• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

I think people who criticize the show for handling the LF death "without evidence" forget where they were. Every person in that room knew what kind of a man LF was. In that context, Sansa didn't really need to prove anything. LF felt the pressure. He knew not a single person would come to his rescue there.

He couldn't weasel his way out of this one. He didn't have the shield of kings landing. He played a dangerous game, trying to turn the girls against each other in their own home.

LF really overplayed his hand. He only had the vale army by order of Robin to retake Winterfell. Everyone from the Vale viewed LF as an interloper. They wouldn't kill LF because he had won favour with Robin, but they wouldn't rush to his defence either. So LF tries to win Sansa's allegiance by helping to take Winterfell, he fails at the former, yet remains in Winterfel. Standing in dark corners looking shifty. Then Arya shows up out of nowhere and suddenly LF has this plan turn her against Sansa. He knows next to nothing about her yet presumes that if he has suspicious meetings with people she will take notice, follow him, pick his lock to his room, and find a note hidden in a tiny hole in his bedding. This note, he believes, would cast no suspicion on himself and is enough to turn Arya against Sansa despite all the hardship the Starks have suffered. Somehow he thought this would win him favour and trust with Sansa, even though Sansa is at home in Winterfell and can basically trust everyone but LF.

It really didn't take Bran's powers to allow this plan to fail. LF got desperate and sloppy.

sam12

Ok what? She is. She's been learning from the best manipulators in the game, and Arya has been learning in other manners how to be a strong fighter/assassin. Sorry to break it to you, but Arya would never be able to swindle a Vale army to help her, or control the Northern houses like Sansa after Jon left, nor would Sansa stand like a dumbass on a bridge in Braavos when faceless assassins can be anyone.

They've been blatantly clear to give each of the last 4 children strengths/weaknesses
- Sansa politics/manipulation, weak physically/can't fight
- Arya soldier/assassin, no sense for politics
- Jon soldier/war general, meteoric stupidity in politics
- Bran seer/exposition, can't walk/no humanity

It's pretty much an RPG class system but specifically for the Starks.

that member is biased against Sansa for whatever reason, can't make people understand anything unless they don't want to

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
i think it will go this way

Daenereys will get pregnant - Jon will die after fulfilling his prophecy (similar to Gandalf in LOR) - Show will end with Daeny and her Son
When did Gandalf die?

So can someone clarify, is Varys a good guy or is he still a sneaky snake like Littlefinger.

Always assumed the two of them were the ones pulling all the strings, but it seems like he's always been a Targ ally.

Does he want Dany because she's a good person, or does he just fiercely loyal to Targs, or does he have other motives?

Seems too late for him to do anything grand at this point

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Whew the racial purity implications if Daenerys gets pregnant from Jon later on are kinda unsettling to me, especially coming out of the themes of restoring the Targaryen line to strength with Daeny's rise to power. If it turns out she had been unable to get pregnant this entire time because she was "magically" (Rhaegar and Lyanna prove that there's no logical reason for this to happen, as they were able to conceive a Targaryen-Stark child) rejecting of non-Targaryen seed... MEH. Already kinda weird being a viewer and watching two of my favorite characters have unknowing incestual sex, would hate to see them magically get turned into poster child fantasy examples of racial supremacy if Daenerys does end up pregnant after having sex with Jon and the reason is because he's Targaryen.

:(

Dany got pregnant through Drogon remember lol? Something happened in that tent when the witch was performing the black magic thing. Also, Rhaegar had two children with Ellia Martell, and the Martells were brought into the kingdom due to marriage pacts. They can have children with other people easily. The Targaryens practiced incest for Dragon controlling purposes more likely.

Dany's bit with the non pregnancies were more likely some BS that witch put into her head as Jon pointed out.

It's ok that member is biased against Sansa for whatever reason, can't make people understand anything unless they don't want to

556607.gif

For the record, I like Sansa, and have said that time and time again.

