• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Because Bronn and Jaime are better than Olympic level divers lol. The story has gotten to my "shit I'm getting tired now, let me just quickly throw shit in here to hit the word count limit, and get to the conclusion paragraph" levels.

Surfinn

Because Bronn and Jaime are better than Olympic level divers lol. The story has gotten to my "shit I'm getting tired now, let me just quickly throw shit in here to hit the word count limit, and get to the conclusion paragraph."

I would imagine Jaime had a shitton of weight on him too from the armor

Bronn was scared but not shitless. He told Tyrion that he could evade and such but one slip up and he's done. Which he's right. He wasn't taking the risk. I do think Daario would be more confident to take on The Mountain than Bronn though.

edit: And Bronn wasn't scared of The Hound, who successfully kept The Mountain at bay when he attacked Loras. Not as tall or strong, but still fuckin tall and strong. And faster than The Mountain (everyone probably is lol).

Bronn wasn't scared because he had his knife. His move was to sneak that knife to even the odds.

FiggyCal

Banned
Because Bronn and Jaime are better than Olympic level divers lol. The story has gotten to my "shit I'm getting tired now, let me just quickly throw shit in here to hit the word count limit, and get to the conclusion paragraph."

That's how I feel about the scene where Gilly drops a bomb about Jon. It felt like they needed to meet a word limit for the episode but they didn't want to go over - so they just threw it in too. Like no care was put into it fitting into the larger story being told at all.

I was not a fan of that last episode.

Cappa

Banned
I dont understand Bran, hes supposed to see everything past present and future but does fuck all so far. Even the family tie reveal between Jon and Daenerys will probably revealed by Ginny/Sam before Bran does it.

I dont understand Bran, hes supposed to see everything past present and future but does fuck all so far.

He's playing 3 dimensional chess. Littlefinger thinks he's getting one over Arya, but Bran's got some shit set up to trap his ass. The maester reports and takes order from Bran as well. I bet he told him to play along with Littlefinger's games.

Because plot arnour..and they obviously have a path for both of those characters. Of they got dany to capture them then it would add more story and possibly the need for more episodes. Everything is hurrying along becuase we only have about 8? Episodes to go.

Plot armor doesn't explain that. The poster you quoted is saying it would make more sense and be more efficient if they had just captured Jamie and figured out their plan as usual while letting Jaime go back to Kings Landing in good faith with said plan. If the plan was to talk to Jaime, the showrunners should had just had them capture him.

And I do agree. It would had made way more sense to have Jaime captured and then released with the same exact plan. I guess it could had just been a plot device to get Gendry honestly.

FiggyCal

Banned
I dont understand Bran, hes supposed to see everything past present and future but does fuck all so far. Even the family tie reveal between Jon and Daenerys will probably revealed by Ginny/Sam before Bran does it.

I don't think he can see everything. Like he can't control his powers that well yet. He was surprised, for example, that Arya decided to not go to King's Landing. And I'm pretty sure Bran realizes telling everyone that Jon is a Targaryen would be a horrible mistake and wants a private conversation with him.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

He said he wanted to speak to Jon, so he's probably going to tell him and just him. It makes the whole King in the North thing a bit more complicated if they find out the reason they made him leader is no longer valid.

Actually, I just realize that this means that Sansa might be Queen in the North one day. That better not happen...

aBarreras

He said he wanted to speak to Jon, so he's probably going to tell him and just him. It makes the whole King in the North thing a bit more complicated if they find out the reason they made him leader is no longer valid.

Actually, I just realize that this means that Sansa might be Queen in the North one day. That better not happen...

he is still a Stark. the reason they made him leader is still valid, he is a Stark raised by Ned

FiggyCal

Banned
Plot armor doesn't explain that. The poster you quoted is saying it would make more sense and be more efficient if they had just captured Jamie and figured out their plan as usual while letting Jaime go back to Kings Landing in good faith with said plan. If the plan was to talk to Jaime, the showrunners should had just had them capture him.

And I do agree. It would had made way more sense to have Jaime captured and then released with the same exact plan. I guess it could had just been a plot device to get Gendry honestly.

This was exactly what I was thinking, including the part about it being a device to get Gendry.

I guess it remains to be seen if Gendry is somehow important. It's entirely possible that he just dies these next episodes (his story is basically useless and doesn't really tie back into the larger plot)... and even if it was just to get Gendry, surely there could have been a less convoluted way to do it.

Edit: Another leak? And it's only Wednesday ;_; I can feel the spoilers coming.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
he is still a Stark. the reason they made him leader is still valid, he is a Stark raised by Ned

I think things might change if they find out he's actually Rhaegar Targaryen's kid since they fought a war against his family. It's like finding out he's actually a Lannister kid or something.
Or ice and fire is Lyanna and Rhaegar, Jon is the song.

KyabCxR.gif

Hydrus

This show is realllly hurting by the accelerated pacing. It's still enjoyable, but it rarely hits the high that made me fall in love.

