• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

gun_haver

Bronn vs Dario, you kidding? Bronn would poison him before the fight ever took place. And if it didn't work he'd somehow get a elevation advantage and surprise him. He's a survivor, Dario's probably been killed in his sleep by a son of the harpy.

Bronn vs Dario, you kidding? Bronn would poison him before the fight ever took place. And if it didn't work he'd somehow get a elevation advantage and surprise him. He's a survivor, Dario's probably been killed in his sleep by a son of the harpy.

Daario fought with the Dothraki, and Bronn was outsmarted by a Dothraki...

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Oberyn *with the death of Elia and the children not on his mind* versus any fighter we've been shown in the show. My money is on Oberyn every single time.

gun_haver

Daario fought with the Dothraki, and Bronn was outsmarted by a Dothraki...

Bronn ain't dead. He plays the game of death and he's still living, there hasn't been a man who has outsmarted him yet. That Dothraki fellow got close but Bronn lured him into a tent and killed him with a scorpion.

Oberyn *with the death of Elia and the children not on his mind* versus any fighter we've been shown in the show. My money is on Oberyn every single time.

Yeah Oberyn is probably the best individual fighter we've seen on the show. His display against the Mountain was extremely impressive.

pablito

I dunno Cersei pretty much gets shit on every single season and the fans all agree - fuck Cersei - but I'm here to say she is probably the most interesting and possibly best overall character on the show and I'm gonna cry a little tear if she ever dies. She's had a hard life and she's never wreaked havoc except upon her fucking enemies who had it coming - and yeah, maybe a few civvies. I'm not saying the woman's a saint. But I'm gonna be sad.

Ned/Starks didn't have it coming. Cersei actually had it coming by having children with Jamie instead of Robert. She just ended up winning that one.

Tyrells didn't have it coming. Tyrells weren't trying to hurt the Lannisters until Cersei got Loras and Margery imprisoned and then blew them the fuck up. Unless you think just wanting to dethrone them as #1 family as having it coming.

Ned/Starks didn't have it coming. Cersei actually had it coming by having children with Jamie instead of Robert. She just ended up winning that one.

Tyrells didn't have it coming. Tyrells weren't trying to hurt the Lannisters until Cersei got Loras and Margery imprisoned and then blew them the fuck up. Unless you think just wanting to dethrone them as #1 family as having it coming.
Other than that whole murdering Joffrey thing, I guess.

gun_haver

Cersei didn't kill Ned, everyone forgets this. She was gonna just send him to the wall. That was her sob son who did that. Most of the shit 'she did' was Joffrey, without her knowiong, and she was shocked about it after.

The Tyrells though? Oh they were a likeable bunch, but they killed her baby boy. Cersei only comes after you when you come after her, Even Cersei thought Joffrey was depraved, but he was her little baby boy, she thought she could win him around to the side of reason in the end. She was wrong, but that's a depth of character that no non-Lannister is yet to fuck with. Cersei did nothing wrong? No, she did many things wrong, she's a completely fucked up person, but I think she's fascinating and continues to be so.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Like current or historical? 'cause Dayne and Selmy...

Shit, I forgot about those two. Dammit lol. Well first of all, fuck Barriston, He's like that guy everyone is scared shitless over, and then you see him getting punked on in some alley by some frat boys. I thought you were special or something? Meh, Oberyn has that one in the bag easily. As for Dayne, I think Oberyn has part of that same mentality that makes Bronn such a survivor. No one was supposed to beat the Mountain and Oberyn pretty much did. I'd say it's a tough one to call.

pablito

Other than that whole murdering Joffrey thing, I guess.

That's true. But to Cersei she still had no reason hate the Tyrells as she thought Tyrion and Sansa did that.

Cersei didn't kill Ned, everyone forgets this. She was gonna just send him to the wall. That was her sob son who did that. Most of the shit 'she did' was Joffrey, without her knowiong, and she was shocked about it after.

