• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

I don't get why they would push this into 2019 other than just to keep the hype going.

They are used to writing, scouting locations, and then shooting 10 episodes every year now in preparation for seasons which begin in April.

All of a sudden the scripts for the remaining 6 episodes only just finished? Why? And with less episodes, less characters, and with the end game in sight, they don't need more exotic locations. Most of the remaining episodes probably center on 1-2 locations.

Confused by this if it does slip into 2019. Summer 2018 makes perfect sense.

I think the final 6 are all going to be extra effects focused, even more than now. Seeing all the work in Loot Train BtS, I can see why they need the time.

Rethinking my love for Season 7's episodes so far because of episode 5's opening.

Apart from some set-pieces and scenes it's not good. Especially the last episode.

I'd have preferred for Bronn to be killed in Ep 4 and Jaime captured. Why tf are they alive and safe in KL?

Eh, honeymoon period's already over. Hope the last 2 episodes are great.

HMD

I think the final 6 are all going to be extra effects focused, even more than now. Seeing all the work in Loot Train BtS, I can see why they need the time.

Yeah considering the even higher budget per episode, this will be insane. I hope we get a 2 hour series finale though.

If they were smart, they would do 6 episodes in early 2019 and then have the got master goatchnik direct a 3 hour movie for late 2020/ summer 2021. This would coincide with the spin off series where the double Ds would only be producers while someone else takes over the reigns of the helm. It would start basically a few weeks to a month post movie release. You're welcome HBO marketing team, I'll take my money in bank deposit by the end of the week for this plan.

All the while George still doesn't release the 6th book ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

My guess is it has something to do with Westworld.
Maybe HBO have a limited annual budget for all their series and since Westworld seems like quite an expensive series to make(although, not as much as Game of Thrones I suppose), they'll focus on S2 of Westworld first, than S8 of Game of Thrones.

But, what do I know huh?
I would be surprised if they didn't make exceptions for got. We're talking about a show that earns them hundreds of millions overall (merch included). As someone said there is just a ton more work for s8 both in the CGI and battle department, they need to take longer.

Makes sense. At the end of the day, they can take as long as they want as long as we get an amazing finale. The ending is always the most important part to me....and I want those last 5 minutes of the series to rock me.
The adventure (journey) is more thrilling than the ending for me, and it's been a ride that has given me more pleasure than 1000 lying whores. Even if they fuck it up, it'll end up one of my favorites. Saying that, I'm expecting a pretty fantastic ending myself.

I'm a pretty easy going easy pleased viewer of television with very few complaints about anything and this annoyed even me
Same. It instantly kicked episode 4 out of my top 5 instantly with that bullshit once episode 5 aired lol

Season 7 started airing almost three months later in the calendar year than Season 6, so you have to factor in that shift in the schedule, as well.
Makes sense. At the end of the day, they can take as long as they want as long as we get an amazing finale. The ending is always the most important part to me....and I want those last 5 minutes of the series to rock me.

Rethinking my love for Season 7's episodes so far because of episode 5's opening.

Apart from some set-pieces and scenes it's not good. Especially the last episode.

I'd have preferred for Bronn to be killed in Ep 4 and Jaime captured. Why tf are they alive and safe in KL?

I'm a pretty easy going easy pleased viewer of television with very few complaints about anything and this annoyed even me

The reason for it was so they could start filming during a different time of the year, now what Winter has arrived they wanted their filming locations to reflect that.

I feel like with the faster pace and the reduced episodes, it's best to treat season 7 and season 8 as really long movies. That's how I will rationalize and prepare myself for the long wait of season 8 anyways, heh

HMD

It annoyed you because mistakes used to have consequences on this show before, it's a sudden shift in how the series is run just to rush to GRRM's outlined ending they probably have.

There being no consequences for either Bronn or Jamie is the biggest load of bullshit this show has ever pulled imo. I'm still enjoying this season...but mostly for the spectacle now...and tbh the show hasn't gripped me in the way it used to for a while. Like others have said, I preferred it when the plot drove the characters and not the other way around, which is what so commonly happens when a show gets too big, I just wish GoT wasn't one of them.

I don't get why they would push this into 2019 other than just to keep the hype going.

They are used to writing, scouting locations, and then shooting 10 episodes every year now in preparation for seasons which begin in April.

All of a sudden the scripts for the remaining 6 episodes only just finished? Why? And with less episodes, less characters, and with the end game in sight, they don't need more exotic locations. Most of the remaining episodes probably center on 1-2 locations.