I just think she's less intelligent than half the people give her credit for. There's a divide, some think she's dumb, some think shes smart. Whats the problem with that? For now, there is no right or wrong answer given the context we've got.

sibarraz

Banned
I fail to see how Sansa is a master politician when from most of the series, she was a damsel in distress, then a pawn of littlefinger tactic, to only now make a bold decision

It sucks GOT became a zombie show instead of a "game of thrones". I personally preferred it before the zombies came but now that plot has taken over. It is still entertaining but I miss the crazy.

Surfinn

LF really overplayed his hand. He only had the vale army by order of Robin to retake Winterfell. Everyone from the Vale viewed LF as an interloper. They wouldn't kill LF because he had won favour with Robin, but they wouldn't rush to his defence either. So LF tries to win Sansa's allegiance by helping to take Winterfell, he fails at the former, yet remains in Winterfel. Standing in dark corners looking shifty. Then Arya shows up out of nowhere and suddenly LF has this plan turn her against Sansa. He knows next to nothing about her yet presumes that if he has suspicious meetings with people she will take notice, follow him, pick his lock to his room, and find a note hidden in a tiny hole in his bedding. This note, he believes, would cast no suspicion on himself and is enough to turn Arya against Sansa despite all the hardship the Starks have suffered. Somehow he thought this would win him favour and trust with Sansa, even though Sansa is at home in Winterfell and can basically trust everyone but LF.

It really didn't take Bran's powers to allow this plan to fail. LF got desperate and sloppy.
Yeah. And I like how his underestimation of children was his undoing. He could handle all the major players in Westeros but failed to recognize Sansa and Arya as a part of his game.

The greatest threat was right under his nose, slowly evolving.

Lot of assumption. If Dany gets pregnant, it does not necessarily mean it's only because they're both Targaryens.

There is a practical reason for the Targaryen practices of incest, as it ensures their bloodline continues to be able to ride dragons.

Targaryens have been married to other houses. Aemon's brother King Aegon V was married to Betha Blackwood(Riverlands House, blood of the First Men). Others have married with House Martell(Rhaegar and previous Targs), houses with Valyrian roots, House Dayne etc.
The purity reason is just monarchy bs, just like historical monarchs in the real world.

I know the practical reason about bloodline and being able to command dragons and such. I had the impression that Daeny would think about a future where that didn't matter too much due to her generally progressive notions about a better world within Westeros.

I'm kind of worried because the show seems to be hammering home the point that Daeny seemingly can't conceive children several times this season. It also made official, even with heavy handed implications in the past, that Jon is also partial Targaryen. Then they have sex to end this season.

If Daeny reveals that she's become pregnant next season, and the only reason the show can point to is "oh it's because she slept with another Targaryen!," despite the greater lore acknowleding Targaryen compatibility with a wide range of other houses/humans, I feel like it heavy-handedly validates racial purity, on the backs of what were seeming to be relatively progressive-leaned characters.

I also understand and get the political drama that might come about from Jon learning of his Targaryen heritage, and I'm okay with that aspect, but if Daeny is able to conceive a child with Jon and seemingly no one else and the only proof is because he's got Targaryen blood, then I think that's a really lame creative choice.

They seem to constantly chalk up how much more powerful Daeny was as a Targaryen compared to some of her more direct ancestors, too, and this season finale had the explanation given about how small and weak the dragons had become due to the various forms of corruption her more direct ancestors had adhered to, and lent it to the reason for their weakness. If the strongest Targaryen in a long time is suddenly also only compatible to procreate with another Targaryen, it's literally fantasy saying "the strongest could only create more strong children with another of its own ilk," which I feel kinda flies in the face of all the isle of misfits fighting for their place in the world theme that I get from Daeny and her team.

EDIT:

Dany got pregnant through Drogon remember lol? Something happened in that tent when the witch was performing the black magic thing. Also, Rhaegar had two children with Ellia Martell, and the Martells were brought into the kingdom due to marriage pacts. They can have children with other people easily. The Targaryens practiced incest for Dragon controlling purposes more likely.

