• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Have you forgotten when he told Sansa about the punishment for treachery being death, and that the two traitorous lords would have been executed had they survived the battle? The only way the comparison fits, is if Dany was adamant that Lady Tarly and her daughter should be kicked out of their home. How are Randall and Dickon Tarly comparable to children who committed no crimes? Jon executed the Night's Watchmen who betrayed him, including a child. He went on a mission to kill the Watchmen who betrayed Lord Mormont, both to prevent them from spilling secrets, and to avenge the Lord Commander (he says as much to Jorah). He executed Janos Flynt for defying his commands.

Y'all are reimagining a lot of things lol.

Dickon is directly comparable to the Umber and Karstark children. The only difference is Dickon is old enough to actually fight. The fact that he took part in the sacking of Highgarden makes no difference as Dany has no problem accepting the surviving Tarly forces who just did so as well.

Jon hunts men who broke their vows as Night's Watchmen by killing the former Lord Commander and running off. He executed more Night's Watchmen, who again, sought mutiny and murder of their Lord Commander and fellow Watchmen. Flynt defying orders of the Lord Commander, like desertion, is punishable by death in the Night's Watch. Flynt had already previously failed in his command during the defense of the wall against Manse's Wildlings and hid in the kitchen the entire battle.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Randall Tarly was the one who betrayed House Tyrell, while Dickon simply followed his father, Lord of House Tarly. Daenerys had the choice. She could have spared Dickon the same way Jon did the Umber and Karstark children. Doing so would have gone a long way in convincing other lords in the future that she is not a "Savage" and respects their ways (as taking family members hostage under the guise of being "wards" to prevent rival houses from acting foolishly is a common tactic in Westeros).

This isn't a game of what ifs. There is no purpose in asking what any character would have done in a situation if all the circumstances and experiences were different. We're talking about the liklihood of what they will do given who they are currently. And currently, we have a Daenerys that responds to any dissension with death while Jon has shown repeatedly that he's willing to weigh his options fully before making the choice that offers the best result in the long run, even if it's harder in the short.

So did Jon. Holy shit lol. Dickon was his father's heir. He is held to the same oaths of fealty as his father. This wasn't some dude who was at home just hanging out while his father went around betraying the house they were sworn to. He was an active participant on killing and murdering Tyrells, their loyal bannermen, and the people of High Garden. How on earth is he in any way comparable to children who have no blood on their hands? Like what?!

The only person Jon has forgiven is Theon, and Theon went through hell and back, and saved Sansa to even get to that point. Jon has executed every other person who has directly betrayed him(Olly and Co) , broken their oaths and committed crimes (Night watch mutineers), or disobeyed him (Janos Slynt). Jon stated he would have executed Lord Stark and Lord Umber. Dickon's sister is the direct comparison to those children Jon refused to take their home from.

^ so essentially when Jon executes people for breaking the rules and the laws, it's ok. But Dany executes people for breaking the rules and laws, it's bad. Desertion and disobeying the commands of the Lord Commander is punishable by death as you state. But so is oath breaking and treason. So how is executing the Tarlys different? The Children didn't break any oaths, and they didn't betray anyone. This is like arguing that Jaime shouldn't be excuted because he's just following his dad's orders, in a scenario where they betray the crown? Huh? The adult son and heir is still bound by the same oaths of fealty as his father.

I was thinking today about how the wights are controlled. The idea that they're tied to a White Walker is interesting, but we've seen them solo before, the one at Castle Black, the bear. So even if they are, they don't really have to be in proximity, in which case, how exactly does it work and who controls which group?

This made me think about the NK and his new means of transportation. He might be able fly to Kings Landing, wreak havoc, raise the dead and move on to the next settlement.

So did Jon. Holy shit lol. Dickon was his father's heir. He is held to the same oaths of fealty as his father. This wasn't some dude who was at home just hanging out while his father went around betraying the house they were sworn to. He was an active participant on killing and murdering Tyrells, their loyal bannermen, and the people of High Garden. How on earth is he in any way comparable to children who have no blood on their hands? Like what?!

The only person Jon has forgiven is Theon, and Theon went through hell and back, and saved Sansa to even get to that point. Jon has executed every other person who has directly betrayed him(Olly and Co) , broken their oaths and committed crimes (Night watch mutineers), or disobeyed him (Janos Slynt). Jon stated he would have executed Lord Stark and Lord Umber. Dickon's sister is the direct comparison to those children Jon refused to take their home from.

