• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really enjoyed the episode and at times loved it, but overall wasn't crazy blown away, largely because Snow's story (despite liking the character) seems immensely undercooked and littered with dull development and dumb decisions. This was clearly supposed to be a really big event but such little time has been spent on the wildlings beyond "RRRORAR WILD FOLK" that it was hard to invest. Blackwater, by comparison, despite being a simpler soldier battle, benefited from the hours of exposition at Kings Landing and the investment I had in the characters. As well as the immediate ramifications for failure.

Really great action and I do love what they've done with Snow over this season. Liked the exposition with his bros. The Sam stuff was two dimensional. The whole wall + wildlings plot line just, as a whole, feels undercooked and disconnected.

I honestly don´t care about the Wildlings and their cause whatsoever, mostly because i knew very little about the White Walkers, their purpose and how they come to exist. Yeah, i am talking how their boss came to exist and how come he has the ability to turn humans into White Walkers. The Wildlings severely lack a back story that explains everything, beyond they kicked us out of our land and we want it back.

I honestly don´t care about the Wildlings and their cause whatsoever, mostly because i knew very little about the White Walkers, their purpose and how they come to exist. Yeah, i am talking how their boss came to exist and how come he has the ability to turn humans into White Walkers. The Wildlings severely lack a back story that explains everything, beyond they kicked us out of our land and we want it back.

The Wildlings want to breach the Wall more for their own survival than for "taking back what is theirs".

As Mance said, the way he united all these different wildling clans is that he told them they were all going to die if they didn't.

Because the white walkers are gaining strength, and winter is coming, and it's coming more fiercely and more imminently north of the wall.

I don't get how anyone could not like this episode, it was leaps and bounds better than Blackwater and I loved Blackwater.
Why? Explain your opinion.

Because i am not emotionally invested in the Wildling cause whatsoever. Because there´s no depth to the Wildlings backstory yet, therefor i feel emotionally detached from this episode. While i like John Snow, in this episode i thought he was flat, ie. as if there was no immediate danger surrounding him and his reactions detached from the rest. If Ygrit (sp) survived it would have been great because she could make his character blossom further. I rally don´t know (or forgotten) the reason why he joined the Night´s Watch in the first place. And honestly i don´t really care.
The Wildlings want to breach the Wall more for their own survival than for "taking back what is theirs".

As Mance said, the way he united all these different wildling clans is that he told them they were all going to die if they didn't.

Because the white walkers are gaining strength, and winter is coming, and it's coming more fiercely and more imminently north of the wall.

Yes i do understand it´s a survival issue, they just did not get plenty of air time, so i don´t care about them. I cared about Ygrit because she could change John´s views on life and it would be interesting dynamic between the 2, had she survived.

Nameless

I was originally cold on the idea of a static Wall episode but it succeded in doing what it needed to do.

-Provide a memorable action packed battle episode
-Bring The Wall storyline closer to center stage
-Solidify Jon Snow as a leader of men and a character the audience should root fervently for going forward.

To me it felt like a major and necessary investment in future seasons. No, we haven't spent a lot of time with these characters. So it was crucial that we have the opportunity to do so as the central story begins to shift, I think, from the 'Game', to mankind fighting for its survival against the White Walkers.

My other complaint for this episode, was it so hard to squeeze a 10 minute segment of Osha or Bran's journeys? The episode was only 50 minutes too.

KaiserBecks

Good episode, didn't like it. This one is probably great for people who have read the books or watch the show on DVD/Blu Ray, but I just want to know what happens next in King's Landing. This is exactly why I usually wait for the season to be finished, before I start watching it. Only this time I just couldn't.

Of course they looked fake, they're giants riding mamoths in a fantasy setting. I thought the CGI worked well, excellent visuals throughout the ep.

There's a difference between looking fake because it is a make-believe creature, and looking fake because of the way the creature is created/filmed. That's why I stated my preference for Henson muppets and pure, non-CGI costuming. I'm fine with CGI for arrows and walls and stuff. I just don't like when it's added to living things. I will of course accept it in lieu of risky animal use, however. My entertainment is not worth death. I just wish they wouldn't focus on it as much.

Sapiens

There's a difference between looking fake because it is a make-believe creature, and looking fake because of the way the creature is created/filmed. That's why I stated my preference for Henson muppets and pure, non-CGI costuming. I'm fine with CGI for arrows and walls and stuff. I just don't like when it's added to living things. I will of course accept it in lieu of risky animal use, however. My entertainment is not worth death. I just wish they wouldn't focus on it as much.

Oh lord, is "Henson muppets" becoming an annoying new thing?

