Danny will just assume she is sending her army North. Between her Dothraki and her dragons Danny has the best scouting abilities in Westeros (except for maybe Bran). There is no way she get's caught off-guard here.

I think that's the idea though, she's completely unhinged and her plan is so narrow focused on her only that will fall apart. Even though she saw the bigger picture right in front of her face she refused to come to terms that at this point it's not about her and the iron throne. It will be her undoing and I can't wait to finally see her get her just do.

Absolutely nothing surprised me in that episode.

Everything played out exactly as it was outlined.

And I didn't read a single damn leak this season.

I was actually kinda disappointed something out of left field didn't happen.

If the writers had followed through and made
Cersei kill Jaime
, that would've been genuinely shocking, in the way GoT used to be. It would've advanced the plot and changed our perception of
Cersei
into someone who had become completely unhinged, capable of anything.

As much as I like
Jaime
now, having him killed for refusing to obey
his sister's
orders would've been a genuinely tragic but redemptive end to his character. Very few characters actually died this season,
Baelish
being the most prominent.

RDreamer

Someone on Reddit said it pretty good. Bran can see everything, but he as to look for it. Imagine it like Wikipedia. The knowledge is there but just because you visit the site doesn't mean you are omniscient.
Bran would've need to actively look for that moment to see it. Which he did after Sam told him.

Still doesn't make any sense. I mean I guess that explanation makes sense, but it makes Brann a fucking moron that knows everything, somehow.

Brann: JON SHOULD KNOW THIS PERTINENT INFORMATION THAT HE'S A DIFFERENT KIND OF BASTARD

Sam: Uh, actually the information I have is what's pertinent.

Brann: Yo, whaaaaaat. Pix or it didn't happen.

Like, if he thought he had info Jon should really know then A) he should research it more and look at those 'wikipedia articles.' and B) the information should actually be something Jon should know... and it wasn't really until Sam said something.

televator

But wasn't that during the war/after Rhaegar's death? I thought they were killed because Robert had won the war at that point.

Yeah, pretty sure Aegon number 1 and fam were killed at the very end after KL was taken. Which I think was after Aegon number 2's birth.

Volimar

Still doesn't make any sense. I mean I guess that explanation makes sense, but it makes Brann a fucking moron that knows everything, somehow.

Brann: JON SHOULD KNOW THIS PERTINENT INFORMATION THAT HE'S A DIFFERENT KIND OF BASTARD

Sam: Uh, actually the information I have is what's pertinent.

Like, if he thought he had info Jon should really know then A) he should research it more and look at those 'wikipedia articles.' and B) the information should actually be something Jon should know... and it wasn't really until Sam said something.

Sam left the Citadel before editing that page and has a shitty data plan.

Despite a few head-scratching moments, this was still ultimately a very satisfying finale for me.

- Man, the subtle facial expressions by the cast is always so on-point. That "yes, yes--wait what?" look on Littlefinger's face when Sansa turned it on him really made that scene. Jaime's face when Cersei gives the bluff nod to The Mountain...devastating. I thought for sure he was gonna down right there. And as always, Brienne's piercing stare...

- The Dragonpit meeting was a great moment...really glad they dialed back the Hollywood blockbuster ride we've been on in recent weeks. They let the characters deal in words, which is GoT at its best. The tension was so damn heavy.

Stuff I didn't really get:

- What's the point of Cersei's double-cross? Isn't it the same net value essentially as her original order to not hold the truce? Dany and Jon were gonna have to take their show North anyway without her troops, so it's not like Cersei's word changed anything. Not sure what her play is with this deception. What is gained compared to simply sticking with her previous decision?

- So what were the WW's going to do without the dragon? Seems like that was their only way across the wall. Did no one on the team ever wonder how the dead would even make it through? And that maybe potentially gifting them their siege weapon by sending the dragons out there would basically be the only way they could actually lose?

Top Bottom