• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Why ain't nobody talking about my Arya vs. White Walker Jon theory

I mean, Jon's basically been anointed by God himself as the Dude Who Will Survive. As much as I'd love for them to subvert that whole dumb trope and just say, "Woops, turns out prophecies are bullshit and the Lord of Light is kind of a half-assed bitch god", I also know there's like no chance of it happening.

Him and Dany have their tickets punched, the question of where they end up isn't even particularly interesting. It's more a matter of, "What sort of blasted hellscape do they end up lording over?"

gun_haver

just ignore it folks and keep talking as normal, it's not right to let it dictate the posts. we were having some good convos before this shit came up.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I mean, Jon's basically been anointed by God himself as the Dude Who Will Survive. As much as I'd love for them to subvert that whole dumb trope and just say, "Woops, turns out prophecies are bullshit and the Lord of Light is kind of a half-assed bitch god", I also know there's like no chance of it happening.

Him and Dany have their tickets punched, the question of where they end up isn't even particularly interesting. It's more a matter of, "What sort of blasted hellscape do they end up lording over?"

Jon's living on borrowed time, no way he's surviving the series. He dies in the finale for sure.

Draper

Yeah, I know. Just being silly and wishful thinking, because at the moment, things are feeling rather 'safe', which is unfortunate.

just ignore it folks and keep talking as normal, it's not right to let it dictate the posts. we were having some good convos before this shit came up.

Why thank you, Gun. I think my theory is rather engrossing as well.

gun_haver

Jon's living on borrowed time, no way he's surviving the series. He dies in the finale for sure.

i don't agree, i think dany is gonna die in the seris and jon's gonna be the one who rules it all in the end

don't agree? well let me ask you this

dany wants the iron throne. jon doesn't. who's gonna get it.

Magwik

Banned
I saw it on Reddit earlier and couldn't shake the thought, but why is Gilly's baby still a baby? Hasn't it been one for like 4 years?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Dayne could beat anyone. When you can take on 6 badass dudes at the same time, you know you're GOAT.

Yeah, and the entire world believes Ned killed him mono a mono. Ned allowed his honour to be slightly tarnished by letting people believe he cheated on Catlyn. But then he significantly boosted his standing at the prestigious fighter's club by not correcting all the people that thought he bested Ser Arthur Dayne. So it's a wash lol.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Yeah, and the entire world believes Ned killed him mono a mono. Ned allowed his honour to be slightly tarnished by letting people believe he cheated on Catlyn. But then he significantly boosted his standing at the prestigious fighter's club by not correcting all the people that thought he bested Ser Arthur Dayne. So it's a wash lol.

I like to believe Ned was actually horrible at fighting, but everyone thought he was the best since he "beat" Dayne, so anything someone made him fight, he'd be all:
osCYaMx.gif

televator

Well, he wasn't going to rat out Reed who just saved his life and helped him recover his sister, and he certainly wasn't going to say it was him and be known as the guy who stabbed Dayne da gawd in the back.

My guess is he left it ambiguous as to just who exactly struck the killing blow. So it was more a lie of omission on his part and people just imagined what they wanted about the story.

wandering

Banned
I like to believe Ned was actually horrible at fighting, but everyone thought he was the best since he "beat" Dayne, so anything someone made him fight, he'd be all:

He definitely wasn't extraordinarily good but he still managed to hold his own against Dayne for a bit, as well as Jaime.

They don't really make it clear in the show how much Ned did or didn't talk up the events. I would guess he probably tried to avoid saying too much about it, which is why he doesn't have literally everyone in the world gunning for him every time they have a tournament.

televator

He definitely wasn't extraordinarily good but he still managed to hold his own against Dayne, as well as Jaime.

Plus there's the details of him surviving a whole war that encompassed many battles, several battles which he lead, and he did also train along side Robbert who was no slouch in his prime.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
They don't really make it clear in the show how much Ned did or didn't talk up the events. I would guess he probably tried to avoid saying too much about it, which is why he doesn't have literally everyone in the world gunning for him every time they have a tournament.

Bran did say he heard it hundreds of times but I would bet my left nut Ned never actually told him that story. Ned doesn't seem like the type of person to brag about killing someone, so it was probably other people hyping up that battle and Ned just not saying anything about it to protect Lyanna, Jon and Reed.

televator

Bran did say he heard it hundreds of times but I would bet my left nut Ned never actually told him that story. Ned doesn't seem like the type of person to brag about killing someone, so it was probably other people hyping up that battle and Ned just not saying anything about it to protect Lyanna, Jon and Reed.

