• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

RDreamer

Yeah, pretty sure Aegon number 1 and fam were killed at the very end after KL was taken. Which I think was after Aegon number 2's birth.

At the very least the events were close enough that if the name was a replacement because of the killing it would have been chosen really recently.

So I don't think it was because his other kid was killed. It was because he wanted his good kid to have that name, probably.

Volimar

We don't know that the Dragon was their only way and Jon and company had no way of knowing that either. If your enemy is massing and marching south to an impenetrable wall, it behooves you to react as if they have a way to get through it.

Stuff I didn't really get:

- What's the point of Cersei's double-cross? Isn't it the same net value essentially as her original order to not hold the truce? Dany and Jon were gonna have to take their show North anyway without her troops, so it's not like Cersei's word changed anything. Not sure what her play is with this deception. What is gained compared to simply sticking with her previous decision?

- So what were the WW's going to do without the dragon? Seems like that was their only way across the wall. Did no one on the team ever wonder how the dead would even make it through? And that maybe potentially gifting them their siege weapon by sending the dragons out there would basically be the only way they could actually lose?

If Cersei says she's not going, Dany and Jon can't really afford to focus 100% on the WW because they know they're vulnerable to attacks. With her pledging to help, they're all in on the white walkers.

televator

At the very least the events were close enough that if the name was a replacement because of the killing it would have been chosen really recently.

So I don't think it was because his other kid was killed. It was because he wanted his good kid to have that name, probably.

I agree, but it's still really stupid. Older brother dead or no, it's fucking stoooopid.

Volimar

If Cersei says she's not going, Dany and Jon can't really afford to focus 100% on the WW because they know they're vulnerable to attacks. With her pledging to help, they're all in on the white walkers.

She's also buying time for the golden company to arrive.

RDreamer

- What's the point of Cersei's double-cross? Isn't it the same net value essentially as her original order to not hold the truce? Dany and Jon were gonna have to take their show North anyway without her troops, so it's not like Cersei's word changed anything. Not sure what her play is with this deception. What is gained compared to simply sticking with her previous decision?

Her original order would have Dany pretty split. Her going all in would leave herself pretty vulnerable. If they think Cersei's going to come help then she'll send everyone off to the north while Cersei waits for her mercenaries who can now just float in to KIng's Landing unopposed.

Crazy how they needed to punctuate Jon and Dany hooking up, something seemingly everyone wanted to see, with the knowledge of Jon's true heritage.

Dude just banged his aunt, no?

Ydelnae

Bran: I'm the Three-Eyed-Raven now
Sansa: What does that mean?
Bran: it's complicated

Meera: What does that mean?

Sam: What does that mean?
Bran: I can see the past and the future, things that I didn't physically witness.

The way he rushed the Jon revelation as if he was conscious that the episode runtime was coming to an end lol

They'd be worried about the WW's coming from the North and Cersei potentially coming from the South. This way they can assume their efforts to North, and Cersei and her men who were supposed to come and help, will really just attack. Now they're really sandwiched...But, I'm sure Jaime will get there in time to tell them, might not make it any easier of a fight though, but a little more prepared for it.

hobozero

LF's death was anticlimactic but served a deeper satisfaction of seeing Sansa mature to the point she is no longer anyone's tool. The ultimate twist is that LF taught her how to play the game like an expert, and that will make her a force for the rest of her life. A queen who is a master spider, backed up by a sister that is a Faceless Man assassin.

And to be honest, I can't help but feel they were foreshadowing it pretty hard that King's Landing will be surprise attacked by the Night's King. Dany's vision of the broken throne room full of snow. All these remarks about a million people waiting to be turned undead, etc. I would expect:

Cersei sends their existing forces to take back territory while waiting on the Golden Company to arrive. NK flies in and nukes the city, then raises it. Million dead march north.

And perhaps Jamie returns to take charge of the Golden Company once they arrive, with Cersei either dead or having fled.

Oh man! That would mean
zombie elephants
!!! Fuck yeah!!!

- So what were the WW's going to do without the dragon? Seems like that was their only way across the wall. Did no one on the team ever wonder how the dead would even make it through? And that maybe potentially gifting them their siege weapon by sending the dragons out there would basically be the only way they could actually lose?

My impression is the Night's King has some kind of telepathic/foresight ability similar to Bran, and knew at some point he'd be able to force the dragons to appear.

What I want to know is, how did Cersei know Euron was feigning fear/running away after he saw the WW?

RDreamer

How does Euron even have enough boats to bring 20,000 men across the sea anyway?

Also I'm guessing Theon's going to have a decently easy time getting Yara back. He'll find an undefended Iron Island, unless Euron took her with. I don't know why he wouldn't take her with as prisoner in his ship though.

Sansa: What does that mean?

Meera: What does that mean?

Sam: What does that mean?
Bran: I can see the past and the future, things that I didn't physically witness.

The way he rushed the Jon revelation as if he was conscious that the episode runtime was coming to an end lol

He didn't say the future but the present.

televator

Crazy how they needed to punctuate Jon and Dany hooking up, something seemingly everyone wanted to see, with the knowledge of Jon's true heritage.