Confused by this if it does slip into 2019. Summer 2018 makes perfect sense.

It's not that simple. Most of the earlier seasons were 90% dialogue scenes with very few big climactic (read: expensive and complicated to shoot) scenes. Yes it took a long time to scout and shoot but once you were done post production probably didn't take that long since you didn't have to do too many CGI effects outside those big episode 9s.

Now in Season 7 there is like a big climactic scene with tons of effects every other episode and I expect season 8 to be even bigger in scope. That post production can easily delay Season 8 into late 2018/early 2019. And no HBO likely won't air GOT and Westworld at the same time.

Yea. Bronn should have died after the bolt didn't kill Drogon. His fire is like 20-30 feet wide, and he just rolls off the scorpion and is fine?

Very unbelievable even for a fantasy show.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yea. Bronn should have died after the bolt didn't kill Drogon. His fire is like 20-30 feet wide, and he just rolls off the scorpion and is fine?

Bronn's gear gives him Evade +2, which gives him more invincible frames than usual.

The only reason I felt he didn't die was so they could have a Tyrion and Bronn reunion..... and then they literally just have Bronn introduce Jamie to Tyrion with no conversation between them.

Not even thinking about what is realistic for what the show has been so far....it just would have been much more dramatic for Bronn to at least get hurt. We had a buildup from episode 1 that the scorpion was huge and going to really wreck a dragon. Then the time comes, we see it unveiled, and think "oh shit." It's tense. Bronn shoots. And we're afraid for Drogon. Then it hits, we see it is a pinprick, and before we can even let go our held breath BAM. Bronn is hit.

Jaime should have been out in the field with the Tarlys.

When Daenerys burns the Tarlys and Jaime's next, Tyrion could convince her how valuable Jaime is as a hostage and how it will keep Cersei at bay.
That could make the armistice and ceasefire stronger, thus buying time for Jon and the Suicide Squad.

Something in that area but better written(as I'm sure there are way better ideas out there) would have been better than swimming across the river and making it out relatively unscathed.

illamap

For me ending isn't really important at all, it's just a small 5 minutes of the show like any other. Experience of the rest of the <73 hours is far more important.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
There being no consequences for either Bronn or Jamie is the biggest load of bullshit this show has ever pulled imo. I'm still enjoying this season...but mostly for the spectacle now...and tbh the show hasn't gripped me in the way it used to for a while. Like others have said, I preferred it when the plot drove the characters and not the other way around, which is what so commonly happens when a show gets too big, I just wish GoT wasn't one of them.

Well Cersei facing zero consequences for what she pulled with the Sept is also pretty ridiculous. It was also highly convenient that the southern lords are far more flexible with their oaths to their liege lords than the north. Ned Stark gets executed and every lord in the north backs Robb in his insurrection. The whole Tyrell family is wiped out, and the Tarlys are like, "but her emails but brown people!" Also, I can't buy that there was absolutely no blow back from the citizens in King's Landing. We go from closing season 10 with a coronation where everyone feels like a hostage and is in fear, to jubilant crowds from commoners to nobility screaming like their team just won the league.

Surfinn

The river escape was the only part that I didn't care for so far this season.

Honestly, it doesn't seem very believable at all and they essentially threw a dumpster over Jamie, but I can forgive them when the season has been so goddamn good.

Acceptable flaws

The river escape was the only part that I didn't care for so far this season.
Me too. Considering, how the hell does Tyrion know Jaime didn't drown if they never saw them come back up, and if they assumed they didn't drown, why not try and capture them to use as bargaining chips with cersei

Surfinn

Me too. Considering, how the hell does Tyrion know Jaime didn't drown if they never saw them come back up, and if they assumed they didn't drown, why not try and capture them to use as bargaining chips with cersei

Didn't he not known until he met with Bronn right before the meeting with Jaime?

OrionX

Yeah I'm not usually one to nitpick but that annoyed me. I mean I can give Dany a pass cuz she was busy trying to cast curaga on Drogon, but Tyrion saw the whole thing. Wouldn't his priority be to have his brother fished out of the river? Bleh, I guess I'll just have to convince myself it had a super fast current, even though we saw Jaime slowly sink straight down. lol

Bronn's advantage is that he's smart as hell. Dario has a better advantage against a group, but 1-on-1 I think Bronn could figure him out and take him down, like Bronn did in his duel for Tyrion.

