• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

I have to admit, I'm still upset about how they handled the Jon and Benjen reunion. More upset that I reasonably should be. Jon's death was believable for that Benjen hook.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Summer and Benjen went out like chumps, at least let them kill a bunch of them before getting killed. They both, at most, killed one before dying themselves.

I have to admit, I'm still upset about how they handled the Jon and Benjen reunion. More upset that I reasonably should be. Jon's death was believable for that Benjen hook.
Benjen death looks jarring because it's like those terrible, hackey ass moments on tv you roll your eyes at. Getting on a great tv series just makes it incredibly jarring. I haven't read the books, but you know GRRIM wouldn't have that type of garbage anywhere near his books (literally turning into the people I trash with this last sentence lol). They should have just let Benjen chill at the real north and leave that story alone if they couldn't close it properly, it didn't need to have some sort of closure :\ Not everything does.

I hope the show brings back the heavy feeling this series has had the first 6 seasons. Didn't feel it much during season 7 other than the finale despite only LF dieing.

Nameless

The Long Night is coming, and Mods come with it. Show Watchers can't stop them, Book Readers can't stop them, and all the Gaming side can't stop them -- only together, and that still might not be enough but at least we'll give the fuckers a fight!

Volimar

The Long Night is coming, and Mods come with it. Show Watchers can't stop them, Book Readers can't stop them, and all the Gaming side can't stop them -- only together, and that still might not be enough but at least we'll give the fuckers a fight!

<rows away>

Later, suckers

Volimar

Speaking of, is there anyway that there are going new Dragons going forward? Like, are Daenys remaining dragons able to mate?

I think they're all dudes. If I were her I'd be putting out the call. A bounty on petrified dragon eggs. Maybe suit up an expedition in full plate and send em to what's left of old Valeria.

Nameless

I can't wait for episode 8 tomorrow.

Randyll-Dickon-Tarly.gif

I mean, I kind of figured they tacitly agreed to have sex when she had the "I CAN'T HAVE KIDS" conversation in Episode 6.

I legitimately hope the payoff to the "Jon is a Targaryen" storyline is that he shows up to Winterfell, announces he's marrying Dany and then Sam and Bran look at each other with a knowing look and go "well fuck that I ain't saying shit."

"Too late to tell him Bran, he's already got ants..I mean...aunts in his pants".

Ladekabel

I get bombarded with the Bran = Night King theory. I tell people to stop but they won't listen to me.

Since when can the Three-Eyed Raven see the future? When was he able to control a persons in the past? For the latter I forgot how Hodor ended up but I don't think he controled him in the past.

effzee

My wife keeps telling me there are rumors next season is going to be 90 to 120 minutes episodes. I haven't seen this anywhere and if true why not just do a full 10 ep season.

Any validity to it? Man I miss it already.

Sande

I get bombarded with the Bran = Night King theory. I tell people to stop but they won't listen to me.

Since when can the Three-Eyed Raven see the future? When was he able to control a persons in the past? For the latter I forgot how Hodor ended up but I don't think he controled him in the past.
Bran has visions of the future. It's not like he can go wherever he wants in person and see things clearly like with the past.

Wylis got messed up when Bran warged into him while in the past with him. Bran couldn't control young Wylis, but I guess his present and future got kind of jumbled since he could hear Meera and that was just too much for him. Bran's powers are getting stronger so I could see him controlling people, both past and present, eventually.

Overall I can kind of see the Night King theory, but I haven't come across an answer to why Bran would act the way he does as the Night King. Like if it really was Bran, there would probably be some reasonable end goal but as it stands he seems to only try to kill everyone. Bran losing himself completely and having no agency feels redundant because it makes the whole premise irrelevant in the first place. If NK is not really Bran anymore, then what's the point of him being Bran at all?

Elandyll

Banned
My wife keeps telling me there are rumors next season is going to be 90 to 120 minutes episodes. I haven't seen this anywhere and if true why not just do a full 10 ep season.

It's a fan theory, and part of a wish list (alongside Miguel Sochnik directing all 6)... it sort of makes sense to make each episode next season a mini movie and a "can't miss" event.

You know they're going to advertise the crap out of it and organize several "catch up" marathons to boost subs.

At least I would.

The Pope

Sad LF is dead. Was about time though. It's just he was the last character who reminded of all the clever dialogue and interactions (the reason I watched the show) from the first few seasons.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So, what do you expect to happen to Bronn? I kinda wanted him to die because he betrayed Tyrrion when he was accused of killing Joffrey, but it seems like there is still a bit loyalyty for the small dude left in him.
Maybe he will be now the leader of the Lennister army?

bionic77

My guess would be the last 2 episodes will be 90-120 minutes long.

The first 4 will be normal length or slightly longer.

effzee

It's a fan theory, and part of a wish list (alongside Miguel Sochnik directing all 6)... it sort of makes sense to make each episode next season a mini movie and a "can't miss" event.

You know they're going to advertise the crap out of it and organize several "catch up" marathons to boost subs.

At least I would.

I'd take him directing all the episodes in a heartbeat.

He can handle spectacle and the drama stuff equally well.

Winds of Winter might be the best episode in TV history.

Curufinwe

So, what do you expect to happen to Bronn? I kinda wanted him to die because he betrayed Tyrrion when he was accused of killing Joffrey, but it seems like there is still a bit loyalyty for the small dude left in him.

