• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

That face after "I've seen them".

Also, not a spoiler....probably:

KXy0gyv.gif

That's the Brienne figure I have lol

Volimar

I think they do it for the casual fans who forget a lot of what goes on and forget who the characters are and where they've seen them before.

I would say to hell with the casual fans, but after every episode the thread is full of people not knowing the significance of this plot point or that one.

duckroll

that's what I was thinking too, but still. the casuals will watch the episode anyway and make do.

The show is made for "casuals". I would even suggest that the showrunners themselves are "casuals". This isn't some deep multi-layered character drama. This is a sex and violence fantasy romp with a cool setting and lots of money behind it.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Yeah, GoT wouldn't be nearly as big as it is without casuals. It's breaking ground, and the series finale could very well be the most watched episode of any fictional drama in the history of television. It's going to absolutely smash every record in the book. I suspect if it's legal to do so, movie theaters may even try to open up or sell tickets to air it on imax.

Speaking of that, since it's grown so big, it's basically become impossible to ignore, so a lot of people I know who have been "anti-GoT" because it's a "Nerdy dungeons and dragons kiddie show" started to watch it now, and I've been talking to a bunch of them about it and it's amazing how blown away they are by how great it is. All of them talk about how it's much different than they thought, they thought it was gonna be some cheesy Lord of the Rings spin-off type show.

One of the people I know who watched it was saying he really really had no interest and he's only watching it because his daughter basically forced him to. Long story short... he fully caught up(including season 7) in 3 weeks and it's now in his top 3 shows ever made.

The show is made for "casuals". I would even suggest that the showrunners themselves are "casuals". This isn't some deep multi-layered character drama. This is a sex and violence fantasy romp with a cool setting and lots of money behind it.
well it started off as a deep multi-layered character drama. then some of the layers got flattened.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Like a croissant on a humid day, what was once a flaky pastry with a thousand layers is now just a mass of buttery dough.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
There's trade-offs, but this very well could be my favorite season. Sure, it's sacrificed some character development, and you have to suspend your beliefs for all the quick traveling, but the parts I liked least about GoT leading up to the past couple seasons were those slow and drawn out Dany plot lines. They cut those out completely and it's for the better IMO. Especially when it's becoming more narrowly focused, could you imagine if they tried to sneak in long scenes of traveling in the middle of these episodes? It would destroy the pacing. You might get a little more character development in the process, but I think the trade-off would be a net negative overall.

You can't have a show going full throttle and then take random stops in action. That's why this past episode was played perfectly IMO. They basically dedicated an entire episode as a plot setup in between what was an action-packed episode and what will probably be two insane final episodes. This way the pacing was consistent all the way through.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
When all your children die, and you have no one to pass on your name... there is no question that he has to protect this child regardless of how disgusted he may be with her methods. Ends justify the means to him. He pretty much spelled it out.

So can we stop pretending Jaime is redeemable? When anything boils down to Cersei on one hand, and something else on the other, he almost always bets on Cersei. From punshing Bran out the window, to smashing his cousin's head in, to threatening to catapult Edmure's baby, to now this.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So can we stop pretending Jaime is redeemable? When anything boils down to Cersei on one hand, and something else on the other, he almost always bets on Cersei. From pung Bran out the window, to smashing his cousin's head in, to threatening to catapult Edmure's baby, to now this.

It's weird people pretend Jaime is some kind of hero now, I mean, yeah we now understand that he had a fucked up past and we learned to like him but he is still the guy that will throw a kid out of a window if he needs to. His conversation with Edmure Tully in season 6 told us that he is still a ruthless motherfucker who will do whatever needs to be done to protect Cersei, just like Cersei did anything in her power to protect her kids.

I mean, Jaime's charge at the dragon would have actually been a pretty boss way to go out, regardless of which side he was fighting on. I think the showrunners missed a trick, there.

Now he's in this position where he knows his kids are dead more or less entirely because Cersei's a scheming busybody who tries to blame it on everyone else, and doesn't acknowledge her personal responsibility even when directly confronted with it. That's kind of a do-or-die situation when it comes to pulling a Vader.

It's weird people pretend Jaime is some kind of hero now, I mean, yeah we now understand that he had a fucked up past and we learned to like him but he is still the guy that will throw a kid out of a window if he needs to. His conversation with Edmure Tully in season 6 told us that he is still a ruthless motherfucker who will do whatever needs to be done to protect Cersei, just like Cersei did anything in her power to protect her kids.
Cersei did anything in her power to stay in power

Heshinsi

I've seen more venom thrown at Dany for executing slavers and oath breakers like the Tarlys, than I have ever seen thrown Jaime's way for all the shit he's done.