The guy Bronn took out in a duel is a nobody compared to someone like Dario. Dario is also very smart in battle. Remember when he took on Mereen's champion? He wasn't "cool" then?

Here's the kicker, Bronn was scared shitless to go against the mountain, Dario would have seen him as another notch in his belt.

Bronn knew as soon as the Dothraki swatted away his knife that he was done. The fact that Bronn started running away from a fight with a single Dothraki tells you that he's no match for Dario. Not even close.

Hydrus

I'm sorry, but I simply cannot wait until 2019. That is not an option. It will release next summer or there will be hell to pay.

Yeah I'm not usually one to nitpick but that annoyed me. I mean I can give Dany a pass cuz she was busy trying to cast curaga on Drogon, but Tyrion saw the whole thing. Wouldn't his priority be to have his brother fished out of the river? Bleh, I guess I'll just have to convince myself it had a super fast current, even though we saw Jaime slowly sink straight down. lol

What gets me is the guy was literally 20 feet from Dany. She saw him go into the water. Yet she didn't have someone search for him?

Even a line like: "We're still searching for your commander, Lord Tarly. You seem to have more honor in facing me than he did once defeated" or whatever... something to that effect.

It's just common sense, but the writing is very weak this season.

Heshinsi

The guy Bronn took out in a duel is a nobody compared to someone like Dario. Dario is also very smart in battle. Remember when he took on Mereen's champion? He wasn't "cool" then?

Here's the kicker, Bronn was scared shitless to go against the mountain, Dario would have seen him as another notch in his belt.

Bronn knew as soon as the Dothraki swatted away his knife that he was done. The fact that Bronn started running away from a fight with a single Dothraki tells you that he's no match for Dario. Not even close.

I liked Daario and I miss him. It would have been hilarious watching him essentially be like,

giphy.gif

as a counter point every time Tyrion suggested a more neutered response. The producers are absolutely right in that Cersei is playing by a rule book that will eventually need some tough choices to be made to counter. When the enemy has a policy of anything and everything is on the table, being weak and timid is how you're going to end up losing. Might as well sail back to Mereen.

Volimar

Probably several days passed between that battle and Tyrion deciding to reach out to Jaime. By then he'd probably heard that he survived.

It's like when people say "If you hate it so much why do you watch it?"....I don't hate GoT...it's just gotten so sloppy and the source material deserves better creatives adapting it for TV I can't help but feel sorry for it. It'll be an "All-Timer" TV Show but not really for writing quality etc....but I love watching it because its fun to see what happens, it looks great for the most part and there really isn't anything like it on TV.

I feel like the set pieces are good and some of the time the show doesn't deserve the actors who portray the characters - like I feel Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's emoting makes me want Jaime to have redemption and make it more than the way the character is written...if that makes sense : /

I still remember seeing a trailer for Season 1 on Sky years ago and thinking " Oh shit, an HBO fantasy TV show? This could be interesting...." and it balloons into maybe the biggest show in the world. I know they've been using Cheat Engine to be on like 20x turbo mode this season with the pacing but I still worry they'll go wayyyyyyyy back in the other direction if Season 8 has 90 minute episodes...or that it'll just feel convoluted from a ridiculous amount of superfluous plot to pad it out.

It'll be fun to see regardless :p

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What gets me is the guy was literally 20 feet from Dany. She saw him go into the water. Yet she didn't have someone search for him?

Even a line like: "We're still searching for your commander, Lord Tarly. You seem to have more honor in facing me than he did once defeated" or whatever... something to that effect.

Maybe she thought Drogon burned him, it all happened so fast so she didn't see him fall into the water, so who knows.
And Tyrion didn't want his brother captured and possibly burned alive, so he kept his mouth shut.

All of this could have been answered if they took the time to show the reactions of Dany & Tyrion, would only have taken a few more extra mins.

pablito

Bronn was scared but not shitless. He told Tyrion that he could evade and such but one slip up and he's done. Which he's right. He wasn't taking the risk. I do think Daario would be more confident to take on The Mountain than Bronn though.

edit: And Bronn wasn't scared of The Hound, who successfully kept The Mountain at bay when he attacked Loras. Not as tall or strong, but still fuckin tall and strong. And faster than The Mountain (everyone probably is lol).

I think Cercei is referring to Jaime letting Tyrion go the first time, not this particular meeting.

Also - I think I asked this before. We know Dorne leadership is all but eradicated but there is a whole country and group of ppl right? Shouldn't the Dorne army play some role now? Esp when they might know what happened to their Queen?

