• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Sephzilla

Leaving after he heard chaos is ladder is pretty hilarious, and those nice moments when the viewer knows so much more than the character and wonders why they don't act like it. LF sent Sansa to Ramsay, him abandoning her would have ended his plan of uniting the Vale and the North to go against Cersei during her weakest moment (which is when he would have struck). I also find it hilarious that LF is just supposed to know that a weirdo on a wheelchair quoting him once somehow tells him that he is a tree wizard that can see anything in the present or past. Obviously...

She should be focused on Cersei? Cersei is a crazy bitch and you know if Dragonlady didn't fly to Dragonstone until s8, they would be an instant target. Sansa doesn't know what allegiance Dany has, who she likes, and who she might go for. Pretending Cersei doesn't exist is dumb as fuck, even with the long night coming from the true North. I also agree with Sansa, that those kids shouldn't keep every single thing their parents had when they betrayed the Starks. There should be some repercussions. Not go Robb Stark and off their heads, but they should lose something for their family's betrayal. Them being completely absolved is kinda stupid, which fits in line with almost every major decision Jon has lol.. Just like his plan to run south and hope the Boltons wouldn't go after them, it's naive to think the same with Cersei.

Again what battles would she have driven them into other than Cersei? And without knowing the wildcard dragon user, they should have been prepared. She didn't fully understand the dead like every other character in the entire series that hasn't seen them. All you're doing is playing Bran Stark by seeing everything and then wondering why x character acts like .. they haven't seen and know every character in the series like the manhattan cripple.

Jon, without even knowing that Danny was coming to Dragonstone, straight up told Sansa that Cersei attacking Winterfell during winter would be an incredibly stupid move because Cersei's weakened army wouldn't be able to survive the winter let alone the assault on Winterfell if they even made it there. And by the time winter would have been over the north would have built up enough forces to repel an attack. Sansa was tunnel visioned on Cersei and Jon was trying to show her that Cersei was basically a non-factor at this point thanks to the winter. Winterfell was safe from her for a while.

y2dvd

The episode before this one was kinda dumb with it, but the payoff was incredible. One of the best moments in the series

The payoff was good, the execution to get there wasn't. Still, I thought the season finale was great, and I've been hard on this season.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
People saying that Jaime isn't going to bring much to the fight: he has a Valyrian blade.

But he's also kinda shit at fighting now, his real expertise will come from helping create strategies. That sword is of more used being handed to Jorah or whatever.

Einchy

Is Jaime really going alone or is he going to round up some people loyal to him?

I would think the only people loyal to him are also loyal to the queen and the queen trumps him there. Since he is going completely undercover and is hoping to help out Jon and Dany, I think it's just him going by himself.

OrionX

I don't think Sansa was playing LF simply because throughout the series Sansa hasn't been portrayed as a particularly intelligent character capable of scheming to that level.

My impression was that Sansa began to suspect it was another LF scheme when he advised her to use Brienne against Arya. That's why she sent her away, and when Brienne was like "But Littlefinger!" Sansa was all "I got this, chill!" Then when Littlefinger played his "motives game" it confirmed her suspicions and she went to Bran for more proof.

I mean she always knew she needed to keep an eye on LF, she mentioned at the beginning of the season that he can't be trusted, but he seemed to be mostly in her corner so she wasn't sure if she should get rid of him at first. Plus she was probably hesitant to make a move against him and risk getting burned. Him trying to turn her own family against her was the last straw though, and it finally urged her to look deeper and fully see him for what he was.

Sande

There's was no point to the entire Winterfell storyline this season. Why let Baelish scheme for a few more weeks or months without gaining anything in the process? The end result was always going to be his execution when Bran literally knew most if not all of his bullshit and Sansa had personally witnessed quite a bit of it too.

It was all false suspense so they could pull a fast one in the finale. Really cheapened what should have been an awesome scene.

Is Jaime really going alone or is he going to round up some people loyal to him?

I asked my friend the same question. Someone like him would likely have at least a small group who would be more loyal to him than the Queen. I assume Bronn and a small group will leave once they find out Jaime honored the pledge.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Cersei: "Westeros, join me in repelling this foreign whore and her foreign army from our shores!"

*Also Cersei

Cersei: "Yo Euron, go to Essos and ferry me this foreign army. I need them to help me stab the allied forces of Westeros in the back, while they deal with the single greatest threat the continent has faced in 8000 years."

Someone needs to figure out a way to resurect Randall Tarly and go, "look at what you helped enable you knobhead. Foreign army, blah, blah, GTFO!"

giphy.gif

Jon, without even knowing that Danny was coming to Dragonstone, straight up told Sansa that Cersei attacking Winterfell during winter would be an incredibly stupid move because Cersei's weakened army wouldn't be able to survive the winter let alone the assault on Winterfell if they even made it there. And by the time winter would have been over the north would have built up enough forces to repel an attack. Sansa was tunnel visioned on Cersei and Jon was trying to show her that Cersei was basically a non-factor at this point thanks to the winter. Winterfell was safe from her for a while.
7x1
"We're been so focused on the enemy in the north, we've forgotten about the one south. No protection from that direction."
"I know her. She will never stop."