Carbonox

That was such a good fucking episode. I don't usually care for the Castle Black stuff though I do like Jon Snow but that was action-packed and tense.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I have to admit I thought the giants and the mammoth looked pretty damn good. In fact I was waiting to see how it would come across when genuine "fantastic" elements clashed with forces in Westeros. And I felt they sold it.

Nameless

I've never figured out what people get from nitpicking visual effects. The giants and mammoths looked superb.

mamoth.gif

giant-arrow.gif

fire-mamoth.gif

You can feel the ground shake in that last GIF.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Hey guys, I've started the books but I could really use a quick (obviously spoiler free) way to match names to faces from the show. Anyone know where I can just find something like a quick dirty list with names and headshots?

Again, the giants were actors in suits/makeup shot in greenscreen and a half-scale tunnel. The only reason they looked fake was because they're imaginary beings. Personally I think they looked fantastic, especially the one giant who rushed the gate.

It was a bummer you don't get to watch that fight but splicing together shots of the big guy in the half-scale tunnel with the rest of them in the full-scale tunnel would have ended up looking pretty hokey.

hengyu

1. Please tell me someone .gif'd the guy getting launched a mile by that giants arrow.
2. The hammer through that guys skull was bru-fucking-tal. Loved it.
3. That one-shot of the whole battle going down was amazing. So much action, incredibly well done.

Here you go, a .gif that doesn't suck.

covxcg.gif

Or a gfy

pottuvoi

Banned
I've never figured out what people get from nitpicking visual effects. The giants and mammoths looked superb.
Indeed, the show has had very impressive VFX work for the last couple of seasons.
Especially as there are episodes like this which have huge variety of shots to complete.

Abounder

Banned
On a tangent: I hereby vote putting the BOOK SPOILERS thread in the Off Topic COMMUNITY section so dumbasses like me don't misclick for the next season. Thankfully nothing was spoiled.

Anyway this season went by so fast and in my opinion has been the most entertaining

Ceres

Banned
Hey guys, I've started the books but I could really use a quick (obviously spoiler free) way to match names to faces from the show. Anyone know where I can just find something like a quick dirty list with names and headshots?

HBO Viewers Guide?
http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season-1/episode-1/people/

Click the 2nd button that pops along the right side to get the entire list of characters and headshots for those available. Some names are listed that are talked of often but never had an actor play the character.

Blader

I really need to rewatch this episode. The production values were amazing even over my blurry ass HBO Go connection, but I need to see this shit again in crystal clear picture.

-Solidify Jon Snow as a leader of men and a character the audience should root fervently for going forward.

This was the most important thing for me. It's pretty clear that Jon is going to be one of the few characters in for the long haul, along with Tyrion and Dany. Before last night, I really couldn't have given that much of a shit about that, but now I'm pretty impressed with Jon's character.

The giants weren't CGI though. They were real actors in make-up and costume.

Spineker

Banned
Fuck the haters. That was, utterly, stupendous.

If they can pull that off with a T.V show, we need a Game of Thrones movie for the next major battle. The stuff they could do with a proper budget...

Wow, that was great. Probably the most well done episode of the entire series so far. The pace, the scale, the production value... Too bad there's only one week left. Gonna have to re-watch seasons 1-3 on Blu-ray as soon as possible.

How did they do the giants?

Any behind the scenes?

Really impressive stuff.

From last season:

d1vywfo.jpg

This episode was pretty meh, since it was just Jon Snow, Sam, Gilley and a bunch of fodder I don't even know the names of. Great episode for cleaning up the roster a bit, now we can get a focus on the more interesting stuff.

Drop the Scythe boys!!! Was a sweet as moment as well as the smug Nod on that kid.

Also I was talking with my date while we she was watching season 3. I told her How do you think the season was going to end? And she said
Bran is going to control the dragons, kill the zombies and become king
, MY JAW DROPPED

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
This is why I like Stannis. He has his army and could fight for the Iron Throne but is one of the very few people who see the importance of the wall/white walkers. Plus he's a man of law.

I don't think it's fair to give Stannis that credit. He was going to execute his own friend until the Red Woman intervened, and then told him they have to go north. Stannis doesn't do shit without someone else coming up with a plan or telling him what to do. Going to Bravos, not taking the Red Woman to the baltle of Blackwater Bay, executing "heathens", going North, etc. He's so meh.

Man this episode made me a believer in Sam. Dude did everything last night Lol

Ceres

Banned
Sweet sounds good. Thank you

I've never used it too much but looks like to avoid spoilers, it sort of only has a list based on seasons. So for instance there's no photo for Mace Tyrell under the Season 1 Episode 1 character list but there is for the current episode's character list.
So might not be the easiest list but there's no spoilers as long as you are caught up to the show.