Dude killed his own admiring cousin, just so he could make a doomed attempt to escape. Which led to Karstark's boy being killed; which in turn led to Catlyn freeing Jaime behind Robb's back; which led directly to the murder of two more Lannister cousins; that resulted in Robb executing Karstark for murder and Robb losing a good chunk of his army, and in the end causing him to ask Walder Frey for help. We all know how that ended.

Seriously, fuck Jaime. A few good things here and there doesn't mask the colossal asshole he is to everyone not named Lannister (and even then, he's a kinslayer).

Einchy

Cersei did anything in her power to stay in power

Yes, I'm aware you literally misunderstood every Cersei scene ever. We don't need to do this song and dance again.
I've seen more venom thrown at Dany for executing slavers and oath breakers like the Tarlys, than I have ever seen thrown Jaime's way for all the shit he's done.

Dude killed his own admiring cousin, just so he could make a doomed attempt to escape. Which led to Karstark's boy being killed; which in turn led to Catlyn freeing Jaime behind Robb's back; which led directly to the murder of two more Lannister cousins; that resulted in Robb executing Karstark for murder and Robb losing a good chunk of his army, and in the end causing him to ask Walder Frey for help. We all know how that ended.

Seriously, fuck Jaime. A few good things here and there doesn't mask the colossal asshole he is to everyone not named Lannister (and even then, he's a kinslayer).
The Dany hate this season has been super weird.

I love Jaime, though, but no one should expect him to be Jon Snow number 2 just 'cus we like him now. Dude is still a "bad guy".

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
In a story where no one's perfect, including the noblest character in the show(besides maybe Sam) in Jon. He executed a young boy. It's hard to hate Jaime. I think he generally has a good heart, he's just weak and was bred in a screwed up family. Family is all he knows, he was preached undying loyalty all his life, so naturally he's overly loyal.

Even if I don't agree with all his motives, I can at least understand where he's coming from logically, which I can't say about all the characters in the show. Also, he still has room to majorly redeem himself even more if he takes out Cersei eventually.

He also raped the woman he supposedly loves.

People cape for weird things.

pablito

My wife wasn't agreeing with Dany burning the Tarlys. I guess Dany could have had them beheaded them. But a beheading probably wouldn't have turned the non-kneeling forces as much as a burning, and could have resulted in more executions. And the Tarlys seemed to have died quickly.

I can't remember who asked this, but why is Dany being compared to Aerys so much and not Aegon? Aegon conquers kingdoms with his dragons, probably burning more people than Dany has so far. A okay. Dany does one battle with them and burns enemies after not kneeling. Aerys #2!

Einchy

In a story where no one's perfect, including the noblest character in the show(besides maybe Sam) in Jon. He executed a young boy. It's hard to hate Jaime. I think he generally has a good heart, he's just weak and was bred in a screwed up family. Family is all he knows, he was preached undying loyalty all his life, so naturally he's overly loyal.

Even if I don't agree with all his motives, I can at least understand where he's coming from logically, which I can't say about all the characters in the show. Also, he still has room to majorly redeem himself even more if he takes out Cersei eventually.

If Cersei were to die, I do wonder what would happen to him as a character, because like I said earlier, all his immoral deeds were done to protect Cersei.

Does Jaime stop doing immoral things when he no longer has Cersei to protect? Would he do those same things if it was only his life at stake?

Einchy

And I can literally say the same exact thing to you, homie... I gotta admit I am tempted to respond every time I see a Cersei defense like this go up, this time I just gave into temptations

It's actually funny that you think this 'cus doing a re-watch, it's crazy how many times not only Cersei brings up her love for her children but other characters do as well, Tyrion goes as far as saying it's her only redeemable trait and The High Sparrow compares her love for her children to the love of The Mother.
My wife wasn't agreeing with Dany burning the Tarlys. I guess Dany could have had them beheaded them. But a beheading probably wouldn't have turned the non-kneeling forces as much as a burning, and could have resulted in more executions. And the Tarlys seemed to have died quickly.

It's just illogical, I feel, because those guys are pretty much telling her, "we refuse your mercy and promise he will do anything in our power to kill you".

Why keep anyone like that around? They're also racist, so fuck 'em.

Did they mention how the Hound, Beric and Thoros were captured? Considering their history, it was kinda odd seeing them sitting peacefully in a cell like that.

It's actually funny that you think this 'cus doing a re-watch, it's crazy how many times not only Cersei brings up her love for her children but other characters do as well, Tyrion goes as far as saying it's her only redeemable trait and The High Sparrow compares her love for her children to the love of The Mother.
I don't give a fuck how many times she brings up her love for her children coz I don't buy everything she says she's fucking evil and a nutcase so she's obviously got a very warped and twisted perspective on right and wrong ever since she was a child because ever since she was a child she's been powerful and Tyrion is right because Cersei does love her children but she loves power more than she loved them.

