• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Poor Prince Rhaegar. The only man in Westeros denied the right to have son carry his name even after it's discovered that he was lawfully wed to his beloved Lyanna. Y'all are some heartless assholes lol. Oh well, that means that a Stark can't lay claim to the Targaryen crown too right? :)

Rhaegar probably deserves it for messing up as bad as he did.
Lyanna running off with him without consulting anybody was just as dumb.

I hope we get a flashback to explain his actions, because all I see is an arsehole too obsessed with prophecy. He's romanticised by the fandom..

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Has there been any reason for why they reduced the number of episodes for the last 2 seasons. Is it just because each episodes are getting more & more expensive? Because they're out of content to take from the books? Has much as I like how the story is moving, it may be moving a bit too fast.

Has there been any reason for why they reduced the number of episodes for the last 2 seasons. Is it just because each episodes are getting more & more expensive? Because they're out of content to take from the books? Has much as I like how the story is moving, it may be moving a bit too fast.
From the OP:
1. Why are there only 7 episodes this season and 6 episodes for the final season?

The scope and scale of the show has increased significantly from where things began, and they don't have the time, money, and other resources to produce more episodes in a year. After Season 6, Benioff and Weiss felt that 13 episodes would be enough to conclude the story, and crafting 7 one year and 6 the next fit the production timeline that they could achieve. Keep in mind that the episodes in season 7 are going to be longer than average, and the 7th episode of will be 81 minutes long.

It's a combination of production constraints and the amount of story left to tell according to this variety report on the matter: http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/game-of-thrones-end-date-season-8-1201752746/ No doubt HBO would like to produce more given its ever-increasing popularity, but given how 'big' events have gotten I can certainly understand the need for a shortened season.

EDIT: See above.

a916

From the OP:

I don't agree with the "that's how much story we have to tell" because the pacing of this season is break neck. Almost too fast.

I definitely think they are spending a lot of money on these big episodes. I mean the first episode started off with Euron boarding all those ships.

Vashetti

Banned

Both of these.

Budget has hit it's ceiling and they have a lot of large scale events to show as it's the endgame.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The fuck am I reading here

The idea that HBO didn't want 2 seasons of 10 strikes me as silly. Of course they wanted 2 seasons of 10; ratings on this are completely insane. The moments you're taking out by removing 7 episodes are largely character moments and not necessarily big expensive set-pieces.

Or ice and fire is Lyanna and Rhaegar, Jon is the song.

agtmbomg.gif

Vashetti

Banned
The actual truth.

The idea that HBO didn't want 2 seasons of 10 is silly. Of course they wanted 2 seasons of 10. Ratings on this are completely insane. The moments you're taking out by removing 7 episodes are largely character moments and not necessarily big expensive set-pieces.

HBO DID ask for two 10 episode final seasons.

D&D wanted to end it with one 10 episode season.

They met roughly in the middle with a shortened 7 episode Season 7 and a 6 episode Season 8.

D&D simply don't feel they have enough material left to fill two full seasons.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The idea that HBO didn't want 2 seasons of 10 strikes me as silly. Of course they wanted 2 seasons of 10; ratings on this are completely insane. The moments you're taking out by removing 7 episodes are largely character moments and not necessarily big expensive set-pieces.
It's a combination of both as BOTH take huge amounts of effort from the cast and crew.

In writing stories, having work to reference from is critical to timelines. When you have to invent the stories, it's a lot longer.

For example, Ned's death. That might take a lot longer to do if they have no source material to set it up.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Or ice and fire is Lyanna and Rhaegar, Jon is the song.

Ice (White Walkers) and Fire (Jon/Dany Targaryen). How poetic would it be that the Targaryen babies that were either exiled or kept hidden, end up being what saves the world. Fuck you Robert for trying to kill them.

Hydrus

They met roughly in the middle with a shortened 7 episode Season 7 and a 6 episode Season 8.

It's been pretty obvious this season should of been 10 episodes. It's felt rushed at times. So I really don't believe the whole " not enough material" stuff for this season at least.

I wonder if, in the end, things are going to get really dire in Westeros, the army of the dead keeps marching and resurrecting armies at a time, dragons are effective but also too vulnerable, but Dany's deeds in Essos lead to a huge reinforcement coming to fight for her just in time.

Maybe Dany dies, but the example of her rule was what united the forces necessary.

Vashetti

Banned
It's been pretty obvious this season should of been 10 episodes. It's felt rushed at times. So I really don't believe the whole " not enough material" stuff for this season at least.

