• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I have not finished the entire read but skipped to number 1 anyways. Was not surprised.

Vox article.

Game of Thrones season 7: each character's strategy, ranked by political science.

Edit:
white_walkers.0.jpg

One of my favorite shot of the episodes. Right along with snow falling on to Jaime's gloves as he puts it on his gold hand.

All the "why" questions for Dany have one answer to them, Tyrion. Why did she not burn down the Red Keep that sits on an isolated cliff away from the city? Tyrion. Why did she not use her dragons to hunt down and destroy Euron's fleet? Tyrion. I'm seriously losing faith in him.

The perfect man for the job as he's quite adept in the art..

LMAO!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How can the dead walk when they have no connective tissue?

The necromantic magic serves as connective tissue.

Consider, if the necromantic magic is also what makes Viserion fly, how come the NK can't just make himself fly?

giphy.gif

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

Consider, if the necromantic magic is also what makes Viserion fly, how come the NK can't just make himself fly?

giphy.gif
To be honest, I was thinking the same thing. I know it's fiction, but this series doesn't do a great job of following its own internal logic.

SupaNaab

Sam told Gilly what an annulment was. He was annoyed and preoccupied with other things, but he heard her.

You ask why writers remind people of details. Seems like people actually need it.

IIRC the reason Gilly would have had the book was that Sam finished inscribing it.

duckroll

They could chuck a piece of dragonglass at Viserion and the magic animating him should break.

Obviously they're not going to but there's no reason why it shouldn't, unless the NK being in contact means the magic is unbreakable.

Scorpion + Dragonglass bolt?

Last night when he melted the Wall with blue fire.

Or are you asking me when was it confirmed blue flames are hotter than orange?
No I know that he was using blue fire and I know blue fire is hotter than yellow fire. My point is, with the NKing possessing the hotter fire, he could (accidentally) destroy his own army before the other dragons could.
Agreed. Reading others calling him "Aegon" cringes me out.
Jon Targaryen's good enough.
Yeah I'll take Jon Targaryen any day. Although I still hope Dany calls Jon by his birth name like Vegeta calls Goku Kakarot.
I don't see yellow in the gif, it's blue then white.
but the blue is near the source, ie hotter.
exactly...
We know Aegon 1 was dead because we know that Ned was at the tower in Dorne when Lyanna dies after giving birth to Jon but we also know that Ned was at the Sacking of Kings Landing and had a falling out with Robert over the Lannisters killing the Targaryen children. They only became close again later on after Lyanna dies.
How is Jon being in Dorne a confirmation of Aegon 1 being dead? The only confirmation we got from that scene was that Rhaegar was dead. For all we know, Aegon & Rhaela were murdered after he was.

Lyanna is from House Stark and ALL the Lords and Ladies of the houses know the lineage of the Targaryen's. It makes perfect sense that she would name her son with Rhaegar after someone from his family now that we know they loved each other and were married and he was dead when Jon was born.
I'm not saying Lyanna shouldn't have given Jon a Targaryen style name, I'm saying why the fuck give him the same exact name that Rhaegar's other son, Jon's half brother, already has? She should have named him Jaehaerys.
It's a moot point considering that regular dragon fire is already plenty hot enough to wipe out any enemy, army or defensive position. Hot enough to turn people into ash, melt castles, the works.

It's more like Team Living have a couple of 10KT nukes and the Night King has one 20KT nuke. A weapon of even-more-mass-destruction.
yeah, that's true. But we don't know what the NKing is really thinking, though.
He probably also watches them poop.
gross

Bran is into all the kinky shit now

zewone

No I know that he was using blue fire and I know blue fire is hotter than yellow fire. My point is, with the NKing possessing the hotter fire, he could (accidentally) destroy his own army before the other dragons could.

I understand that and I agree.

My original argument was that that White Walkers magic had enhanced the dragon and my proof of that was the blue flames.

giphy.gif

The necromantic magic also makes zombies and skeletons see... maybe the NK can use that on anything?

giphy.gif

Why was Jorah upset about Dany not riding her dragon north? Is it because he knows and is upset about what would happen if Jon and Dany are alone together?
I understand that and I agree.