The Umber and Karstark children present were the heirs just as Dickon is. That's why they were attending the meeting. As I said before, "having blood on his hands" doesn't matter as Dany is more than willing to let the soldiers survive and take them on as allies.

There is no difference in standing between the Umber and Karstark children and Dickon Tarly. Especially since taking away their titles and lands effectively eliminates their houses and dooms them to death as they will be marked as traitors in a land that has sworn fealty to the Starks. They'd get done in just as Lord Karstark did the Frey and Lannister kids.

I was thinking today about how the wights are controlled. The idea that they're tied to a White Walker is interesting, but we've seen them solo before, the one at Castle Black, the bear. So even if they are, they don't really have to be in proximity, in which case, how exactly does it work and who controls which group?

This made me think about the NK and his new means of transportation. He might be able fly to Kings Landing, wreak havoc, raise the dead and move on to the next settlement.
Maybe it's based on how strong the dead being is when it was alive.

Heshinsi

The Umber and Karstark children present were the heirs just as Dickon is. That's why they were attending the meeting. As I said before, "having blood on his hands" doesn't matter as Dany is more than willing to let the soldiers survive and take them on as allies.

There is no difference in standing between the Umber and Karstark children and Dickon Tarly. Especially since taking away their titles and lands effectively eliminates their houses and dooms them to death as they will be marked as traitors in a land that has sworn fealty to the Starks. They'd get done in just as Lord Karstark did the Frey and Lannister kids.

How about one killed a bunch of people and the others didn't, one is an adult and the others aren't, one actively betrayed his leige lords and the others didn't? I don't think we're ever going to agree on this lol.

^ so essentially when Jon executes people for breaking the rules and the laws, it's ok. But Dany executes people for breaking the rules and laws, it's bad. Desertion and disobeying the commands of the Lord Commander is punishable by death as you state. But so is oath breaking and treason. So how is executing the Tarlys different? The Children didn't break any oaths, and they didn't betray anyone. This is like arguing that's Jaime shouldn't be excuted because he's just following his dad's orders? Huh? The adult son and heir is still bound by the same oaths of fealty as his father.

No. The Night's Watch functions as an entirely different organization with it's own rules and laws. It's why your crimes, your station, your name means nothing once you join. Anyone can rise among the ranks. It functions completely differently than the politics of the Houses.

Jaime should have been executed for violating his oath as Kingsguard and stabbing The Mad King in the back. He wasn't because it was for the greater good.

However that doesn't even matter since Jaime's oath as Kingsguard supercedes his being the Lannister heir. Kingsguard are actually just like the Night's Watch in that regard. It has to be that way since their job is to protect the King from all threats, including their own families.

Dickon didn't break any oaths. He followed the orders of the Lord of his House. Disobeying the Lord of his House can have him disowned, like what happened with his brother Sam.

How about one killed a bunch of people and the others didn't, one is an adult and the others aren't, one actively betrayed his leige lords and the others didn't? I don't think we're ever going to agree on this lol.

We probably won't but the primary reason seems to be that you're making a distinction in Age and Action when the actual codes that Westeros operates by don't make that distinction. And for some reason you believe that an Heir who has yet to inherit a title is bound to an oath his Lord makes but somehow isn't bound by oath to his own Lord.

Maybe it's based on how strong the dead being is when it was alive.

So, prior to death if it was a child or elderly man it would need to be controlled by a WW, a strong solider or bear could be on it's own. Yeah, could be.

Or how long it's been dead.

Raised immediately, doesn't need control, pile of bones when raised, needs to be controlled.

Heshinsi

No. The Night's Watch functions as an entirely different organization with it's own rules and laws. It's why your crimes, your station, your name means nothing once you join. Anyone can rise among the ranks. It functions completely differently than the politics of the Houses.

Jaime should have been executed for violating his oath as Kingsguard and stabbing The Mad King in the back. He wasn't because it was for the greater good.

However that doesn't even matter since Jaime's oath as Kingsguard supercedes his being the Lannister heir. Kingsguard are actually just like the Night's Watch in that regard. It has to be that way since their job is to protect the King from all threats, including their own families.

Dickon didn't break any oaths. He followed the orders of the Lord of his House. Disobeying the Lord of his House can have him disowned, like what happened with his brother Sam.

The heir to a title once they reach the age of majority have always sworn fealty to their Liege lords or monarchs. That's been something is consistent throughout human history. Why would Westeros be any different? Hell some societies would have the younger generation swear fealty to their rulers at even younger ages.