It feels rushed because they literally have no material to adapt.

They're working off a bullet point list of the final part of the story from GRRM.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Think about this, the actors get paid by the episode. Cutting from 10 to 7 easily saves them at least $10 Million per season, even if the episodes are slightly longer.

Astral Dog

They had two whole books to pick from 😉

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Given how oddly paced this season is compared to previous seasons, this seems like a lie they told so that they can just be finished with GoT and not be burdened with it like GRRM has for their entire professional careers.

Whether making a show about slavery in the modern US is the better career move, I don't know. But they already aren't winning any fans with that announcement.

a916

Ice (White Walkers) and Fire (Jon/Dany Targaryen). How poetic would it be that the Targaryen babies that were either exiled or kept hidden, end up being what saves the world. Fuck you Robert for trying to kill them.

I always thought Jon was the ice and Dany was the fire...

Rhaegar was more responsible than the Mad King ever was for the countless who died during Robert's Rebellion, including members of his own family(which he set aside). Even Viserys and his pregnant mother narrowly escaped with their lives.

I don't know if I can blame Lyanna, though she doesn't get a full pass.
If she wasn't aware of the damage her and Rhaegar was causing than she was being wilfully ignorant.
I find it hard to believe she has no idea that Rickard and Brandon were killed, with Eddard soon following them if things were different.

I don't believe Rhaegar loved Lyanna as much as he was infatuated with her, he wanted a union of Ice and Fire and he probably knew the cost.

Jon Snow choosing to keep the name "Snow" would be the biggest "Fuck you" to Rhaegar, I'd personally enjoy that but I suppose it'll go a different direction.

Dabanton

Oh FFS.

Stay off Youtube if you want to remain unspoilt.

Not even comments some dolt has put up scenes and descriptions and their 'trending'.

I doubt those will be the only ones today. Stay safe

Nameless

Who the fuck is Rhaegar? It's Raggar!

Gilly Flower >>>>>. Her and Little Sam will save the world by convincing their White Walker brothers to back off and chill out.

samn

Think about this, the actors get paid by the episode. Cutting from 10 to 7 easily saves them at least $10 Million per season, even if the episodes are slightly longer.

Yeah but they make less money on subs and iTunes rentals and worldwide licensing.

Rhaegar was more responsible than the Mad King ever was for the countless who died during Robert's Rebellion, including members of his own family(which he set aside). Even Viserys and his pregnant mother narrowly escaped with their lives.

If she wasn't aware of the damage her and Rhaegar was causing than she was being wilfully ignorant.
I find it hard to believe she has no idea that Rickard and Brandon were killed, with Eddard soon following them if things were different.

I don't believe Rhaegar loved Lyanna as much as he was infatuated with her, he wanted a union of Ice and Fire and he probably knew the cost.

Jon Snow choosing to keep the name "Snow" would be the biggest "Fuck you" to Rhaegar, I'd personally enjoy that but I suppose it'll go a different direction.

It's still possible Robert could have acted deceptively as well. Like Lyanna actually told him
she would not marry him, despite what their fathers had arranged, and that she loved Rhaegar, and Robert made some kind of threat like he'd turn House Baratheon on the Starks for dishonoring the betrothal or something, and so Rhaegar actually fled with her.

Or Robert was so broken by learning she did not love him back, loved Rhaegar instead, and he became all consumed with bringing Rhaegar down, and conspired to do so.

I mean all the show has told us is that Brandon Stark got word of Rhaegar abducting Lyanna and rode to KL, the stupid Mad King arrested him, and then Rickon Stark went to get him and they both got executed and the rebellion was officially on.

There's a lot of plot wiggle room around the details of the abduction and who notified Brandon Stark.

L.O.R.D

wait a minute,fuck

the episode got leaked?
WTF?
just saw someone on twitter posted very huge spoiler about 6 and 7

how i going to survive until the next episode? god helps us all.

Artdayne

There's no way to know how much Rhaegar loved Lyanna. What we do know is that Rhaegar was well loved by the people and for a reason. Annulling his first marriage wasn't a very noble thing to do but I'm sure it was a forced marriage as was the way things were in Westeros, so I do think it's a bit more understandable.

The Mad King likely knew where they were, he chose to burn the Starks that's what led to the war, that's not Rhaegar's doing. I definitely do have a question about why all of that was so secretive though.

I seriously doubt Jon Snow is going to keep the name "Snow" just as a fuck you to someone dead, who is held in great respect by most people, whom Jon has no reason to hate.

Top Bottom