The Tyrells though? Oh they were a likeable bunch, but they killed her baby boy. Even Cersei thought Joffrey, but he was her little baby boy, she thought she could win him around to the side of reason in the end. She was wrong, but that's a depth of character that no non-Lannister is yet to fuck with. Cersei did nothing wrong? No, she did many things wrong, she's a complete bit, but I think she's fascinating and continues to be so.

Yeah, the Tyrells did kill Joffrey. But since she thought that was Tyrion and Sansa, the only reason she hated the Tyrells was she didn't like seeing Margery work Joffrey and Tommen. I can see why Cersei wouldn't like that. But to kill her?

I didn't forget she didn't kill Ned. But Ned approached her about it, so I'd consider that among enemies she's...outlasted might be a better phrase I guess.

VeeP

Guys, I was thinking I'd wait until next week and just binge the last two episodes together. Bad idea? Good idea?

Shit, I forgot about those two. Dammit lol. Well first of all, fuck Barriston, He's like that guy everyone is scared shitless over, and then you see him getting punked on in some alley by some frat boys. I thought you were special or something? Meh, Oberyn has that one in the bag easily. As for Dayne, I think Oberyn has part of that same mentality that makes Bronn such a survivor. No one was supposed to beat the Mountain and Oberyn pretty much did. I'd say it's a tough one to call.

I really wish they showed more of these two in action. Even Jaime since pre-hand Jaime was someone everyone feared 1v1.

Bobby B with a stolen wife

pre-king or post-king?

Bronn ain't dead. He plays the game of death and he's still living, there hasn't been a man who has outsmarted him yet. That Dothraki fellow got close but Bronn lured him into a tent and killed him with a scorpion.
Bronn won the fight but he still got outsmarted. He expected his stealth knife to do the trick, and he did not expect the Dothraki to go for his horse. He got outsmarted by someone fighting dirty.
Is Ghost ever coming back?
Sansa namedropped him. "Does Jon think all the Northern lords will just sit and wait for him like Ghost?"

gun_haver

I didn't forget she didn't kill Ned. But Ned approached her about it, so I'd consider that among enemies she's...outlasted might be a better phrase I guess.

True, she didn't know that, but she knew they were her enemies. She had/has a sense for that kind of thing, and they always treated her like shit. So she was mean to them in general and when she saw them trying to corral power around a religious zealot she said 'well fuck it' and killed them all. Evil move? Yeah, but a wise one. I love watching her.

She outlasted and bettered them all, really. The woman is the first queen in Westeros in who knows how long.

pablito

I think Oberyn is capable of defeating anyone because of his poison. We saw Arthur Dayne pretty much flawless 4 decently experienced (I'm guessing) fighters at the same time. He's skilled enough to block Oberyn. But Oberyn may be skilled enough to get one poke on him. After that he just needs to evade (dudes got like +50 evasion) until Arthur's HP runs out.

I don't think a fight between Oberyn and Dayne would come down to poison and fancy dance moves. That was something he did because the Mountain was a lumbering monster and it was the wisest way to approach the problem. It was basically Dhalsim vs. Zangief.

Oberyn vs. Dayne would probably come down to one abrupt and incredibly decisive strike.

I think Oberyn is capable of defeating anyone because of his poison. We saw Arthur Dayne pretty much flawless 4 decently experienced (I'm guessing) fighters at the same time. He's skilled enough to block Oberyn. But Oberyn may be skilled enough to get one poke on him. After that he just needs to evade (dudes got like +50 evasion) until Arthur's HP runs out.

Idk man... Arthur defending against 4 guys circling him while twirling his sword and probably whistling a tune. I don't think Oberyn would get a hit on him before he can.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Dayne could beat anyone. When you can take on 6 badass dudes at the same time, you know you're GOAT.

gun_haver

oberyn vs dayne would truly be an interesting fight to watch

but i think it's clear oberyn was the best fighter currently living who has been on the show, the dude easily beat the mountain, he played with him, it was the playing that got him. i don't think even bronn or the hound could beat oberyn.

fucking mountain. i hate him. why did he take oberyn from us.

Einchy

Dayne v Oberyn would be like this but with weapons.