It was their maester's job to tell him about past events, and I believe Bran actually said "Father never talked about him." In the flashbacks.

Edit: Nope the line is "Father said he was the best swodsman he ever saw." Still it kinda implies that he never explained how he beat such a superior swordsman.

duckroll

My impression is that the show paints the entire Tower of Joy part of Ned's life as something he would never talk about to anyone no matter how close they were to him, out of honor and maybe a bit of shame?

PatjuhR

So why did Cercei say Jaime should never betray her again?

Jaime was set up to the meeting and immediately came to her after that? She mad she didn't kill him?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
She's mad because he didn't punish Bronn for sneaking in the enemy, not just any enemy too but the person she thought killed Joffrey, and that Jaime didn't cut down Tyrion where he stood, and also that he gave Olenna a relatively painless, dignified death.

I mean he's basically undermining her authority at every turn, and you know how she feels about that.

Ravelle

Tyrion and Jamie's relationship is probably one of my favorite on the show.

A lot of depth there.

They kinda glossed over the fact Tyrion saw Jaime charge at a dragon and drown seconds later, when they meet to discuss bringing a white walker they only talked about their Tywin.

duckroll

They kinda glossed over the fact Tyrion saw Jaime charge at a dragon and drown seconds later, when they meet to discuss bringing a white walker they only talked about their Tywin.

Tyrion isn't a dumbass. He knows the rules in Game of Thrones. Bronne saved Jaime by pushing him off, and there were no bodies so they both survived.

i don't agree, i think dany is gonna die in the seris and jon's gonna be the one who rules it all in the end

don't agree? well let me ask you this

dany wants the iron throne. jon doesn't. who's gonna get it.

Plus can Dany have kids or not? If she can't then her line is in trouble unless Jon survives to carry on the line.

Bronn ain't dead. He plays the game of death and he's still living, there hasn't been a man who has outsmarted him yet. That Dothraki fellow got close but Bronn lured him into a tent and killed him with a scorpion.

Yeah Oberyn is probably the best individual fighter we've seen on the show. His display against the Mountain was extremely impressive.

Bronn is indeed alive. All this talk of this or that being a better fighter but most of those are dead. Fancy skills don't mean much when your skull is a million pieces.

Plus can Dany have kids or not? If she can't then her line is in trouble unless Jon survives to carry on the line.

No. She's sterile.

Bronn is indeed alive. All this talk of this or that being a better fighter but most of those are dead. Fancy skills don't mean much when your skull is a million pieces.

No. She's sterile.

Yeah then surely Jon will make it long enough to have kids with someone if GRRM intends the Targ line to survive post story.

I would kind of like matters to end like S5 of The Wire
the people are different, but the city is ultimately the same. Times are different, but the same threads run deep. The game carries on all the same. Despite Dany intending to break the wheel.

gun_haver

cersei having more kids at this point is somewhat suspect, she's in the menopause zone, but it's still plausible.

dany on the other hand, yeah she's 'sterile' but that might not last and she's like 28 in the show logic so she has many years ahead of her to birth kids.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dany is magically sterile so she could theoretically become magically fertile but it hasn't been addressed in years so I don't know why they would do it.

Yeah, I assume Melissandre could fix Dany's problem by stripping naked and gyrating around on top of her for a few minutes, but unfortunately she has sworn to use her powers only to annoy.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yeah, I assume Melissandre could fix Dany's problem by stripping naked and gyrating around on top of her for a few minutes, but unfortunately she has sworn to use her powers only to annoy.

Would annoy Jon.

cersei having more kids at this point is somewhat suspect, she's in the menopause zone, but it's still plausible.

dany on the other hand, yeah she's 'sterile' but that might not last and she's like 28 in the show logic so she has many years ahead of her to birth kids.

Isn't she like early 20s max?
I thought she was a teen when she had her first child?!?

pringles

Sam says about Bran in this episode "I let him through the wall years ago". It's easily been 4-5 years since season 1 in-universe. But I don't think they have any interest in nailing down an exact timeframe, just that it's been a long time. I mean considering all the travel that's happened in this season it's probably already been about a year of actual time happening in this season.

just saw a PSA thread on reddit.

Apparently, HBO Spain leaked episode 6 for an hour and the pirated copies are being circulated. Somebody's gonna get sacrificed to the lord of light.....

time to avoid social media...sigh

Top Bottom