• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Well I think that term itself is well known.

But I mean, the actors comments in the clip have me question it, and now I'm back to thinking he might be legit out and Cersei doesn't know it yet.

No I meant that as an actor on this show, you should have the basic knowledge that the White Walkers are the dudes practicing necromancy, and the zombies are their thralls lol.

They keep name dropping this Golden Company too many times for them to not materialise. I think him wanting to marry the queen is going to overrule the self preserving part of his brain.

Rhaegar already had an heir named Aegon and Lyanna should've been aware of that; even if Lyanna was the one to name him. And we don't know if that's the case, that's just the fans filling in the blanks again.

Rhaegar had an aire named Aegon that was dead before Jon was born. Aegon is a Targaryan family name. This isn't difficult to parse. Rhaegar dead, Rhaegar's other children dead, Lyanna literally dying minutes after Jon's birth... She gives him a full Targ family name to signify his birthright.

As for fans filling in the blanks... That doesn't matter because we're not talking about anything further than how "dumb" or whatever it is that Jon's name is Aegon. And the reality is that it isn't all that dumb in Westeros, it's just annoying to viewers who find it confusing.

Who watches TV like this??

8FKiZvs.png

Nothing's even happening on screen when they're reacting like that. I was watching some clips from this bar last week. It's kind of entertaining, in a "How overdramatic can this room full of hipsters behave?" kind of way.

The red circles are on the wrong areas of focus.

Heshinsi

Tyrion probably struck a deal with Cersei involving her child becoming Dany's successor. That's why he's all "fuuuuck" with Snow and Dany hooking up, possibly conceiving. It'd make sense considering the hamfisted BUT WHAT ABOUT YOUR SUCCESSOR thing they did earlier.

Yay more forced drama, with something that lasts all the way to point when Jaime tells them Cersei intends to fuck them up. They better not do this shit, it's so dumb.

jelly

Isn't blue fire hotter than orange/red?

The blue part of a flame, yes.

I think Jon and Dany are going to double team the zombie dragon, all smiles and congratulations when they kill it during a big battle then let their guard down and one of them dies. Bran takes over Dragon duties and kills the Night King.

Tyrion probably struck a deal with Cersei involving her child becoming Dany's successor. That's why he's all "fuuuuck" with Snow and Dany hooking up, possibly conceiving. It'd make sense considering the hamfisted BUT WHAT ABOUT YOUR SUCCESSOR thing they did earlier.

I hadn't actually thought of this, but Tyrion withholding that would be a stupid play, the show's writers would nev-

0AiKHWy.jpg

Rhaegar had an aire named Aegon that was dead before Jon was born. Aegon is a Targaryan family name. This isn't difficult to parse. Rhaegar dead, Rhaegar's other children dead, Lyanna literally dying minutes after Jon's birth... She gives him a full Targ family name to signify his birthright.

As for fans filling in the blanks... That doesn't matter because we're not talking about anything further than how "dumb" or whatever it is that Jon's name is Aegon. And the reality is that it isn't all that dumb in Westeros, it's just annoying to viewers who find it confusing.
Aegon is also the name of the first Targ king. People name their kids after great people all the time. No different here.

Slaythe

I don't know seems very obvious "pregnancy" and heir will be a big theme next season.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jamie die in battle, Cersei lose her child, eventually stealing Jon and Dany 's son.

Both will die in some tragic but romantic way or sacrificing kinda thing. Or one of them, the other might get back stabbed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cersei winning with a baby Targaryen at her sides, eventually becoming king.

No I meant that as an actor on this show, you should have the basic knowledge that the White Walkers are the dudes practicing necromancy, and the zombies are their thralls lol.

They keep name dropping this Golden Company too many times for them to not materialise. I think him wanting to marry the queen is going to overrule the self preserving part of his brain.

Oh right, I missed that part regarding WW/Wight...Good catch and point.

You're right about the Golden Company and if the WW's really can't swim, then Euron really has nothing to lose. He gets paid to ship men over from Essos, they fall and the plan fails, he can still retreat to his island.

Lister

Banned
I think Jaime should have died in this episode. His story I think has been told. I don't see where this character can go form here where he isn't a pointless third wheel, a la Jorah. Plot armor is also rising to ridiculous levels.

Not sure where they are going with Cercei. She appears to be learning to play the game at a much higher level, takign advice from her father to heart. The entire manipulaiton of Tyrion both with the double cross alongsid Euron and convincing Tyrion to lower his guard the only way she could - playing the baby card.

But then she lets Jaime go, which is very likely to result in him telling the others of her plans, so the whole scheme goes out the window. I was sure the last exchange was going to be:

Jaime: "Then go ahead, give him the order to kill me!"

Cercei: "I already have."

::Sir Gregor's sword protrudes from Jaime's chest::

:: Cuts to Bronn being surrounded by Lanister guards::

Guards: "You have been summoned".

Bronn: "Shit."

Hmmm :/

Nameless

For his sake I hope Aejon pulled out, otherwise he might have to deal with his firstborn being his first cousin(and Dany's niece or nephew). Cersei and Jaime will also be having their own niece or nephew for the 4th time. Neither situation is quite as bad as Little Sam being Gilly's brother, but still... Gotta say I wanted better for Jon but here we are. Some things can't be undone.