We probably won't but the primary reason seems to be that you're making a distinction in Age and Action when the actual codes that Westeros operates by don't make that distinction. And for some reason you believe that an Heir who has yet to inherit a title is bound to an oath his Lord makes but somehow isn't bound by oath to his own Lord.

Umm, how is that not how things work? Randall Tarly used that same justification to circumvent his oaths to House Tyrell. "When my Queen summons me, I must answer." Except Tarly was answering the calls of the woman who murdered his lord and his queen, so Olenna was in her right to rebel. So yeah, avenging Lord Mace Tyrell's murder supersedes Dickon's father's command to switch sides. His own father is using that same logic to swear his fealty to Cersei.

So, prior to death if it was a child or elderly man it would need to be controlled by a WW, a strong solider or bear could be on it's own. Yeah, could be.

2 of the 3 wights that were active without a WW around is the Night's Watch ranger, part of Benjen's party, and a giant ass polar bear.

Maybe the wight they brought to KL was some great wildling warrior in the past.

Noticed something on my season rewatch about Poppa Tarly, when the loot train was moving slow, he suggested whipping the men. Jaime gave him a look like, are you fucked, they just fought in battle taking Highgarden, maybe we should at least give them a strong warning first.

Dude was a piece of shit through and through. Fuck him and his stupid ass son

Noticed something on my season rewatch about Poppa Tarly, when the loot train was moving slow, he suggested whipping the men. Jaime gave him a look like, are you fucked, they just fought in battle taking Highgarden, maybe we should at least give them a strong warning first.

Dude was a piece of shit through and through. Fuck him and his stupid ass son

his son was a stupidass but I think Sam had a soft spot for him. Sam doesn't seem the type to want his brother/father dead just coz they treated him like shit.

More over, they didn't really make it clear if Sam & his brother were on good terms or not. Perhaps Sam hated his father but him & Dickon were okay? Once Dany gets to Winterfell I don't think his meeting with Dany will go all well and there's going to be a conflict there with Jon, what is he going to do/say?

Heshinsi

his son was a stupidass but I think Sam had a soft spot for him. Sam doesn't seem the type to want his brother/father dead just coz they treated him like shit.

More over, they didn't really make it clear if Sam & his brother were on good terms or not. Perhaps Sam hated his father but him & Dickon were okay? Once Dany gets to Winterfell I don't think his meeting with Dany will go all well and there's going to be a conflict there with Jon, what is he going to do/say?

Him and his brother were not ok. Buddy was snickering and giggling every time Randall spat horse shit at Sam, and was openly mocking him. Fuck Randall, and fuck Dickon. Holy shit that scene in the dinning room makes my blood boil.

Him and his brother were not ok. Buddy was snickering and giggling every time Randall spat horse shit at Sam, and was openly mocking him. Fuck Randall, and fuck Dickon. Holy shit that scene in the dinning room makes my blood boil.

that was the only scene we ever saw of the 2 of them together man. they made clear him & his dad were not cool but it wasn't enough to make me think him & his bro hated each other too.

The heir to a title once they reach the age of majority have always sworn fealty to their Liege lords or monarchs. That's been something is consistent throughout human history. Why would Westeros be any different? Hell some societies would have the younger generation swear fealty to their rulers at even younger ages.

Because Westeros isn't human history. The show has never shown anyone reaching the age of majority and then swearing fealty to their liege lord or King. What it's shown is a Lord of the the major Houses swearing fealty to the King that sits on the Iron Throne and a number of lesser Houses swearing fealty to their respective region's major House.

All the houses that named Robb and later Jon King in the North have would have technically broken fealty with whoever sat on the Iron Throne at the time. Yet, no matter who is on the Iron Throne, their goal is only to kill the King in the North or have them swear fealty. No fault is placed on the lesser houses in those cases. Because you can't just go around killing every adult Noble because their Lord broke his oath otherwise there will be no Nobility left and the entire system breaks down.

Umm, how is that not how things work? Randall Tarly used that same justification to circumvent his oaths to House Tyrell. "When my Queen summons me, I must answer." Except Tarly was answering the calls of the woman who murdered his lord and his queen, so Olenna was in her right to rebel. So yeah, avenging Lord Mace Tyrell's murder supersedes Dickon's father's command to switch sides. His own father is using that same logic to swear his fealty to Cersei.

Actually, the logic he uses is that Cersei is the rightful Queen as she's not foreign while Daenerys is.

Edit: I should expand to address your points fully. When he's presented the option of swearing fealty to Cersei or honoring his fealty to House Tyrell he's presented with the fact that Olenna has allied with a foreign power. At that point, Olenna is no longer within her rights and supporting her wouldn't be rebelling against the killer of Queen Margery but instead in support of a foreign usurper.