The audience in general must be like:
giphy.gif

Rixxan

Hibberd had a good blurb on that in his write up

http://ew.com/recap/game-of-thrones-finale-dragon-wolf/

"Here’s what’s really weird about Jon and Dany’s romance: We all started watching this show with our anti-incest feelings clear and intact. Thrones introduced an incestuous relationship between Cersei and Jaime in the pilot, and we learned Daenerys is also the product of incest (the Mad King marries his sister). We gradually got to know these characters, accepted who they are, and, to some degree, accepted how incest plays a role in who they are.
For all of season 7, we’ve been certain-ish that Jon and Dany are related. Yet most fans are rooting for them to get together. Game of Thrones established incest as part of its fantasy world — it’s not celebrated but also not uncommon — and then kept Jon and Dany apart for so long, separately growing them as awesome, heroic, and sexy characters. So we feel both of them deserve romantic happiness and we know they’re compatible in so many rare and uncommon ways. Even as their courtship has felt rushed this year, we begin this episode wanting to see Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen hook up. Story-wise, this is a stealth accomplishment: Game of Thrones has gradually convinced millions of fans around the world, over several years of storytelling, to root for something they would normally consider totally disgusting and immoral."

Perfect way to (edit:try to)make all the perv ass shippers uncomfortable. You wanted it? You got it, along with some narration to remind you of what exactly it is that you're witnessing.

(Edit: Judging by a few heavy shippers in this thread, it didn't matter)

Theorry

Well that sexual tension is now gone lol.
Cersie still being a bitch. Jaime finally says screw it. Good for him. Better bring Bronn to.

Nameless

LF's death was anticlimactic but served a deeper satisfaction of seeing Sansa mature to the point she is no longer anyone's tool. The ultimate twist is that LF taught her how to play the game like an expert, and that will make her a force for the rest of her life. A queen who is a master spider, backed up by a sister that is a Faceless Man assassin.

And to be honest, I can't help but feel they were foreshadowing it pretty hard that King's Landing will be surprise attacked by the Night's King. Dany's vision of the broken throne room full of snow. All these remarks about a million people waiting to be turned undead, etc. I would expect:

Cersei sends their existing forces to take back territory while waiting on the Golden Company to arrive. NK flies in and nukes the city, then raises it. Million dead march north.

And perhaps Jamie returns to take charge of the Golden Company once they arrive, with Cersei either dead or having fled.

Viserion The Great Undead ice nuking King's Landing would be a crazy visual.

Hound to the Mountain “You know who’s coming for you. You’ve always known.” We gonna get a fight in S8?

If we don't fuck everyone involved in this production forever.

They just had Summerslam without the Kain vs. 'Taker main event, they're already on my shit list. I'm really worried it's going to get pushed off to the point it's basically irrelevant in the scope of everything else that's happening, which would be super disappointing.

Ydelnae

Yeah, I also think the WW will somehow show up in KL first, with the final battle taking place in Winterfell. If they reach Winterfell early next season, it's pretty much gone since they won't make the good guys win the first battle.

I think Winterfel has plot armor, while they are telegraphing King's Landing as soon to be Westero's Raccoon City

RDreamer

Hound to the Mountain “You know who’s coming for you. You’ve always known.” We gonna get a fight in S8?

If they really wanna get fan service-y, they could have Hound and Arya team up to infiltrate King's Landing and take out Cersei and the Mountain together.

Her original order would have Dany pretty split. Her going all in would leave herself pretty vulnerable. If they think Cersei's going to come help then she'll send everyone off to the north while Cersei waits for her mercenaries who can now just float in to KIng's Landing unopposed.
They'd be worried about the WW's coming from the North and Cersei potentially coming from the South. This way they can assume their efforts to North, and Cersei and her men who were supposed to come and help, will really just attack. Now they're really sandwiched...But, I'm sure Jaime will get there in time to tell them, might not make it any easier of a fight though, but a little more prepared for it.

But it seems like that was her plan in the beginning, right? That's why she had Euron sneak out of the meetings like that. If that's the case, why did she even decline the truce in the first place? It just seemed kinda unnecessary to me (although it did give us additional great scenes, like Tyrion-Cersei, then Jaime-Cersei).

Just finished the whole season in one night. I really liked it.
Except for one thing - the dragon being controlled/taken over by the Night King. I really dislike that trope of an ally being turned against the protagonists through some villain's control. Its too cartoony. That why The Mountain seems so silly to me as well.
But I guess dragon vs dragon fights are cool.

So how many more seasons do we have left?

Ralemont

not me
I think I'll like the "get a wight" plotline a lot more narratively if Jaime ends up being the most important character to taking down the Night King somehow. The wight was never going to win Cersei over, but it convinced him enough to finally leave her.

Denali

Just finished the whole season in one night. I really liked it.
Except for one thing - the dragon being controlled/taken over by the Night King. I really dislike that trope of an ally being turned against the protagonists through some villain's control. Its too cartoony. That why The Mountain seems so silly to me as well.
But I guess dragon vs dragon fights are cool.

So how many more seasons do we have left?