"Everytime a Targaryen is born the gods flip a coin"

One of these incest babies is going to be a monster. Westeros is fucked if it's Dany and Jon's. Imagine Joffrey inheriting two dragons after his parents died.

zer0das

Banned
Cersei telling Jaime that he was the dumbest Lannister had be coughing from laughter. That whole scene was the me of the best scenes of the entire season. Jamie's desperation in trying to get his psychotic sister to realise the stupidity of her actions was beautiful.

"Someone is going to win, you do realise that?! If the dead win, they're going to come south and kill us. If the Northerners win, they're going to remember we betrayed them, and come and kill us!"

Cersei: "I'm good!"

Hahaha!

Mercenaries are always completely reliable after all!

What's funny is Cersei's awful plan falls apart if a single person stayed back at King's Landing to join in their march North. Like "Hey uh....we goin' anytime soon? Oh, we aren't? K. I'll go let Dany know."

Heshinsi

Shouldn't Viserion have a giant hole in his neck? The zombie bear didn't seem to be healed magically healed from the wounds that killed it, so I don't understand how Viserion isn't bellowing fire out of the side of his neck. Also, how the fuck did the Night King make him move so damn fast, and also give him a more powerful type of fire breathing? The Children of the Forest need to be brought back to life and questioned as to what the fuck they were thinking.

Isn't blue fire hotter than orange/red?

I always though so myself but just googled out of curiosity.

Blue flames aren't always hotter than yellow flames, because the color of light emitted by the flame can depend on exactly which atoms and molecules are in the flame

The inner core of the candle flame is light blue, with a temperature of around 1800 K (1500 °C). That is the hottest part of the flame. The color inside the flame becomes yellow, orange, and finally red.

But, this is magic fire since it's coming from a reanimated corpse so none of that may apply.

Episode was ok, but I expected more surprising deaths from the penultimate season finale. Suppose I'm glad Littlefinger finally got the knife though, and I expect Arya to take his face for next season.

Other predictions for next season:

1. Turns out Danerys actually *can* have children, they only said she couldn't because being a dragon descendant, she can only be impregnated by another dragon descendant - such as Aegon Targeryen...... Nevermind she's his uncle, that's just how it works in the dragon bloodline, and is completely normal.

2. Arya lands the killing blow on Cersei. They've hinted at this for so long now it almost has to come true.

3. Hound vs. Mountain finally happens in all its glory. And it had better be glorious as all hell, given how long we've waited.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I think Jaime should have died in this episode. His story I think has been told. I don't see where this character can go form here where he isn't a pointless third wheel, a la Jorah. Plot armor is also rising to ridiculous levels.

Not sure where they are going with Cercei. She appears to be learning to play the game at a much higher level, takign advice from her father to heart. The entire manipulaiton of Tyrion both with the double cross alongsid Euron and convincing Tyrion to lower his guard the only way she could - playing the baby card.

But then she let's Jaime go, which is very likely to result in him telling the others of her plans, so the whole scheme goes out the window.

Hmmm :/

I think her letting him go is the final bit of humanity/weakness in her. She couldnt bring her self to do it and he called her bluff. I take it as showing us she still has a little bit of love left inside her, and that was probably the last time we will see her do anything "nice" again.

Rhoc

I don't want to see Aegon die again he is by far my favorite character in the show but sadly I can see it happening. I hope that he atleast dies a heroic death and he gets his own statue somewhere years later and be a symbol for courage and honour.

I think her letting him go is the final bit of humanity/weakness in her. She couldnt bring her self to do it and he called her bluff. I take it as showing us she still has a little bit of love left inside her, and that was probably the last time we will see her do anything "nice" again.
This was the one moment of Cersei I really liked this season.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So much of this season felt really forced. The writers clearly have an ending provided by GRRM, and are working towards that outcome at the expense of logic for the most part. So much of that is born of trying to justify Cersei's continued existence tbh.

For example - Daenerys not sacking King's Landing straight away. She had a greater army. She had three dragons. I know the show tried to justify it as being 'better for the people' if she doesn't attack directly, but the suggested alternative - an extended siege - would be even worse for them. I mean hell, she didn't even need to really use the dragons to attack the city. Just have them burn through one of the gates so that the Unsullied can get in, and you're done. They could have been well on their way to unifying the realm in preparation for the walkers already, but Cersei must live, and so the writers have the characters make ridiculous decisions.

The same could be said for Arya. I don't really believe that she would return to Winterfell in the books. Or at the very least that she would have hung around for so long after finding out Jon wasn't there. She spent years becoming a faceless man, and takes a break right after killing the Freys? Nah. Cersei is on her list. She'd absolutely be heading to kill her next in the books. But again, the writers can't allow Cersei to be killed, so they had to come up with something else for her to do instead.

Then there's the whole capture the wight fiasco. I imagine the writers decided early on that the Wall would be coming down this season, and decided that the Night King could use a Dragon to do it. So that meant they had to come up with way to get the dragons north of the wall, and it all came together in a really clumsy way imo.

