• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
It's almost like it was intentional for something.

It was so freaking cute I live for cheesy shit like that.

I initially wrote
"I loved how..." but I didn't want the anti DanyXJon crowd jumping down my throat lol.

Yeah it seemed to reinforce that Jon and Dany truly have feeling for one another. For me the moment it was cemented was when Dany came to rescue him. When she's reaching out for him and he's reaching back, you can see it in their eyes. Their relationship will survive revelation, book it. What if Bran makes Sam swear to secrecy and honours Ned's promise? If Jon's true heritage puts him in danger from Northmen, wouldn't that be breaking what Ned's tried so hard to keep?

After watching those lore videos from the Blu-Ray releases im really curious as to what actually went down at the Battle of the Trident.. in specific the fight between Robert and Rhaegar. Robert Baratheon narrating his version of events sounds super sketchy after knowing what we now know.
Eh. Robert was bigger, stronger, and more vicious than Rhaegar and a warhammer >>>>> sword when the combatants are wearing armor.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
What do you mean?
There are two tellings of Roberts Rebellion on the S1 blu-ray. One by Viscerys and one by Robert. The Targaryean retelling is obvious propaganda. Then Robert comes on and starts talking about justice and being wronged and everything. We've seen in the show several times that what is generally assumed to be historical fact is in reality a lie. The truth about Rhaegar and Leana. The circumstances behind Arthur Daynes death. The parentage (including the father) of Neds bastard. So in light of Viscerys version and that we know so far i could imagine a scenario where this battle that took place wasnt exactly glorious like Rhaegar trying to explain and suing for peace or even a parlay and getting a hammer to the chest.

Qvoth

not a book reader, but didn't cersei actually fell in love with robert before they were married? i think robert during the usurper days was quite the fighter

Surfinn

Jon doesn't want to be King in the North, Jon definitely wouldn't want the throne. However, I don't think Danny will make it and I could see him claiming it in her memory. We know Jon won't sacrifice duty over want or love, and he'd be sitting on a throne of bones. It sounds predictable but inevitable.

I really hope Danny (or Jon, again) doesn't die. I have a feeling they're both making it to the end.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I really hope Danny (or Jon, again) doesn't die. I have a feeling they're both making it to the end.

Remember how stannis kept trying to sacrifice someone with royal blood to fulfill the prophecy of the prince that was promised?

Well... there's only so many characters left with royal blood.... and they are all on the good side.

Unless Jon's first death counts as the sacrifice

Sad_face.jpg

OrionX

I initially wrote
"I loved how..." but I didn't want the anti DanyXJon crowd jumping down my throat lol.

Yeah it seemed to reinforce that Jon and Dany truly have feeling for one another. For me the moment it was cemented was when Dany came to rescue him. When she's reaching out for him and he's reaching back, you can see it in their eyes. Their relationship will survive revelation, book it. What if Bran makes Sam swear to secrecy and honours Ned's promise? If Jon's true heritage puts him in danger from Northmen, wouldn't that be breaking what Ned's tried so hard to keep?

I wish I was as optimistic as you about Jon and Dany's fate...

There's no way Bran doesn't tell him the truth. I haven't seen Bran that excited to talk all season lol. He literally was like "he must know." Why it's so important I'm not sure, since I don't think Jon will suddenly be like "Yeah, Dany... about that bent knee... jk!"

Heshinsi

There are two tellings of Roberts Rebellion on the S1 blu-ray. One by Viscerys and one by Robert. The Targaryean retelling is obvious propaganda. Then Robert comes on and starts talking about justice and being wronged and everything. We've seen in the show several times that what is generally assumed to be historical fact is in reality a lie. The truth about Rhaegar and Leana. The circumstances behind Arthur Daynes death. The parentage (including the father) of Neds bastard. So in light of Viscerys version and that we know so far i could imagine a scenario where this battle that took place wasnt exactly glorious like Rhaegar trying to explain and suing for peace or even a parlay and getting a hammer to the chest.

I just had a mental image of them having a parley and then Robert noticing a wedding band (or whatever they wore to signify marriage) that was different than the one Rheagal had for Elia. Next thing you know, Rhaegar is dead with his chest caved in.

"Did you guys see that?! He said he raped her and then challenged me to a duel! I totes won fair and square!"

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I just had a mental image of them having a parley and then Robert noticing a wedding band (or whatever they wore to signify marriage) that was different than the one Rheagal had for Elia. Next thing you know, Rhaegar is dead with his chest caved in.

"Did you guys see that?! He said he raped her and then challenged me to a duel! I totes won fair and square!"

"Seven Hells, what a scoundrel!"

jfkgoblue

I don't remember hearing that Rhaegar was "obsessed with prophecy," but I'm not trying to claim he was the biggest hero to ever grace Westeros. He clearly helped cause a giant clusterfuck regardless of his intentions.