My original argument was that that White Walkers magic had enhanced the dragon and my proof of that was the blue flames.
ah, I see. Yeah for sure the NKing's magical abilities for sure could play a role in all this. I was thinking he was breathing blue fire because their eyes are blue, and blue fire is conveniently hotter than yellow.

One thing about Viserion's eye though, at the end of the last episode, his eye looked sentient; like the White Walker's eyes; it didn't look like just a bright blue hue, like the zombies' eyes and the zombie polar bear from earlier in the episode.

televator

Bran: Man, what is taking cousin Aegon so long to get back? I've got important news to tel him. I know, I'll warg a raven and see what he's up to.

*Raven lands on Dany's ship port hole*

What is he doing in Dany's bed? *Hears Targeryen sex noises* Oh...

*Observes... observes... ... ... ... ... observes...*

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Why was Jorah upset about Dany not riding her dragon north? Is it because he knows and is upset about what would happen if Jon and Dany are alone together?ah, I see. Yeah for sure the NKing's magical abilities for sure could play a role in all this. I was thinking he was breathing blue fire because their eyes are blue, and blue fire is conveniently hotter than yellow.

One thing about Viserion's eye though, at the end of the last episode, his eye looked sentient; like the White Walker's eyes; it didn't look like just a bright blue hue, like the zombies' eyes and the zombie polar bear from earlier in the episode.

EL6NNzt.jpg

He made a White Walker from a dragon. This is why he had to touch it and not just lift his arms like in Hardhome. And these things are living creatures of some kind unlike wights if that baby is any indication. i am assuming it grows up into an adult but you never know.. NK might have a contingent of infant WWs to drop into cities.

edit:

And Qyburn going to be applying for a grant asap to puzzle out the mysteries of the undead. He might even go against Cersei if she impedes his studies into this.

Speely

Banned
I'm curious how Tywin would have dealt with seeing a wight. Do you think he calls a truce, or makes a play similar to Cersei?

I think he would have called a truce. He was wise enough to know that anything less would put his house at terrible risk.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
EL6NNzt.jpg

He made a White Walker from a dragon. This is why he had to touch it and not just lift his arms like in Hardhome. And these things are living creatures of some kind unlike wights if that baby is any indication. i am assuming it grows up into an adult but you never know.. NK might have a contingent of infant WWs to drop into cities.

Unlike th baby though the dragon first died. I don't think that dragon is a White Walker, but you are right in that he did his personal touch thingy. So maybe something that isn't a White Walker (not dead but turned, think warewolf), but also a bit more than a mindless thrall.

pablito

This so much. It must be frustrating when people say "they don't let us figure anything out and everything is obvious." While on the flip side others will forget pretty big details and blame it on shitty writing.

Granted the writing wasn't the best this season, someone asking who Rhaegar was is hilarious.

IIRC the reason Gilly would have had the book was that Sam finished inscribing it.

Yep. See even I missed that those were the scrolls he was transcribing. He actually wrote it and explained it to Gilly. He should absolutely be able to connect the dots.

How the fuck is Dorne "dead"? They lost 4 people, not the entire army that is over there. On top of that, Oberyn tha boss had like 50 kids (9) in total since he couldn't stop having sex with every woman in every continent in the world, so they had leaders if need be. Why is the show writers and tv writers putting them out as "dead" just because Oberyn's wife and 3/9 girls are dead?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Unlike th baby though the dragon first died. I don't think that dragon is a White Walker, but you are right in that he did his personal touch thingy. So maybe something that isn't a White Walker (not dead but turned, think warewolf), but also a bit more than a mindless thrall.