Just saw the video. Can you explain to me how that is unreasonable? Or if there is some other conversation they've had where she says to march south or some crazy shit like that? I went and watched the two scenes they have in 7x1 and 7x2. I'm at work so maybe I missed something, but you seriously don't jump to those conclusions ^ based off the premiere convo they had? If you're thinking that they shouldn't even think about Cersei (before the Dany encounters), then I don't know what to say to you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjsR4clCorQ

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
7x1
"We're been so focused on the enemy in the north, we've forgotten about the one south. No protection from that direction."
"I know her. She will never stop."

Just saw the video. Can you explain to me how that is unreasonable? Or if there is some other conversation they've had where she says to march south or some crazy shit like that? I went and watched the two scenes they have in 7x1 and 7x2. I'm at work so maybe I missed something, but you seriously don't jump to those conclusions ^ based off the premiere convo they had? If you're thinking that they shouldn't even think about Cersei (before the Dany encounters), then I don't know what to say to you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjsR4clCorQ

Sending Brienne to represent her in KL was a mistake. Sansa was absolutely correct in her assessment of what Cersei truly is. She would have called them all out on being so god damn gullible. Sure, killing off LF was good I suppose. But Sansa telling Cersei to go kick a can of rocks would have been a delight to see.

"Are you guys this fucking stupid?!"

OrionX

Sending Brienne to represent her in KL was a mistake. Sansa was absolutely correct in her assessment of what Cersei truly is. She would have called them all out on being so god damn gullible. Sure, killing off LF was good I suppose. But Sansa telling Cersei to go kick a can of rocks would have been a delight to see.

"Are you guys this fucking stupid?!"

Cersei: "The little dove has changed quite a bit, hasn't she..."

Sansa: "I learned from the best."

There absolutely must be a Cersei/Sansa scene in the final season.

televator

Cersei: "Westeros, join me in repelling this foreign whore and her foreign army from our shores!"

*Also Cersei

Cersei: "Yo Euron, go to Essos and ferry me this foreign army. I need them to help me stab the allied forces of Westeros in the back, while they deal with the single greatest threat the continent has faced in 8000 years."

Someone needs to figure out a way to resurect Randall Tarly and go, "look at what you helped enable you knobhead. Foreign army, blah, blah, GTFO!"

giphy.gif

Cerise is impressive at coming up the cleverest and most elaborate plans
to fuck herself with.

televator

Even as an advocate for "Arya was onto Littlefinger," at best this new information just implies that Bran wouldn't have told Sansa that Arya was seriously threatening her, and that he instead would have said that Baelish is trying to get Sansa to turn on Arya.

tbh, I think the scene was cut to preserve the shock value of Sansa turning on Littlefinger in his execution scene, in which case it achieved something.

It could have also been just that whole game of truths shtick she learned from the faceless.

Jacob4815

It sound like everyone is pretty disappointed and very negative. It may be that I mix up booth Threads but I feel like there is plenty negativity in regards of the final season

The season was good. Not amazing like other years, it had some issues, but still good.
The negativity is a bit hyperbolic.

RDreamer

I completly agree, even when I think that they will announce a super surprise 9th season.

I doubt that would help at this point. It seems to me Season 7 was the one that needed the extra time and episodes. There were a ton of time skips throughout and characters/situations that needed much more fleshing out. Now that the wall has been breached though I really doubt we see almost any time skips (not counting an epilogue sequence thing in the last episode), so padding out the last season or adding something else probably wouldn't do as good as stretching this season before the finale.

Hydrus

I completly agree, even when I think that they will announce a super surprise 9th season.

As much as I want more Thrones, I dont think I can wait another 3 plus years to wrap up the story. I would rather they announce a 10 episode season 8, with the last two episodes being over 90 minutes long.

Someone on Reddit put this together using IMDb ratings. For reference the first episode of the series has 24k ratings, and the latest has 32k.

sbZlRrP.png

We use deleted scenes, behind the scenes episodes and cast speculations all the time, this should be no different.

Ultimately though, they still had to go to Bran otherwise, why was he there? Because he was a witness and they needed him.

If you're not going to use deleted scenes as source then you can't use you're imagination either because there is no proof at all that Arya and Sansa conspired to take down LF from the beginning.

...We make theories based on whats in the show.

And yea, there is no proof that Arya and Sansa conspired to take down LF, that's why this entire plot line was so bad.

Not to mention how fucking blatant Little Finger was in manipulating Sansa. "HEY YO KILL YOUR SISTER". It would have been far more believable if he was stringing her along, and when she got to that conclusion, he was trying to back her out of it.