He's dumb if he stays in KL without Jaime there to protect him from Cersei.

Robot Pants

I mean it's HBO they can do whatever they want really and it's honestly THE biggest show in decades.
With only six episodes left they need to take their time and absolutely make all the episodes longer. With the final two being either 2 hours or close to it.

And just cancel westworld and use all of its budget for game of thrones so we can get more episodes.
Westworld isnt gonna take off

Artdayne

I'm trying to reconcile with the fact that the long night is going to last 3-5 episodes. Old Nan told us that during the last long night Kings froze to death in their castles, children who were born and die all in darkness, the last long night lasted a generation, women smothered their babies rather than see them starve.

Loke13

How did he betray Tyrion? Didn't he just refuse to be his champion?

Volimar

I'm trying to reconcile with the fact that the long night is going to last 3-5 episodes. Old Nan told us that during the last long night Kings froze to death in their castles, children who were born and die all in darkness, the last long night lasted a generation, women smothered their babies rather than see them starve.

It's possible that the Night King is responsible for the long night. They bring the winter with them. If he is defeated maybe the winter returns to a normal cycle and length. on the other hand, maybe the show ends with most of the winter still to come.

nubbe

They didn't have dragons
The Night king only got the weakest one, he's toasted

Artdayne

It's possible that the Night King is responsible for the long night. They bring the winter with them. If he is defeated maybe the winter returns to a normal cycle and length. on the other hand, maybe the show ends with most of the winter still to come.

I'm sure he is. That said, the entire series is really about this great war and I just hope they manage to convey the seriousness of this threat. There needs to be a huge death toll.

So how can the Northern army now fight both white walkers and Euron Greyjoy's new army? I think Dani is going to lose. She is probably going to defeat the white walkers but not enough army left to survive the Eruron Greyjoys counter attack. I think Cersei and Euron will rule the seven kingdoms. Maybe Cersei get assassinated by Arya stark disguised as LF. But Arya can die during the battle vs WW too.

Volimar

So how can the Northern army now fight both white walkers and Euron Greyjoy's new army? I think Dani is going to lose. She is probably going to defeat the white walkers but not enough army left to survive the Eruron Greyjoys counter attack. I think Cersei and Euron will rule the seven kingdoms. Maybe Cersei get assassinated by Arya stark disguised as LF. But Arya can die during the battle vs WW too.

We'll find out, though Cersei seems content to wait until the battle vs the NK is over before fighting them.

Vashetti

Banned

Honestly, I've no idea why he's still around.

No offence to the actor, seems like a great guy and I love the character. But in a show where they've been truncating for several seasons now and eliminating most of the secondary and tertiary characters, it makes you wonder why Bronn isn't dead or resolved at this point.

Since Season 5, they just trot him out when they need to give Jaime a companion.

Comes across as though D&D love Jerome and can't bring themselves to end his contract.

No offence to the actor, seems like a great guy and I love the character. But in a show where they've been truncating for several seasons now and eliminating most of the secondary and tertiary characters, it makes you wonder why Bronn isn't dead or resolved at this point.

Since Season 5, they just trot him out when they need to give Jaime a companion.

Comes across as though D&D love Jerome and can't bring themselves to end his contract.

You say you like the character but it seems like you're biased for some reason, the same could be said for so many others.

We can see now that Bronn was kept alive to facilitate the meeting between Tyrion and Jamie which was necessary for Jon/Dany and Cersei to meet face to face before the final confrontation.

There's less purpose for him at this point, barring more future plans.

Either way, it's entirely possible for characters to be removed without killing them. I wish the fans weren't so blood thirsty and that the showrunners weren't either. Brink comes across as too experienced to stick around now that Jamie is gone and it wouldn't make sense for him to join the other side either. Best chance for him would be to disappear now that his title and lands won't likely happen. Dude should take off and live to Merc another day.

Bolded is why they keep him around.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is he already a lord? I remember him running around an ocean with a lady and talking about marrying.

My problem with Bronn is that I like him, but all he does is talking about fucking and drinking and thats annyoing for at least two or three seasons now and I dont feel that he really has evolved.
Ok, maybe he has, Season 2 Bronn would not have come to save Jaimie and giving his money away while doing that, but still.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I wonder if the Dany & Jon will ultimately be saved by wild dragons at the end ala 'The Eagles' from LoTR.

The final Fantasy trope to die, the dragons will fly down looking like they are going to save them, then suddenly turn on them and rip them to pieces.

Is he already a lord? I remember him running around an ocean with a lady and talking about marrying.

My problem with Bronn is that I like him, but all he does is talking about fucking and drinking and thats annyoing for at least two or three seasons now and I dont feel that he really has evolved.
Ok, maybe he has, Season 2 Bronn would not have come to save Jaimie and giving his money away while doing that, but still.

He technically has the title but hasn't actually come into possession of any land or been widely recognized. That stuff will only come after the war if Cersei wins.

He could still collect double if he goes to Tyrion.

Will he though? It would be up to Dany to decide in the end as a Hand can't dole out titles.

Jamie can't either but Cersei is far more likely to reward someone trading sides to her advantage than Dany is. For Cersei, you just have to be useful and not a threat to her. For Dany, you have to convince her that you're a worthwhile person first and foremost.

Top Bottom