Hmm.. maybe one day we'll find out for sure.

duckroll

How the fuck is Dorne "dead"? They lost 4 people, not the entire army that is over there. On top of that, Oberyn tha boss had like 50 kids (9) in total since he couldn't stop having sex with every woman in every continent in the world, so they had leaders if need be. Why is the show writers and tv writers putting them out as "dead" just because Oberyn's wife and 3/9 girls are dead?

Dany didn't like the content so she requested a refund for the Dorne DLC.

VDenter

Banned

The shows wants everybody to forget about Dorne. No matter how little sense the exist from the show makes.

Speely

Banned

It's over and Do
r
ne.

Sorry :/ I am just half-assing it today. It's been a long Monday.

Sadist

Still, something doesn't quite fit; I assume the White Walkers are an extension of the Night King's powers and thats why he could raise the dead in Hardhome. Killed by something he created, thus they would become part of his army. But if thats the case, he killed the Dragon himself; why go through all that trouble with the chains? Would be cooler if he would have raised his arms and Viscerion would rise up from the ice.

Oh Well, budget I guess?

molnizzle

One thing I still don't get... why was Bran still under the impression that Jon was a bastard if he heard Lyanna call him Aegon Targaryen when she handed him to Ned?

Goodstyle

I'm curious how Tywin would have dealt with seeing a wight. Do you think he calls a truce, or makes a play similar to Cersei?

Interesting that you mention that, because what Cersei is doing with the wights is exactly what Tywin did in Robert's Rebellion... of course the Wights are less a generic army and more an existential threat. This is a good example of Cersei emulating Tywin, but removing his wisdom and perspective and jacking up cunning and power hungry-ness.

Cersei blaming Tyrion for that is some next level scretching.

She'll do whatever it takes to not have to feel responsibility or grief. Lena Headey said in an interview that it's totally a coping mechanism for her, she doesn't want to dwell on her mistakes, so she pushes them on other people. The problem with the "if Tywin hadn't died" logic is that if you follow it for long enough, you can still blame her for it since she pushed for Tyrion's trial and conviction more than anyone.

jerry113

Banned
This last episode was the only one I can think of where the dialog felt like the past seasons.

It was their A game.

I wonder if the events in this last episode are some of the events that GRRM told them about in private. The writers did say that GRRM gave them some of the "dots", but that the showrunners would write their own "lines" to connect those dots.

there's something else about Jaime flipping that I don't understand.

the first time he sees the zombie, he's horrified but not on board to work with Jon & Dany, because Cersei isn't.

then when Cersei comes back the Dragon Pit she says she'll help and Jaime believes him, later we see him giving his men commands about going north, but Cersei tells him she was lying, and then Jaime tries to argue about the zombie and the horror. All of a sudden then, but he wasn't arguing about it at first

Ishan

the first time he sees the zombie, he's horrified but not on board to work with Jon & Dany, because Cersei isn't.

then when Cersei comes back the Dragon Pit she says she'll help and Jaime believes him, later we see him giving his men commands about going north, but Cersei tells him she was lying, and then Jaime tries to argue about the zombie and the horror. All of a sudden then, but he wasn't arguing about it at first

he goes on his honour logic.

One thing I still don't get... why was Bran still under the impression that Jon was a bastard if he heard Lyanna call him Aegon Targaryen when she handed him to Ned?

this is a really good point, i haven't thought of this. the only reason we couldn't hear Lyanna say it last season is coz they didn't want the audience to know. but Bran was there, presumably he heard it...

duckroll

I slept on it and I still feel really good about the finale. The season was really mediocre but there were some good ass scenes this week. Theon/Jon. GOD DAMN. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. I dunno. It just worked so goddamn well.

this is a really good point, i haven't thought of this. the only reason we couldn't hear Lyanna say it last season is coz they didn't want the audience to know. but Bran was there, presumably he heard it...
I think he didn't hear it, as silly as it might seem. He was "physically" there just as we all were, and heard just as well as the rest of us. You think he would rewind that shit and get closer, but iunno.

If I remember right, when Tyrion shows up, Jamie had just been kicked out of Cersei's room for arguing against her that they should ally up.

