• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

I know folks want the satisfaction of the Starks or Jaime ending Cercei, but having the Night King confront her and suddenly her scheming doesn't mean jackshit is fitting comeuppance. Perhaps the dragon flying over King's Landing is the Night King's mount.

Man, I feel like so many characters are going to have unsatisfying conclusions to their stories. There's so much to fit into these last 6 episodes.

Like there's the whole war against the dead, the war against Cersei and the Golden Company, CLEGANEBOWL, Theon's redemption, political drama with Jon's heritage etc.

Like how are the Stark children going to have a satisfying ending? They've basically been the protagonists since the first episode, and now that Arya and Sansa have risen back to power in Winterfell I feel like there's not really any time for them to do much of anything.

Maybe Arya and the Hound can team up and tag team the Mountain, then afterwards Arya can slit the throat of a cowering Cersei.
As long as Podrick Payne makes it.

duckroll

Let's give the incest a recess and speculate about what the finale season could be.

SIX episodes. SIX boss set pieces. How could it go down?!

Episode 1 - Tormund and Beric flee back to Castle Black, rally the Watch and they hold back the undead army and fight a couple of giants while Jon and Dany make their way North with all the reinforcements.

BOSS BATTLE: DOORHOLDER HODOR (UNDEAD)

Episode 2 - The reinforcements arrive and aid in the retreat of the Watch further South. They try to hold a line but the undead dragon is too powerful. Gendry suggests the crafting of a powerful dragonglass weapon to take it down. Meanwhile Theon leads the Ironborn across the Narrow Sea to confront Euron and the Golden Company.

BOSS BATTLE: EURON "THE LAST STORM" GREYJOY

Episode 3 - With news of her mercenary support being cut off, Cersei turns desperate and prepares to make a deadly decision. Meanwhile in the North they prepare the Scorpion and the Dragonkiller Bolts and formulate a strategy to take down an undead dragon,

BOSS BATTLE: VISERION THE UNDYING

Episode 4 - With the Night King's dragon defeated, the final battle between Life and Death begins and Jon rallies all the might of House Stark to stand against the Longest Night the North has ever faced. Meanwhile Cersei's deception will fracture the future of the realm forever.

BOSS BATTLE: THE NIGHT KING

Episode 5 - With the dragons dead from Cersei's treachery and half the Westerosi forces decimated, the dead begin to overwhelm the living even with the Night King defeated. For now the dead have a new enemy - Cersei Lannister has abandoned her humanity to become THE QUEEN OF NIGHT. But before Aegon "Jon" Targaryen can approach this final enemy, she summons her champion.

BOSS BATTLE: GREGOR THE DEATHKNIGHT

Episode 6 - The epic end to the Song of Ice and Fire. As wolves, dragons, and men all stand as one, can they stop the Queen of Night before she turns all life to death? The portal to the underworld begins to open and she must be defeated!

FINAL BOSS: CERSEI, THE QUEEN OF NIGHT

Because when he was there the first time, he didn't know what he would find or that there was anything there worth listening to.

People do that all the time. Sort of tune out portions of conversations when they're having them or miss elements of dialogue in a show or movie they're watching.
This makes sense, I'll give you that, but it's just another example of the fans filling in the blanks. With the amount of terrible pacing this season, I think it's also easy to say that it's a plot hole/overlooking by the writers and showrunners.

Man, I feel like so many characters are going to have unsatisfying conclusions to their stories. There's so much to fit into these last 6 episodes.

Half might be dead before the end though.

Pretty much how it's been so far, so many characters have died without any satisfying conclusions, Robb probably being the biggest since the first few seasons were so heavily focused on his war and just like that, it was over.

I know folks want the satisfaction of the Starks or Jaime ending Cercei, but having the Night King confront her and suddenly her scheming doesn't mean jackshit is fitting comeuppance. Perhaps the dragon flying over King's Landing is the Night King's mount.

That could possibly be interesting actually. The Night King taking his forces to immediately seize the seat of power of the Living and the final battle being the Living vs the Dead at Kings Landing. The final battle of the great threat still somehow being over the Iron Throne. But where do they get the ships to bring their forces? Or do they just march wide of Winterfell and somehow the combined forces of Jon and Dany miss them?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Let's give the incest a recess and speculate about what the finale season could be.