Dany's bit with the non pregnancies were more likely some BS that witch put into her head as Jon pointed out.

yes, I hope so...

Heshinsi

So can someone clarify, is Varys a good guy or is he still a sneaky snake like Littlefinger.

Always assumed the two of them were the ones pulling all the strings, but it seems like he's always been a Targ ally.

Does he want Dany because she's a good person, or does he just fiercely loyal to Targs, or does he have other motives?

Seems too late for him to do anything grand at this point

He told her straight up, I'm not being loyal for the sake of it. Prove to me that you deserve loyalty and you've got my unwavering support. Which is way she told him to come to her face to face to correct her if she messes up.

He does have that bit in season one where he tells that one dude in the cellars that the lion and the wolf would be at each other's throats. So it is weird, as Dany correctly points out, that Varys was working to get Visarys the crown even though he would have known what kinda person he was.

^ Dude, you're reading too much into this. Dany got pregnant, and she lost the child through dark magic. She believes that the witch fucked her up. Jon point blank tells her, "did you ever think that the witch wasn't a good source of information?"

The bit about her family isn't about corruption through blood, but rather the fact that they locked their dragons up in that arena, and they continuously got smaller and smaller. House Targaryen was special because of their dragons, and by locking them away, they diminished and so did the power and glory of her house.

aBarreras

It sucks GOT became a zombie show instead of a "game of thrones". I personally preferred it before the zombies came but now that plot has taken over. It is still entertaining but I miss the crazy.

i mean, the franchise is called "a song of ice and fire", game of thrones is just the name of the first book

nubbe

Aegon will surely sacrifice himself to save everyone, has done that multiple times already.

Dany will have a child, all the hints point at it. But depending on when in the timeline the next season starts, she might already have given birth.

I can't see the next season starting with Aegon and Dany just arriving at Winterfell. It need to kick off in the middle of the invasion to get anywhere.
Can't take 6 episodes for the white walkers to reach King's Landing

The opening scene of the series is about those "zombies". So really, it was that before it became about the game of thrones. ;)

Hydrus

Dany and Jon will live. We already have had THREE death by childbirth deaths ( Ironically Dany's mom, Jons mom, and Cersie's mom), so I don't seem them doing a fourth childbirth death again. Jon has died once already and was brought back to lead Westeros to a better future. I see them both living by the end. Also don't forget about Melissandre and Beric. She said she will return to Westros to die. My guess is there will a scene where dany dies, but next episode she gives her the kiss of life and brings her back. Same goes for Beric and Jon.

Iorv3th

Does anyone else think Cersei might be pregnant with Euron's kid?

Jamie had no idea she was making these plans with him to go get the golden company etc. She could have been fucking him without Jamie knowing as well (in order to keep Euron around, he doesn't seem like someone that would stick around for nothing).

But the witch told her she would only have 3 kids, so maybe she dies before this one is even born.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So where is Melissandre in all of this and what happened to the magic that was the black shit coming out of her?

sam12

556607.gif

For the record, I like Sansa, and have said that time and time again.

I just think she's less intelligent than half the people give her credit for. There's a divide, some think she's dumb, some think shes smart. Whats the problem with that? For now, there is no right or wrong answer given the context we've got.

Right so why does it bother you if someone says she is smart? What's with the snarky responses of "lol k?" You stick to your opinion and let others stick to theirs or maybe provide a better counter point than "lol k"

I think Sansa's probably the smartest Stark.

Jon's cute but he's dumb as a post.

Bran, despite having all the wisdom of the world at his fingertips, doesn't seem to be able to grasp even the most basic shit.

Arya's got cunning to spare, but she's impulsive and short-sighted.

Sansa might not be a genius, but if you need a Stark to be able to juggle two thoughts in their head at once or look more than five minutes into the future consequences of their actions, she's basically all you've got.

kaiju

There were "zombie's" in the first episode of Season 1. Your logic sounds far-fetched.