Wait, what. Really?

They should just fucking release this one, then. Either way, hopefully everyone can remain unspoiled. I know I'm waiting til Sunday.

Eh nevermind. Best not to ask. My post got deleted. Just watch on sunday and be careful of social media.

FiggyCal

Banned
I just thought of something. Does Benjen know about Jon? That could be major if they meet him past the wall.

Maybe Bran has something else he wants to tell Jon? That'd be neat.

I dont understand Bran, hes supposed to see everything past present and future but does fuck all so far.
Bran has (apparently) seen the entire past of Westeros. He can see the present when touching a weirwood tree. We have no reason to believe he can see the future.

The only people that get glimpses of the future are Red Priests and that witch Cersei talked to.

Tenck

Episode 6 leaked and someone has been uploading clips of it with huge spoilers in the titles. Just thought I'd give a heads up since it just randomly showed up in my feed and I've never seen a video from the guy ever.

Hydrus

I just thought of something. Does Benjen know about Jon? That could be major if they meet him past the wall.

Maybe Bran has something else he wants to tell Jon? That'd be neat.

Well it was his Sis who gave birth, so I'm guessing just him and Ned know.

FiggyCal

Banned
Bran has (apparently) seen the entire past of Westeros. He can see the present when touching a weirwood tree. We have no reason to believe he can see the future.

The only people that get glimpses of the future are Red Priests and that witch Cersei talked to.

I think Bran saw the Sept blowing up before it happened.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I actually do not think it will ever become knowledge of relevance to anyone other than Daenerys and Jon.

And I guess Sam and Gilly assuming they ever discover the significance of it.

Boke1879

This show is realllly hurting by the accelerated pacing. It's still enjoyable, but it rarely hits the high that made me fall in love.

Nah it's fine. I don't need to wait 3 episodes to finally see a character make it to their destination.

If anything it's helping this season immensely.

Boke1879

Episode 6 leaked and someone has been uploading clips of it with huge spoilers in the titles. Just thought I'd give a heads up since it just randomly showed up in my feed and I've never seen a video from the guy ever.

Yea I think HBO Spain fucked up and released it early.

So how did Bron and Jamie go unnoticed by a Dragon & Dany, who were within FEET of them both and the whole Dokrathi army?

Did they hold their breath in the stream for an hour?

And how did they make it all the way back to King's Landing while the rest of the Tyrell army was being rounded up?

---I know, I know... just pretend and suspend all disbelief.

That was a REALLY BIG stretch to accept though...

Jackpot

Banned
They should have a whole Bran episode, showing off key parts of pre-GOT lore and highlighting the key themes.

If you show how he actually lives whole lifetimes in all these extended memories his idiot-act would make sense. You can show he's not in control of his powers yet, you can show key parts of Robert's Rebellion as they're not doing a spin-off about that, you can help tie all the character stories and themes together over the long 7 years the show's been on so viewers can be caught up on everything without it devolving into a clips show.

Beefy

What pisses me off is that spoilers are popping up on NEWS FEEDS... I mean, damn it.

I know how not to CLICK on a link, but the damn news feeds are automatically there on most of my pages.

They are everywhere, like I didn't even click on a link and it had the whole end of the season episodes info in bullet points on it!

His vision way back when also had a lot of future events in it, he even saw a Dragon flying over King's Landing.
You're right . I guess Bran probably knows how everything will unfold and how he can influence those events.

And since I don't want to be Bran, it seems I need to avoid this place for a couple of weeks.

Audioboxer

Just caught up on this season. Really enjoyable but I'm sure 'fast travel' has been meme'd back and forth a million times.

Obviously down to pacing changes, less episodes and more budget being spent on action and battles.

Neece

I find I hard to believe Dany would let Jaimie go, even in good faith. Jaimie killed her father, Mad King or not. And she already has spoken about Tyrion being soft on his family. Letting the chief military Lannister commander go just doesn't seem like something the "bend the knee or burn" woman would do. If anything she would have held him hostage and sent Tyrion or Varys directly to talk to her and negotiate an
armistice.

- The Verge Interview: Game of Thrones’ first AD on the challenges of Eastwatch, and how Jon Snow almost ‘turned into a human kite’

Good look into a complicated production.
Were there any particular budget challenges for “Eastwatch”?

Whenever a dragon appears, it’s expensive. And it’s a tricky one, too. The fans love them, but honestly, they’re very hard to work with. An actor is trying to act quite often with something that isn’t there, so they’re being challenged to emote while looking at a green screen, or a piece of green cloth. The sequence where Jon meets Drogon, we were filming on a cliff-edge in Northern Ireland, with very high winds, and Kit [Harington] had this safety rope attached to him, and a harness, because it was so windy. [Laughs] He had this heavy cape on, and had the wind picked up any more, he would have just turned into a human kite.