How is Jon being in Dorne a confirmation of Aegon 1 being dead? The only confirmation we got from that scene was that Rhaegar was dead. For all we know, Aegon & Rhaela were murdered after he was.

I'm not saying Lyanna shouldn't have given Jon a Targaryen style name, I'm saying why the fuck give him the same exact name that Rhaegar's other son, Jon's half brother, already has? She should have named him Jaehaerys.

Because the timeline of events is Robert kills Rhaegar > Sack of Kings Landing > Ned finds Lyanna.

From last season:
https://youtu.be/xdGEqdanLWA

Young Ned Stark to Sir Arthur Dayne outside the Tower said:
"The Mad King is Dead. Rhaegar lies beneath the ground. Why weren't you there to protect your Prince.

So Lyanna is still alive and hasn't yet given birth. The Mad King is dead which happens right after he lets Tywin into Kings Landing thinking Tywin is an ally. And as soon as The Lannisters enter Kings Landing they sack the city and Tywin orders the Targaryens all killed. Ned shows up to Kings Landing during the sack and is disgusted by it. Robert shows up sometime later. They have a falling out. Sometime after that Ned arrives at the tower and finds his sister. Still later, after she's dead, Ned and Robert patch up their friendship over shared grief of her death.

Brienne got through to him. He only rejects her logic initially so as not to defy Cersei in public.

I think he didn't hear it, as silly as it might seem. He was "physically" there just as we all were, and heard just as well as the rest of us. You think he would rewind that shit and get closer, but iunno.

He did hear it.

But he assumed that he was born out of wedlock, so he would have still been called Sand, it wasn't until Sam pointed him towards the wedding that the pieces came together.

oh yeah there's something else I've been wondering - Cersei reveals to Jaime that Euron was lying about running away; rather they made a plan. Now, here's the thing...did Cersei expect the zombie to be real and all and have Euron make this plan, or did she talk to him after he left to make the plan? It kinda lessens the whole dragon pit scene if the Lannisters & Greyjoys were just prepared for the "horror" I guess.
It's the exact same clip they play in this episode though. I suppose we're just gonna have to roll with silly.
Because the timeline of events is Robert kills Rhaegar > Sack of Kings Landing > Ned finds Lyanna.

From last season:
https://youtu.be/xdGEqdanLWA

So Lyanna is still alive and hasn't yet given birth. The Mad King is dead which happens right after he lets Tywin into Kings Landing thinking Tywin is an ally. And as soon as The Lannisters enter Kings Landing they sack the city and Tywin orders the Targaryens all killed. Ned shows up to Kings Landing during the sack and is disgusted by it. Robert shows up sometime later. They have a falling out. Sometime after that Ned arrives at the tower and finds his sister. Still later, after she's dead, Ned and Robert patch up their friendship over shared grief of her death.
okay, you are right about the timeline. But I still think it's fucking stupid that Lyanna their child the same name that her husband already had. And I don't care if there is an in-universe explanation for it, because that would just be a weak point in the universe in my opinion. Jon should've been named Jaehaerys.
Dany's totally going to insist on calling him Aegon once she finds out the truth isn't she? lol
well she should, like Vegeta calls Goku Kakarot. Everybody else doesn't have to do it; Dany can be the only one.

Brienne got through to him. He only rejects her logic initially so as not to defy Cersei in public.
He didn't mention wanting to go north to Tyrion, though. He didn't talk about the zombie or the winter war at all. But yeah, I suppose you're right.
He did hear it.

But he assumed that he was born out of wedlock, so he would have still been called Sand, it wasn't until Sam pointed him towards the wedding that the pieces came together.
Doesn't he first say he's "Jon Sand" before Sam tells him that he's a legitimate born child?

edit: sorry for double post

Oberon

Banned
I think Dany will be happier about the news that Jon is actually a legitimate Targaryen instead of a bastard.
Because the latter would mean
she had Sand in her p***y
, and as we know that would upset anyone.

I am not sorry

Top Bottom