Nothing's even happening on screen when they're reacting like that. I was watching some clips from this bar last week. It's kind of entertaining, in a "How overdramatic can this room full of hipsters behave?" kind of way.

Notice it's always the same couple folks right in front for those, and they always ham it up. They really want people to notice them.

Volimar

Who watches TV like this??

8FKiZvs.png

Nothing's even happening on screen when they're reacting like that. I was watching some clips from this bar last week. It's kind of entertaining, in a "How overdramatic can this room full of hipsters behave?" kind of way.

It's the last scene and they're expecting Night King fuckery. Jeez not everything has to be nitpicked to death.

There were "zombie's" in the first episode of Season 1. Your logic sounds far-fetched.

I am just saying the main plot has turned to fighting white walkers over battling for the throne. I personally enjoy the battle for throne plots over the white walker plot. it is still an entertaining show I just miss all the crazy stuff.

someday

Banned
Why I could totally see Cersei became the Night Queen?
I was going to post something like this! The NK kills everyone up north then makes his way to KL. He sees Cercei and pierces her heart with dragonstone and turns her to his Night Queen. They hold hands and face the camera. The End.

Or something like that.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Who watches TV like this??

8FKiZvs.png

Tommund has been set up by the showrunners as a very likeable character. he is very well liked. my wife was upset that they were going to kill him off.

as for watching in bars, its been a tradition since forever. seinfeld was pretty big back in the day.

Surfinn

I am just saying the main plot has turned to fighting white walkers over battling for the throne. I personally enjoy the battle for throne plots over the white walker plot. it is still an entertaining show I just miss all the crazy stuff.
Why not both? Cersei is gonna be playing the game all the way up until the night king is sitting on her throne

Right so why does it bother you if someone says she is smart? What's with the snarky responses of "lol k?" You stick to your opinion and let others stick to theirs or maybe provide a better counter point than "lol k"

I made a post, he replied to me, I replied to him, he replied to me, I replied to him, then you stuck your nose in our conversation, why does it bother you if two people are discussing something? Do you need to stick your opinions in to others conversations? Why not provide proof instead of just saying that someone can't accept something for fact?

You're not annoying, nope, not at all.

I'm done with this convo with you.

don't even know why i responded to a storm trooper, they're filler around here like the red shirts in ep 6 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nice.

Heshinsi

Dany's and Cersei's babies will get married to make peace

Nah, the Lannisters need to be booted from power. If people think Aerys II was bad, Tywin Lannister was a house eradicating mass murderer at levels Aerys couldn't even dream of. Just the sacking of KL almost assuredly resulted in more deaths than Aerys ever personally had done on his orders in the throne room.

I think Sansa's probably the smartest Stark.

Jon's cute but he's dumb as a post.

Bran, despite having all the wisdom of the world at his fingertips, doesn't seem to be able to grasp even the most basic shit.

Arya's got cunning to spare, but she's impulsive and short-sighted.

Sansa might not be a genius, but if you need a Stark to be able to juggle two thoughts in their head at once or look more than five minutes into the future consequences of their actions, she's basically all you've got.

100% the truth. The only season where I've truly hated Sansa was really the first season. I've always believed that no Stark could have survived where she survived. She's the smartest of them, and I was really excited to see what she would do with how she ended season 4. But it is good to see her finally showing glimpses of that character we were robbed off in season 5.

Cels

does sandor know that his brother was poisoned and then qyburn did some weird science on him?

or has he just seen his brother for the first time in a long time and sees that his face is all fucked up and wonders what happened

Kadayi

Banned
Dany will have a child, all the hints point at it. But depending on when in the timeline the next season starts, she might already have given birth.

Nah things are going to move fast. There's no way it's going to take 9 months for the dead to get to Winterfell, plus assuming Beric and Tormund head to Castle Black and get a Raven south, the living will know what they are now up against in the form of undead Viserion.

In truth though, I don't think Winterfell will hold out and I expect the Dead will win there and push the living back, though I dare that eventually, they'll prevail but at a terrible cost.

Top Bottom