SIX episodes. SIX boss set pieces. How could it go down?!

Episode 1 - Tormund and Beric flee back to Castle Black, rally the Watch and they hold back the undead army and fight a couple of giants while Jon and Dany make their way North with all the reinforcements.

BOSS BATTLE: DOORHOLDER HODOR (UNDEAD)

Episode 2 - The reinforcements arrive and aid in the retreat of the Watch further South. They try to hold a line but the undead dragon is too powerful. Gendry suggests the crafting of a powerful dragonglass weapon to take it down. Meanwhile Theon leads the Ironborn across the Narrow Sea to confront Euron and the Golden Company.

BOSS BATTLE: EURON "THE LAST STORM" GREYJOY

Episode 3 - With news of her mercenary support being cut off, Cersei turns desperate and prepares to make a deadly decision. Meanwhile in the North they prepare the Scorpion and the Dragonkiller Bolts and formulate a strategy to take down an undead dragon,

BOSS BATTLE: VISERION THE UNDYING

Episode 4 - With the Night King's dragon defeated, the final battle between Life and Death begins and Jon rallies all the might of House Stark to stand against the Longest Night the North has ever faced. Meanwhile Cersei's deception will fracture the future of the realm forever.

BOSS BATTLE: THE NIGHT KING

Episode 5 - With the dragons dead from Cersei's treachery and half the Westerosi forces decimated, the dead begin to overwhelm the living even with the Night King defeated. For now the dead have a new enemy - Cersei Lannister has abandoned her humanity to become THE QUEEN OF NIGHT. But before Aegon "Jon" Targaryen can approach this final enemy, she summons her champion.

BOSS BATTLE: GREGOR THE DEATHKNIGHT

Episode 6 - The epic end to the Song of Ice and Fire. As wolves, dragons, and men all stand as one, can they stop the Queen of Night before she turns all life to death? The portal to the underworld begins to open and she must be defeated!

FINAL BOSS: CERSEI, THE QUEEN OF NIGHT

Where are Dany and the baby in all of this? Hidden safely to reemerge when the new dawn rises I assume lol.

That could possibly be interesting actually. The Night King taking his forces to immediately seize the seat of power of the Living and the final battle being the Living vs the Dead at Kings Landing. The final battle of the great threat still somehow being over the Iron Throne. But where do they get the ships to bring their forces? Or do they just march wide of Winterfell and somehow the combined forces of Jon and Dany miss them?

The Night King was also was given the ability to know and learn German WWII blitzkrieg strategies. What were the Children of the Forest thinking?

Night King flies solo down to King's Landing and nukes everyone. Remember the vision of a dragon flying over the city.

Night King flies solo down to King's Landing and nukes everyone. Remember the vision of a dragon flying over the city.

And Dany's vision.

4ZIoAsi.jpg

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I hope the Night King decimates the Golden Company and turns them against Cersei.

Like "oh you have 20,000 elite mercenaries? Undead Dragon baby".

Undead elephants *DROOL*

So then Jon and Dany's forces face a war on two fronts? Could work I suppose. And would definitely put the living in a dire (no pun intended) situation.

Isn't that already going to happen with Cersei declaring she's going to take back parts of Westeros Dany took from her?

Isn't that already going to happen with Cersei declaring she's going to take back parts of Westeros Dany took from her?

It could but it would be the worst way for Cersei to execute her plan. It seemed to me more like Cersei will wait for Dany to take her forces North, then Cersei would take control of all the land south of The Twins and shore up her defenses, letting Jon/Dany and The Night King whittle each other down so that whoever is the victor is weaker as a result. I don't remember if they explicitly told Cersei that The Night King can add any recently killed to his forces. So if she doesn't know that, this would be the smartest way to do it from her perspective I think.

Creating a war on two fronts would definitely destroy Jon/Dany but it would also weaken her forces who would then still have to fight the dead themselves immediately after.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
OH

New problem.