Dorne has been spectacularly mishandled. I don't see how the sand snakes became the legitimate leaders, since they are just Prince Oberyn's concubine and bastards.
I don't know how things are supposed to be in Dorne, but I don't see the people just accepting Oberyn's lover, let alone the power vacuum caused when their new ruler and her daughters immediately fuck off to KL and Dragonstone. Who is supposed to be running things while they are away (or dead)?

I suspect it's out of the show for good now. There are no Dornish characters left alive, and it's getting way too late for them to introduce a new major character. The only chance is if there is some Dornish representative introduced at this peace summit thing that Dany/Tyrion proposed to Jaime/Cersei.
Or I guess Elaria may still be alive and could be rescued by Davos/Tyrion/Varys (since they might know the secret passages below the Red Keep). That seems like a possible scenario.
I think Ellaria's actress believes she's not coming back, though this could be misdirection.

By the way, what happened to Grey Worm? Shouldn't he be back by now, since the Lanisters have had time to return from Highgarden.
And how did he get to Casterly Rock? Going by boat would mean sailing with Yara/Ellaria since the only way to there from Dragonstone is to go around Dorne. And they'd sail right past the Dornish capital. I don't see how it was possible for Euron to attack just Yara (the dialogue establishes that the attack was on the way to Dorne, not on the way back.

Dario is a better knife thrower than Bronn. So he wins I guess lol

It's not just knife throwing. Dario is a straight up pitfighter and assassin. We've seen him take on multiple guys and multiple Dothrakis single handedly.

Bronn was a deadman by a Dothraki if he didn't find the Scorpion.

Bronn's not in the same league as Dario.

I think they are in comparable leagues, however Daario is maybe 5-10 years younger than Bronn, so...it would be an interesting toss up.

Heshinsi

Dorne has been spectacularly mishandled. I don't see how the sand snakes became the legitimate leaders, since they are just Prince Oberyn's concubine and bastards.
I don't know how things are supposed to be in Dorne, but I don't see the people just accepting Oberyn's lover, let alone the power vacuum caused when their new ruler and her daughters immediately fuck off to KL and Dragonstone. Who is supposed to be running things while they are away (or dead)?

I suspect it's out of the show for good now. There are no Dornish characters left alive, and it's getting way too late for them to introduce a new major character. The only chance is if there is some Dornish representative introduced at this peace summit thing that Dany/Tyrion proposed to Jaime/Cersei.
Or I guess Elaria may still be alive and could be rescued by Davos/Tyrion/Varys (since they might know the secret passages below the Red Keep). That seems like a possible scenario.
I think Ellaria's actress believes she's not coming back, though this could be misdirection.

By the way, what happened to Grey Worm? Shouldn't he be back by now, since the Lanisters have had time to return from Highgarden.
And how did he get to Casterly Rock? Going by boat would mean sailing with Yara/Ellaria since the only way to there from Dragonstone is to go around Dorne. And they'd sail right past the Dornish capital. I don't see how it was possible for Euron to attack just Yara (the dialogue establishes that the attack was on the way to Dorne, not on the way back.

Ellaria was saying something about bastards not having the same stigma in Dorne as in elsewhere in Westeros. With Oberyn mentioning to Cersei that he has eight daughters, that leaves five more sand snakes alive. Naturally Ellaria would leave one of them in charge while she's gone. We've already seen young kids being the heads of their family in the Mormonts, Umber, and Karstarks.

What isn't realistic is a Sand Snake run Dorne, with a fresh and unaffected by war army, just not doing anything at all. Like even if they introduced a bad ass Dornish commander showing up with the Dornish army like "Sand Snake #4 has sent me to aid you and keep to our commitments your grace", it would make things be more logical. You don't even need to give any of them speaking lines except for the commander, so they essentially become another Unsullied.

effzee

I mean they could have the Dorne army show up to a large battle to help out Danny, much like the Vale showed up in B.O.B to help Jon.

It annoyed you because mistakes used to have consequences on this show before, it's a sudden shift in how the series is run just to rush to GRRM's outlined ending they probably have.

Same here - but even more than mistakes or jumping from one location to another, I wonder if this is the story GRRM outlined for D and D. I know he told them how it ends and he still consults with them, but really curious to see if these are his ideas or if D&D are just making up the journey to the ending he already outlined.