The Mountain wasn't ever an ally though, was he? He was still protecting the queen... only he could talk.

Don't really know what the say about the NK raising allies though. That's his whole schtick, literally his entire army were former allies of some living folk.

RDreamer

I think I'll like the "get a wight" plotline a lot more narratively if Jaime ends up being the most important character to taking down the Night King somehow. The wight was never going to win Cersei over, but it convinced him enough to finally leave her.

It would give his "Kingslayer" nickname a new meaning.

But it seems like that was her plan in the beginning, right? That's why she had Euron sneak out of the meetings like that. If that's the case, why did she even decline the truce in the first place? It just seemed kinda unnecessary to me (although it did give us additional great scenes, like Tyrion-Cersei, then Jaime-Cersei).

Because she probably wasn't going to decline had Jon bent the knee to her.

This would ensure that once the WW were defeated, Jon would stay loyal and protect the realm from Dany.

Once he said he already bent the knee to Dany, Cersei was out.

The idea of Euron leaving is a little sketchy to me, but probably still part of the play, if anything goes wrong, you leave, we'll work it out later.

As long as Jamie Lannister doesn't die, I'm okay. My heart fucking dropped when Cersei gave the nod to Ser Gregor.

I'm actually emotionally attached to the following characters to the point of emotional devastation if they die:

Jamie Lannister
Davos Seaworth
Brienne of Teeth
Jorah Mormont
Sandor Clegane
Bronn
Tormund Giantsbane

These seven characters would WRECK ME if they died. Season 8 will be tough for me.

Kayhan

As long as Jamie Lannister doesn't die, I'm okay. My heart fucking dropped when Cersei gave the nod to Ser Gregor.

I'm actually emotionally attached to the following characters to the point of emotional devastation if they die:

Jamie Lannister
Davos Seaworth
Brienne of Teeth
Jorah Mormont
Sandor Clegane
Bronn
Tormund Giantsbane

These seven characters would WRECK ME if they died. Season 8 will be tough for me.

I foresee sadness in your future.

But wasn't that during the war/after Rhaegar's death? I thought they were killed because Robert had won the war at that point.

Yeah, pretty sure Aegon number 1 and fam were killed at the very end after KL was taken. Which I think was after Aegon number 2's birth.

Lyanna dies shortly after giving birth to Jon but as Ned is there to rescue her. The exact timing hasn't been solidified, I don't think, but there would be no reason for Lyanna to fear that Robert would kill Jon if he hadn't already done it to other Targ children. Without Aegon1's death, Jon isn't an aire.

The Mountain wasn't ever an ally though, was he? He was still protecting the queen... only he could talk.

Don't really know what the say about the NK raising allies though. That's his whole schtick, literally his entire army were former allies of some living folk.

Right. I guess its just mind control of somewhat established character that I dislike. I don't mind if its just random unknowns.

And maybe this is my memory failing me but we haven't seen any of the protagonists facing a character they used to know, but as a white walker have we?
I kind of enjoy that the antagonists have unbelievably crazy numbers instead of "oh we have a dragon too." Its just too cartoony.
And yeah, I realize how the cartoony the show can be. I guess this is my threshold.

Perfect way to (edit:try to)make all the perv ass shippers uncomfortable. You wanted it? You got it, along with some narration to remind you of what exactly it is that you're witnessing.

(Edit: Judging by a few heavy shippers in this thread, it didn't matter)
It certainly didn't 😁

Loved them hooking up.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but nobody has explained out loud that Valyrian Steel also kills White Walkers/wights correct?

Seems weird that Jon wouldn't have brought it up considering both Jaime and Brienne were there with Valyrian Steel swords.

It's all pointing to the main threat hitting
or coming from
Kings Landing. If the final defence was to be there then it would most likely mean Jon and Daenerys have failed.
I reckon it gets hit at the beginning of next season by the Night King and Ice Dragon, then Cersai is turned into a White Walker (is that possible, I only saw the baby get turned?) and takes to the role happily, whilst maintaining control over Sir Gregor. Would wrap up all the antagonists into a neat little bundle. An army of the dead coming from the population of King's Landing striking north and the Army heading South with everyone else in the middle trying to survive.

Megatron

Just finished the episode
The only part I don't understand, why didn't the mountain kill Jaime there and then when Cersei nodded?

The subtle nod that conveys the nodder's every intention to the recipient is always a stupid cinematic tool. What, did they spend time practicing that, with her nodding and explaining to Ser Gregor what each nod means? Seems like a really inefficient way of communicating and would be really easy to misinterpret. But it looks cool on screen, so who cares?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous

Jamie Lannister
Davos Seaworth
Brienne of Teeth
Jorah Mormont
Sandor Clegane
Bronn
Tormund Giantsbane

'Brienne of teeth'?????? lololololol

And isnt Tormund done for now?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but nobody has explained out loud that Valyrian Steel also kills White Walkers/wights correct?

Seems weird that Jon wouldn't have brought it up considering both Jaime and Brienne were there with Valyrian Steel swords.

I don't think so. Maybe it is already established that Valyrian steel is a mix of dragon glass and steel so it doesn't have to be explained.

Top Bottom