If the NK burns human troops there's going to be nothing left to reanimate.

thinking.gif

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

id like to see the better part of an episode dealing with how the Night King turns all of Kings Landing by himself. He just flies on down, get off, kills one person, and the madness just spirals out of control as he turns all those that die.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
no worries dude

Eh I still disagree. Maybe he heard her call him aegon targ but thought she wouldn't want to call her only son by a bastard name right before she died. So she called him what she wanted plus sand leaves it ambiguous who the dad was (even though it's pretty clear it was rhaegar). So bran knew that by blood he was but thought his aunt may have been speaking wrongly in the moment since she was about to die

Eh I still disagree. Maybe he heard her call him aegon targ but thought she wouldn't want to call her only son by a bastard name right before she died. So she called him what she wanted plus sand leaves it ambiguous who the dad was (even though it's pretty clear it was rhaegar). So bran knew that by blood he was but thought his aunt may have been speaking wrongly in the moment since she was about to die

that's a whole lot of assumption Bran would be doing without any basis, especially since in that scene before Sam tells him that Rhaegar divorced Elia, he was aware that Jon's parents were Rhaegar and Lyanna. It wasn't unclear or ambiguous to him

edit: and don't forget it's the same exact clip they showed from the s6 finale

Robot Pants

It'll be Jamie. It has to be

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
that's a whole lot of assumption Bran would be doing without any basis, especially since in that scene before Sam tells him that Rhaegar divorced Elia, he was aware that Jon's parents were Rhaegar and Lyanna. It wasn't unclear or ambiguous to him
No I mean it was clear to him but if you're Leanna even if you're not married you'll probably say targarean just to make sure ned knows for sure or you just personally see it that way and don't want your last words to be a bastard name for your son. Since bran wasn't aware of the wedding he could easily have thought "eh well she's not gonna call him sand. What's the point in her dying moments to stick to decorum?"

Robot Pants

But then he pulls off his face and it's actually Arya.

And then her eyes change and you realise it was actually Bran.
Then his eyes turn blue and it was the Night King.
Then he morphs into Michael Cera and the real Michael Cera wakes up covered in sweat.
The whole thing was a Michael Cera fever dream

No I mean it was clear to him but if you're Leanna even if you're not married you'll probably say targarean just to make sure ned knows for sure or you just personally see it that way and don't want your last words to be a bastard name for your son. Since bran wasn't aware of the wedding he could easily have thought "eh well she's not gonna call him sand. What's the point in her dying moments to stick to decorum?"
that's very convoluted, in my opinion. Lyanna was probably educated, in her deathbed I don't understand why she'd be sentimental and hide the fact that she gave birth to a bastard; it's a child she won't be able to raise anyway, so she does what a Stark would do and tells the truth. again, keep in mind it's the same clip we see twice

I'm late to the party with my episode 7 reaction but god fucking damn what an awesome show. Episodes 5 and 6 had me worried but this episode was so fucking good i'm super hyped for the final season.

So many amazing moments. Jaime leaving King's Landing, Jon and Theon, Theon kneeling down and splashing himself with the seawater, Brienne and the Hound, The Hound sizing up his brother, and Arya with that brutal throat slit on Littlefinger.

Bring on those final six episodes!!!!!!!!

I question if the Golden Company will ever get any rea airtime. Part of me expects them to be thwarted or converted to undead almost instantly. Partially for budget reasons.

I like the idea of the GC arriving only to get instantly wrecked by the Night King and causing the undead to have a massive advantage. I want the hubris of both Cersi and the Iron Bank to get slapped down.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
that's very convoluted, in my opinion. Lyanna was probably educated, in her deathbed I don't understand why she'd be sentimental and hide the fact that she gave birth to a bastard; it's a child she won't be able to raise anyway, so she does what a Stark would do and tells the truth. again, keep in mind it's the same clip we see twice

And I'm sure that's what she was thinking, but bran may have thought differently as he can't read her mind. He probably thought she was simply saying targaeryan to be clear who's son it was and for sentiment. Not because she was officially declaring anything or thinking about laws.

And I'm sure that's what she was thinking, but bran may have thought differently as he can't read her mind. He probably thought she was simply saying targaeryan to be clear who's son it was and for sentiment. Not because she was officially declaring anything or thinking about laws.
I just don't see why they would show the same exact clip twice if that's the case. Honestly, there's no deeper meaning here other than a possible plot hole/overlooking of the writers.

Top Bottom