Einchy

I don't give a fuck how many times she brings up her love for her children coz I don't buy everything she says she's fucking evil and a nutcase so she's obviously got a very warped and twisted perspective on right and wrong ever since she was a child because ever since she was a child she's been powerful and Tyrion is right because Cersei does love her children but she loves power more than she loved them.

I will legit never understand how you came to this conclusion. lol

Einchy

What even is the reasoning behind Tyrion being a Targaryen? Tywin hated Tyrion, and even had some of the last Targaryens murdered and had their mother raped and murdered as well, why would he ever keep a Targaryen around?
I think she reached that point with Tommen, but not with the other two.

She lost a huge chunk of herself each time a child died and pretty much went full cray cray once Tommen died. She had nothing holding her back once it was just her left.

What even is the reasoning behind Tyrion being a Targaryen? Tywin hated Tyrion, and even had some of the last Targaryens murdered and had their mother raped and murdered as well, why would he ever keep a Targaryen around?
I think it's something Tywin never figured out (if it's supposed to be true) even though he's always wanted to somehow prove Tyrion wasn't his son.

Tyrion's going to get drunker than anyone's ever been drunk before and his hair will bleach white, revealing him to be the legendary Super Targaryen.

gun_haver

I dunno Cersei pretty much gets shit on every single season and the fans all agree - fuck Cersei - but I'm here to say she is probably the most interesting and possibly best overall character on the show and I'm gonna cry a little tear if she ever dies. She's had a hard life and she's never wreaked havoc except upon her fucking enemies who had it coming - and yeah, maybe a few civvies. I'm not saying the woman's a saint. But I'm gonna be sad.

Heshinsi

Yes, I'm aware you literally misunderstood every Cersei scene ever. We don't need to do this song and dance again.

I love Jaime, though, but no one should expect him to be Jon Snow number 2 just 'cus we like him now. Dude is still a "bad guy".
lol I like him too. So "fuck Jaime" is more to the idea of a good guy Jaime.

gun_haver

If Tyrion turns out to be a targ I'm seriously gonna stop watching. The dude's entire arc is about being a Lannister, it adds absolutely nothing. If Jamie and/or Cersei turn out to be magic, either, same thing. This trio have held the show on their backs with their character development and acting ability and we don't need to be ruining them at the last stretch with dumbass magic, save that crap for Daenerys and Jon, those upjumped b-plot mongrels.

Lulubop

Cersei was best when she was trading wits with Tyrion, that's actually when he was best too. Than after that Charles Dance came and stole the show and things with the lannisters haven't been as interesting since he's been gone. It had to happen tho.

If Tyrion turns out to be a targ I'm seriously gonna stop watching. The dude's entire arc is about being a Lannister, it adds absolutely nothing. If Jamie and/or Cersei turn out to be magic, either, same thing. This trio have held the show on their backs with their character development and acting ability and we don't need to be ruining them at the last stretch with dumbass magic, save that crap for Daenerys and Jon, those upjumped b-plot mongrels.
I agree with what you said, but the bolded...

For me, A Song of Ice and Fire IS Jon Snow & Daenaerys Targaryen.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
If Cersei were to die, I do wonder what would happen to him as a character, because like I said earlier, all his immoral deeds were done to protect Cersei.

Does Jaime stop doing immoral things when he no longer has Cersei to protect? Would he do those same things if it was only his life at stake?

Would likely focus his attention on joining the white walker fight, like everyone else would be doing.

gun_haver

Cersei was best when she was trading wits with Tyrion, that's actually when he was best too. Than after that Charles Dance came and stole the show and things with the lannisters haven't been as interesting since he's been gone. It had to happen tho.

They were all at their best when they were forced to deal with Tywin, that son of a bitch, but now that he's long gone, Cersei has been the one to make a name for herself and she's done it totally in line with her character. She's never been as evil as other people make out, yeah she is evil, but not THAT evil. She can be reasoned with. The woman had all of her children die in horrible ways, and an abusive husband and emotionally abusive father all her life, that's gonna mess you up. Now she just wants revenge and Jamie. It's potent, romantic and dark. That's the kind of main character this show really deserves not 'i want to free every slave but my entire arc is a gross white saviour thing btw if you don't bend the knee i'm gonna burn you alive'. Jon's okay, though. He'd make a decent king.

Heshinsi

eKErR.gif

I swear you always make my sides hurt by all the laughter you give me.

Top Bottom