I'm sure Sam will be quite sad to hear about his brother.

But that's war. They betrayed Olenna and sided with Cersei, then Dany gave them the option, fight for me or die. They even offered to send Randyll to join the Nights Watch, dude is a bigger coward than Sam.

Their treasonous act against house Tyrell is the reason they're dead, nothing else.

The punishment for treason is death, usually by public execution. If expedient, a traitor may instead be pardoned in exchange of hostages or by agreeing to take the black and join the Night's Watch.

Heshinsi

that was the only scene we ever saw of the 2 of them together man. they made clear him & his dad were not cool but it wasn't enough to make me think him & his bro hated each other too.

Let me ask you this. Do you think Jaime would sit there, giggle and snicker, while Tywin treats Tyrion the way Randall treated Sam in that scene? Do you think the Starks would have behaved that way as someone rips into one of their own? Hell even Euron was commanded by both Jaime and Cersei to back the fuck off of Tyrion when he was making those comments at him.

Fine I get it, Randall Tarly is a piece of shit who probably ran his house with an iron fist. But Dickon wasn't just a silent observer quietly showing disdain at what his father was doing, in a similar fashion to visibly distraught and disgusted Margaery during the wedding with Joffrey. No, that little shit was smirking, giggling, and I can almost assure you, in complete agreement with everything his father was saying.

I'm sure Sam will be quite sad to hear about his brother.

But that's war. They betrayed Olenna and sided with Cersei, then Dany gave them the option, fight for me or die. They even offered to send Randyll to join the Nights Watch, dude is a bigger coward than Sam.

Their treasonous act against house Tyrell is the reason they're dead, nothing else.

The punishment for treason is death, usually by public execution. If expedient, a traitor may instead be pardoned in exchange of hostages or by agreeing to take the black and join the Night's Watch.
It's war, yeah. Davos was willing to accept working with Tyrion even though Tyrion was responsible for his son's death, because he knows that working with Tyrion is for the greater good; winning the winter war. I'm pretty sure Davos has never even seen the NKing or a zombie before the s7 finale, yet he believed and put all of his trust in Jon.

But Sam may still be emotional about his brother's death since he's not as older & experienced in the art of war like Davos is.
As for Randyl's passing, I wouldn't say it's cowardice, more like arrogance. Weren't his last words something like, "You ain't my queen, so you can't send me to the wall."
Let me ask you this. Do you think Jaime would sit there, giggle and snicker, while Tywin treats Tyrion the way Randall treated Sam in that scene? Do you think the Starks would have behaved that way as someone rips into one of their own? Hell even Euron was commanded by both Jaime and Cersei to back the fuck off of Tyrion when he was making those comments at him.

Fine I get it, Randall Tarly is a piece of shit who probably ran his house with an iron fist. But Dickon wasn't just a silent observer quietly showing disdain at his father was doing, in a similar fashion to visibly distraught and disgusted Margaery during the wedding with Joffrey. No, that little shit was smirking, giggling, and I can almost assure you, in complete agreement with everything his father was saying.

Dickon was an idiot. He was young, and he died stupid. I think Dany's gonna end up giving Sam an apology but relegating to say that if she could go back, she'd do it again.

mm04

The Karstark and Umber kids are as good as dead. Their keeps are on the front line of the inevitable attack of the Night King. Sure, they were spared, but why waste your own soldiers and loyal banners getting overrun populating those keeps when you can make the Karstarks and Umbers be cannon fodder in the meantime? I thought that was obvious during the episode. You all get to live (for now), you pledge allegiance to me and good luck being the first to battle when the Night King and his army show up.

As for Randyl's passing, I wouldn't say it's cowardice, more like arrogance. Weren't his last words something like, "You ain't my queen, so you can't send me to the wall."

Yeah, arrogance, sure. I say objecting the option to go to the wall was also cowardice though. He couldn't imagine himself being in a position that would put him in a rank below his own son that he sent there.

He'd be a peasant, just a goon without a title. Took the easy way out and chose death.

Heshinsi

Yeah, arrogance, sure. I say objecting the option to go to the wall was also cowardice though. He couldn't imagine himself being in a position that would put him in a rank below his own son that he sent there.

He'd be a peasant, just a goon without a title. Took the easy way out and chose death.

If only Tyrion knew about what Randall did to Sam. Tell Dany to do something similar to what Stannis offered Jon, say it loudly enough for Randall to hear it, and watch how quickly those knees would have bent. Dude would have straight up dropped his whole bullshit if he even thought for a minute that Sam could in any way inherit his titles.