Also Bran said that Rhaegar loved her. I'm gonna take the 3-Eyed Raven's word over yours, sorry. ;)
Bran can't read minds though, Rhaegar's obsession with the prophecy has been shown before however.

Heshinsi

You know what's awesome? Going back to season one and rewatching every scene between Robert and Ned where Robert mentions:

Wanting to kill Rhaegar
How he misses Lyanna
That Lyanna belonged to him and she was stolen
His plans to kill Dany

Ned's demeanour and reaction to these comments take on a whole new meaning in light of everything we know now. Last season you can argue that Ned may not have known that Rhaegar and Lyanna were married. But with confirmation that she told him that Jon's real name was Aegon Targaryen, Ned would instantly realise that his sister was neither kidnapped, nor raped by the prince.

So much restraint on the part of Ned in not reacting to Robert's hate mongering and slandering of Rhaegal? Robert acting like Lyanna was property that was owed to him, and his outrage that Robert would sign off on trying to kill a young girl who just so happened to be Jon's family and aunt.

Hydrus

So what exactly is the lie Roberts rebellion is built on?

Is it that Robert knew Lyanna chose Rhaegar and he put the whole "raped and killed" narrative out there out of spite?

Rhaegar ran away with Lyanna to Dorne. Robert loved her and was promised to marry her. He, along with everyone else assumed or was told, Rhaegar kidnapped and killed Lyanna ( Probably out of jealousy). Hence why he rebelled against the Mad king and killed Rhaegar. Lyanna was not kidnapped or killed. This is the lie, that started the rebellion, but to be fair, it probably would of happened regardless if Rhaegar and Lyanna announced their love for one another.

Atomic Odin

Did littile finger really think Royce would stand up for him?

https://youtu.be/qsUy5X9tUlQ

He probably enjoyed it more than Arya.

HJEmizv.png

Hydrus

I remember when this story had this kind of depth.

Funny enough, alot of those long dialog scenes in season 1, like the Cersei & Robert conversation, had to be made almost on the spot and tacked on because they ran out of budget and needed to fill an hours worth of episode. Ended up working out for them.

Vectorman

Banned
So Storm of Spoilers made a great point: Who is ruling Dorne atm? Is it just a wasteland now or something now that all the Martells are gone?

duckroll

"They were in love! He didn't kidnap or rape her. Jon isn't a bastard, he never was. He's the heir to the Iron Throne. We must tell him."

(Nevermind that it was still kidnap to most people since she was underage and he is an adult, no one cares that Jon is or isn't a bastard because he's already King in the North, and he is absolutely not the heir to the Iron Throne because the Targ line was usurped and everyone recognized that hence after.)

So Storm of Spoilers made a great point: Who is ruling Dorne atm? Is it just a wasteland now or something now that all the Martells are gone?

They are all ready and waiting, just need Edmund Talley to escape from his cell, rescue Ellaria, and order the attack. Should happen between Seasons 9 and 10.

Heshinsi

I keep telling people that there are 5 more Sand Snakes lol. Dorne probably just seething right now, and are so pissed yet again, that they don't care what happens outside of their realm anymore.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
She was initially attracted to him, his strength and ferocity but it quickly faded when he drunkenly assaulted her every night and called her Lyanna. I'd hold some resentment too.

Adoration is the furthest state from understanding.

That aside, given that revelation with Bran and Sam, why did the fight at the Tower of Joy even happen? Ned just went up and kept the baby safe anyway as a favor to his sister.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
(GoT) Jon and Daenerys || Ice and Fire

Dany and Jon is maybe my favorite hook up in TV history. GoT rarely has happy endings, and the few that it does have, are always at a cost. I really do hope that Dany and Jon will be happily together come episode 6 of season 8. At least give me this one, GRRM/D&D.
Adoration is the furthest state from understanding.

That aside, given that revelation with Bran and Sam, why did the fight at the Tower of Joy even happen? Ned just went up and kept the baby safe anyway as a favor to his sister.

Ned actually thought Lyanna got kidnapped, she didn't realize she actually ran away to be with her true love and not Robert. I assume he finally realized this when she told Ned to keep the baby safe and gave the kid a Targaryen name, and not just any, but the Targaryen name. A woman who was raped isn't going to honor the memory of the family of their rapist like that.

What we don't really know is if this lie was known to Robert or if he actually went to war under the assumption that Lyanna actually got kidnapped. The rebellion started because of a lie but was this lie on purpose? I guess we will never know.

Just_one

Dany and Jon is maybe my favorite hook up in TV history. GoT rarely has happy endings, and the few that it does have, are always at a cost. I really do hope that Dany and Jon will be happily together come episode 6 of season 8. At least give me this one, GRRM/D&D.