The purpose of not sacking King's Landing was laid out in several scenes by Tyrion and the Spider. There is hope within Dany to claim the throne by means other than strength and carnage. They have a vision of her breaking the cycle and sowing a better future for Westeros. An assault is easy, but everyone will merely view her as yet another conqueror demanding to bend the knee(regardless of how much better her rule may actually be). This is imperative for her to avoid if she wishes to be taken seriously as the true ruler.

On the Arya bit. She didn't abandon her humanity to become faceless really(she just wanted its secrets for her revenge list), doesn't at all surprise me that she chose curiosity of hope in Winterfell and delayed her mission. She's been alone and surviving for a long time, she's still Arya Stark, her mission is fully Arya's, and if her home is once again a haven for her, you better believe she will take a pause and run back to confirm.

I'll agree with you that this season had PLENTY of clumsy moments though, and thus it is spiraling and rushing to some bulletpoint conclusion outline in a somewhat scattered and occasionally illogical way.

Heshinsi

Other predictions for next season:

1. Turns out Danerys actually *can* have children, they only said she couldn't because being a dragon descendant, she can only be impregnated by another dragon descendant - such as Aegon Targeryen...

She was impregnated by Drogo and would have more than likely delivered a healthy child if not for the witch. Come on guys, this isn't some deeply hidden piece of information lol.

Pagusas

Elden Member
After all the shit Cersei put Jamie through, being herself and putting family first is what sent Jamie over the edge.

He saw the undead and finally, after everything, realized this whole thing is bigger than him and his family, that if they dont work together now family and children dont mean a damn thing.

Also pretty sure he fully realized "I'm the bad guy".

SgtCobra

She was impregnated by Drogon and would have more than likely delivered a healthy child if not for the witch. Come on guys, this isn't some deeply hidden piece of information lol.
Yeah the witch straight up killed the child as a revenge against them. Or he could've been used as a sacrifice for healing Drogo (but then the death of his horse would've been for nothing I guess)

Any chance Tyrion knows of Jon's ancestry?
Nah I don't think so.

Eidan

People who know they are on camera and going on youtube. They're playing up on purpose.
Every time I see people post those bar reaction videos, I notice the same people are always in the same place every week.

How very perceptive of you. You'll also notice that they appear in supplementary videos hosted by the bar owner where they talk about the show, and introduce themselves as friends of the bar owner and regular patrons. They even jokingly refer to themselves by the nicknames they've been given in YouTube comments.

Heshinsi

I don't think it's dumb. It makes sense to me, for all involved.

It is 100% stupid on Tyrion to make a deal like that. First of all there's the bit where yet again he's going out of his way to trust a woman he knows is a conniving, backstabbing, lying shit head. Like how many times in a single season are going to fuck things up just so you could bend over backwards for the woman who tried on multiple occasions to kill you?

Secondly, Tyrion is in no position to be offering Cersei that sort of deal, and on top of that, hiding it from his queen. He cannot decide for Dany who her successor is. Even Catlyn Stark with all her idiotic tendencies, still came back to Robb to have him make that final decision. Tyrion deciding that for Dany is so out of character, and would make him the single dumbest character this show has ever had.

And finally, it's all a moot point the moment Jaime shows up with no army.

After all the shit Cersei put Jamie through, being herself and putting family first is what sent Jamie over the edge.

-Seeing the other side face to face and they act generally reasonable, including Tyrion
-Seeing the undead for the first time
-Admonished by Brienne
-Increasingly frustrated about everything Euron-related
-"I always knew you were the stupidest Lannister"
-Being left out of the loop on all of Cersei's plans

Lorcain

I think Jamie will be a major hero in the campaign against the Night King. To your question, his untold story would be about redemption and honor. I even think the writers may have his character earn a better version of king slayer. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility for Jamie to be the character that lands the killing blow on the Night King, or Jamie and Brienne.

Either way, I think there's more to his story. I believe his King's Guard bio is about to get a lot more impressive.

Heshinsi

Why did Danny bring 2 dragons? Why not leave one behind, why show your hand?

I think that was more for the "where did her second dragon go" crowd from the past week lol. Qyburn knew that Dany wasn't in their party, and he also knew that she hadn't been spotted for awhile. I'm quite confident he would have sooner or later gotten information that told him there's only two dragons flying around.

Mercenaries are always completely reliable after all!

I'm wondering why an essos mercenary company complete with war elephants would travel to westeros at the very start of winter knowing: the dothraki hordes are there, dragons are there, the unsullied are there, it's winter and they are going to have to fight in winter, and there can't possibly be enough food to feed everyone, it's going to be difficult to get back home, and they may learn that the north wall has fallen to an undead army marching south. No amount of money could possibly convince them to take those odds.

TAD

She was impregnated by Drogo and would have more than likely delivered a healthy child if not for the witch. Come on guys, this isn't some deeply hidden piece of information lol.
I know, Jon (was it?) literally says "she may not have been the most reliable of sources" about the witch.

Top Bottom