• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Gin-Shiio

When you think about it, Aegon Targaryen just rode his first dragon.

giphy.gif

I'm just gonna say it: Jamie Lannister's mounted charge toward Dany and Rhaegon was the most epic moment of the season. And it was, in terms of this series, probably the most incredible individual moment I've seen. He's the fucking best. Tell me someone else feels the same way.

Yup, that was easily the best moment of season 7.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
As many have said before, Tyrion is likely just concerned about the implications of them becoming romantically involved. Politically, as well as issues it may cause in the fight ahead. Love can create problems, and the least amount of complications right now the better.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone else find it a little weird that Jon has said nothing about being saved from death by his undead uncle who's been missing forever or expressed any interest in what the fuck that was all about? Ibkniw there are more immediate pressing matters, but you'd like to think he'd still be mad curious about it.

Yeah. That seemed super odd for Benjen to just show up for a single moment to save Jon and never appear again this season. It better not be the last we see of him.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
As many have said before, Tyrion is likely just concerned about the implications of them becoming romantically involved. Politically, as well as issues it may cause in the fight ahead. Love can create problems, and the least amount of complications right now the better.

But Tyrion knows all this from the last episode. He was the one to tell Dany that Jon was falling for her, and correctly put together that she named all the dudes who loved her. Like is Tyrion stupid or something?

This idea that love would be a distraction for them confuses me. There are thousands of people in the north that are going to be fighting for their lives while being in loving relationships. Fifteenth century Spain saw the union of two crowns that helped a unified force fight a common enemy. There's historical precedence for something like this, and these two seem to be actually falling in love.

It seems like Tyrion is still focused on the Iron Throne. So is he worried that if they survive, Dany might not care for the throne anymore? I mean if Dany sacrifices so much for the North, and the North truly accept her, maybe he's worried she may no longer have the drive to go back south.

sjboi

I agree with Cersei's point of view. Why should she lend help to this cause when Dany is just going to conquer/kill her eventually anyway, if and when the walkers are defeated? Fuck that.

I am surprised she let Jaime live. I thought for sure her love of him was more of a selfish love of her own male reflection, and she would punish his treachery with no questions asked. She's a bit more human than that, apparently. I don't know if I approve! It's obviously going to bite her in the ass, and she never really gave enough of a fuck about Jaime for THAT to be her downfall.

I don't think there's much to the Tyrion/Cersei speculation, they hate each other, it is known.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
But Tyrion knows all this from the last episode. He was the one to tell Dany that Jon was falling for her, and correctly put together that she named all the dudes who loved her. Like is Tyrion stupid or something?

This idea that love would be a distraction for them confuses me. There are thousands of people in the north that are going to be fighting for their lives while being in loving relationships. Fifteenth century Spain saw the union of two crowns that helped a unified force fight a common enemy. There's historical precedence for something like this, and these two seem to be actually falling in love.

It seems like Tyrion is still focused on the Iron Throne. So is he worried that if they survive, Dany might not care for the throne anymore? I mean if Dany sacrifices so much for the North, and the North truly accept her, maybe he's worried she may no longer have the drive to go back south.

Well, I think just because he pointed out to her that Jon longs for her doesn't mean he necessarily wants them to fall in love. Love can create problems because what if Jon is put in a situation where he has to choose between Dany and some strategy that will help win the war? Or vice versa.

Tyrion may have a lot of complex feelings within him about his family, but ultimately as far as his motivations go I actually think he's quite simple. I think he just wants peace. The guy was called an imp for most of his life and looked at as a reject. I think he just wants to live a happy life in a world that isn't constantly at war with one another and wants acceptance. Not sure he ever really wanted power. I don't think he takes himself seriously enough to want power, he's often self deprecating.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I agree with Cersei's point of view. Why should she lend help to this cause when Dany is just going to conquer/kill her eventually anyway, if and when the walkers are defeated? Fuck that.

I am surprised she let Jaime live. I thought for sure her love of him was more of a selfish love of her own male reflection, and she would punish his treachery with no questions asked. She's a bit more human than that, apparently. I don't know if I approve! It's obviously going to bite her in the ass, and she never really gave enough of a fuck about Jaime for THAT to be her downfall.

I don't think there's much to the Tyrion/Cersei speculation, they hate each other, it is known.

Because the way she announced her support shocked everyone there. She even added the bit about them hopefully not forgetting that she helped them without asking for any assurances. Well she is going to end up getting them to remember one thing for sure, that she betrayed them. So if she was worried about them coming to kill her earlier, they are for sure going to come and kill her now.

jxN3

Just finished the episode, god I love this show!

So many beautiful scenes, I love how many pay off scenes / reunions we had this season.

sfedai0

Banned
So whats gonna happen to Jaime? He just gonna do the lone samurai thing? Or is he actually gonna join up with his brother and turn against Cersei?