So you have him standing on a cliff-edge with a flapping cape, and a guy dressed in wet-weather gear, because it’s freezing, holding up a green ball on the end of a green stick. And that’s the dragon. It’s quite crude, actually. And then obviously everything is added in post. It looks preposterous, but you have to treat it seriously and create an atmosphere on set as if you’re at the theatre, while there’s all this anarchy going on. That’s an important aspect of what the assistant director is. What I have to do on set is make sure the machine moves fast, but the moment the camera rolls, you go into that quiet mode. Otherwise, nothing gets done.
What else was a challenge in “Eastwatch”?

The sequences on Dragonstone where Jon sails away were done on this incredible beach in Spain, and we chose it because, geologically speaking, the rock formations are stunning. It’s like nothing else. You could spend fortunes doing that with visual effects, but this site actually exists — the producers on Thrones are incredibly good at this, when they commit to an idea fully, when they think it’s worth it. So they said, “This is a beach that’s worth us going to.”

But what it meant, going there at that time of year, was that we were fighting the tide. Normally, we have a 10-hour filming day. There, we had like six and a half hours. We started with the cast at the lip of the beach, maybe 400, 500 feet from the cliff. And by the end of the filming day, you were fighting for space to put your feet on the sand, because the tide had come in so much, and it was very rough. So we were often having to cut mid-take, because the cast were getting washed away. So what you see as a tiny two-minute sequence cost us days of filming, and we were all wet up to the waist for most of it. But you anticipate these problems, you always make sure it’s safe, and you allocate time to it.
How is Game of Thrones different from other series you’ve worked on?

Thrones is a unique animal. Normally when you have a TV schedule, one team starts to prepare, and once they’re filming, the second team starts preparing. So you top-and-tail. Thrones is different, because you all start pretty much the same time. You might have four or five teams — director, DoP, the first assistant director, and the second AD. They make up one team. Each team is allocated a color, and they are boarded across a very complex schedule, across many countries. We all share resources, and that breaks down into actors’ availability and sharing certain large pieces of equipment, such as cranes and sets.

This schedule gets even more complex, because you’re not just understanding your own scripts, you have to feed into others. And that means you need to understand all the characters’ throughlines and stories, because Dany might be filming something from the end of episode 3 on Monday, then on Tuesday, she could be filming something from episode 6. So her journey needs to be tracked, and made very clear for each story day.

What kind of decisions do you have to make as you’re balancing conflicts between ambition and budget?

It’s less a conflict, and more a series of small negotiations. One sequence that was spoken about in great detail was the loot train in “Spoils of War.” We had multiple dragon strafing runs to blow things up, but it was very expensive, and time is money on a film set. To allow the pyrotechnics team to rig a set, you have to leave it, and that costs you time. You can’t be on the set when it’s being prepared, so you have to move an enormous crew away. Then once you’ve blown it up, you need to dress it again, to make it look like it’s been blown up. So you have to balance the cost of multiple attack runs with how it’s going to look, and the time it’s going to cost you to have all these different stages of set dressing. Those kinds of fine details require an awful lot of negotiations and planning. So you involve all of the [heads of department] and get their opinions, and they find the strongest throughline and the best plan that accommodates every department. And that becomes your shooting schedule.

Also:

- Promo photos from Ep 6 (please spoiler tag discussion)

Nameless

Honestly last episode was the only one where the brisk pacing actually hurt the story or characters in any real way and I'm not talking about travel which virtually every show that covers a lot of distance handles the same way:

Jorah/Dany - definitely could be used a brief scene of those two catching up in private before Jorah turns around and leaves again. An extra 6 minutes for that stuff would've been awesome.

Bronn/Tyrion - This has been 3 years in the making and they just yadda yadda passed it in favor of an unsurprising surprise reunion between Jaime and Tyrion? The lead in to that scene wasn't worth sacrificing one with Bronn.

The Plan - I include this because while it's easily inferred what bringing a live zombie to King's Landing is meant to accomplish overall, limiting the reasoning to convincing Cersei(and later her and Dany) clearly confused people and could've been clarified with another 10-15 seconds of dialogue.

Those are really the only three instances this season where I thought they should've slowed the fuck down a bit.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Poor Prince Rhaegar. The only man in Westeros denied the right to have his son carry his name even after it's discovered that he was lawfully wed to his beloved Lyanna. Y'all are some heartless assholes lol. Oh well, that means that a Stark can't lay claim to the Targaryen crown too right? :)

It also would have helped to explain why Tormund kept the Hound and the Brotherhood locked up, why are they being held prisoner? For wanting to cross to the north side of the wall?

It would have made more sense if they met up with them along the way, or even just outside the south side of the wall.

At this point it makes it seem like the conversation went like this.

Bhood: Hey, we've got to get to the North side of the wall.
NW: Why?
Bhood: We've a higher purpose in the coming war.
NW: Sorry, go to jail.
Bhood: Okay.

Top Bottom