Or you know, talk about how if she is a "faceless man", then maybe she isn't even Arya? We know she is Arya, but when you have a person with a bag of faces and the ability to turn into anyone, maybe it's time to consider they are an assassin and they took your sisters face.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Arya is Waif....

The "real" Arya is a face on the wall back in Braavos.

BELIEVE.

Einchy

It sound like everyone is pretty disappointed and very negative. It may be that I mix up booth Threads but I feel like there is plenty negativity in regards of the final season

GoT threads on Gaf always have some real downers and this season with some of the pacing stuff, really brought it out out of some people, but the season was still widely considered to be great and it was especially received well among casual viewers.

Hydrus

I'm going to start collecting the Blurays. Is there multiple version of each season? I just want the best versions with the most content.

Vashetti

Banned
I'm going to start collecting the Blurays. Is there multiple version of each season? I just want the best versions with the most content.

For the past seasons, buy the steelbooks with magnet sigils included, the audio is redone in Dolby Atmos.

And if your equipment isn't capable of Atmos, you're still getting the core 7.1 upgrade over the original Blu-ray releases of 5.1

In terms of content, all the releases have the same extras. In the UK, Amazon has released an exclusive bonus disc each season with some extra BTS stuff.

No idea what the US situation is.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
If Sansa ends up winning the throne in the end there are gonna be a lot of pissed off people... almost makes me want it to happen even more. :p

Why Sansa Will Be Queen of Westeros
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cesr8GAIjv4

Gil and Itamar from GoT Academy made this video years ago detailing why they believe Sansa will be the last one standing. That video is the one that convinced me. Its just been getting more and more plausible as the seasons roll on. That will be their ultimate Boom, Called It, Confirmed.

Note: They are book readers and their videos include book info/spoilers.

Einchy

Jon and Dany need to both end up in the Iron Throne with their daughter being the heir. Sansa needs to be the Warden of the North.

Markoman

Major leak! Here's a pic of J+D's baby:

latest

1. Dad's an undead
2. Mommy got cursed by a witch
3. Mom + Dad are close relatives

Red UFO

My prediction for the ending is that drogon melts down the iron throne at the end of the series, and Jon and Dany rule in unison, rather than just one person.

Markoman

My prediction for the ending is that drogon melts down the iron throne at the end of the series, and Jon and Dany rule in unison, rather than just one person.

Nah, Night King wins. Last scene is him looking at the audience droping a Native American wisdom line about how you can't eat gold or something something "power of nature".

The highlights of the season:
Undead giants
Stark reunions
Loot train
Death of sand snakes
Jorah healing
Nymeria reveal
Dany and Jon meet
Jon and dragons
Westeros all-stars
Dany saving the day
resurrection of the dragon
death of littlfinger
start of redemption of theon
Jaime leaving cersei
fall of the wall
reveal of blood relation between Jon and Dany

lowlights (mainly all to do with pacing and writing)
skipping over highgarden and casterlyrock battles
winterfell plotline with LF
Jaime surviving the loot train scene on the other side of the lake
resurrection of the dragon (execution was bad, where did the chains come from?!)

So the highlights definitely outweighed the lowlights for me.

Vashetti

Banned
Undead giants
Stark reunions
Loot train
Death of sand snakes
Jorah healing
Nymeria reveal
Dany and Jon meet
Jon and dragons
Westeros all-stars
Dany saving the day
death of littlfinger
Jaime leaving cersei
fall of the wall

resurrection of the dragon (execution was bad, where did the chains come from?!)

Why are you spoiler tagging aired content?

Undead giants
Stark reunions
Loot train
Death of sand snakes
Jorah healing
Nymeria reveal
Dany and Jon meet
Jon and dragons
Westeros all-stars
Dany saving the day
death of littlfinger
Jaime leaving cersei
fall of the wall

They already had the chains with them to scale the wall

I find it hilarious people dwindle on this chains point in a series about undead kings and dragons, they go " but where was chains?"

Surfinn

The payoff was good, the execution to get there wasn't. Still, I thought the season finale was great, and I've been hard on this season.

Right, that could have been handled MUCH better

Too bad the payoff came at the expense of making LF look like a complete moron though.

I don't really agree with this. He's never been in a position where he has had a chance for love to get the better of him. Cat married Ned, so he couldn't really make those mistakes. He made them with Sansa. He underestimated her and let his feelings expose himself.

Harmen

They already had the chains with them to scale the wall

I find it hilarious people dwindle on this chains point in a series about undead kings and dragons, they go " but where was chains?"

I find "the show has dragons and shit" to be a weak argument for lack of of overall logic or writers pulling things out of their asses. Even for minor points, I think it is normal people wonder why or how.

That said, I didn't mind the chains, there are probably multiple reasons I can think of why they had them.

Top Bottom