If only Tyrion knew about what Randall did to Sam. Tell Dany to do something similar to what Stannis offered Jon, say it loudly enough for Randall to hear it, and watch how quickly those knees would have bent. Dude would have straight up dropped his whole bullshit if he even thought for a minute that Sam could in any way inherit his titles.

Yup, he wouldn't even have had a chance to process it all mentally before bending the knee through some deep seeded reflex out of pure hate for Sam, lol.

Better off dead though, Dany doesn't want treasonous lords in her company. Not if she plans to truly make the world a better place. Plus, Sam gets the land and titles and hes a good man who deserves them.

Markoman

Cersei's unborn child, then Gendry, then tie between Jon and Dany. It means something in this world when someone takes your throne from you, and at that moment that they do successfuly, it is theirs. So once Baratheon takes the throne, the Targaryen heirs are no longer heirs. And once Cersei takes it, the Baratheon heirs are no longer heirs....in my opinion!

Cersei's unborn child is a bastard tho. (Mark my words: Jamie is not the father).

The whole monarchy needs a reboot. There is no legitimate heir right now unless someone can provide evidence that the Targaryens were robbed. Then it's Jon.

Isn't Sam still bound by his oath? He technically deserted that by dropping out of his maester course. What if Jon has to kill him, in his role as Warden?

televator

Isn't Sam still bound by his oath? He technically deserted that by dropping out of his maester course. What if Jon has to kill him, in his role as Warden?

In the face of NK and white walkers, tradition and rules are getting tossed out. Women are being trained for war, wildlings are posted at the wall, and a "bastard" is king of the north. I think Sam has some wiggle room being bros with Jon and all.

Sambrez_

Maybe Cersei is not pregnant though, not sure if that was discussed but at first I thought that it was a strategy to keep Jaime close to her.
Even if he left, I'm still not 100% sure she's really pregnant.

Markoman

Would that matter though? Joffrey wanted Gendry dead for having claim to the throne, and that despite him being a bastard.

Joffrey was officially a Baratheon tho. I'm not sure about Gendry and his possible claims, someone itt mentioned that bastards have no claim.

BUT

The whole Gendry thing happened when the Baratheons were at helm.
Cersei (if she really is pregnant) is basically a widow and queen mother.
Her child is not a product of royal marriage. I say: 0 claims... but it's a show and we're talking Cersei, so yeah, if she goes full autocrat, she can do whatever she wants.

BTW does anyone else think that -yes- Cersei is an evil bitch, but she isn't the mad, crazy queen I expected her to become. She's quite rational and behaves like Tywin. Does she drink less this episode, can't remember?
Sadly this show hasn't portrayed any interaction of her as a ruler and her subjects.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
And Kit Harrington has been in a romance with Rosie Leslie for years. Y'all know nothing.

I thought you were joking, but after looking it up, TIL Jon Snow and Ygritte are actually an item in real life. I'm not one for gossip, but damn, this kinda puts their on-screen romance in perspective. Ygritte was so good <3.

stefanneda91

Neo Member
The waiting begins now. 2 years :-(.
The only thing that is bothering me is if the Night King didn't have Sindragosa, how would he get over the wall? So that means only because our heroes fucked up, did the undead break the wall down. Or was there another way to for the NK to bypass the wall, just I didn't see it on the show it or read it in the books?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
A show doesn't need to be surprising to be entertaining.

Yeah, I have to say I'll never, ever find the "criticism" of "predictability" to be valid in any way. If that's one of your major stipulations to consider a show or book as being well written, then that's pretty stupid.

In the face of NK and white walkers, tradition and rules are getting tossed out. Women are being trained for war, wildlings are posted at the wall, and a "bastard" is king of the north. I think Sam has some wiggle room being bros with Jon and all.

To add to this, I don't know if Jon is even Lord Commander of the Night's Watch anymore.

Yeah, I have to say I'll never, ever find the "criticism" of "predictability" to be valid in any way. If that's one of your major stipulations to consider a show or book as being well written, then that's pretty stupid.
I can speak towards this one and say the issue isn't that something isn't good if it doesn't have twists and turns. It's more that certain things can be....irritating? Condescending is way too strong a word...But it hurts something for me when we get a twist that has been obvious for ages IF it is done in a way that it is supposed to be shocking. It bugs me because I think "does the writer (whomever) think I'm an idiot?"

With all that being said, I can't think of the last time it has bothered me off the top of my head.

Top Bottom