1QBnVhU.gif

pablito

Idk man... Arthur defending against 4 guys circling him while twirling his sword and probably whistling a tune. I don't think Oberyn would get a hit on him before he can.

Right. I'd bet on Arthur most times. I just think there might be a sliver of a chance with Oberyn's different style, range, and probably only needing one non lethal poke on Dayne to potentially cheese it out for the win. Take the poison out of the equation, I don't think Oberyn could hit him enough to do it. Dayne is 2004 Daigo parry level but at full life.

Dayne could beat anyone. When you can take on 6 badass dudes at the same time, you know you're GOAT.

It was 4 dudes wasn't it? One guy got killed by the other dude, and Howland Reed played dead at the start of the match. Still impressive since Ned is no slouch, and I doubt he took a bunch of lames to go save his sister.

wandering

Banned
oberyn vs dayne would truly be an interesting fight to watch

but i think it's clear oberyn was the best fighter currently living who has been on the show, the dude easily beat the mountain, he played with him, it was the playing that got him. i don't think even bronn or the hound could beat oberyn.

fucking mountain. i hate him. why did he take oberyn from us.

I don't think the Mountain That Rides was ever that skilled, just freakishly large. It just so happens that Oberyn's fighting style is the perfect counter to a lumbering oaf.

Oberyn would likely have a harder time against a more agile opponent.

Zzzonked

Before the episode with Oberyn and the Mountain aired I had unfortunately been spoiled by a comment that said "Tyrion kills his father". I watched the entire season thinking Oberyn would win that fight and Tyrion would be set free before getting his revenge.

You can imagine my shock, horror and disappointment when Oberyn was knocked off his feet :(

Einchy

It was 4 dudes wasn't it? One guy got killed, and Howland Reed played dead. Still impressive since Ned is no slouch, and I doubt he took a bunch of lames to go save his sister.

Maybe, I kinda remembered six but I dunno.

[fake edit]

It was six guys in total.
w2XJNJZl.png

But he only actually fought 4v1.
dJpLEObl.jpg

gun_haver

I don't think the Mountain That Rides was ever that skilled, just freakishly large. It just so happens that Oberyn's fighting style is the perfect counter to a lumbering oaf.

Oberyn would likely have a harder time against a more agile opponent.

yeah that's possibly true, but the way oberyn moved it was as if he could adapt to any kind of fighting style. i guess we'll never know, the man is dead. he would been a great asset in the war against the dead, what a shame.

pablito

yeah that's possibly true, but the way oberyn moved it was as if he could adapt to any kind of fighting style. i guess we'll never know, the man is dead. he would been a great asset in the war against the dead, what a shame.

Give him a double sided dragonglass spear and he could just whirlwind to victory

The Tyrells though? Oh they were a likeable bunch, but they killed her baby boy. Cersei only comes after you when you come after her, Even Cersei thought Joffrey was depraved, but he was her little baby boy, she thought she could win him around to the side of reason in the end. She was wrong, but that's a depth of character that no non-Lannister is yet to fuck with. Cersei did nothing wrong? No, she did many things wrong, she's a completely fucked up person, but I think she's fascinating and continues to be so.
Uhhhhhhhhhhh you do know that she blames Tyrion for Joffrey's death right. The Tyrells have never entered her mind as a culprit.

So no, they didn't have it coming as far as your reasoning is concerned.

gun_haver

Uhhhhhhhhhhh you do know that she blames Tyrion for Joffrey's death right. The Tyrells have never entered her mind as a culprit.

So no, they didn't have it coming as far as your reasoning is concerned.

i was talking about their clear pivot to the sept as the seat of their power, which they did do and it was a clear power move. she was forced into a corner and did what she needed to do - her actual action was extrene, but i detest religious zealots so i don't despise her inclination to attack them in essence, only the extremity in how she did it.

apart from this one situation, which in my mind is somewhat justifiable, she has only ever attacked people who openly want to kill her. except tyrion, she fucking hates him.

this is the kind of depth of character i mean.

Top Bottom