By the way, what happened to Grey Worm? Shouldn't he be back by now, since the Lanisters

Didn't bother me up until this past episode and again it was more because the mistakes or location hopping were as a result of a plot point which didn't make sense. Things like Jamie surviving or not being captured. The plan to sneak in Tyrion for 2.5 minutes, get Gendry, and then the most ridiculous plan to capture a WW to convince Cercei of its existence.

I still keep thinking how much easier it would have been to have Jamie captured, burn the Tarlys to demonstrate her strength once again, but then to have Tyrion talk her away from burning Jamie.

They then send Jamie and Bronn up to East Watch with Jon as part of the group to capture a WW. You end up in the same place going into ep 6 but with a much more natural flow of the story.

I think the location scouts fucked up or weren't briefed correctly.
It should've been a fast-flowing river.
It'd make a lot more sense if Jaime fell into the river and was swept away, rather than being dragged across a flat-as-glass lake for about 10 miles in platemail without being spotted.
Plus, a treacherous river could have a bridge, making it an obvious spot for an ambush and allowing some obvious visual clues about part of the army escaping over the bridge with the gold, while the slower wagons are cut off. I guess the CGI/set dressing on a bridge would be expensive, but a river should be within budget.

As soon as that episode ended with Bronn saving Jaime, I knew they would pull that shit where in the next episode they'd emerge safely clear of the battlefield. Execution was so poor on it.

It still irks me how Dorne literally just felt like the location they shot at. You could feel the limitations that were imposed on the filming there. All of Dorne is just the water gardens. I don't think we ever even get a sweeping shot of the whole kingdom other than maybe the credits. We don't get the streets and alleys of the place like we do in Braavos. It's just the water gardens.

Heshinsi

It still irks me how Dorne literally just felt like the location they shot at. You could feel the limitations that were imposed on the filming there. All of Dorne is just the water gardens. I don't think we ever even get a sweeping shot of the whole place other than maybe the credits. We don't get the streets and alleys of the place like we do in Braavos. It's just the water gardens.

We saw more regular people at Villa Tarly than we have for all of Dorne. Dorne essentially is a military state, where there two wine servants, one now dead messenger, the royal family, and a bunch of stone faced soldiers.

Ellaria was saying something about bastards not having the same stigma in Dorne as in elsewhere in Westeros. With Oberyn mentioning to Cersei that he has eight daughters, that leaves five more sand snakes alive. Naturally Ellaria would leave one of them in charge while she's gone. We've already seen young kids being the heads of their family in the Mormonts, Umber, and Karstarks.

What isn't realistic is a Sand Snake run Dorne, with a fresh and unaffected by war army, just not doing anything at all. Like even if they introduced a bad ass Dornish commander showing up with the Dornish army like "Sand Snake #4 has sent me to aid you and keep to our commitments your grace", it would make things be more logical. You don't even need to give any of them speaking lines except for the commander, so they essentially become another Unsullied.

Ah, interesting. I didn't realise Oberyn had 8 daughters. I assumed the whole Dornish family were just Ellaria, the 3 snakes, Oberyn, Dr. Bashir and the prince they poisoned.

Recreat3

Ah, interesting. I didn't realise Oberyn had 8 daughters. I assumed the whole Dornish family were just Ellaria, the 3 snakes, Oberyn, Dr. Bashir and the prince they poisoned.

I think they mentioned his offspring when he first came into the show. Correct me if im wrong.

We saw more regular people at Villa Tarly than we have for all of Dorne. Dorne essentially is a military state, where there two wine servants, one now dead messenger, the royal family, and a bunch of stone faced soldiers.

I know Dorne is the smaller of the seven kingdoms, but it's still a kingdom right? I was like goddamn this place is empty for being a royal palace.

FiggyCal

Banned
Why didn't they just have Dany capture Jaime and Bronn? They could've still kept their dumb plot point of Jon going to get a wight to show Cersei and Tyrion's emotional scene. They could've even sent Jaime back as a sign of goodwill for the cease fire or whatever.

Recreat3

Why didn't they just have Dany capture Jaime and Bronn? They could've still kept their dumb plot point of Jon going to get a wight to show Cersei and Tyrion's emotional scene. They could've even sent Jaime back as a sign of goodwill for the cease fire or whatever.

Because plot arnour..and they obviously have a path for both of those characters. Of they got dany to capture them then it would add more story and possibly the need for more episodes. Everything is hurrying along becuase we only have about 8? Episodes to go.

Top Bottom