Qvoth

i still don't understand why the mountain didn't kill jaime right there and then when cersei nodded
also i didn't think jaime leaving cersei just because he gave tyrion and co. his word he will ride north is a strong enough reason to leave her in my view, he's literally an oath breaker when he backstabbed the mad king
i thought his love for her is too strong for such a thing to bring discord between them, that's my opinion anyway

Astral Dog

mr. Finger mistake was never accounting for a magical boy with mysterious raven powers that can see the past to appear that was his demise

Sorc3r3r

I stand for the Night King.
He will clean up Westeros from all these clueless people and grant a fresh start for the coming spring.

His intentions are clear, he's pretty focused and perfectly motivated.
He can do it.

Let's do this.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Jon better send some footage of the Night King riding Viserion to Essos 'cus he's coming after them once he's done in Westeros.

Tyrion betraying Jon/Dany would just be awful writing.

- You're the most awful person ever sister! You.....oh you're pregnant with my brother, again? Alrighty then, let's change things up.

Can someone summarize everything Littlefinger actually did that started the war? Every time I try and read about it, it's a long windy explanation and I just become confused.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Can someone summarize everything Littlefinger actually did that started the war? Every time I try and read about it, it's a long windy explanation and I just become confused.

He hooked up with Lysa Arryn, Cat's sister, and convinced her to murder her husband, Jon Arryn, who was the Hand of the King at the time. After doing this, Lysa sent Cat a letter telling her that the Lannisters had killed her husband.

When Bran got thrown out of the window by Jaime, it was unknown who did it to Cat, but Littlefinger took this opportunity to send an assassin to kill Bran, when they got the Valyrian dagger, he told Cat that he had lost that dagger to Tyrion, once again, framing the Lannisters against the Starks.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Something I noticed when going back and watching the episode again, not sure if anyone else caught it, it was very subtle.

When Dany swooped down on her dragon in the dragon pit, they showed Euron's face and it was basically like "Damn, maybe I should side with this chick if I want power, she's got a fucking dragon"

Not sure we'll ever get to that point, but Euron has absolutely no loyalty to anyone. Not sure why he wouldn't just side with whatever side he thinks will win the war and go join Dany(if he survives to that point).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Have you seen how eager Jon is to sacrifice himself for humanity? Or how fast Dany went to save him, putting herself at risk, before they even got together?

Tyrion is thinking long-term. He's afraid Jon might get her killed during the war. He's a new, uncontrollable variable. If he thinks he can save everyone by dying he will, unless someone has a better plan, and Dany will definitely try and save him, putting herself in that same sort of danger.

I mean, wouldn't you be concerned?

televator

I think Bron will realize he does kinda care about his buddies and Cersie will be a bit more demanding than even Jaime was and find there's nothing about her that he likes -- unlike Tyrion and Jaime. He might seriously think about defecting, but he's gonna want to tip things in his favor by freeing Elaria.

pringles

He tricked Ned Stark into thinking he would offer his support to seize control of the iron throne when Robert Baratheon died. Instead he sided with the Lannisters and Ned got his head chopped off which started the war of five kings.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
also i didn't think jaime leaving cersei just because he gave tyrion and co. his word he will ride north is a strong enough reason to leave her in my view, he's literally an oath breaker when he backstabbed the mad king
i thought his love for her is too strong for such a thing to bring discord between them, that's my opinion anyway

He's not leaving simply because he gave his word. He's leaving because fighting the dragons and Dothraki + seeing the wight made him realized how fucked they are and how delusional Cersei is.

Assuming his love for her and their (Euron's?) child is so strong, it only makes sense that he would leave her side to fight the only war that matters. He doesn't care about winning against other houses anymore if that means everyone, including his sister and their child, is doomed to a fate worse than death.

When Cersei said "you were always the stupidest Lannister", I wish he'd replied "it seems another Lannister took the crown from me just now". He's clearly much more sensible than he used to be, and his heart is in the right place. Cersei fails to see how much he's grown over the years, and that's because she herself became stupider and stupider as time went on. Not to mention paranoid and desperate. The Cersei of season 1 would never have killed Ned Stark - remember, Joffrey made that choice, she wasn't on board -, but the Cersei of season 7 would revel in it.

Something I noticed when going back and watching the episode again, not sure if anyone else caught it, it was very subtle.

When Dany swooped down on her dragon in the dragon pit, they showed Euron's face and it was basically like "Damn, maybe I should side with this chick if I want power, she's got a fucking dragon"

Not sure we'll ever get to that point, but Euron has absolutely no loyalty to anyone. Not sure why he wouldn't just side with whatever side he thinks will win the war and go join Dany(if he survives to that point).

He was probably thinking if she likes it gentle, or rough, THE FINGER IN DA BUM.

I wouldn't blame it all on Littlefinger. He didn't kill Robert after all.

Or did he?

Also Arryn and Ned snooping around Joffrey's legitimacy. If they'd just kept their noses out of it they wouldn't have had to do the honorable thing.

Yeah. That seemed super odd for Benjen to just show up for a single moment to save Jon and never appear again this season. It better not be the last we see of him.

Have they ever explained Benjen at all? Is he supposed to be like a wight but still with his own consciousness? He's not alive any more, because he said to Bran & co he couldn't pass through the wall, right?

Top Bottom