Ned actually thought Lyanna got kidnapped, she didn't realize she actually ran away to be with her true love and not Robert. I assume he finally realized this when she told Ned to keep the baby safe and gave the kid a Targaryen name, and not just any, but the Targaryen name. A woman who was raped isn't going to honor the memory of the family of their rapist like that.

What we don't really know is if this lie was known to Robert or if he actually went to war under the assumption that Lyanna actually got kidnapped. The rebellion started because of a lie but was this lie on purpose? I guess we will never know.

if dany really gets pregnant with jon´s kid , she will die giving birth, thats for sure.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Thats the reason i could see them giving the audience the happy ending...even if it doesnt mirror what GRRM has planned for the books. We will see what happens...but i can guarantee that many people will flip the fuck out if Dany and/or Jon die at the end lol.

Hype for the final season will be ridiculous.

nubbe

Thats the reason i could see them giving the audience the happy ending...even if it doesnt mirror what GRRM has planned for the books. We will see what happens...but i can guarantee that many people will flip the fuck out if Dany and/or Jon die at the end lol.

Hype for the final season will be ridiculous.

The bitterness is that Egg and Dany dies
The sweet is that their baby become the ruler with Tyrion as the Lord Protector

hoos30

Rewatching the earlier seasons now. Man do I miss how good they were. Characters are so much richer, the dialogue is much better, events aren't predictable.
You can so whatever you want in Act 1 of a story.

By Act 3, you have to tie together all of the things that you set up previously.

Ask GRRM how easy that is.

Yeah, someone says in an earlier season that Robert was a great fighter but a lousy king. Ironically had Tywin or one of the Tyrells, or even a Targeryan who wasn't mad been in power the kingdom would have probably prospered a lot more.

Cersei has actually had a really interesting journey and I can see over the years how she's become so twisted and cold.

I think they just wrote Dorne out because they had too many plot threads to wrap up. I mean, they didn't even show Mia&Me Sand Snake dying or what happened to Ellaria, so I would assume from the time left that they're dead, but with GoT that has previously never been an assumption you should make without physically seeing it.

Great video
Manages to capture how similar their journey has been and how destined they were to make boat love

It's called the Fuck Barge.

Heshinsi

Why give us the scene where Jon consoles Dany that her family will survive, if they just plan on ending the series with yet another orphaned Targaryen?

Is your dad dead? Yes. Method of death? Killed with a weapon of sorts. Is your mother dead? Yes. Method of death? Died in child birth. So this child is expected to lose his/her parents in a similar fashion to their own mother and father? That's some weak sauce ending.

Why give us the scene where Jon consoles Dany that her family will survive, if they just plan on ending the series with yet another orphaned Targaryen?

Is your dad dead? Yes. Method of death? Killed with a weapon of sorts. Is your mother dead? Yes. Method of death? Died in child birth. So this child is expected to lose his/her parents in a similar fashion to their own mother and father? That's some weak sauce ending.

if both Jon and Dany die that's not even bittersweet that's just tragic. I think one of them will die.

After watching those lore videos from the Blu-Ray releases im really curious as to what actually went down at the Battle of the Trident.. in specific the fight between Robert and Rhaegar. Robert Baratheon narrating his version of events sounds super sketchy after knowing what we now know.

Rhaegar should have stuck into fighting into those cute, little jousting tournaments instead of fighting one of the GOAT fighters in the battlefield. He was a dumbass. What I'm curious is did Robert know Lyanna loved Rheagar or not. And if he did, his pride made him change the story to her being kidnapped/raped etc. The victors determine history as they say.

Also did anyone find it a bit much that Jon forgave Theon? Yes I know Jon is super duper sweet and I generally love that there is a single character that is like that, but .. that seemed a bit much. He saved Sansa yeah.. but he killed one of the main men at Winterfell, burned two little kids, their Measter died, and betrayed Robb on top taking over Winterfell. It just kinda struck me as "lets make Jon the nicest nicest super nicest of them all!!" I think his speech that he's a Stark and Greyjoy was an amazing speech. I loved it. So was the part that what is he doing still doing here when his sis is captive was great. I know it's a minor part, but I winced a bit at that moment.

Would love to see a flashback of the battle at the trident honestly.

Robert B just sounds like an asshole through and through, no wonder Lyanna didn't want to be with him. Especially when a guy like Rhaegar comes around declaring his love for you.
I mean.. she should have known what her accepting his love would mean though. :\

Lamel

Banned
Would love to see a flashback of the battle at the trident honestly.

Robert B just sounds like an asshole through and through, no wonder Lyanna didn't want to be with him. Especially when a guy like Rhaegar comes around declaring his love for you.

Man I truly hate Robert. House Baratheon are such losers.

Except that whole usurper thing.

I don't watch the show. I read the books ( A Song of Ice and Fire, after all, as so many folks are realizing what the theme of the series was always about) but I read all the show spoilers.

How much time did Jon and Dany spend on screen before they realize they loved each other?

Top Bottom