This is why I like Stannis. He has his army and could fight for the Iron Throne but is one of the very few people who see the importance of the wall/white walkers. Plus he's a man of law.

I agree with you, but isn't the only reason he gives a shit because redhead-whats-her-face said it would be a good idea.

I'm glad someone gives a shit that the North is where the important battle is being fought though, even if he's doing it because some crazy chick saw something in fire.

I was originally cold on the idea of a static Wall episode but it succeded in doing what it needed to do.

-Provide a memorable action packed battle episode
-Bring The Wall storyline closer to center stage

welp. RIP Jon Snow

Spineker

Banned
I have a feeling Rayder and Snow are going to face off in a rather private 1 on 1 battle and Rayder is going to reveal something major about Jons character.

OP might help

On a tangent: I hereby vote putting the BOOK SPOILERS thread in the Off Topic COMMUNITY section so dumbasses like me don't misclick for the next season. Thankfully nothing was spoiled.

Anyway this season went by so fast and in my opinion has been the most entertaining

Sub the thread, only view from 'Subscriptions'

noscopeshoql8.gif

Fixed the fontssssss. Also inspired by Reddits

dead

kingocfs

The giants did look pretty fucking good. Especially loved that "hold the gate" scene with it charging towards them in the background. NOPE.

Personally this episode did more to make me care about the characters in a specific storyline than nearly any episode in this series. To see the odds of what these thieves and societal rejects are up against in defending from the north puts a lot of this world into perspective. I'll take episodes like this over painful filler like Unsullied romantic drama any day.

Sure most of the characters on the wall haven't exactly been fully developed up until now, but they don't need to be. How do you not feel for them now that you've felt the scale of what they'd be up against whenever those goddamn white walkers come knocking? It just further reiterates the fact that the bullshit everyone else is dealing with right now is secondary compared to the real threat. I think it was a necessary episode.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
If Mance allows himself to be convinced to do a 1v1 against Snow, he'd be the single dumbest character to ever set foot on this show. You have a 100,000 men at your command, you've got your enemy pushed to the absolute limit, and you would risk almost assured victory for what? If he doesn't have an arrow shot into Jon the minute he arrives, I'd be disappointed. Waited how many freaking years to make his move on the wall, and if it goes to shit because he fought Snow one on one, I'd laugh myself to death.

By the way, I like Jon. But this plan should be a stupid one, cause any rational thinking person in Mance's position would kill him on sight.

Maxim726X

The giants did look pretty fucking good. Especially loved that "hold the gate" scene with it charging towards them in the background. NOPE.

Personally this episode did more to make me care about the characters in a specific storyline than nearly any episode in this series. To see the odds of what these thieves and societal rejects are up against in defending from the north puts a lot of this world into perspective. I'll take episodes like this over painful filler like Unsullied romantic drama any day.

Sure most of the characters on the wall haven't exactly been fully developed up until now, but they don't need to be. How do you not feel for them now that you've felt the scale of what they'd be up against whenever those goddamn white walkers come knocking? It just further reiterates the fact that the bullshit everyone else is dealing with right now is secondary compared to the real threat. I think it was a necessary episode.

Everything that has involved Danerys this season has been terrible so far... I hope she gets involved in Westeros soon because I hate wasting precious time (almost) every episode to get an update about who she wants to bang.

I did not dislike the last episode like some folk did in here. I can understand that people wanted some closure after Oberyn's death but you can not just devote 2-3 episodes only regarding that storyline when you consider that the books do not as well. Castle Black's battle was long overdue and I was pleasantly surprised by the scale and effects of the battle. Some people tend to overlook the importance of The Wall and The Crows since the most 'important' situations happen in King's Landing this season. There is no vote when it comes down to series that are bound by books. They have to follow a storyline and can not just deviate from it without screwing up the importance of it.

By the way, I like Jon. But this plan should be a stupid one, cause any rational thinking person in Mance's position would kill him on sight.

I am having the feeling that the White Walkers will be of a huge importance regarding Snow's sneak attack on Mance.

Spineker

Banned
If Mance allows himself to be convinced to do a 1v1 against Snow, he'd be the single dumbest character to ever set foot on this show. You have a 100,000 men at your command, you've got your enemy pushed to the absolute limit, and you would risk almost assured victory for what? If he doesn't have an arrow shot into Jon the minute he arrives, I'd be disappointed. Waited how many freaking years to make his move on the wall, and if it goes to shit because he fought Snow one on one, I'd laugh myself to death.

He may not have a choice. Jon might successfully sneak up on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom